• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

Now if I could find high quality lens covers for my M5, like tenebrex or similar
I think aadmount flip caps are the best, they make some for the mk8 56 mm, I was thinking about getting some. I don’t like how the alumina doesn’t open all the way, flat

Last edited:
The aadmount mk8 flip caps will fit the mk5, the leupold rep I talked to said he had those on his rifle. I like tenebrex but I like aadmount better

Last edited:
I hope you are not paying sticker prices because vortex has their AMG for $3700 & their hd for $3400 on their website but most of here can easily find better prices buy calling different optic companies. I got my mk5 cch 25x on sale for $1750. All scope companies put a higher price on their products, it’s called msrp but most people shop around & find a deal

Yeah don't worry, I have a 60% discount direct from leupold. I still think it's fair to use their MSRP prices to establish the rough price difference. Dealers still get their prices modified off of the MSRP prices typically. So they're decent reference points. If they're saying it costs $600 more for illumination / a good mil reticle, well the aftermarket price for an illuminated tremor 3 mark 5 is probably going to be $2,500 instead of probably $2k-2.1k for a straight up tremor 3 reticle.

Yeah don't worry, I have a 60% discount direct from leupold. I still think it's fair to use their MSRP prices to establish the rough price difference. Dealers still get their prices modified off of the MSRP prices typically. So they're decent reference points. If they're saying it costs $600 more for illumination / a good mil reticle, well the aftermarket price for an illuminated tremor 3 mark 5 is probably going to be $2,500 instead of probably $2k-2.1k for a straight up tremor 3 reticle.
I agree they would probably sell a lot more scopes too if they didn’t charge that much extra for illumination. The cheapest non illuminated tmr is 1800 & illuminated is $2200. Tremor is 3 is $2050 non & $2400 illuminated. If they sold them all at $1800 no upcharges they would probably be the most popular scope

I agree they would probably sell a lot more scopes too if they didn’t charge that much extra for illumination. The cheapest non illuminated tmr is 1800 & illuminated is $2200. Tremor is 3 is $2050 non & $2400 illuminated. If they sold them all at $1800 no upcharges they would probably be the most popular scope

That's kind of where I'm coming from as well, or let's not say $1,800, because I can believe that there's some licensing with proprietary reticles as well as additional expense incurred doing illumination. But if we said, $2,000 for illuminated tremor 3. They'd be the most popular scopes there.

It's really easy to just always say "If they dropped their highest end price to the lowest end price they'd be the most popular." Sure, but let's assume they're not just doing it to make more money, that there is some cost, but we can probably agree that they're overcharging for that additional cost.

Mark 6's were a big blunder on leupolds part if you ask me, but the mark 5's have been phenomenal. Short of ATACR's, S&B's, USO B25s, Khales 624i's etc, I think they're the best on the market.

Plus when you get a 50% discount for military / LE or a 60% for dealer they are absolutely unbeatable.

When I was shopping for a new scope recently I was trying to find anything even close, but even with just 50% off that would make a mark 5 5-25 ~$1,650 after tax. I know there are a lot of military / former military on this forum, I seriously don't think you can get a better scope for that price. You have to get to ~$2,500 budget wise to get a scope that is tangibly better than a mark 5 in my opinion. Maybe I'm too much of a leupold fanboy.

I think the only competitive or maybe better scope price you can get would be vortex 50% off for military / LE on the AMG which makes it ~$1,800 (though that's before tax).

Reactions: vol375 and LAW-DOG
Could someone point me towards 35mm rings or a one piece mount with a built in cant of 20moa or more please?

I just ordered leupold mark 4 35mm rings, I also previously used a spuhr mount (which all have integragted bubble levels), Bobro also makes a 35mm QD mount.

Also Badger makes a great 35mm mount.

mk5 and 8.png

I just ordered leupold mark 4 35mm rings, I also previously used a spuhr mount (which all have integragted bubble levels), Bobro also makes a 35mm QD mount.

Also Badger makes a great 35mm mount.

I picked up an Aadmount for my Mk5 3.8-18. It is one tank of a mount.

My Mark 5 came back to me from Leupold today. They had it for less than week, I'm impressed. Fixed my turret and did a full inspection then 2nd day air'ed it back to me.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I got my aadmount flip caps & they did not fit but it’s not their fault they were designed for the mk8 56mm. Before I ordered them I called leupold & asked them if the mk8 56mm was the same size as the mk5 56mm & if the mk8 aadmount caps would fit & was told yes. They do not fit the mk5 but before I ordered them aadmount said I could send them back with the measurements of the mk5 56mm & they would take care of it. Maybe the leupold guy thought I was talking about scope rings & not flip caps but I thought I was clear about scope caps because I mentioned something about leupold caps not opening flat & the rep said he had some on his scope. Aadmount said will handle it. So if you are planning on getting nice caps maybe call aadmount first & give them the measurements. I measured 2.54 inches for the objective & 1.64 inches for the ocular

I got my aadmount flip caps & they did not fit but it’s not their fault they were designed for the mk8 56mm. Before I ordered them I called leupold & asked them if the mk8 56mm was the same size as the mk5 56mm & if the mk8 aadmount caps would fit & was told yes. They do not fit the mk5 but before I ordered them aadmount said I could send them back with the measurements of the mk5 56mm & they would take care of it. Maybe the leupold guy thought I was talking about scope rings & not flip caps but I thought I was clear about scope caps because I mentioned something about leupold caps not opening flat & the rep said he had some on his scope. Aadmount said will handle it. So if you are planning on getting nice caps maybe call aadmount first & give them the measurements. I measured 2.54 inches for the objective & 1.64 inches for the ocular
I had emailed Jon at Aadland to try to get confirmation the Mk8 caps would fit the Mark 5 but never got an answer. I'd really like a set for my Mark 5.

Reactions: vol375
I had emailed Jon at Aadland to try to get confirmation the Mk8 caps would fit the Mark 5 but never got an answer. I'd really like a set for my Mark 5.
Jon told me if it didn’t fit to take some measurements & send them back if it didn’t fit. Maybe they will have some already the same size on another scope or he will make new ones to fit. Aadmount flip caps are very nice & built like a tank & I like how the Allen tightens the cap to the scope

Aadmount flip cap

Attachments

• CBFB19F4-D8B1-4F9A-84C5-96C26E2E59BF.jpeg
    CBFB19F4-D8B1-4F9A-84C5-96C26E2E59BF.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 88
  • CFB40A15-5A47-4580-A36B-0EC4AB03F3B6.jpeg
    CFB40A15-5A47-4580-A36B-0EC4AB03F3B6.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 98
  • BCDC2D3D-BD4C-44C1-90A8-338A1A8C4586.jpeg
    BCDC2D3D-BD4C-44C1-90A8-338A1A8C4586.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 95BAA4E7-C07B-4F8D-B843-2E6715BB6298.jpeg
    95BAA4E7-C07B-4F8D-B843-2E6715BB6298.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 1AD80371-98A3-4DD1-9F1D-7809320DCA12.jpeg
    1AD80371-98A3-4DD1-9F1D-7809320DCA12.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 92
Jon told me if it didn’t fit to take some measurements & send them back if it didn’t fit. Maybe they will have some already the same size on another scope or he will make new ones to fit. Aadmount flip caps are very nice & built like a tank & I like how the Allen tightens the cap to the scope
Please let us know how the new caps work. I have a mark 5 5-25x56 I may get a set for

Looking for input on how the 3.6-18 does in low light. Looking for a lighter weight option than my big Razor 2 (Which is incredible). I'm in the southeast hunting pine thickets, so illumination is a must to squeeze every last minute out of the day.

I talked to a customer rep for leupold and he said the glass was the same as the vx5hd and vx6 hd. I haven’t looked through one at low light but the vxhd series get high praise for low light capability from what I’ve seen online.

To echo BGavin, most online reports I read prior to purchasing a Mk5 3.8 had very favorable comments regarding low light performance.

I should receive my Mk5 this week. .....so I'm going to find out pretty dang soon.

Unfortunately aadmount didn’t have any other scope caps that matched, so I took some measurements for Jon & he said he would start making them & they would be done by the end of the month.

To echo BGavin, most online reports I read prior to purchasing a Mk5 3.8 had very favorable comments regarding low light performance.

I should receive my Mk5 this week. .....so I'm going to find out pretty dang soon.
I was very impressed with the low light performance of the 3.6-18x44

So my Mk5 3.6 arrived. Sharp looking rifle scope. Then I start to play with it.

Mushy clicks that don't line up evenly. But I can live with that if it will track.

Then, I get about 2 1/2 turns on the elevation dial then it stops. The indicator "button" on top also doesn't pop up.

It appears that Leupold's customer service department is going to get an opportunity to shine. I will not be a happy camper if they make me pay shipping for a brand new scope that was defective right out of the box.

This is my first ever Leupold scope. Not a good start.

Mushy clicks that don't line up evenly. But I can live with that if it will track.

Then, I get about 2 1/2 turns on the elevation dial then it stops. The indicator "button" on top also doesn't pop up.

It appears that Leupold's customer service department is going to get an opportunity to shine. I will not be a happy camper if they make me pay shipping for a brand new scope that was defective right out of the box.

Not a good start. I hope they make everything good. I almost went with a Mark 5 for my long range rig but I didn't have a warm & fuzzy about it. Ended up going with an Euro brand. I do have two SFP Leupolds that I use for whitetail hunting and they have been spot on.

Sorry to hear that. Hope they take care of you.

How frustrating, especially the mushy clicks, the Mark 5HD I had really shined in the turret department, makes me think QC is not as strong with these, mine exhibited a lack of optical performance at the higher end of the magnification but I know others have shared there's perform very well. Makes me wonder how many issues are related more to QC slip-ups vs. an actual deficiency in the design.

I'm not sure about the mushy clicks- but the lines not matching up is due to where it is set at. Let me explain. you zero the turret by loosening two set screws, and lining up the zero (also the button that you will push) on the witness mark under the turret (it clicks into place). When it is in this little recess, there is some wiggle room. If the turret is not PERFECTLY lined up with the witness mark below the turret the lines will not match up from about 3-7 mils. Also, the little button is not supposed to pop up until the 3rd revolution. it will not just "pop" up, it will walk up as you turn the turret. Remember, you will likely have more adjustment than you think, due the the scope being factory "zeroed" roughly in the middle of it's elevation travel range.

If all of this was done correctly you may have a lemon, I would talk to their customer service, they should be able to walk you through this. Although they were unaware of the turret-lines-arent-lining-up-correctly-because-the-turret-is-not-perfectly-centered issue, and they just sent me a new turret.

I'm not sure about the mushy clicks- but the lines not matching up is due to where it is set at. Let me explain. you zero the turret by loosening two set screws, and lining up the zero (also the button that you will push) on the witness mark under the turret (it clicks into place). When it is in this little recess, there is some wiggle room. If the turret is not PERFECTLY lined up with the witness mark below the turret the lines will not match up from about 3-7 mils. Also, the little button is not supposed to pop up until the 3rd revolution. it will not just "pop" up, it will walk up as you turn the turret. Remember, you will likely have more adjustment than you think, due the the scope being factory "zeroed" roughly in the middle of it's elevation travel range.

If all of this was done correctly you may have a lemon, I would talk to their customer service, they should be able to walk you through this. Although they were unaware of the turret-lines-arent-lining-up-correctly-because-the-turret-is-not-perfectly-centered issue, and they just sent me a new turret.

Thank you for the detailed instruction. I will try to loosen up the set screws and see if I can get them aligned correctly. That may well fix that problem.

However, I am unable to get to the 3d revolution. I hit a stop after the second full revolution (plus another half turn) and the "button" is still completely flush with the turret. I cannot imagine this being normal. But I'll give the Leupold a call and see if it is user error.

Thank you for the detailed instruction. I will try to loosen up the set screws and see if I can get them aligned correctly. That may well fix that problem.

However, I am unable to get to the 3d revolution. I hit a stop after the second full revolution (plus another half turn) and the "button" is still completely flush with the turret. I cannot imagine this being normal. But I'll give the Leupold a call and see if it is user error.

Zero stop maybe?

How frustrating, especially the mushy clicks, the Mark 5HD I had really shined in the turret department, makes me think QC is not as strong with these, mine exhibited a lack of optical performance at the higher end of the magnification but I know others have shared there's perform very well. Makes me wonder how many issues are related more to QC slip-ups vs. an actual deficiency in the design.

Yeah. My old NXS, Vortex AMG and Razor have better clicks. Disappointing.

Have not had the opportunity to compare them optically though. I did quickly scan outside last night after dark. Things looked pretty good on a quick scan around the neighborhood. So, I still have hope.

I really want to like this scope given its physical dimensions/weight and magnification range.....which were the driving factor in the purchase decision.

Whats everyone using for rings/mounts? I had ARC M10’s on my AT. Just got a Cadex CDX-30 with a flat top and wondered if there is another good mount outside of Spuhr.

Using a 3.6-18x44 version

Last edited:

As someone else said above, the scope has likely topped out its elevation adjustment due to being in the center of adjustment from the factory setting.
You need to dial back to the zero stop, loosen the turrets, spin them around a rotation or two and tighten them again. If you have the scope sighted in on a canted rail you'll likely have all the elevation available.

Reactions: RJswitz90
Whats everyone using for rings/mounts? I had ARC M10’s on my AT. Just got a Cadex CDX-30 with a flat top and wondered if there is another good mount outside of Spuhr.

Using a 3.6-18x44 version
Aadmount, GDI prom l, & badger all make really good 35mm but spuhr is my favorite

Reactions: kRcu
Received my Mark 5 two weeks ago and there is no "mush" in the clicks. Solid as can be. Bore sighted it in my kitchen looking out the back window and then set zero by removing the turrets. I am very pleased with it.

Reactions: Jonnyb0381
As someone else said above, the scope has likely topped out its elevation adjustment due to being in the center of adjustment from the factory setting.
You need to dial back to the zero stop, loosen the turrets, spin them around a rotation or two and tighten them again. If you have the scope sighted in on a canted rail you'll likely have all the elevation available.

Spent about 45 mins on the phone with Leupold CS. They acknowledged that there was some weirdness going on with the scope. However, after a bunch of trouble shooting and running BOTH dials to their stops multiple times, it appears we got the full elevation range worked out.

CS was a pleasure to deal with, patient, and even issued a shipping label so I can send it in to get checked. I cannot ask for more than that.

That all being said, I think I'm going to try to zero the scope now that I have full elevation adjustment. If I can, and it tracks, I don't see a reason to send it in.

Last edited:
^^^ That is great to hear about CS! In this day and age we should expect for there to be some units that slip through the cracks, for me it's more important how well you are treated and how quickly issues are resolved. I've only had issues with Vortex and Schmidt and both of them treated me like I was their best customer, sounds like Leupold has made some great headway into their customer service as this was an area that I believe they worked on to get better and it sounds like it has paid off.

Reactions: USMC_JA
^^^ That is great to hear about CS! In this day and age we should expect for there to be some units that slip through the cracks, for me it's more important how well you are treated and how quickly issues are resolved. I've only had issues with Vortex and Schmidt and both of them treated me like I was their best customer, sounds like Leupold has made some great headway into their customer service as this was an area that I believe they worked on to get better and it sounds like it has paid off.

Agreed. I accept that things happen in mass production. How a company responds is what makes me a faithful customer. Leupold has restored my confidence in them.

The CS guy also mentioned that they are simply not getting calls or send backs with the MK5 3.6. It has been a very good performer for them and he was genuinely puzzled with me having problems with mine. But either way, he promised they'd either fix it or replace it and not to worry. I hate to be repetitive, but what more can I reasonably ask for?

Reactions: Glassaholic

If its locked in to zero and not lining up then loosening the set screws and rotating the cap will not help. The zero locks in and is set by the cap, it can't be adjusted. Mine came from Leupold that way. Had to send it in. My clicks were not mushy though. Leopold took good care of me. Had my scope back in less than a week. This is what my turret looked like when locked in to zero before I sent it in.

20190111_095511.jpg

If its locked in to zero and not lining up then loosening the set screws and rotating the cap will not help. The zero locks in and is set by the cap, it can't be adjusted. Mine came from Leupold that way. Had to send it in. My clicks were not mushy though. Leopold took good care of me. Had my scope back in less than a week. This is what my turret looked like when locked in to zero before I sent it in.

View attachment 7020852
Yeah, this sounds like the printing or machining was off for that unit, Sorry to hear that, but good to hear they fixed you up.

Not the issue with mine. But sincerely appreciate you trying to help. I was probably less than clear in my description.

My Leupold Mark 5 HD (5-25) should be here Monday. I went with Vortex Match Set 35mm rings to mount it up. I use a Nightforce 2OMOA base. I’ll let y’all know how it mounts up, but the rings seem to be good quality.

My Leupold Mark 5 HD (5-25) should be here Monday. I went with Vortex Match Set 35mm rings to mount it up. I use a Nightforce 2OMOA base. I’ll let y’all know how it mounts up, but the rings seem to be good quality.
Seekins makes those for vortex. I used them on a pst2 & Nikon fx1000 for my niece & nephew. They are a very good for the money

Got my mark 5 mounted up on my DT today with a 20moa Spuhr mount. The issue I’m having is finding a place for the anti cant bubble. Because of the tube design of the scope, and with the Spuhr, the only place I can mount it is close to the eye piece. This creates two problems, #1 the throw hammer at full power blocks the bubble, and #2 the bubble being that close to me makes it really hard to focus on it with my non-dominant eye when I’m in position. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I was considering a US optics rail mounted bubble.
C75D8653-C273-4B4F-92D5-85D9283522F8.jpeg
FA19962E-5F0F-4A5D-B11E-431770C14FA7.jpeg

Got my mark 5 mounted up on my DT today with a 20moa Spuhr mount. The issue I’m having is finding a place for the anti cant bubble. Because of the tube design of the scope, and with the Spuhr, the only place I can mount it is close to the eye piece. This creates two problems, #1 the throw hammer at full power blocks the bubble, and #2 the bubble being that close to me makes it really hard to focus on it with my non-dominant eye when I’m in position. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I was considering a US optics rail mounted bubble. View attachment 7021599View attachment 7021600
Throw away the Vortex bubble and get this https://mkmachining.com/product/35mm-ultra-low-profile-billet-scope-level/

Got my mark 5 mounted up on my DT today with a 20moa Spuhr mount. The issue I’m having is finding a place for the anti cant bubble. Because of the tube design of the scope, and with the Spuhr, the only place I can mount it is close to the eye piece. This creates two problems, #1 the throw hammer at full power blocks the bubble, and #2 the bubble being that close to me makes it really hard to focus on it with my non-dominant eye when I’m in position. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I was considering a US optics rail mounted bubble. View attachment 7021599View attachment 7021600
Have you tried the opposite side with the vortex? Another way to go is us optics swivel bubble.
1549773210584.jpeg