• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what is the going rate for primers?

Interesting. Well you are right. But I stopped ordering from them years ago. Not only are they overpriced but their shipping is horrible. Lousy packing with no packing materials. God forbid you order bullets. Broken boxes. Bullets everywhere except in the original boxes.
I actually got a couple thousand bullets from them this very week and it was the best shipping/packing I’ve ever gotten. I’ve had lose packs in the past from them but these were in there with not only air fillers but actual solid cut styrofoam to make sure they got to me intact. Well done on that package midway.

Reactions: Steel head
Interesting. Well you are right. But I stopped ordering from them years ago. Not only are they overpriced but their shipping is horrible. Lousy packing with no packing materials. God forbid you order bullets. Broken boxes. Bullets everywhere except in the original boxes.

I have never had an issue with their packaging and have bought many bullets from midway.

MAN! I shoulda put this question in The Bear Pit...................GO Bears ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Raistlin2947
whether one considers it gouging or not seems directly connected to where on the possession spectrum that person is. if you have what you feel is a good supply, chances are you dont feel like it’s gouging. and if you have little to no primers, you think it is.

if someone is willing sell their primers, and another is willing to fork out that cash, it aint my business. if we were talking swarovski binos, people probably wouldnt be bellyaching. saw a guy who bought a pair years ago for 1200ish. and recently sold them for 1800ish. did he gouge?

if you dont like the going rate, dont buy them. it’s that simple. i dont get the ‘crying foul’ crap; other than someone is unhappy they dont have a supply they deem appropriate.

Attachments

• F17C5C93-51D0-4C87-97D9-6B1F7BDB9DA4.jpeg
    F17C5C93-51D0-4C87-97D9-6B1F7BDB9DA4.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 24
Midway has been dropping more primers today. Hope you're watching. I don't have any clue how many are on hand but they are selling out in minutes if not seconds.

Current hazmat charge is $35. Not $12.99. Suspicious at best.
man wtf is wrong with you guys. you really think folks take the time to post their results here and are lying to you about it? how many closets and drawers full of tinfoil do you have? that's great though, you guys either don't buy b/c you for some reason think the hazmat charges are too much at $35, or self-limit yourselves to 1k, either way, more for the rest of us sane people.

Things will slowly return to normal once we all have what we consider to be a comfortable quantity of any given component or ammunition on hand.
Going rate has a lot to do with where you live in the country. Here in Baton Rouge, we only have a few LGS, Academy, Bass Pro and Cabelas to choose from in a 40mile radius. None of these retailers have primers or have any inkling of when they’ll get them. That means we are reduced to buying off gunbroker or classifieds on local shooting forums.
I paid $100/1000 early on on gunbroker and told myself I was going insane. I bought another 2000 this week to fill out my large and small pistol stock at $125/1000 from a guy in a parking lot. And I felt fortunate to pay the price and get them at all this time.
The truth is that if you shoot competition and you need large rifle just to be in the game, then .15cents a round is not bad.
You have a few different mechanisms at work here. The majority of new gun owners will buy a few boxes of ammo and they’re done for awhile. That takes care of that. The guys waiting in line at Academy every day will eventually tire of standing in the parking lot every morning. At this point the regular shoppers will scoop the stuff when available. And only when all of us feel comfortable with the quantity we have on hand will this return to normal. Yes new gun owners account for maybe 1/3 of the Rest is shear panic buying.
I like having a 2-3 year supply of any given ammunition. Or in the case of rifle ammo, the components to make it. I’m stocked up now and don’t need more. I’ve been leaving 9mm and .45 on the shelf for another guy when I see it. As more people reach this equilibrium the tides will turn.

"You keep chump change by not using it overpaying."

You got me there...

Last edited:
Midway has been dropping more primers today. Hope you're watching. I don't have any clue how many are on hand but they are selling out in minutes if not seconds.
Didn't get any notification they got any.

You won't get any. They pretty much stopped sending notifications.

There was a decent drop of small rifle primers.
Another reason to skip dealing with this place. I should have known. Too freekin lazy to let people know.

I felt like this was too high...but a few friends needed them...so I jumped on them when the were announced in the Discord channel.

brownells_primers.jpg

Note: A 'Case' is 5 boxes of 1k...so 5,000 Match Large Rifle Primers.... 210M's. Received them in 5 days.

I tried to get in on that drop as thats what I want and would have happily paid that for match primers but I was too slow and got my order in but canceled less than 20min later.

My guess is the job on the system for vendors like midway runs on an interval and when something comes in stock and sells out before that interval hits again, no notifications go out. I get notifications from midway for things that don't sell out in seconds/minutes. Community notifications like here, discord, reddit, other forums are the way to go right now.

Generally when a drop is announced on Discord, you have about 30 seconds...some times as long as 2 minutes to get in on the free for all. The websites during that time are getting hammered. Slow to respond. Why waste time sending out an email with a notification if it is going to cause more traffic problems....and knowing that there is no hope of anyone receiving the email of ever getting to the site in time to actually purchase something.

I've seen a few moves that I think are good...maybe not for you...but for business atleast.

1. Take off anything not in stock for certain types of products. Powder Valley did this for Primers. Probably need to do it for Powder and bullets as well. It saves on network traffic and the load of their servers. If it isn't in stock....we don't need to read about it if you won't let us back order it. Just hide anything that isn't in stock to save bandwidth.

2. Sell primers in 5k lots. The cases come from the factory in 5k lots....atleast Federal do. But sell in case quantities. This allows the seller to scan the Bill of Lading and have it populate the website and then simply slap on an address sticker and hazmat without wasting time, energy, money on repackaging the primers to go to the individual. You could damn near pull off one truck, sticker, and put on the next truck....almost seamlessly.

3. bundle crap they can't sell with something hot. Now I don't like it....you don't like it...but from a business stand point...instead of putting that Uncle whatever holster on sale for nothing....just make someone buy it to get the 5k SRPers...heh. Keep the prices low and fair...but get rid of inventory you don't want.

4. Direct from manufacture ordering. Maybe larger order quantities...but sell me direct.

I'm sure you guys have some more ideas.

#3 is gross. The uncle mikes holsters with your primers is awful.
#4 I've got so much powder direct from Hodgdon this past year. It's wonderful.

Midway has had a whole bunch over the weekend. Dropping a bunch here and there every day. Just got to keep checking.

I was able to get a case of 5000 CCI 400’s. Tried for some small pistols but that order got canceled. Probably because I got the 400’s.

Could it be that Midway has a way of knowing a customer has used a bot and then doesn't allow further sales?.............................Be curious to know if you fellows using a bot have been able to purchase multiple times on one and only one credit card and address?

I bring this up as it appears that Midsouth has a way of ferreting out bot users.

Could it be that Midway has a way of knowing a customer has used a bot and then doesn't allow further sales?.............................Be curious to know if you fellows using a bot have been able to purchase multiple times on one and only one credit card and address?

I bring this up as it appears that Midsouth has a way of ferreting out bot users.
yes multiple midway purchases using distill (bot). and yes midsouth def checks for bot usage and blocks you from their site, at least temporarily.

I saw yesterday on GB, small pistol and small rifle primers were going for $400/1000!
1 lb cans of Varget were going for $130.:oops:
Plus shipping.
No, I'm not buying at that price. I was just looking, because I heard that's what they were running and wanted to see for myself.

yes multiple midway purchases using distill (bot). and yes midsouth def checks for bot usage and blocks you from their site, at least temporarily.
Thanks davsco.

Someone want to tell me what all this bot crap is about?

Yes...economists would say "place utility".....uh huh
I never bid on auctions...tell me your price.

What I would like to understand is the trade value trend I’ve been seeing... what’s with trading 2x large primers for 1x small ones? Is this a thing or have I just been seeing people testing the market?

Last week I traded 2K Fed 210's for 2 K Fed 205's, head to head two happy shooters. Just balancing my inventory as was the other guy.

I just paid $40 on powder valley for 1000 winchester 209.

The last 1000k I got at a local store I paid $89.

I still have'nt found anyone that wants to trade 500 Fed 210 LRMag for TrailBoss,either TB is extremely valuable or the people that want the match primers don't fire TB calibers.

I saw yesterday on GB, small pistol and small rifle primers were going for $400/1000!
1 lb cans of Varget were going for $130.:oops:
Plus shipping.
No, I'm not buying at that price. I was just looking, because I heard that's what they were running and wanted to see for myself.

I saw 1lb of IMR 4350 on GB today for $145!!

I looked because I felt guilty about wanting $45/lb for some I was considering selling... I still couldn't bring myself to post but I didn't feel bad about what I wanted to get out of it at least now! Funding replacement stuff isn't cheap!

I looked because I felt guilty about wanting $45/lb for some I was considering selling... I still couldn't bring myself to post but I didn't feel bad about what I wanted to get out of it at least now! Funding replacement stuff isn't cheap!
$45 is cheap.
Even Midway USA is in the mid-30s a pound now 🤣

Went to a local shop and found that LRMP's were going for about $10/100, about 2 1/2 times the price I was paying before (2 months ago). Curious as to what others are seeing for prices and I realize this is due to supply and demand. I also see how ridiculous it has gotten on GB. Is this now the going rate at the local retail level when they can be found?
Went to gun show this past weekend they wanted $300 for 1000, I laughed.

That makes me consider selling all 500 pounds of 8208, varget, r16, etc and retiring early LOL.

Reactions: 16 Gauge
Fort worth gun show this last weekend I saw them for 300 a thousand. .I laughed my ass off and kept on walking.

$45 is cheap.
Even Midway USA is in the mid-30s a pound now 🤣
I sold some misc powders that I only had 1-2 lbs or for $40 a few weeks ago and they were gone within a day with another buyer in line. I guess once I add up the fees and shipping and consider places have 2lb limits it’s really not too unfair. Seeing it for $145 had me looking into how to get a hazmat license though at lunchb😂

The reality is as long as we continue to pay those high prices, why would prices ever come down? All of the online suppliers are out of stock but who is to say they are not selling their inventory under a different name on GB ??

The funny part is going to see the hoarders & scalpers that paid more than normal pricing get stuck with them when it all comes back to normal. Primers are almost worthless when they are available. Talking to my sales guy at a large distributor (you'd know it if I told you), they have about 2 years of backorders but fully expect orders to start getting cancelled by the end of the year, and a large quantity to be sitting on the shelves that they can't move sometime in 2022. I checked my last order from them in 2019, and I was getting 5k cases of cci 450's and Rem 7 1/2's for <$150, delivered. Varget was <$180/keg delivered. Yes, it was on sale with a free hazmat promotion, but still. The primers had been there from cancelled backorders from when Hillary had almost won, they were just trying to move it, literally almost giving it away. Happened a couple of times during Obamas tenure as well. Just keep holding on as long as possible, buy only what you absolutely *have* to have, and wait for the sales next year.

I’ve been getting more followers from gun stores that sell bulk ammunition. I have left messages looking for primers and I leave my phone number. Yes! I know what you’re thinking! Yes! But anyway the name looks legitimate and the site does too. When he messaged me to pay on pay pal I started thinking about it, I called the number and a Indian that couldn’t speak English answered the phone! Be careful. Watch out for the scammers! This has happened to me twice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-205236.png
    Screenshot_20210204-205236.png
    472.8 KB · Views: 22
I’ve been getting more followers from gun stores that sell bulk ammunition. I have left messages looking for primers and I leave my phone number. Yes! I know what you’re thinking! Yes! But anyway the name looks legitimate and the site does too. When he messaged me to pay on pay pal I started thinking about it, I called the number and a Indian that couldn’t speak English answered the phone! Be careful. Watch out for the scammers! This has happened to me twice!
Same thing happened to me.
When he agreed to ship and never asked for a hazmat fee I got suspicious.
I asked for a copy of his FFL I never heard from him again 🤣🤣🤣

Is it a real company??
I am not paying that price but says can't ship to NY.
There is no restrictions on shipping primers with the correct hazmat ruins applied.
It's probably a NYC vs NY state issue. Doesn't NYC have a ton of extra gun restrictions? Probably too hard to put everything in their system