• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So whats the characteristics of a ranch gun? like a one "do it all" rifle show pics please

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I mean all I can think that would meet my needs is like a dta srs, since its small, and no matter if I need to kill a coyote, take out a big animal, or even for protection. (I know it may be heavy) I also didn't know what category so please don't hate

Well down here in texas I work on +- a million acres and a ranch gun is mainly just a gun you can throw behind the seat of the truck and not be worried if it got stolen or scatched... usually a cheaper 22 mag or 223 bolt action... could be a old shotgun too...

Mine is a lever in 30-30 or 45-70, open sights, nothing fancy. to me a ranch gun is handy, not worried about getting scratched and dirty daily. my 30-30 rides on my 4 wheeler/seat of the truck all the time. its been dropped in mud and actually ran over on my 4 wheeler and knocked the sights off. put new ones on and it still fires fine. I don't worry about round count/scratches etc. it gets wiped down if it gets wet and that's about it. I baby my scoped guns but my gun that gets used the most gets beat to snot and that's my 30-30. its quick on target and holds plenty of lead. what more is needed. I prefer no scope because most shots are last second as something runs out from a thicket or towards one..need to get on target quickly usually

I mean all I can think that would meet my needs is like a dta srs, since its small, and no matter if I need to kill a coyote, take out a big animal, or even for protection. (I know it may be heavy) I also didn't know what category so please don't hate

My BIL takes his AR most of the time. Kinda funny looking .. a cowboy with H-BAR, LOL.

Have a synthetic collapsible stocked NEF Handi-Rifle in .45-70 govt. with an 18" barrel. Rides behind my seat and has since I got it in 1998. Has a tasco pronghorn fixed 6X scope and has killed more critters than anything else I have. Think I paid less than $200 total for the whole set-up when I got it. Scratched to hell, but shoots true and hits HARD!

I would think the lines Jeff Cooper set for a scout rifle would be pretty much spot on for a good ranch piece.

I have a friend with a Steyr Scout, and while he babies his, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a perfect piece to just throw in a truck and have around at all times.

I think there are several good answers for a "ranch gun". As Wonk stated the Steyr Scout would be nice to have around, I personally would like to have either of the following for a light weight, simple, tough as nails yet very accurate truck,ranch,farm,4-wheeler etc..etc.. gun. Caliber to each his own, but for this application I would go with .308

D&L Sports™ Custom Handy Rifle
or
BlackOps Precision » Archive » RANCH RIFLE

Mine is a NEF Handy Rifle in 22 hornet. It's short so it's easy to keep on the truck.

I was thinking of an ol mod 70 bedded in woodstock with trued action and chamber in 6-284 or 22-250. Something light that can be thrwon around

Mine is a Browning BLR-81. It's a light, short lever action .308. Box fed. Keep an extra magazine handy for hogs when we drive up on em. Can reach out a couple of hundred yards easily and punches through small brush when needed.

L

i think I would have a ranch gun with a suppressor just to have less recoil and if I don't have hearing protection on

I like where your head is at, almost all my shooting is done suppressed now. Texote mentioned a mod 70 which got me to thinking about my 1997ish Win70 7mmRM, maybe next year have D&L or BOP put a new barrel and stock on her. Question will be stick with 7RM or something else?...hmmmmm?

I think an SKS with aperture sights is hard to beat as a truck gun.
Reasonable accuracy, good power, never have to worry about losing the mag.

These sights are the bomb:
SKS Sights

I have also used the williams aperture sight that replaces the rear leaf sight. They are very functional.

Here's a picture of the "do it all" rifle....

Nothing.jpg

Hint: It doesn't exist. Its always a set of tradeoffs.

This build began as a ranch gun concept for my son, but when she was done, she was just too beautiful to throw behind the seat. She is our go-to deer and hog .308, but is babied... 17" barrel so easy to maneuver in and out of deer blind or truck windows on the ranch...
4BE820E6-3205-4D24-BF2A-2B4E86CE03E0-8445-000007214F2322AD_zps3bd3dec6.jpg

Could a guy get away with a 14" 308 with a permanently attached Surefire brake and not be considered an SBR? This would allow you to attach a suppressor in the future if you'd like and the OAL of the rifle would still be relatively short. Then I'd load up some 155gr VLDs as fast as I could get them out of the short barrel...good BC/FPS trade off in my opinion.

This build began as a ranch gun concept for my son, but when she was done, she was just too beautiful to throw behind the seat. She is our go-to deer and hog .308, but is babied... 17" barrel so easy to maneuver in and out of deer blind or truck windows on the ranch...
4BE820E6-3205-4D24-BF2A-2B4E86CE03E0-8445-000007214F2322AD_zps3bd3dec6.jpg
Nice rig. What barrel contour and stock is that?

Heart Barrel....not sure te contour, think it was heavy Palma .... McMillan M40A1 stock... Badger DBM..

Could a guy get away with a 14" 308 with a permanently attached Surefire brake and not be considered an SBR? This would allow you to attach a suppressor in the future if you'd like and the OAL of the rifle would still be relatively short. Then I'd load up some 155gr VLDs as fast as I could get them out of the short barrel...good BC/FPS trade off in my opinion.

Yes. The old AR configuration of an 11.5" bbl with a 5.5" flash hider was Class 1 legal.

Different strokes not just for different folks but different occasions as well. If I'm walking it's a 16" AR, if it's less on my feet 18" FAL. I am in the process of getting a suppressor for those as well as I agree a suppressor is a useful addition where weight is slightly less of a concern. If it's legal where you are I see no reason to not have a semi auto as a ranch gun, just clean it whenever you get more than a little dust on it.

I'm shocked not a single reference to the Ruger Ranch rifle.

I just got here - and yes, the Ruger Scout is a great ranch rifle - I changed mine out a bit. Took off the pic rail, front sight, rear sight, added 4x14 scope, suppressor in place of flash hider.

I keep looking at it, thinking, what caliber should I rebarrel this to? And then I remember, leave it alone, it is what it is for a reason.

MAybe though...... Form 1 a new barrel/integral suppressor, keep it 16" total? Already have an AI Covert, but this is much lighter, easier to have at hand all day. After all, that is the primary purpose of the ranch rifle, be available all day long, be rugged and versatile.