• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s So which emergency radio is the one to get? Prepper question???

It's a large chunk of pork meat usually consumed around the holidays. Or somebody that has a forty foot tower with a bunch of crap and wires hanging off it in the back yard.
Also, someone whom goes to extraordinary lengths for attention...

Ham_the_chimp_%28cropped%29.jpg

And here I thought Ham was a chimp who went into space to turn off the satellites as the space shuttle door gunner?

Sirhr

You can learn aerobatic maneuvers by becoming your own test pilot or you can get a student's license and have someone teach you how not to kill yourself in the process.

You can carry 'constitutionally' and figure out how not to print like a Xerox with the added thrill of appearing before a judge if you fail. Or you can get a CCW and become proficient without that extra thrill.

You can buy a ham radio and hope that the required knowledge necessary to effectively communicate will magically appear when nobody cares about a license anymore. Or you can get a licenses and practice with the help of other licensees until you can do this in your sleep.

The choice is yours as we still live in a (somewhat) free country. Just remember that Physics can be a cruel mistress if neglected.
Baofeng. PTT.

Could you sync the next satellites orbit with Fort Worth and set a uhf repeater for me, say 440 pl 110.9.

I'll send up a bottle of bourbon.

Thanks in advance.
@NoDopes

Pretty much. I was just looking for opinions and brands to look at. Not sure if there are that many different brands to begin with. Then, where are they made, customer reviews, actual reviews etc... They HAM idea is great and to be honest i had no Idea it was that involved. I still may do something as my house has a huge antennae tower coming up from the ground going up above the trees, It has the old TV antennae on the top and the tower itself is supported with tension wires (3) that are footed to the ground. I am thinking its a shame to have a nice tower and not use it.
Well you got plenty of opinions.
And got a few brands.
I don’t know of many of the top of my head that are made in the US of A.
Baofeng are made in China and are Cheap and they are cheap. Antennas break off, the squelch is lousy, but I got quite a few kicking around, because they are quite versatile and use very little power.
I use older yaesu mobile units that were made in Japan. Durable and perform excellent.
Kenwood mobile radios, made in China. Perform the same as yaesu.

Cobra or Uniden both make good CB radios in China. ssb can hear long ways on a good night.

I don’t know much about am/fm radios.

I have been an Amateur Extra for ~9 years.

Still don't know what a "HAM" is though.
Roughly 100 +- years ago , A nickname given to the radio operators, because they like to get on the radio and HAM it up, and it stuck.

Roughly 100 +- years ago , A nickname given to the radio operators, because they like to get on the radio and HAM it up, and it stuck.
No, that is a "ham radio operator." I still don't know what a "HAM" is or why everyone is yelling.

No, that is a "ham radio operator." I still don't know what a "HAM" is or why everyone is yelling.
Isn’t ham radio the particular radio that is being operated by the “ham radio operator”? And they aren’t yelling, they are trying to get their transmission across. Copy?

Isn’t ham radio the particular radio that is being operated by the “ham radio operator”? And they aren’t yelling, they are trying to get their transmission across. Copy?
"HAM" is not a thing. These people just don't know what they're talking about

Pejorative for a "ham fisted" telegraph operator, i.e. amateur. Several references in this book from 1899.

Telegraph is not Ham radio, however I would imagine a lot of telegraph operators were Hams and I'm sure some might be considered hamfisted then and now? Given that Morse has code was a big portion of the radio world.

I think this thread is doing a disservice to the O.P.
He asked a legitimate question.
There's been a mix of good information and bullshit.
We have a diverse group with varying levels of experience and so many different types of equipment and modes of operation.

Missed opportunity to actually be helpful or learn something?

Not starting a pissing match....
Satellites will be the fisrt things to go if SHTF.
Best have a "Plan B"..........

WASHINGTON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Monday that it was aware of a "debris-generating" event in outer space and one official said it appeared that Russia had carried out an anti-satellite (ASAT) weapons test

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
Communicate over HF in an emergency? Look up Winlink and get back to us.

Realistically, the only reason licenses are even still required is because the Boomers who have their ticket like to think of themselves as Ersatz FCC deputies.....and will track you down and turn you into the FCC if they think you are operating without a license, whether you are doing anything inappropriate or not.....

fuck, go onto a HAM forum, and ask about using a baofeng on FRS/GMRS channels.....they will be frothing at the mouth quoting FCC guidelines, and threaten you with fines and jail time for doing so....as if it were their fucking job.
This ☝☝☝☝☝☝
No faster way to trigger a boomer than tell them you don't have a license!

Boomer - Hey , you got a license for that thing ?
Me - No !
Boomer...............
images (31).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
There are plenty of illegal frequencies you can use that the boomers won't be on, use those.

You can study up on that, oh wait by the time you figure those out you could have spent 14$ and took the test. Duh

i understand that people might be jealous of the boomers. we got to go wherever we wanted and didn't have to wait for mommy to take us.

I could care less who talks illegally on a radio till they get in my way.

You can remove some resistors that constrict transmit frequencies from your radio and talk all over for all I care.

I love threads like these where a simple question with a simple answer turns into who has the biggest Dick. No one gives a shit about your $20000 ham set up hes asking for a simple radio option