• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So Which Is It? Amps Or Volts?

Einstein… Insanity…. Same thing over and over…. Something, something…

What a fucking idiot.

Maybe reducing current with reducing resistance is what those who read current in parallel discover?

Reactions: jr81452
Are you for real ?
Are you trying to measure amperage AFTER whatever device is on the line ?
That doesn't work.
Do you understand the word LOAD ?
Have you ever seen a DVOM (and do you need that explained, slowly) ?

Screw your simple minded wanna-be math.
Go find a wall socket, if you have one that isn't burned up.
Go find a volt meter.
Go test YOURSELF.
I have thousands of resistors of just about every type conceivable.
PM me an addy and I will send (no charge) a wide selection to you.

money-mouth-location

Higher load = higher amperage PER-E-FUCKING-ID
I don't care if you're in Zimbabwe or Mars, it's the same everywhere.

if he doesn’t pass the blunt on to someone else before he tries your resistors in a power socket, he gonna end up dead.

he’s either a huge troll, high, or the dumbest douche ever. Multiple people smarter than him telling him how it is, offering proof even and he still denies…. You could lead a horse to water, but its dead and he’s still flogging it

View attachment 8074230

If Vb is 10V and X is 4 ohms, how many Amps are flowing through the circuit?

If Vb is still 10V and X is changed to 8 ohms, how many Amps are flowing through the circuit?
You have the (circuit element X) resistor on the wrong side of the ammeter...we have no clue as to how many amps the circuit is....and it shows as a DC circuit. A series of AAA batteries....or a bank of 64 group 27 batteries comprise your "VB" ?
The whole thing is to measure the amperage change the resistor inflicts on the system.
You do know DC ammeters are polarity sensitive, right ? No polarity shown, the reading will be different with incorrect polarity.

Fail ?

At least give a wire gauge size.
Radically different if it's 28awg vs ACS500 wire, innit ?

BTW, the last time I dun try'd ta spel FEET, I didn't spelt it FEAT.
Srsly ?

You have the (circuit element X) resistor on the wrong side of the ammeter...

You know how Leonardo Da Vinci painted The Last Supper and it was amazing and then he's all like "no wait I got something more" and busts out the Mona Lisa? Your posts in this thread are like that, too, but instead of beautiful they're just soul-crushingly wrong. (Unless this is a troll, in which case it's some of the best I've ever seen.)

You know how Leonardo Da Vinci painted The Last Supper and it was amazing and then he's all like "no wait I got something more" and busts out the Mona Lisa? Your posts in this thread are like that, too, but instead of beautiful they're just soul-crushingly wrong. (Unless this is a troll, in which case it's some of the best I've ever seen.)
Fucking brutal, I love it…

Reactions: mtrmn
You have the (circuit element X) resistor on the wrong side of the ammeter...we have no clue as to how many amps the circuit is....and it shows as a DC circuit. A series of AAA batteries....or a bank of 64 group 27 batteries comprise your "VB" ?
The whole thing is to measure the amperage change the resistor inflicts on the system.
You do know DC ammeters are polarity sensitive, right ? No polarity shown, the reading will be different with incorrect polarity.

Fail ?

At least give a wire gauge size.
Radically different if it's 28awg vs ACS500 wire, innit ?

BTW, the last time I dun try'd ta spel FEET, I didn't spelt it FEAT.
Srsly ?

@n2ishun everybody in this thread is right, except you. I’m an electrical engineer, at least that what my diploma says, and Ohm’s Law is the easiest, most basic, equation we have to work with.
V=IR.
Plug some numbers in it. Don’t forget about the equal sign, it’s not there as a decoration.

And it doesn’t matter where the amp meter is located in the circuit, the current will be the same all the way through the circuit, from the positive post to the negative post.

“The whole thing is to measure the amperage change the resistor inflicts on the system.”

Wrong! What your talking about is the voltage. The voltage will change throughout the system. It’s called voltage drop. The voltage on the top of the resistor is going to be higher than the voltage on the bottom of the resistor. But, the current will remain the same all the way through the circuit.

I would explain more, but I have to get up and go to work, where they pay me to use Ohm’s law every day.

@n2ishun everybody in this thread is right, except you. I’m an electrical engineer, at least that what my diploma says, and Ohm’s Law is the easiest, most basic, equation we have to work with.
V=IR.
Plug some numbers in it. Don’t forget about the equal sign, it’s not there as a decoration.

And it doesn’t matter where the amp meter is located in the circuit, the current will be the same all the way through the circuit, from the positive post to the negative post.

“The whole thing is to measure the amperage change the resistor inflicts on the system.”

Wrong! What your talking about is the voltage. The voltage will change throughout the system. It’s called voltage drop. The voltage on the top of the resistor is going to be higher than the voltage on the bottom of the resistor. But, the current will remain the same all the way through the circuit.

I would explain more, but I have to get up and go to work, where they pay me to use Ohm’s law every day.
Bingo, it's actually very simple. Where a lot of people in my field troubleshoot by measuring resistance in a component or worse circuit I have always used voltage drop both with the load in the circuit (both the load that is designed into and supposed to be in the circuit and the loads that are not supposed to be in there) and with my own known load that I apply. Voltage drop is a much better way for me to find out if a circuit or component is good or not.

Reactions: jr81452 and mtrmn
It kind of matters where the amp meter is. It has to be in series in the circuit to measure amps.

I have been to a lot shops where guys don't know how to measure voltage drops, or resistance. Most of them didn't understand continuity either though. Any electrical problem was, "must be short somewhere."

I remember one day everyone was working on some trailer lights all day, except me, and my dad was gone or they would have come over and asked him for help. They were getting ready to start pulling the wires our of the entire livestock trailer. And send the guy off with another trailer. Which also wouldn't have worked.

1676293155387.png

They had diagnosed it as trailer problem by hooking their test light to the frame and checking the plug on the truck. We have everything at the plug and nothing in the trailer when we plug it in. The wires must be cut. I said let me look real quick. Their heads cocked to the side like puppies hearing their first squeaker. Moved the ground to the grounding post on the trucks plug, and nothing. Try to explain to glazed looks like I was talking Swahili witch doctor, while I fixed the plug in less time than to would have taken to dolly off the trailer.

Most people don't know dick about electric.

I think maybe he is confusing resistance with a load. For example if you double your voltage it will cut the amperage the load pulls in half correct? That had me thinking he was right. Then I had to go to online calculator when my ohms law math kept saying it was opposite. Am I at least half confused as well?

If the load remains the same, say 100 ohms, and you double the voltage, then the current will double.

Maybe what is creating confusion are things like a motor circuit. For example, take a 1/2HP 115/230VAC motor and look at the nameplate. It will show something like 10A @115V and 5A @ 230VAC. It uses half the current at 230V, correct?

It does, but the windings are not in the same configuration and therefore the load is not the same. The electrician changes the motor windings to be in parallel for 115V and places them in series for 230V. When the winding are places in series, it doubles the resistance of the load. Current is halved, smaller wire can be used, but the watts remain almost identical at either voltage.

how is this still a debate

there are millions of search results on the web and youtube

why would the OP ask a firearm's site that cant even agree how to use a kestrel lol

Reactions: Pbgt
how is this still a debate

there are millions of search results on the web and youtube

why would the OP ask a firearm's site that cant even agree how to use a kestrel lol
He was inspiring conversation....

I believe that the misunderstanding is exactly what is posted here ^^^^^^.
Series and parallel circuits. If you add more resistance in series the current is going to drop. If you add resistance in parallel the current will increase in the main. In parallel the current is the sum of each parallel circuit.
So, reading amperage on the main supply will increase by adding resistance if it's a parallel circuit. So if you don't realize that the circuit is parallel you would believe that by adding another resistor is increasing the amperage.
Your home wiring is all parallel circuits. You put an amp meter on the main and turn breaker number one on and read 5 amps. Turn breaker number two on and read 10 amps. It'll make you think that adding more resistance is increasing current. But you are not adding it in series. It's parallel.

Then, hook it all up to a finite source of power like a small generator - and watch the Hz and Volts drop as you add too many amps of load.... (just to muddy the water for some) lol

Then, hook it all up to a finite source of power like a small generator - and watch the Hz and Volts drop as you add too many amps of load.... (just to muddy the water for some) lol
Can you explain why the voltage drops when the RPM drops?

Sorry, you must be mistaking volts/amps/watts for something else.
If you have a fixed voltage and you lessen resistance, amperage drops.
Please tell me why you think amperage would go up ?

Don't give me someone else's formulae, give me a concrete reason in your own words.
If you can't do that....then...
Tell us why if you decrease the resistance of a speaker (say from 8 ohms to 4 ohms) why is the amplifier able to drive it at nearly double the wattage ?
Yea, I know, confusing, right ?

He gave you reality's formula. It's not someone else's, it's literally everyone's. You are mistaking impedance for resistance in those speakers.

Here is my prediction. Tomorrow, someone could start a thread stating that the sun is yellow. And others would come along to not only argue against that statement but introduce statements designed to belittle others.

I am sorry for you being an electrician. Living in a world where everyone thinks they know as much as you do. Sucks ass and not in a good way.:(
Agreed. I couldn’t decide whether to laugh, cry, or electrocute myself. But in the end I was too confused where to connect myself in the circuit to get the job done…

Reactions: Ronws
Here is my prediction. Tomorrow, someone could start a thread stating that the sun is yellow. And others would come along to not only argue against that statement but introduce statements designed to belittle others.
Did you know that you are only seeing the color that is reflected off an object and that the true colors are the opposite of what you are seeing?

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Islander
86B9D81B-39BA-4AA0-A2FB-C734AECDE260.jpeg
AF3590F9-EBCA-4432-A41B-CB95044381B4.jpeg

High amp stuff scares me. Both of these setups were in the +200A range, lower unit is sketchy chinese shit. Think the top was 575V, lower 460V. eta: lower was 480v service stepped down to 220 now that I think about it. Enclosure just had a magnetic panel for a cover.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
You moron its Blue Green!

I am sorry for you being an electrician. Living in a world where everyone thinks they know as much as you do. Sucks ass and not in a good way.:(
All this talk of electricity got me to remembering these lyrics.

"I got chills, their multiplying. And I'm losing control from the power that your supplying. It's electrifying!"

View attachment 8074928View attachment 8074919

High amp stuff scares me. Both of these setups were in the +200A range, lower unit is sketchy chinese shit. Think the top was 575V, lower 460V. eta: lower was 480v service stepped down to 220 now that I think about it. Enclosure just had a magnetic panel for a cover.
I'm digging that green heat shrink to identify B phase. I guess in Wuhan they just use whatever they have on hand.

Mike

BTW, the back story was that this elephant was on Coney Island in the early 1900's but was ill-tempered. It killed at least three visitors and injured lots more. Thomas Edison (promotor of DC power for the growing national grid) used Westinghouse's AC power to electrocute the elephant in a public attempt to make Westinghouse power look dangerous.

Backfired... everyone turned on Edison for frying the poor elephant... And turned out this performance also indirectly invented the electric chair at the same time, because people thought electricity was more humane than hanging.

The short version is that the elephant had it coming.

Sirhr

• Love
Reactions: Ronws

Worked 40 + years as an industrial/commercial electrician, all boils down to how and when you want to die.
Yep. A lot of people tend to think of shock/electrocution when the topic of electricity is discussed. Shock is a concern... but arc flash/blast scares me a whole lot more... That shit will kill you from a distance without ever having touched anything.

One "old guy" I worked with as an apprentice rolled up his sleeves and showed me the scars and told me about his time in the burn unit.

Mike

Reactions: memilanuk
although I would probably swap the amp and Volts. amps is like the pressure. if the resistance changes so does the pressure needed to push the volts.

3daae161ac0140bf0723b6e494b21cf6.jpg

Last edited:

Worked 40 + years as an industrial/commercial electrician, all boils down to how and when you want to die.

Yup. It's been interesting watching the industry change from the mid 90s when I got out of the Navy and into civilian work. I left the electrician work behind a while back, been doing the power plant operation gig for a couple decades now. Still do low and high voltage switching... never had a close call, and honestly kind of miss the thrill of the crackle-snap of opening a high voltage switch... but the part of me that wants to make it to retirement appreciates the MODs and breaker robots on the job today.

although I would probably swap the amp and Volts. amps is like the pressure. if the resistance changes so does the pressure needed to push the volts.

View attachment 8075308
Volts is the pressure. Amps is the flow rate or gallons per minute. Ohms is the weight of the load you're trying to move combined with line/orifice size

Volts is the pressure. Amps is the flow rate or gallons per minute. Ohms is the weight of the load you're trying to move combined with line/orifice size
Hee hee, hee, hee, you said orifice.

Reactions: mtrmn