• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So who doesn't own an AR?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I really enjoy this site, and I've learned a great deal. My first impression was that most folks shooting precision rifles would be/are shooting bolt action rifles.

So, I'm just curious how many of you guys/gals that are into long range precision extreme accuracy don't own an AR?

How many of you are dedicated to the bolt gun? I know that AR's can be very accurate.

And if you don't own or want an AR what type of long gun do you have in your arsenal for the unexpected "bump in the night"?

Thanks for your input.

Re: So who doesn't own an AR?

bolt for that 500+ yard shot
ar gets you in and out (rapid fire)on multiple targets
bump in the night should be reserved for pistol or short shotgun as it makes clearing the house easier and quicker to nuetralize the threat.

I owned an AR and built a true M4... ended up parting it out and sold it. Have no desire for another. The only similar thing I want and want badd is a Knights SR-25.
My Sig 229 .40cal assisted with a 700 lumen LED light or my Mossberg 590 take care of any nighttime issues.

Watched a guy from my RO PR 1&2 class outshoot the whole class with a Noveske AR10. This was out to 1K.

Lesson learned was that, if you drive it right, the gas gun is just as accurate.

I owned on for a little while because I was missing my Marine Corps days but I got a short barreled version. Just wasn't the same as the old iron sights A2 at the 500 yard line so I sold it hahaha.

When I get the urge to buy another fairly expensive rifle it will be a DPMS in .308 but right now I'm concentrating my energy/money on a .308 bolt gun.

Used to have all manner of 'black rifles', including AR's. Sold them, don't miss them. The bolt guns are where the fun is for me now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to have all manner of 'black rifles', including AR's. Sold them, don't miss them. The bolt guns are where the fun is for me now. </div></div>

Hatidua,

You made a very good point with "the bolt guns are where the fun is...".

If a person doesn't own an AR - which are fun to shoot (subjective) - what does a person take out to the "range" or woods to shoot then?

I had one - sold it. Had seller's remorse. I now have a SPR barrel, but question myself - do I really want to build another one?

Wouldn't a GSG5 be just as much fun at the range for alot less money? Unfortunately for me I live in suburbia. I have 3 small children. I'm now leaning towards a Remington 870 in .20 gauge for a truck gun and general home defense weapon. I seriously doubt anyone can walk away from 20 gauge buckshot to the chest.

So if one doesn't own an AR - what are they shooting for fun as far as long guns?

GAP 308 and 260 for the long stuff
Had a few ARs
Keep an AK for the zombies
12ga for the uninvited guests

GAP .308 for the long range.

AR with 20 inch upper for med range.

10.5 upper for the close stuff.

Benneli M4 because you have to have a shotgun.

G23 CCW Just to get to the AR or M4.

I have no need for anything else.

Although I have combat shotguns, I just can't think of an instance where I would reach for one instead of an AR15. But I guess that is personal preference.

I guess you could say I'm an AR type of a guy.

For the rest of the year, I'll be shooting long range precision matches with an AR.

I have a custom made POF 260. I put a Kreiger barrel on it and it shoots sweet, also building a few other wildcat type calibers this year.

Here in phoenix, we will be doing a SPR match monthly too. We call it that, but its more of a mid-range precision match.

Right tool for the right job. I dont own A ar type rifle, I own several. Each with its role. The only roles my tool box does not currently contain is Anti Material, SBR and ELR. If you view your shooting habits as purely sport, I can thouroughly see only having what you need for your particuler discipline. For me they are for sport AND an insurance policy for whatever this world may bring. As such I want as many tools in the box as I can afford. Many serve the purpose very well as super fun with a practical purpose as well. Another factor is ME. I have a tendancy to super focus on a particuler discipline. Then I will get a little bored. With having several disciplines in the safe, I can change up for a while. So I never loose interest in the shooting sports by rolling through several disciplines.

Scott, I have joined the 260 crowd myself recently with a GAP upper on a Noveske Lower. Havent shot it yet though, need more glass!!!
Shane

I had 2 but they sank in a horrible accident. We were fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and the boat sank. Those gulf groupers are a beast when you get them in the boat. You have to shoot them to kill them and the captain missed, put a hole in the boat and all our guns went down with the boat.

Let's see...good for varmints, predators, pest control, small game, deer, structured and non-structured competitions, defense, security, and marksmanship development. No wonder it's been called America's Rifle.

Mine's a match conditioned A2 which I use for CMP/NRA HP, as well as NRA LR. With most of my loads, I can get about 3/4 minute groups at 100 yards with irons and sling from prone when the light is good using an .042 aperature.

My experience with the concept suggests, when match conditioned, there's not a better HP rifle out there for marksmanship development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right tool for the right job. I dont own A ar type rifle, I own several. Each with its role. The only roles my tool box does not currently contain is Anti Material, SBR and ELR. If you view your shooting habits as purely sport, I can thouroughly see only having what you need for your particuler discipline. For me they are for sport AND an insurance policy for whatever this world may bring. As such I want as many tools in the box as I can afford. Many serve the purpose very well as super fun with a practical purpose as well. Another factor is ME. I have a tendancy to super focus on a particuler discipline. Then I will get a little bored. With having several disciplines in the safe, I can change up for a while. So I never loose interest in the shooting sports by rolling through several disciplines.

Scott, I have joined the 260 crowd myself recently with a GAP upper on a Noveske Lower. Havent shot it yet though, need more glass!!!
Shane </div></div>

definitely agree with this...i had three all dedicated to their own role. But as far as the "bump in the night" going to have to use the pistol to get to the Benelli M1014

Armalite lower frankengun: it has Daniel defence 9in freefloat rail, all MagPul furniture, front and rear flip ups, an old Eotech and the mandatory surefire. The barrel is a colt 14.5 1 in 7 w/ pinned vortex. oh and I did it all myself that's what makes it really cool. It compliments the 1911 I built for myself. The 308 bolt gun is finished for the time being. So I guess all I need now is a shotgun

For me a bolt gun is where it's at for long range precision work. I do own an AR. It's a RRA 10.5" SBR. I carry it as a patrol rifle. It definately serves it's purpose and it's proven itself very accurate out to 250 yards which is as far as I've shot it. However, I don't enjoy shooting it all that much. I HATE cleaning it and I just don't enjoy it as much as my bolt gun. The only reason I have it is because I definately have a need for it on duty.

I'm the same way, I use an AR for a Patrol Rifle but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies like a good bolt gun. But then again, I still like revolvers too. Maybe my wife is right I am a dinosaur.....

I currently own pieces of one, and waiting for other pieces so it can be put together. It'll be a varmint style rig with a Krieger barrel. Since getting the build started on my .308 I have just about decided to assemble the AR and sell it. They're fun to play with, but I just like a bolt gun better. I decided to build this on an impulse, and I should have thought it through a little more before I started. That's just my .02 though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had 2 but they sank in a horrible accident. We were fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and the boat sank. Those gulf groupers are a beast when you get them in the boat. You have to shoot them to kill them and the captain missed, put a hole in the boat and all our guns went down with the boat. </div></div>

Are you serious!!! All I hear is Bill Engvall saying, "Here's your sign!"

I got my first AR last year in the Tactics Snipershide group buy. They are an awesome gun to have and shoot. I like mine a lot, and wish I would have gotten one sooner. I think everyone should have a 223 AR.

Wow Shane I could not have put it better myself.
A few years back I was stationed at the Naval academy. When I checked into base housing the XO had a cow at the number of weapons I restered with the base. Lucky for me the guy that ran the armory knew me and explained it to the xo like this.
"XO are you a golfer? do you have a bag of clubs? Well yes she said each one is for a specific purpose, well said bill this guy is a competitive shooter and each one of those guns has a specific purpose" aftr a little more crowing she evidently shut her piehole and succumbed to logic

I went , SKS - AK - FNFAL 308 - DPMS 308 - DPMS 260
( just skipped the AR 223 stuff altogether + don't have to reload it )

Bolt 308, 300WM + 22lr's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me a bolt gun is where it's at for long range precision work. I do own an AR. It's a RRA 10.5" SBR. I carry it as a patrol rifle. It definately serves it's purpose and it's proven itself very accurate out to 250 yards which is as far as I've shot it. However, I don't enjoy shooting it all that much. I HATE cleaning it and I just don't enjoy it as much as my bolt gun. The only reason I have it is because I definately have a need for it on duty. </div></div>

Check out a Piston AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me a bolt gun is where it's at for long range precision work. I do own an AR. It's a RRA 10.5" SBR. I carry it as a patrol rifle. It definately serves it's purpose and it's proven itself very accurate out to 250 yards which is as far as I've shot it. However, I don't enjoy shooting it all that much. I HATE cleaning it and I just don't enjoy it as much as my bolt gun. The only reason I have it is because I definately have a need for it on duty. </div></div>

Check out a Piston AR.</div></div>

Can you explain, piston AR for what, LR?

I have owned several ARs in different configurations(collapsible stock, fixed, short, long, etc.), but am currently without one. I cannot say I miss owning one, but might get one in future.

Like a former poster said, I like revolvers, too. I guess I am also a middle-aged dinosaur.

What really makes an ar fun is a spikes tactical 22lr upper. When camping over the weekend I will shoot over 1000 22lr and it will only cost me 30 dollars instead of the 3 to 4 hundred dollars when shooting 5.56 for the same amount. I live in a very dense population area and the only ranges around are indoor. The looks from people at the 25 yard indoor pistol range when you quick fire a couple of magazines is priceless.

Sterling, I believe Mr. Santos was referring to the fact that the other guy didn't like cleaning his AR, so he suggested a Piston driven version.

I like bolt action .223's more than the AR15's but i have several of both. If you were to show up at the Zombie shoot with a bolt gun it would take a while to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow Shane I could not have put it better myself.
A few years back I was stationed at the Naval academy. When I checked into base housing the XO had a cow at the number of weapons I restered with the base. Lucky for me the guy that ran the armory knew me and explained it to the xo like this.
"XO are you a golfer? do you have a bag of clubs? Well yes she said each one is for a specific purpose, well said bill this guy is a competitive shooter and each one of those guns has a specific purpose" aftr a little more crowing she evidently shut her piehole and succumbed to logic </div></div>

DAFAR,
Sounds like you and I were there at the same time, different circumstances. My housing was unfortunately on the other side of the river. Did they let you keep the guns at home or did you have to stash them there? I do remember seeing quite a few good looking sticks in the lockers whenever we checked out our rifles for practice.
I've considered trying to get a billet back there sometime as an instructor, and would prefer to live in housing, but if they're going to pitch a fit about weapons then I'll be seeking other employment.

AR's,15 and 10 are just too fun a gun not to own.You gotta have one for close and far.Annnnnnnnd a bunch of bolt guns too.

Steve

A lot of "joes" suggest, imply, and recommend that one use an AR for home defense to protect one's life and their family.

I bet most of us live in suburbia. I would think a 20 gauge pump shotgun would be a better alternative for defense at the homestead.

I grew up on a 200 acre cattle farm. When the cows went crazy at night, or the dogs went wild my dad and I always grabbed the lever 30/30. It's hard to beat a good winchester 94 or marlin 336.

I know this is off topic, but I saw my dad nail a huge dog running once in the pasture at about 75 yards with an opened sighted winchester 94. The dog had been part of a pack that had killed a calf. The 150 grain silvertip laid him to rest immediately.

Sorry off topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me a bolt gun is where it's at for long range precision work. I do own an AR. It's a RRA 10.5" SBR. I carry it as a patrol rifle. It definately serves it's purpose and it's proven itself very accurate out to 250 yards which is as far as I've shot it. However, I don't enjoy shooting it all that much. I HATE cleaning it and I just don't enjoy it as much as my bolt gun. The only reason I have it is because I definately have a need for it on duty. </div></div>

Check out a Piston AR.</div></div>

Can you explain, piston AR for what, LR? </div></div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. I was referring to the 10.5" AR that he uses for work. Since he hates cleaning it, the Piston AR is much cleaner.

I do have the LMT Piston upper and it is actually surprisingly accurate. I would love to see what an SS Barrel would do. Here are some 10 round shot groups at 100 yards with some Hornady 55 GR FMJ Bullets:

100_5198.jpg

100_5199.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think a 20 gauge pump shotgun would be a better alternative for defense at the homestead.</div></div>

Tests show that 55 grain .223 ball ammo penetrates less in sheetrock than 00 buck and considerably less than many pistol cartridges. Given the additional ammo capacity of a 30-round magazine, many people think an AR is the best weapon for home defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet most of us live in suburbia. I would think a 20 gauge pump shotgun would be a better alternative for defense at the homestead.</div></div>

If you did think that, you would be wrong.

I have several AR's and partial AR's. My work gun is a suppressed M4. I have a frankengun HBAR for plinking/precision work and a SBR work gun in progress.

I have shot a lot of critters with the M4 and my patrol shotgun. I am much more comfortable with controlling ONE projectile in the confines of the city than I am with multiple round balls that have a tendancy to change trajectory severely when they hit hard things. I have hit a running vicious dog with my rifle and not had the round overpenetrate.

I enjoy my bolt guns much more than the AR's. I like the finality of the bolt action. Smoothly working the bolt is a meditation type thing. I am building an AR10 for work, but I don't know if it will replace the bolt gun. I know I won't enjoy it more than the bolt action.

While I prefer bolt actions, when I have to go through a door after someone who doesn't want to go quietly I am happy to have my M4.

Lindy - I didn't know that about the 55 gr fmj compared to 00 buck. Thanks for letting me know. I was suggesting a 20 ga over a 12 b/c I would think it would penetrate less.

LoneWolfUSMC,

I guess shotgun = home defense is just basic mentality for us southern boys. If research shows that an ar with 30 rd mag would be a better and safer alternative I'd rather have that. Right now I am ar-less, but do intend to own another down the road.

I have a friend that was a usmc sniper in vietnam that I respect greatly. He prefers the 12 gauge for hd, but he lives in rural southern Georgia.

I have one good "Precision Rifle" as we are calling them these days. It is a 24" heavy barreled 308 built by Nor-Cal Precision and is amazingly accurate with a U.S.Optics scope on it.

I have a bunh of AR15's all have their use but don't overlap the 308 bolt gun at all (of course). I even bought a Rem 700 CDL in 223, but the bolt-action rifles are just a different animal than an AR15.

223 dumps its energy very fast....a slice of sheetrock or two and its done. My go to home defense is a 556 carbine (no time?-1911).

That said, I started playing our local matches (which only run 700 yds and in) with my SPR as its cheaper to feed. I give up nothing really significant vs my 308 boltgun.

Actually we are going to be having matches geared towards SPRish rifles soon.

Victory,

I didn't mean that in a derogatory way to those who serve or have served our country. I'm actually seeking the education here, not giving it.

By "joes" I mean an untrained-barely-legal-to-own-a-firearm person who scrapes up enough money to buy an AR and reads one issue of Soldier of Fortune. They then think they're Rambo.

I welcome the education of trained professionals. I have no formal combat training outside of the kickboxing I did in college.

I'm just a "married man, married man, driving around in a mini-van" (funny song), but... I can be a mean motor scooter if I have to be.

Sorry if my comment was offensive.

Got a Bushie, but like my R1A1(FAL) better. Keep a Benelli by the bed because I HATE being woke up at 0dark30 by uninvited guests, and have a pair of sweet shooting Remy 70's, one I built with Kelly McMillan's, JW3 and a bunch of other's help, and one GAP built

I've owned several over the years (even an M-16 for awhile). Plenty accurate and perfect for what they were designed, but I just can't stand the way they feel when firing them. So I've always sold them after awhile and am not interested in another.

I'll stick to a couple of bolt actions and a Garand all in .308.

Regards,
Sherlok

I have 3 ready to rock in small, medium, and large right now.

Small - 10.25" barrel suppressed
Medium - M4gery with spendy parts that is a safe queen
Large - 20" heavy barrel suppressed for varmints

I have another complete lower that I haven't decided what I want to do with yet, a cavarms one piece lower, and a small stack of stripped lowers to build on.

I had a DSA AR15 but decided to sell it I wish I didnt. I didnt get anywhere near what I paid for it. So I bought an AK. Not that that was a decent replacement but im still just as happy. Its a little heavy, but I can take it.

I don't have an AR, take that for what it worth.......... My preference is an M1A, ammo commonality for spotter and shooter, better terminal performance , ect. I Like the SOCOM 16 with it's short barrel and a reflex sight is the cat meow IMO. But hey opinons are like assholes, everyone has one.

Mike

I don't own a AR but I trained and used a m4 along with plenty of other weapons... What I have at home is totally different I own quite a few guns but I feel if it really came down to it If it gets in to closer quarters I prefer my m1 carbine or garand easy to use and reliable I wouldn't mind owning a ar15 but I live in california and to me it's more of a pain than anything...

rookie7, no offense taken. I actually laughed when I read it.

The demeanor of what we write on here comes off wrong all of the time. I wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess I should have put one of those sweet emoticons on it.
grin.gif

I am glad your here brother. This is the place to learn.

Cheers

Have owned well over a dozen AR's of various configurations. Got hooked on the sig556' when they showed up and haven't looked back since....sold or traded off the AR's.

Yeah but I figure if tis a situation where I need to use the garand the neighbors will all be at my house wanting protection anyways!!!