• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soda Can At 250 Yards

Re: Soda Can At 250 Yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiteknuckle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe,
Could you supply the file you made for your target?
Jeremiah </div></div>

Actually Jeremiah I just made this target with a compass and rule, along with pencil, pen, and an orange marker. I then copied it on my copy machine.

If someone would care to duplicate this target in a file here and post it for down loading that would be fine by me.

I can post another picture with the sizes. I'll do that a bit later tonight.
smile.gif

I thought that we had this figured out. I can't be done, because the top .22 LR champion of New Mexico said so.

The size of the can in the center of the target is;

2 11/16" x 4 3/4" with a 2" aiming (orange center) circle.

The size of the round disc is;

5"

The size of the rectangle is;

5" x 7"

There seems to be a lot of talk of Long Range over on RFC lately. There are a few guys who are looking at doing rigs for 200-300yds. RFC is a great place to learn about your rimfires though. I know they have helped me greatly with my CZs.

I was hitting ground squirrels at 198 yards (using a range finder) today. I was up a bit over 3 mils and holding dead on. It did take one or two shots ( or 8 or 10) to get the range but was fairly consistant after I got it dialed in. Another 50 yards may take the ole average down a bit but hitting it at 250 is not impossible. I hit a squirrel last year with a Sako Quad at 298 yards (not on the first shot though
grin.gif
) with the 17HMR barrel installed. Took a bit of elevation and a bit of windage but once dialed in the shot was repeatable. This one was off a BR Pivot bench all sandbagged in so it was a cheating a bit
wink.gif

I have seen some fantastic shots with a 22LR (most not repeatable
laugh.gif
).

I shot a running ground squirrel at 163 yards today as well (it wasn't the one I was aiming at though
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)

Never tried it from a boat...heck I'd probably hit the boat and sink it
crazy.gif
Doubt I could even hit the pop bottle taped to the end
laugh.gif
blush.gif

I have never tried it much over 300 yards (other than the looong shots where you hold to the bottom of the scope and still hit 2' low. I never bothered to range these shots...probably should just to get an idea of how far I can shoot without dialing it up.).

Here is today's rig...

P1030151.jpg

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sodacan.jpg
</div></div>

Now this is a target! I love it!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iShoot17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There seems to be a lot of talk of Long Range over on RFC lately. There are a few guys who are looking at doing rigs for 200-300yds. RFC is a great place to learn about your rimfires though. I know they have helped me greatly with my CZs. </div></div>

Some over there do seem to be showing more interest in long range .22... This is a shift from their normal "it can't be done" additude that has been the mind set of RFC for some time. Perhaps they are beginning to learn what the .22lr is actually capable of when one begins to understand the round (subsonic) beyond 50 yards.
smile.gif

I think you are seeing more people like myself on that site. I didn't change my opinion on long range rimfire, I have always been a long range guy, but I found RFC on a google search. I don't believe the "can't be done" crowd will change.

I was shooting next to a guy yesterday who was making consistent (8 of 10) hits on a Mello Yello can at 240 yds with a rimfire. This can be done.

I didn't shoot a can but a few 3 x 5 cards over the weekend at 250yards. I used my "favorite old rifle" 22" Marlin my father bought me about 20+ years ago. I don't even remember what the scope is. I think its a old Tasco 8 x 32. All the writing was worn off years ago dragging her through the woods squirrel hunting. I only hit 5 for 15 at 250 my first time trying with 40gr. Fiocchi's. I was about center field and prone. The wind/breeze seriously kicked my arse. Elevation was fair every shot but one little puff of wind would kill the shot. I moved over near the tree line and fixed most of my wind problem but still was only getting about 85% hits with 40gr. and dropped to only 45% with 32gr. I had a pretty consistent breeze all day nothing gusting some "puffs" here and there. I only tested it a few times but didn't feel I could improve it with anything but practice. The wind was all the fight. I will never claim to be good at reading the wind either but the breeze was maybe 2mph and I was holding 2.5 to 3 inches left to hit. I think the gun is far more accurate than me and 3 inches is narrow as hell. I averaged 12 of 15 after moving to the tree line. Only shot one 15 shot pass with the 32gr CCI's and hit 7 for 16. I bet if you turned the card sideways and give yourself the 5" for windage you could consistently get 95% plus on this. One thing about the cards too. They are only slightly larger then a can but the extra 1/4 inch removed would take 2-3 hits off two group stated above. They were on solid on the card but if you took off the 1/4 they would have been half hole or less.

Some of you guys better with winds could probably eat this for breakfast. I believe everyone of my bad shots was poor wind correction on my part. I may run this test with my other 22's and see if I can improve it with a scope adjustments rather than hold off. I have alot of faith in my old Marlin so that was my first choice to try with. I can honestly say that shooting the little 22 was as much fun as playing with a big gun.

Sorry for the long winded post. I am not the best conveyor of thoughts lol. I call it rambling when others do it. Oh and I know 15 shot groups are a bit odd but the tube holds 18 and I like shooting more than reloading.

I'm currently shooting 4" groups with my 17 at 300. So I could definitely nail it at least 3/5 times with that. Not so sure how well I'd do with the MKII though. Would be fun to give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lobbinlead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't shoot a can but a few 3 x 5 cards over the weekend at 250yards. I used my "favorite old rifle" 22" Marlin my father bought me about 20+ years ago. I don't even remember what the scope is. I think its a old Tasco 8 x 32. All the writing was worn off years ago dragging her through the woods squirrel hunting. I only hit 5 for 15 at 250 my first time trying with 40gr. Fiocchi's. I was about center field and prone. The wind/breeze seriously kicked my arse. Elevation was fair every shot but one little puff of wind would kill the shot. I moved over near the tree line and fixed most of my wind problem but still was only getting about 85% hits with 40gr. and dropped to only 45% with 32gr. I had a pretty consistent breeze all day nothing gusting some "puffs" here and there. I only tested it a few times but didn't feel I could improve it with anything but practice. The wind was all the fight. I will never claim to be good at reading the wind either but the breeze was maybe 2mph and I was holding 2.5 to 3 inches left to hit. I think the gun is far more accurate than me and 3 inches is narrow as hell. I averaged 12 of 15 after moving to the tree line. Only shot one 15 shot pass with the 32gr CCI's and hit 7 for 16. I bet if you turned the card sideways and give yourself the 5" for windage you could consistently get 95% plus on this. One thing about the cards too. They are only slightly larger then a can but the extra 1/4 inch removed would take 2-3 hits off two group stated above. They were on solid on the card but if you took off the 1/4 they would have been half hole or less.

Some of you guys better with winds could probably eat this for breakfast. I believe everyone of my bad shots was poor wind correction on my part. I may run this test with my other 22's and see if I can improve it with a scope adjustments rather than hold off. I have alot of faith in my old Marlin so that was my first choice to try with. I can honestly say that shooting the little 22 was as much fun as playing with a big gun.

Sorry for the long winded post. I am not the best conveyor of thoughts lol. I call it rambling when others do it. Oh and I know 15 shot groups are a bit odd but the tube holds 18 and I like shooting more than reloading. </div></div>

If you are just shooting paper switch around so the wind is coming from your back...makes things much easier. I usually try to set-up with the wind to my back if I have a choice.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The size of the can in the center of the target is;

2 11/16" x 4 3/4" with a 2" aiming (orange center) circle.

The size of the round disc is;

5"

The size of the rectangle is;

5" x 7" </div></div>

Hey Joe, I made that target of pop can on a printable pdf to scale but cant post it, please pm me an email, and I will send to you.

Regards,
DT

I went out shooting on saturday and gave it a shot, the wind started blowing about 1-3 mph when i started and it was swurling. All of my hits were well within the verticle limits but horizonaly it would hit far right and then far left seconds later. on a very calm day it can happen with great results, even with a consistant wind I think it is very posible. I would hit 1 or 2 out of 10 in horrible conditions. problably 8 out of 10 on a great day.

Oh ya and great job Seals for taking down Osama!!!!

I didn't have any problems with elevation changing on my shots. I didn't check but extreme spread vertically was only 4 inches max. I never felt the ammo let me down on any shot just the wind kicked my butt. I take that back, the 32gr had two shots drop below but were right as well. Still could have been the wind though.

I couldn't turn the wind to my back as suggested above. Where I was shooting their were homes within 500 yards to my north and my east. I don't feel like a bullet could luck its way from prone to a house but I prefer not to take chances. I keep a small piece of AR400 there for backing 22's and low power handguns targets anyway. Its just a 4' square. All my misses in the wind were still fairly close on the plate. My worst was approx 8 inches right of my holder so about 10 inches from center of target.

I want to stretch it out to 300 or more and see how it does. Will shoot a different rifle though. I remember shooting rats with that old Marlin at 100 yards as a kid with my brother but never really gave a thought to shooting a 22 longer until I read this thread.

Haven't tried the can yet, but did do some egg shooting at a 100yds with the pistol recently using a 2.5X pistol scope. It took one sighter to get my elevation. Certainly no match for a well built rifle with high power scope, but an egg is much smaller than a soda can too and velocity is lower from a 10" barrel using Federal bulk ammo. I may have to re-sight for a 250yds zero and see what the old T/C pistol can do
wink.gif
. The kids went crazy over shooting the eggs, so not many more fell to the pistol once they saw the splatter effect with their rifle at 50yds
laugh.gif
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Gt92fjiMR4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Gt92fjiMR4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Planning on doing the 3X5 card test sat morning with my MKII. Will post some pics and a report. Is it cheating to turn the card sideways...lol
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing the long range .22lr for years I just love to see peoples response when you sit down at the 250 yd range with your .22, and many times out shoot them with their centerfires. It is a way to really get good with your rifle. Last year I made a head shot on a squirel @ 80 yds off hand and it was only because I knew what my .22 rifle was capable of.(My hunting buddy was astonished) </div></div>

Lemme get this straight. You with your rimfire are going to shoot more accurately at distance than I am with a 6 BR? I don't know what the hell you are smokin' kid but it's no good for you.

^ You got it straight alright. There are people in this section that will SLAUGHTER centerfires at distance with a rimfire. Just the way it is.

This is going to require an EXTRA LARGE popcorn..........

^I'm not saying they'll smoke everyone. I'm just saying that there are guys here that are just rediculous with a rimfire.

I don't suppose you would have anything resembling cash to wager on such a contest would you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^I'm not saying they'll smoke everyone. I'm just saying that there are guys here that are just rediculous with a rimfire. </div></div>

He didn't say he'd beat someone with a 6BR target rig, don't take it out of context. I imagine him doing better than Bubba with his 30-06 getting ready for deer season, no need to be a hero here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't suppose you would have anything resembling cash to wager on such a contest would you? </div></div>

my conditions for tall claims are your range or mine 2 weeks advance appointment, wager amount + loser pays travel costs, some act very insulted but no one ever wanted my money (mostly this has been claims of my ______ shoots "consistent" _______ groups, I say 50 rds straight in 1 hour is consistent, so show me)

I knew it <span style="font-style: italic">could</span> be done, I wasn't sure I could do it with my little Marlin. But, this weekend while shooting a steel plate (8"x16") with my 7mm (easy, but my bro had never shot beyond 100) I tried my .17 hmr. Drilled it fairly easy, just had to watch the wind. I figured what the hell and decided to try the .22. Sighted at 50 yds with 36 grain mini mag hp's, I had to hold <span style="font-style: italic">way</span> over the target. Following the dirt "splash" I was able to get on target within 3 shots and put the next 13 out of 19 on the steel. The others were close, blown by the wind. My bro, again, had never shot beyond 100 yds, was able to make several hits after finding a spot in the bush several feet above the target to aim at
shocked.gif
I have to say that it was some of the most fun I have had shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't suppose you would have anything resembling cash to wager on such a contest would you? </div></div>

my conditions for tall claims are your range or mine 2 weeks advance appointment, wager amount + loser pays travel costs, some act very insulted but no one ever wanted my money (mostly this has been claims of my ______ shoots "consistent" _______ groups, I say 50 rds straight in 1 hour is consistent, so show me) </div></div>

George....... Any time and I mean ANYTIME you would like to be my guest in Ohio at a state of the art range I would be glad to accomodate you. Make the wager easy on yourself. Barrel heat being what it is in the summer I would suggest 30 rds per hour. We can shoot up to 600meters so hitch up your jock big boy. Choice of distance over 250 yds. is of course yours. Don't want to force you into a corner on the wager, I would shoot against you just for the enjoyment. Please, bring it on. Oh and by the way, bring along your offhand rimfire rifle or long range rimfire pistol too, we don't want to miss any of the fun........ gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yo hammer...pass me that popcorn?
wink.gif
</div></div>

You betcha...... If you get in the neighborhood contact me and be my guest for the day. We have a phenominal range, all 7 of 'em in one complex.

I've been setting on my "can" 250 yard gong target for near two months now waiting for decent weather when the wind wasn't blowing 20-30 mph and raining... I'm hopeful June will be a better month then April & May for shooting this 250 yard gong.

I prefer the "can gong" as I'll be able to make any small aiming adjustments after reading the swing and bullet splat on the gong. I'll be happy with a 68% to 72% hit count out of 25 shots (17/25 or 18/25), but naturally will of course want to do better then that. All I'm waiting for is a decent weather day. I haven't abandon the hunt.
smile.gif

It took 3 shots to get the scope adjusted but went 5 for 5 on whistle pigs at 200 to 225 today. They are a bit taller and a bit narrower then a soda can but much more fun to shoot
smile.gif

Nordic Components, 18" barrel, RRA lower with Geissele trigger, NightForce 2.5-10x24 set at 6x, shot off a tripod set-up, Federal 525 bulk pack ammo (which seems to shoot MUCH better than the price would indicate with a few flyers every so often).

Still need to take it out to 250 with a soda can or target of such.

Pat

Ok, was shooting my June SH comps today and after finishing up with my 200 yard shooting, I moved my target stand out to 250 yards and posted this target which I took 25 shots at from the bench using my Savage MKII FVT w/ 20 MOA EGW Base & 6-24x42 AO Tasco Mil-Dot scope.

014-1.jpg

I came up to much at first allowing an additional 15 MOA (if I remember right - I didn't keep notes) from my 200 yard zero but found out quickly I was shooting way to high as you can see. This is not a range I keep book on so I continued to adjust down until I found the can with my cross hairs and continued to do a bit of fine tuning. This is the results of my 25 shots from 250 yards at this target.

15 of 25 - hits on the can. I'm going to give this another go as I know I can do better. I mainly look at this run as a pilot run to what one can expect. Next outing I'll keep better book info on this as actually this is not hard to hit once zeroed.

Also, I had a pretty darn good weather day. 80 degrees, 3-5 mph wind, 38% humidity... Ammo: 40 grain Eley Sport (1085 fps).

Anyway, I was happy with these results for a quick and dirty target I just threw out at 250 yards with no hard ballistic info recorded on this distance.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, was shooting my June SH comps today and after finishing up with my 200 yard shooting, I moved my target stand out to 250 yards and posted this target which I took 25 shots at from the bench using my Savage MKII FVT w/ 20 MOA EGW Base & 6-24x42 AO Tasco Mil-Dot scope.

014-1.jpg

</div></div>

Jeez sir... You should have kept some notes because had you not adjusted too high it looks like all but one would have hit the can... I am impressed to say the least... I'll admit that I was in the "it couldn't be done" crowd for a while, but after hearing all the success and seeing your target... I'm definitely a convert!

I feel the conditions I had to shoot in today (which were excellent by the way) played the biggest part of all. The rifle is setting with the scope now zeroed at 250 yards. On my next outing to the Range I'll count the clicks down then come back up to my 200 yard zero at which point I'll make a note in my shooting log (which I left at home today) as to where I need to be for 250 yards.

I'll admit, I thought the same thing about those high shots above the can silhouette. I'm still kind of kicking myself over that.

Carter, I only got 60% of my shots in. If I recall, I think I posted somewhere that'd I'd be happy with a 60 to 65% hit ratio. I also might mention I was dialed up to 16 Power and I think I hit a sweet spot when I adjusted my focus.

As I said, I had near perfect conditions today. Something that doesn't happen to often where I live, at least so far this year.
smile.gif

No matter which way you split it, fine conditions or not, it's still fantastic shooting and a job well done! Proving that it is VERY possible
wink.gif

Thanks guys.

By the way, I did use a rear bag on when shooting this target.

some one needs to post a video of shooting a pop can at 250 yards with a 22lr, see if they can make it flop around.

We hung one in front of a piece of cardboard and the wind kept blowing it around so we hung a rock from it but it just poked holes in it. Maybe on a perfectly calm day it might move it with a hit. Don't take much wind to move an empty pop can hanging on a string.

Topstrap

Hey Top.

I went out a couple days ago and shot my Ruger Charger with new Kidd 10" barrel and PFI 3-9x 22 LR Rapid Reticle at 50, 150 and 200 yds. I avgd. 1 MOA @ 50 yds, and 2 MOA at both 150 and 200 yds. with a 5-10 mph from 4:00. Here's 2 different loads (Fed. Auto Mtch. and Fed Value Pack [upper 3 vertical shots]) @ 150. Fascinating thing is that AM's @ 1230 (40's) and FVP's @ 1330 (36's) were scary close to the Rapid Reticle as set up (zeroed at 50yds.) for both 150 and 200 yds. I couldn't believe it--

150/8" plate-
IMG_1237.jpg

3-9x22LongRifleRapidReticle.jpg

...bet i could hit that 250-yd. pop can (some) with addtl. turret comeups using the 200 yd. mark.

Scary isn't it that they will shoot that well? I wonder if where that thin crosshair touches the heavy at the bottom be about right for 250? Pretty neat reticle you have there. Son is going to put his new SS 6-20 on our 541 when it comes to try on out past 300, he ran out of elevation with the old Weaver K-12. I'd like to put a Kidd on my Charger, Dale really likes his and said it was a big improvement.

We've still had the best luck with 40gr MiniMags out past 250 although a lot of others like the subsonic stuff. The 36gr stuff wasn't even close. Chris tried some old PMC Scoremaster that would barely function in our Browning Buckmarks and it put 10 shots onto a 4"x5" plate at 234 yards into one small grey blob. Last we had of it but is surprising how some guns like a particular ammo and others throw a pattern with it and price or reputation don't seem to matter.

Topstrap

Man --i think that's the fun part of it--trying to get the cheap bulk stuff to shoot.

I'll probably just use the 200-yd. mark and add MOA clicks past that range to be able to use the windage marks more directly.

2nd shot at 250 (coke can, bullet hole is at 3:00 on edge of lower silver circle). Fed. Auto Match zeroed for 200 (10x11" steel-1.5 MOA low). Ballistics program called for 30 MOA (9.5 more than the 20.6 MOA Rapid Reticle 200-yd. line). 1st shot was about 3/4 MOA high so brought it down 3 clicks and nailed the sucker. It was filled with sand and it knocked it over and ripped the back of the can.

I figure maybe 40-50% success at that range, maybe less. Brought the rig back to "zero" and shot the 2 shots seen on the 200-yd. steel--maybe 3/4 MOA low.--

IMG_1249.jpg