• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SOLVED: BAD BARREL

One1Bravo

Ops4
Minuteman
  • Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I decided to try to load up some rounds for my new gas gun in 6.5 Creedmoor today and am having a hard time with my OAL. Bullets are 140gr ELDM. Using the Hornady OAL gauge if I shove the bullet in until there is no more movement I get an OAL of 2.8500. I tried loading some dummy rounds with OALs between 2.830 (Max mag length for my PMAGs) and 2.725 and they all chamber fine by dropping the bolt from the locked back position but when cycling the bolt it takes considerable force to extract. It's also pulling my bullets back out of the case some on the dummy round. I tried chambering a factory Nosler match round (all I have factory ammo wise) that has an OAL of 2.7445. Again, chambered fine but was crazy hard to extract pulling the bolt back. Examine the bullet upon extraction shows that it is pretty gouged up (pictures attached). I tried to use the OAL gauge and only push the bullet in until I met the first resistance and the OAL consistently came back at 2.6055 with the ELDM. This seems really short. Any ideas on if the problem is with me or is my chamber trash?

20181112_122533.jpg

20181112_122512.jpg

20181112_122458.jpg

20181112_122434.jpg

I dont really see anything that shows its been jammed in the lands. This is what land imprints look like, little squared off things.
    1542062748723.png

I do see some gouges but I would assume thats from you feeding it into the chamber and dragging it over feed ramps.

I also see what looks like you ran some steel wool over it, could be indicative of a tight freebore diameter. Smoke the bullet (unpowdered, unprimed case) or cover it in sharpie to see if that leaves any imprints.

I dont really see anything that shows its been jammed in the lands. This is what land imprints look like, little squared off things.
    View attachment 6969668

I do see some gouges but I would assume thats from you feeding it into the chamber and dragging it over feed ramps.

I also see what looks like you ran some steel wool over it, could be indicative of a tight freebore diameter. Smoke the bullet (unpowdered, unprimed case) or cover it in sharpie to see if that leaves any imprints.

Here is the dummy round:
    20181112_165140.jpg

20181112_165047.jpg

20181112_165027.jpg

Thems some ugly bullets, thats for sure.

Are they that nasty just from feeding them into the chamber by hand? Or are you dragging them behind your truck for a half mile down a gravel road first?

Thems some ugly bullets, thats for sure.

Are they that nasty just from feeding them into the chamber by hand? Or are you dragging them behind your truck for a half mile down a gravel road first?

LOL. That's all from chambering. I seated to desired length, loaded in mag, chambered using bolt release, then extracted via charging handle. All of them, even factory, were very hard to extract. I've had many ARs (all 5.56, no large frame) and have never had any with resistance on extraction.

I would try pulling a bullet on one of the cases and chamber it empty. See if it still gets stuck on extraction.

Sharpied factory round:
    20181112_185347.jpg

20181112_185351.jpg

Sharpied bullet in OAL gauge jammed in:
    20181112_185248.jpg

Empty brass was also difficult to extract as well so I'm not sure what is going on.

Empty brass was also difficult to extract as well so I'm not sure what is going on.

Yeah, that is what I was suggesting earlier. Doesn't look like your bullets are getting jammed, but something going on with the cases. Is your head space within spec?

Yeah, that is what I was suggesting earlier. Doesn't look like your bullets are getting jammed, but something going on with the cases. Is your head space within spec?

Headspace should be good. Barrel was installed by a gunsmith. I don't own any gauges to check for certain though.

If you have a full size die, try bumping the shoulder back as far as the die allows on a test piece. Then see if that empty case is easier to extract.

Also, in regards to the bullets pulling from the case when chambering, are you letting the bolt slam forward on a loaded magazine? My .308 AR does this if I don't gently ride the bolt home. I press the bullets into the case a little further to compensate. The momentum of slamming forward acts like a bullet puller.

It looks like you may have a tight throat area in the chamber? If that is tight and the bullet concentricty is a little off you may see that. Does it only happen on one side of the bullet?

Maybe. It's bending the case mouths on empty cases; I don't know if that's normal.
    20181112_193216.jpg

I tried not slamming the bolt and it wouldn't even go all the way forward.
    20181112_192504.jpg

Slinging it from halfway had the same results.
    20181112_192602.jpg

Starting to think this may be a barrel issue. Same issues with both the dummy round and the factory round. Empty case bolt closed with a full or half release but not when riding the CH forward.

Are you sure it isnt a 308 chamber because that is very unusual.

Pull the bolt back and lock it. See if you can drop the brass in the chamber fully with the barrel facing the ground.

I'm sure it's 6.5 Creedmoor, at least that's what the markings say.

Empty brass:
    20181112_195649.jpg

Factory:
    20181112_195603.jpg

Dummy round:
    20181112_195527.jpg

Ummm... drop a piece of brass in the chamber and let the bolt go home maybe. See it the bolt closes fully.

Clean the chamber, bolt, bolt internals, extractor, receiver, etc and lube the hell out of it. It looks like metal fragments in the locking lug area too. Look for galling etc.

Something is a miss with the barrel when it is doing that to the neck.

Bolt won't close fully with just a piece of brass on the first try. Slam the bolt home again and it will. Ran a chamber brush in there and blew it out with some canned air. Same results. I submitted a contact us form to the barrel manufacturer with a description of the problems and pictures. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Just to keep this updated. I tried contacting the barrel manufacturer Ballistic Advantage. I submitted a contact form with a detailed description of the problem and attached pictures. I received a response a day later that stated "Hi, We appreciate the inquiry. That is strange. Do you see anything in the chamber that could be causing that? Do you feel any edges on the feed ramps?" When attempting to respond via their web page I am blocked by their firewall no matter which device or computer I use. I have also called and left a voicemail and reached out on social media with no response to either. As of now I am not a happy camper. :mad:

Get the tools and take off the barrel and it will be easier to diagnose imo.

I'm sure it would be. I just don't have a vice or the tools and wasn't planning on spending the money for them. I don't build ARs. The only reason I didn't buy complete on this one is because I got it in a trade and it had a 308 barrel on it

I've had way better success by calling the company and talking to a person. Then if they want you to send it back ask them to send you shipping label, so you dont have to pay to ship it back.

I have called. They don't answer. I've left voicemails with no response. I submitted an additional support ticket explaining the firewall issue and the CS guy gave me his direct email address. I emailed him and he hasn't responded. They're obviously not interested in helping me.

I had the same problem and it was headspace/tight throat issue. My gunsmith used a pull through reamer to take another .01 or something off and it was fine from then on out.

Only one of my ballistic advantage barrels has been bad and it took awhile to get a hold of them. Eventually I just shipped it back with a note telling them what the problem was and they promptly sent me a new one. They are IMHO good people but the customer service side of things sucks. IIRC they only had one guy doing all of the customer service/returns etc.

Do you by chance have another bolt assembly you can try with your bcg. I had issues initially with hard chambering on my .224 Val build, one of the lugs was slightly larger and showed hard galling, changed up the bolt assembly from an off brand to a lwrc and issues went away instantly.

Do you by chance have another bolt assembly you can try with your bcg. I had issues initially with hard chambering on my .224 Val build, one of the lugs was slightly larger and showed hard galling, changed up the bolt assembly from an off brand to a lwrc and issues went away instantly.

It's a JP bolt. I have another I can try but not sure how that would be causing my case necks to get jacked up.

Looks like they might not have used a finishing reamer, plus it looks like you seat your bullets long (at least for that ogive). Disregard the crimp groove -- where do the leades actually contact the ogive, and at what cartridge overall length?

Does the cartridge fully seat in the chamber when pushing with just a finger? Once seated, does it fall free when you point the muzzle straight up?

Looks like they might not have used a finishing reamer, plus it looks like you seat your bullets long (at least for that ogive). Disregard the crimp groove -- where do the leades actually contact the ogive, and at what cartridge overall length?

Does the cartridge fully seat in the chamber when pushing with just a finger? Once seated, does it fall free when you point the muzzle straight up?

The crimp groove you're referencing is on a factory Nosler match round; I didn't seat that one. COAL for the factory round was 2.7445. My dummy round with the ELDM I started .020 off the lands and worked all the way back to 2.725 with the same results.

As for the seating by hand and free falling I'll have to check.

I've heard a few nightmare stories from Ballistic Advantage...

Have you shot the gun?
    I could find little to no info on them before I ordered the barrel. A member here said he uses them a lot for his builds. Figured I'd take a shot. They're making me regret it.

I have not shot it.

Another update- I was finally able to get someone to respond to me by pestering via resending my email over again. The response -"Thank you for the pictures. We would be happy to help with your inspection. Please ship the barrel to;

Ballistic Advantage, LLC
    6233 Edgewater Dr
    Lockhart, FL 32810

Once we receive the barrel, we will inspect and if it is indeed out of spec, we will issue a replacement. Please read the guidelines below for our return policies and procedures."

Brought it back to my gunsmith today. He looked it over before and after he pulled the barrel. He couldn't get a round or brass to fully seat in the chamber even by trying to tap it in with a punch and mallet. So there's definitely something wrong. Shipped the barrel off this afternoon and they'll have it on Monday. I'll update again when I hear back.

Got a notification via my UPS account they're shipping me a barrel that will be here Monday. I have no idea if it's a new barrel or the original. Still haven't heard from them. I notified the CS guy via email the day the barrel shipped and asked to be updated on what was found when they inspected it and what the plan of action was. He replied the next day saying he would let me know. Tempted to take a loss and just use this thing as a fucking baseball bat. I understand shit happens and bad items get sent out. As long as communication is open and customer service is good I won't complain. This has just been sad on their part.

Barrel showed up yesterday. It's a brand new in the package barrel. I doubt I'll hear from anyone about the original bad barrel. My smith said their sales guy calls him on a weekly basis trying to get him to carry their barrels. He was genuinely curious what the issue was and how they would handle it. I can promise you he won't be interested in their stuff now. Pretty big chunk of business lost for them.