• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some 22 LR Trajectory Charts

Reactions: Geno C. and lash
Another TRR-SR gun here. I've shot out to 400 with some success but not what I would call great. The conditions have to be good to stretch it past 200. We have done 300 with some pretty decent groups, again on a good day.

Lapua Center X and Eley Yellow is what my rifle likes. You have to find what yours likes. I also sort by rim thickness. I shoot suppressed and with a home made tuner. Also using bipod and rear bag from my FTR gun.

Reactions: Dakotaduner
I would think they would be really slow though
31B9B693-5B09-48F6-B60D-1541E54394AD.jpeg

Reactions: Ravenworks
First look at this thread today. I was really surprised at the drop figures in the original post - about 21~25-inches for drop @ 150 yards???

I use a highly modified CZ 457 .22 mag for my trainer instead of a .22. The only CZ part left is the action - even the trigger is not the original CZ :oops:. You can see a picture of it at the end of the post.

It is said that it is not as accurate as .22 long rifle, but I still went with the 22 Mag because it is supersonic slightly over 150 yards and that's more in keeping with PRS type of shooting discipline. 150 yards with that rifle is equivalent to a rifle that does 1200 FPS at 1000 yards.

With my.22 Mag, using Hornady VMAX 30 grain pills @ ~2200 FPS, the drop at 150 is 3.7-inches! And there's even a better round for longer ranges, though not as accurate as the 30 grain Hornady in my rifle. But only marginally so.

That is the CCI 35 grain A22. The drop on that one, maybe because of more weight and better ballistics at almost the same speed (~2100 fps) is only 2.61 inches!

That is a HUGE difference between my .22 Mag and a .22 long rifle. The price of the rifle is the same and I can swap to .22 long rifle barrel in about 15-minutes,

Nevertheless, rimfire is a ton of fun regardless of caliber and a LOT less expensive to practice with.

Pic:
i-jXfV4x7-X2.jpg

Best 3-shot group ever at 100 yards:
i-JJHCTj9-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and ZG47A
That’s a good shooting rifle. However, you should know that all of the loads in my posts are standard velocity or sub-Sonic. The reason for that was specifically to provide information on the most common loads used for NRL22 and PRS22. According to the rules of PRS22, you will no be able to use your .22 Mag in a sanctioned match. Same for NRL22.

Now, just using it as a trainer for regular CF PRS as you are doing is a great idea and you seem to have it worked out.

This is what I came up with.

I like it for the ability to plot my data and to the best of my observation, also my results. This makes the chart useful for analysis both during and after the match.

I also like it for a quick wind reference to provide relative hold overs for any distance.

It's a bit of an effort with MS Paint which I used for this, but it works. If you are good with Adobe products or even Solid Works it will be better yet.

Yes, I have to estimate the offset for different temperatures, or I could just make versions for different temperature ranges. I thought of adding a relative temperature offset scale off to the side, which I will do when I feel inspired.
223 88 At 2940 Kahles 624 MOAK Rev 15.png

Last edited:
In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

ETA: there are some more updated charts and other good info scattered throughout the rest of this thread. One day I may get around to consolidating it into this first post. Of course then I would ruin all of the fun you’ll have reading through this thread. So there’s that…

This chart is spot on for CCI SV Target in my Bergara BMR. I just shot these distances on Saturday. I found this today and it is spot on. I wish I had found this before.

Reactions: lash
Have you seen this site? How does it compare to your data?

I'm no fan of Frankin-guns but post #260 looks very well done. It has nice coloration and visual balance. If it is green, I would
have gone with black. I'm OCD that way..... It looks like you may have kept the factory bolt knob. I hated mine. I swapped it out for
a Vudoo knob asap. My B14R has one too.

In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

ETA: there are some more updated charts and other good info scattered throughout the rest of this thread. One day I may get around to consolidating it into this first post. Of course then I would ruin all of the fun you’ll have reading through this thread. So there’s that…
Thanks for the chart!

This feels like an old query but the link below is something I found in just a few minutes looking on the net.
Personally, I used my own DOPE that I had collected. I also have to wonder why anybody would trust canned DOPE
more than their own DOPE?

Superfluous information removed by poster. Who wants extra information that might pique their interests?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
If by "compete against" you mean NRL22, NRL22X or PRS22 matches... none, they don't allow 22mag, they are restricted to 22LR. Some NRL22 matches allow airguns to compete, but no .17mach2, .17hmr or 22wmr.

Superfluous Field Target information removed by poster.

Last edited:
That's precisely what I mean. In Field Target in the USA, many people have decided to shoot under the World Field Target
Federation rules and that includes having a maximum energy output of 12 FPE. I have always shot in the unlimited "A" class,
USA rules which allows for a maximum of 20 FPE. So If I go to a match and only one person shoots in my class, I don't want to
beat just him, I want to beat everyone that is competing under the World Field Target Federation rules. That is why I have
a brand new aluminum high power regulator that is shooting 17.25 FPE along with the original brass 12 FPE reg.
Part of the benefit to shooting unlimited class is, I don't have to worry about any pesky rules and have I inadvertently broken any.
The first image is of a high flow valve with a smaller head and a reduced valve stem. The Hill compressor will charge my guns
to 4500 psi. so I don't need to fill my scuba tanks and keep them up to date.

This is all very cool and all, but don’t you think it would do better in its own thread, that isn’t about .22 LR trajectories?

I do. 😉

Reactions: Geno C.
Yup got a whole section for air rifles. Has nothing to do with .22 LR trajectories.

Reactions: 25ring and RTH1800
This is what I came up with.

I like it for the ability to plot my data and to the best of my observation, also my results. This makes the chart useful for analysis both during and after the match.

I also like it for a quick wind reference to provide relative hold overs for any distance.

It's a bit of an effort with MS Paint which I used for this, but it works. If you are good with Adobe products or even Solid Works it will be better yet.

Yes, I have to estimate the offset for different temperatures, or I could just make versions for different temperature ranges. I thought of adding a relative temperature offset scale off to the side, which I will do when I feel inspired.
View attachment 8027339

I messaged @PracticalTactical about this chart, but he hasn't logged on since January.

Does anyone know what was used to plot this?

Thanks - I completely missed that whole paragraph in his post.

I have no idea how you would even go about this in MS Paint, other than just manually drawing each line.

I have no idea how you would even go about this in MS Paint, other than just manually drawing each line.
I concur, though I have done some crazy stunts creating engineering drawings using just PowerPoint when that is all I was provided. You have to really learn how to manipulate the software in order to use it in a way that it wasn’t intended. He implies that’s what he did, though he may have imported the graph in from another program (likely) and then used Paint to make it look right and say what it meant.

I’ve done similar things. Not the best option, but it works if that’s what you’ve got to work with.

It wouldn't be as elegant but it would be much faster to create something like this in Excel, and you could have a lookup table that the graph would reference.

I’ll post up this basic chart that is correct for my 28” barreled Win 52C.
All data has been verified over two years. The slight inconsistencies I have found I attributed to environmental conditions.
Eley Tenex EPS
62D565CF-255F-4F63-AB01-461895F0AD6A.png

I had good luck with Eley force in my factory Sako Quad varmint, here is target 25yrds - 100yrds. My drop was allot less at 100 than I would expect ???

With my Volquartsen 10/22 I've found less drop at 100 yards with Eley Force, compared to SK high velocity match

I just bought a CZ453, that came with a tuner, about a brick of Lapua ammunition, and a Nikon 6-20 with fine crosshairs, and a target dot. I took it to the range yesterday, and the Lapua didn't do much better than CCI SV. I forgot to take some SK to try. Come the next warm day, I'll try SK in the CZ and Lapua in my Volquartsen, IF none of my rifles like the Lapua, it's going down the road, along with the Nikon scope. The Scope would be great for benchrest, which the previous owner used it for. There's an Anchutz MTR, that's tempting

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
I’ll post up this basic chart that is correct for my 28” barreled Win 52C.
All data has been verified over two years. The slight inconsistencies I have found I attributed to environmental conditions.
Eley Tenex EPS View attachment 8240318
Nice but 22LR is .223, not .224. Probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Old military ballistics chart for 22LR standard velocity round. Would be interesting to compare it with stuff what you have today. I guess the tests were not carried with match grade ammo.
.22RF FiringChart1TM 9-1005-206-12.jpg

Attachments

• .22 RF Small Arms Design and Ballistics, Design vol 2 of 2_0341.jpg
    .22 RF Small Arms Design and Ballistics, Design vol 2 of 2_0341.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 18