• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some 22 LR Trajectory Charts

Good choice of words.
Yeah, I have ammo that shoots better in the Tikka, Zephyr II and the two Anschutz but this is the best so far in the Sako M78. So far two lot numbers have produced great results in the Sako. Here are groups with SK RM and PM. For rimfire testing I prefer to shoot ten 5-shot groups on the same plate. A lot of guys just show a single 5 shot group that looks fantastic, what they don't show are the others. I say, don't try to fool others, a phony will be spotted quick.

Attachments

• 0218191729.jpg
    0218191729.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 0218191728.jpg
    0218191728.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 368
0.105 BC for CCI SV from the attachment on pg.2 still working well for everyone? Decent amount off from Strelok Pro (0.123)

CCI SV unfortunately isn't listed on my Kestrel Link Ballistics App. An AB Custom Curve would be stellar.

It works for me. That’s what I’m shooting mostly. Of course, I’m only shooting out to about 325 yards, so, somewhat limited verification.

It works for me. That’s what I’m shooting mostly. Of course, I’m only shooting out to about 325 yards, so, somewhat limited verification.

That's way more than me at the moment. Soon to change though! Thanks!

Reactions: lash
My Kestrel LiNK App just ran an update that now has CCI SV 40gr Custom Curves!!!

I'd just created a profile for G1 .105 based on the info in this thread. Haven't had an opportunity to see how good it works though. I'll add the custom curve as well and see what wins!

Let us know how it goes.

Only had a few minutes to shoot before it got dark, but CCI SV Custom Curve off my Kestrel Elite was good for 1st shot hits at 100, 200, and 300yds on (guessing) 4in or 5in plates.

Savage B22 FV in Boyd's ProVarmint with SWFA 3-15 FFP MOA zeroed at 50yds.

Great thread here! What a wealth of information! Thanks to all that have contributed!

Great charts well done. Thanks for spending the time.
If you wanted to go one further. BRIAN LITZ book he has the BC for heaps of 22s.

The data I used to 300m with my elly club was almost perfect with 128inch drop needed 41 moa of elevation as the elley is . 157 bc

Charts and ballistic coefficients used to build them are a great help but actually shooting at different distances will get the come ups that are precise. Your gun, your lot of ammunition, and your firing range environment (I know the environment changes so test in more than one condition) make for absolute come ups and the limits of accuracy of you and your gun.

Just saying...........

Reactions: RH45
Charts and ballistic coefficients used to build them are a great help but actually shooting at different distances will get the come ups that are precise. Your gun, your lot of ammunition, and your firing range environment (I know the environment changes so test in more than one condition) make for absolute come ups and the limits of accuracy of you and your gun.

Just saying...........
Thank you, oh wise and great .22 master. Did you even read the first post or are you just trying to sound superior in your vast knowledge? These charts were provided to allow those that have not had the opportunity to shoot .22 at distance to have a place to start. Otherwise finding the right come ups to begin with is a lengthy task.

I specifically stated what these were for. Glad that you have no need for these charts ever. I am humbled.

@lash here is some more velocity data for you to add to your reference spreadsheet if you wish.
Measured with a Magmetospeed V2 and shot with a Sig Sauer 200 STR. 27.6" barrel. Temperatures generally from 35 to 50 F and 65 - 100% RH. Ammo was shot acclimatized to ambient temperature.

Attachments

• Ammo_velocities.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
forgot to say that the BCs that work for me in Strelok pro (with the measured velocities in the spreadsheet above) out to 200m are:

Eley Match 0.112 (RA4)
Eley Tenex 0.112 (RA4)
Eley Edge 0.193 (RA4)
RWS R50 0.111 (RA4) - RWS R50 dosen't work well for me so i don't get a very good match with any BC
I use the Lapua drag function for the Lapua ammo - appears to work well.

I find i have to pay a lot of attention to weather and powder temp to get good solutions that match my real world DOPE - is this generally the case ?

Lash, I was not trying to sound as you said "oh wise and great .22 master". Of course I read your first post.

I was trying to help those that use charts and wonder why to did not hit as the chart indicated. Our club shoots a Tactical RF match each month and I see way too many of my fellow shooters relying on the charts without verifying. and missing the targets. My comments were presented to be a helpful reminder only and not an offense to you and your hard and admirable work on this subject.

And you Sir were being a real butt with your comments. Please don't start a pissing contest as I will not play.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Lash, I was not trying to sound as you said "oh wise and great .22 master". Of course I read your first post.

I was trying to help those that use charts and wonder why to did not hit as the chart indicated. Our club shoots a Tactical RF match each month and I see way too many of my fellow shooters relying on the charts without verifying. and missing the targets. My comments were presented to be a helpful reminder only and not an offense to you and your hard and admirable work on this subject.

And you Sir were being a real butt with your comments. Please don't start a pissing contest as I will not play.
You are right, I probably was a butt with my response. No excuses.

To reinforce what you are saying, it always pays to verify your personal dope for any rifle and load/round when shooting at more than close distances. It probably did merit pointing out to those that assume all they need is a chart off of the internet in order to be golden.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Went out to our range Monday (2/3/20). My rifle is a 20" Vudoo with a Bartlein barrel in Kukri contour in a MPA chassis with a Vortex PST II SFP scope. Shot off a wooden bench with a bipod and rear bag filled with heavy sand. Wind was somewhat strong and switching. Temp was 60 degrees. Ammunition was unsorted Eley Match made last year (2019). Rifle was sighted at 50 yards (0 on turrets) to start. Waited for the wind to drop between cycles for the below results.

Resulting actual come-ups were:

110 yards 8.75 MOA up
120 yards 9.75 MOA up
130 yards 12.0 MOA up
140 yards 13.5 MOA up
150 yards 14.75 MOA up
160 yards 16.75 MOA up
170 yards 19.0 MOA up
180 yards 20.5 MOA up
190 yards 26 MOA up

I did this shooting to get my come-ups prior to the up coming "tactical rimfire" match at our club, Benton Gun Club. I used the published results to get an approximate come-up then adjusted based upon actual impacts on targets set up at each distance. The 100 yard and 200 yard target boards blew over before I was able to get my come-ups.

The above is just a report of my come-up on that day. I present these to give you an approximate ballistic chart for your use and of course your results will vary based upon your gun, ammo, and weather conditions.

Went out to our range Monday (2/3/20). My rifle is a 20" Vudoo with a Bartlein barrel in Kukri contour in a MPA chassis with a Vortex PST II SFP scope. Shot off a wooden bench with a bipod and rear bag filled with heavy sand. Wind was somewhat strong and switching. Temp was 60 degrees. Ammunition was unsorted Eley Match made last year (2019). Rifle was sighted at 50 yards (0 on turrets) to start. Waited for the wind to drop between cycles for the below results.

Resulting actual come-ups were:

110 yards 8.75 MOA up
120 yards 9.75 MOA up
130 yards 12.0 MOA up
140 yards 13.5 MOA up
150 yards 14.75 MOA up
160 yards 16.75 MOA up
170 yards 19.0 MOA up
180 yards 20.5 MOA up
190 yards 26 MOA up

I did this shooting to get my come-ups prior to the up coming "tactical rimfire" match at our club, Benton Gun Club. I used the published results to get an approximate come-up then adjusted based upon actual impacts on targets set up at each distance. The 100 yard and 200 yard target boards blew over before I was able to get my come-ups.

The above is just a report of my come-up on that day. I present these to give you an approximate ballistic chart for your use and of course your results will vary based upon your gun, ammo, and weather conditions.

Travelor,
I was just going to ask you if you had compared your come-ups with any type of chart like:
I just read the above posts I get the feeling that you have. I personally have always used empirical data for my elevation but I am going to check these charts this year to see how they compare. I would never use the chart alone. I would however like to see how the wind portion of the chart works because that is always a variable. From the chart it looks like the deflection at any given value increases in a liner fashion. Meaning that, at 5 mph your deflection my be 1.5 moa and at 10 mph it works out to be 3 moa. So at 7 mph the deflection is 2.1 moa.
When the snow clears, I will be curious to see how the chart holds up.
Below is my latest DOPE chart and holder. I'm far to cheap to buy anything.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC00112.JPG
    DSC00112.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 348
Yeah, I have ammo that shoots better in the Tikka, Zephyr II and the two Anschutz but this is the best so far in the Sako M78. So far two lot numbers have produced great results in the Sako. Here are groups with SK RM and PM. For rimfire testing I prefer to shoot ten 5-shot groups on the same plate. A lot of guys just show a single 5 shot group that looks fantastic, what they don't show are the others. I say, don't try to fool others, a phony will be spotted quick.

KOD.... that is some really nice deep blue your Sako has !!
The only people that the phony is fooling is themselves. If your not shooting as well as you want to then practice, learn and make some changes.

Shawn

Last edited:
This is all excellent info! Just completed my CZ455 build. Onyx stock/Vortex Gen1 6-24x PST.

Been shooting a Kidd Supermatch in comps the last 2 years

I was conversing with an old and very experienced target shooter over the weekend about all the whole optimum barrel length discussion.

There were 3 significant take aways...

1) Anschutz runs longer barrels than max velocity length suggests... I am quick to accept they have good reason considering how well they shoot. They are the gold standard for 22 LR accuracy, and have been for a very long time.
2) Barrel lengths selected for max velocity are typically too short and too light to achieve good balance for PRS shooting with the balance point in front on the mag. Another case for a longer barrel.
3) The longer barrels, while longer than max speed length also serve to allow internal pressures to drop. That in turn reduces muzzle blast and that in turn reduces bullet deflection caused by muzzle blast once the bullet leaves the barrel. So in theory should be more accurate.

Sometimes we focus on one thing (max velocity in this case) instead of what is best for the whole package.

Since ammunition is available in a variety of velocities, it would seem easy enough to achieve the "preferred" muzzle velocity through ammo selection even if that velocity is not the max possible velocity for that particular ammo.

Last edited:
Seems reasonable, but I sure would like to see some definitive measurable tests to support the argument/concept.

Seems reasonable, but I sure would like to see some definitive measurable tests to support the argument/concept.

Consider these rifles as a case study.

One could argue the longer barrel is to increase the distance between the front and rear sight, which is not unreasonable... But these are highly successful target rifles with an impeccable accuracy record.

Distance between sights or not, they shoot extremely well. Besides, they could always extend the sight radius using a tubular sight extension, (if there was an advantage) but they choose to simply run a longer barrel.

These are all in the 26 inch barrel length range.

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/64-MP-R-Multi-Purpose-2.html#nogo

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/1907-Small-Bore-Target-Rifle.html

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/1913-in-Aluminum-Stock-Precise-1918-Grip-L.html

I've been to the national matches at Camp Perry many times over the years and don't ever recall seeing a 20" barrel on the range... and there was a lot of rifles there.

I was conversing with an old and very experienced target shooter over the weekend about all the whole optimum barrel length discussion.

There were 3 significant take aways...

1) Anschutz runs longer barrels than max velocity length suggests... I am quick to accept they have good reason considering how well they shoot. They are the gold standard for 22 LR accuracy, and have been for a very long time.
2) Barrel lengths selected for max velocity are typically too short and too light to achieve good balance for PRS shooting with the balance point in front on the mag. Another case for a longer barrel.
3) The longer barrels, while longer than max speed length also serve to allow internal pressures to drop. That in turn reduces muzzle blast and that in turn reduces bullet deflection caused by muzzle blast once the bullet leaves the barrel. So in theory should be more accurate.

Sometimes we focus on one thing (max velocity in this case) instead of what is best for the whole package.

Since ammunition is available in a variety of velocities, it would seem easy enough to achieve the "preferred" muzzle velocity through ammo selection even if that velocity is not the max possible velocity for that particular ammo.

Could you please clarify #3? I can visualize muzzle blast doing something bad to the bullet, But I don't see it causing deflection/trajectory. To my way of thinking the deflection starts at the instant of ignition and continues the entire time that the bullet is in the bbl. Once the bullet is out of the bbl. virtually nothing you do matters.
To state it in another way, if you could hold the bbl. level, the only deflection that you would see is downward deflection regardless of bbl length. Certainly the velocity varies with bbl length.

Shawn

Could you please clarify #3? I can visualize muzzle blast doing something bad to the bullet, But I don't see it causing deflection/trajectory. To my way of thinking the deflection starts at the instant of ignition and continues the entire time that the bullet is in the bbl. Once the bullet is out of the bbl. virtually nothing you do matters.
To state it in another way, if you could hold the bbl. level, the only deflection that you would see is downward deflection regardless of bbl length. Certainly the velocity varies with bbl length.

Shawn
I suspect that the term deflection may have been the wrong one to use in this case. It has been shown that the shape of the muzzle blast does affect things like bullet yaw and velocity robbing drag. These items definitely affect results down range. Maybe not as a bullet deflection, but more like variations in velocity and variations induced by excess bullet yaw.

Here’s an article that, while addressing center fire specifically, holds forth the theory that the shape and intensity of muzzle blast affects initial exterior yaw and can even affect/create excess bullet jump at the muzzle:

You could think of it this way...

I'll exaggerate the point for easy math.

Suppose you have a 20 inch barrel and at 20 inches you have hit the fastest possible muzzle velocity...

Now consider a 40 inch barrel... (I know its a ridiculous length but please play along for illustration purposes)

The internal pressure at 40 inches would be half of the internal pressure at 20 inches, because it is the same pressure spread over twice the volumetric area.

So that would mean there is half the muzzle blast pressure.

By reducing muzzle blast pressure, the thinking is that this should to some degree reduce the negative influence this blast of air may impart on the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

It would also slightly reduce recoil.

Since its about accuracy, any slight edge is an edge that could make a difference between top competitors.

It wont mean a thing to a plinker.

Last edited:
You could think of it this way...

I'll exaggerate the point for easy math.

Suppose you have a 20 inch barrel and at 20 inches you have hit the fastest possible muzzle velocity...

Now consider a 40 inch barrel... (I know its a ridiculous length but please play along for illustration purposes)

The internal pressure at 40 inches would be half of the internal pressure at 20 inches, because it is the same pressure spread over twice the volumetric area.

So that would mean there is half the muzzle blast pressure.

By reducing muzzle blast pressure, the thinking is that this should to some degree reduce the negative influence this blast of air my impart on the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

It would also slightly reduce recoil.

Since its about accuracy, any slight edge is an edge that could make a difference between top competitors.

It wont mean a thing to a plinker.

Being in the barrel causes friction and slows it down too right? So if your goal is 50 yard benchrest, then losing velocity isn't really going to be hurting much. So sure 26" barrel. Doing long range, we want the velocity to be coming out a decent speed.

Talking with MB @ Vudoo, their ELR rigs are 22" but also faster spinning barrels with heavier weight projectiles.

Get a good data book and track your real world data few matches and a few trips to range you will have your .22 figured out.

Reactions: STex
Get a good data book and track your real world data few matches and a few trips to range you will have your .22 figured out.

Nomad..... stop being so damn practical. Talking with smoke and mirrors is so much more fun !!
Shawn
EDIT: Thanks for the data book info.

Last edited:
Being in the barrel causes friction and slows it down too right? So if your goal is 50 yard benchrest, then losing velocity isn't really going to be hurting much. So sure 26" barrel. Doing long range, we want the velocity to be coming out a decent speed.

Talking with MB @ Vudoo, their ELR rigs are 22" but also faster spinning barrels with heavier weight projectiles.

The guys at Vudoo (from what I'm told) place an emphasis on getting the fastest possible speed out of the barrel and went to great efforts to determine what barrel length provides that.

The problem is that maximum speed is not a requirement (for ELR or 50 yard bench rest) and might be a detriment to accuracy considering the above because the max velocity barrel length is also the max muzzle blast pressure length.

If you run a 26 inch barrel with Eley Force for example, you will still be well into a high performance velocity range but muzzle blast pressures will be reduced.

With a 22LR you want to stay below the speed of sound, no matter what.

So if your barrel was long enough, you could theoretically run supersonic ammo but get sub sonic velocity because the barrel is long enough to cause that.

Bottom line is that Anschutz has own the best 22LR target rifle market for a long time. I'm not saying someone could not come up with something better, but it better actually be better.

In the case of these 20 to 22 inch barrels, selected for max velocity, I'm not buying it as the "best choice" and personally would prefer something in the 26 inch range.

Barrel length affects the rifles balance and you want a forward heavy rifle for PRS style shooting, otherwise you cannot balance the rifle on the obstacle because it will be butt heavy and then you need to steer it from the back. You being the least stable part of the firing position.

Last edited:
The guys at Vudoo (from what I'm told) place an emphasis on getting the fastest possible speed out of the barrel and went to great efforts to determine what barrel length provides that.

The problem is that maximum speed is not a requirement (for ELR or 50 yard bench rest) and might be a detriment to accuracy considering the above because the max velocity barrel length is also the max muzzle blast pressure length.

If you run a 26 inch barrel with Eley Force for example, you will still be well into a high performance velocity range but muzzle blast pressures will be reduced.

With a 22LR you want to stay below the speed of sound, no matter what.

So if your barrel was long enough, you could theoretically run supersonic ammo but get sub sonic velocity because the barrel is long enough to cause that.

Bottom line is that Anschutz has own the best 22LR target rifle market for a long time. I'm not saying someone could not come up with something better, but it better actually be better.

In the case of these 20 to 22 inch barrels, selected for max velocity, I'm not buying it as the "best choice" and personally would prefer something in the 26 inch range.

Barrel length affects the rifles balance and you want a forward heavy rifle for PRS style shooting, otherwise you cannot balance the rifle on the obstacle because it will be butt heavy and then you need to steer it from the back. You being the least stable part of the firing position.

These days we run the shortest barrel possible for velocity targets and use weights to balance the rifle. This keeps the profile of the rifle small for barricades. Sticking your rifle in and out of a cargo net or other barricade takes more time when your barrel is 26" vs 18". For rimfire matches, 18" is great. For PRS, depending on load and distance a lot of folks will be running a 26" to get the velocity they want to hit out to 1200 yards in matches.

I get the sales pitch.
I'm just not buyin it. (if guys like you repeat it enough, lots of guys will.)

But hey, go with whatever you like. It's a free world.

Case in point... The guy who won the last match I was in had weights screwed to the side of his forend that stuck out 6 inches in front of his muzzle. If the weights had been shorter, he would have needed more of it to get the balance he was after.

We can debate the theory all we want. In the end, it's just about how well each of us can shoot with whatever we have.

In PRS it's more about how you read the conditions and manage the positions.

Last edited:
These days we run the shortest barrel possible for velocity targets and use weights to balance the rifle. This keeps the profile of the rifle small for barricades. Sticking your rifle in and out of a cargo net or other barricade takes more time when your barrel is 26" vs 18". For rimfire matches, 18" is great. For PRS, depending on load and distance a lot of folks will be running a 26" to get the velocity they want to hit out to 1200 yards in matches.

Hi Little Pod,

I don't know if you have a V22 or not but when I bought mine the guy's at Vudoo did not try and push me in any direction what so ever. They provided me with every part that I requested. As for bbl lengths, my shortest is
17" on two of my Annie's and the longest is 29" on my BSA International Martini Mk 3. Out of all of my gun's
I have never given muzzle blast a second thought. To my way of thinking, they should have been given the
proper crown that diverts the blast away from the projectile and that is all I care about.

Someone else wanted to see some definitive measurable tests to support the argument/concept and I would like that too. I'm surprised that you have had the patient's to deal with this post as long as you have.

I just picked up this Sako Quad Range about ten days ago and in the photo she is still a little dirty. I took every fitting off of the stock and gave her a good going over with #0000 steel wool and many coats of wax.
She was also cleaned with toothbrushes and now she is looking factory new. Her prior caretaker did a really
nice job caring for her.

All my best
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 226
  • SAKO QUAD RANGE     1.JPG
    SAKO QUAD RANGE 1.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 224
  • SQR3.JPG
    SQR3.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 228
  • SQR6.JPG
    SQR6.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 192
  • SQR7.JPG
    SQR7.JPG
    498.9 KB · Views: 198
I get the sales pitch.
I'm just not buyin it. (if guys like you repeat it enough, lots of guys will.)

But hey, go with whatever you like. It's a free world.

Case in point... The guy who won the last match I was in had weights screwed to the side of his forend that stuck out 6 inches in front of his muzzle. If the weights had been shorter, he would have needed more of it to get the balance he was after.

We can debate the theory all we want. In the end, it's just about how well each of us can shoot with whatever we have.

In PRS it's more about how you read the conditions and manage the positions.

A skilled shooter is a skilled shooter. Heck one of the top PRS guys in this region runs a 26" 20 lb rifle to simlulate his full sized PRS matches in the rimfire matches and still beats us. But ergonomics wise, length is length and having to move something 8" longer back and forth through ladder rungs is more time consuming. I'm not going to say I lost a match because I ran a 20" barrel over a 18" barrel, but if we're talking about optimizations, then I see no reason why I would incur extra unnecessary length. My rifle balances in front of the mag well, but it took 3 lbs of weight up front to get it there.

Ok so you added weight to get the balance right...

Not to be augmentative or anything, but if we think that through for a second, more forward weight allows the balance point to move forward. If the rifle balances more forward, then the muzzle is actually that much closer to the balance point. So in terms of moving into and out of positions, could be just as fast with good balance.

So keeping the butt of the rifle light, and adding forend weights could easily move the center of gravity far enough forward to negate any inconvenience of manipulating the longer barrel. A cantilever scope rail moving the scope as far forward as is tolerable would also help with weight distribution.

Adding weight is helpful for most PRS events because it helps impress the bag more and decrease wobble when in firing position.

I guess what I'm saying is the barrel length is only one element of the entire package, so to suggest that a shorter barrel is categorically faster to manipulate over a longer barrel is not really taking into consideration how the entire package can be set up to get the best of both worlds.

There is one more point that might very well apply.... Ever watch a tight rope walker? He carries a long pole for stability. It is probable that more length would offer a similar effect and reduce wobble area. (However slight)

Last edited:
In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

I think your chart is terrific. I shoot Lapua Center-X (mostly) and per their web site the bc for all their .22 LR ammo is .172. Is this the value you used in your calculations for Lapua ammo? I see other references here to much lower bc's for different ammo, but I'd expect pretty much all SV .22 LR round nose to have the same bc. Thanks a bunch for your work!

@Lesloan, it looks like I used 0.114 BC for the Lapua Club per JBM. JBM has different BCs for different Lapua loads. I see 0.114 and 0.132. I listed the BC that I used for each load in the chart when I separated and added more items to make two charts in post #76 here:

I probably mentioned before that other than the CCI SV, I have not verified any of the BCs or drops. Some on here have contributed their results in this thread too. Additionally, it has been discussed that different 40 grain .22 projectiles do indeed have different BCs and that depending upon where you look on a manufacture’s site, you may even get differing information in different places. The same applies to quoted velocities. I expect that, just like centerfire, the weight alone cannot correlate to a single BC, as bullet design and coatings have an impact.

In the name of being consistent, I used the JBM ballistic engine and listings for all of the charts. Whether that is right, wrong or green, I make no claim. Just that the numbers came from the same place.

Now, if you can confirm a BC of 0.172 for the Center X through your shooting results at some distances and post it here, I’ll try to take the time to go through this whole thread again and add that load and some others to yet another chart.

@Lesloan, it looks like I used 0.114 BC for the Lapua Club per JBM. JBM has different BCs for different Lapua loads. I see 0.114 and 0.132. I listed the BC that I used for each load in the chart when I separated and added more items to make two charts in post #76 here:

I probably mentioned before that other than the CCI SV, I have not verified any of the BCs or drops. Some on here have contributed their results in this thread too. Additionally, it has been discussed that different 40 grain .22 projectiles do indeed have different BCs and that depending upon where you look on a manufacture’s site, you may even get differing information in different places. The same applies to quoted velocities. I expect that, just like centerfire, the weight alone cannot correlate to a single BC, as bullet design and coatings have an impact.

In the name of being consistent, I used the JBM ballistic engine and listings for all of the charts. Whether that is right, wrong or green, I make no claim. Just that the numbers came from the same place.

Now, if you can confirm a BC of 0.172 for the Center X through your shooting results at some distances and post it here, I’ll try to take the time to go through this whole thread again and add that load and some others to yet another chart.

I'm not doubting your numbers at all, just wondered what bc was used in your calculations. The .172 value I mentioned came straight off the Lapua web site. FWIW, your chart was pretty much on the nose for my rifle at 100 yes, with a 50-yd zero. Haven't checked it against any other distances.

Shawn

I remember reading a series of magazine articles on .22 rimfire accuracy in Precision Shooting magazine a number of years ago, one of which touched on this. As I recall, there are two possible issues with bore pressure at the muzzle with .22 rimfire projectiles:

1) the base of the heeled bullet, being of soft lead, during manufacture and the stress of firing, being pushed out of the case, is possible to have acquired minor imperfections at the circumference of the base. (sloped or otherwise deformed.) The more pressure in the bore at exit, the more any minor imperfections in the base will increase dispersion. As the bullet exits, if the base is slightly shorter on one side, for example, then there is a differential pressure on the base of the bullet that can cause a bit of wobble or 'push' immediately on exit. This gets damped out fairly quickly, but that initial push on exit can cause dispersion.

2) Depending on the bullet construction, the rifling type and size, and how the bullet engages the rifling, if there is sufficient pressure on the base of the bullet, the lead displaced by the rifling engaging the bullet can create something of a cupping effect where the lands have pushed the lead back toward the rear of the bullet. Higher pressure on exit can cause these little tails to be bent, and if one is slightly longer or shorter than the others, it can affect the yaw and wobble for the entire flight of the projectile. This is similar to what happens with pure lead hollow base wadcutters with higher pressure loads- the skirt can get deformed, increasing group size.

Now, admittedly, we are talking about VERY small imperfections here, but they are acting on a small projectile for a long distance. If your goal is getting groups in the 1/4" to 1/2" range at 100 yards these minor effects make a difference. The effects of these small imperfections are more pronounced the farther out you go. Reducing bore pressure at exit reduces both of these effects, and a longer tube will reduce exit pressure, albeit at the price of lower MV. Changing primer and propellant can also, but at the price of higher initial pressures more likely to cause base deformations. TANSTAAFL.

With regard to all who serve the Light,
Historian

Thanks -- G1 it is.. Thanks for confirming.

Using AB?

Still need to figure out what to use for the vertical offset in high wind. Were I saw it the clearest, is on the paper stages for points. I was expecting to see only LR dispersion (maybe a little ^ v, but in the high wind last match, everyone had a huge vertical spread clearly printed on the mass paper target. I don't have years of active 22LR, much less many matches on them, so I am all ears on this one.

Jump can vary depending on lots of factors, but vertical dispersion can also be caused by MV variation. Depending on distance to the target, that can be a MUCH bigger effect than jump. Yesterday, I spent an hour behind my LR .22 and the LabRadar, and among other things fired a 30 shot group; I wanted to get a better idea of what this lot of CCI Target was doing. Previous 10 round data gave an average MV of 1054 with SDs in the single digits and ES of 29.

Avg MV was 1052, but the ES was 40 fps, split perfectly on the average, with a low of 1032 and a high of 1072. Now, out to perhaps 200 yards those MV variations may not make a great difference in hit percentage, but past that it can be increasingly significant; a 15 to 20 fps difference in MV will cause a miss on 6" targets at 300. Those who do not have their own ballistic app can use the Hornady website and see for yourselves.

MV variation can also result from the way your stick handles lead buildup at the leade. If your cleaning procedure removes that buildup, you will see differences in POI and MV until equilibrium is restored, if it ever is. Some barrels do not develop that equilibrium; this is why detailed records of group size and MV are valuable.

With regard to all who seek the Light,
Historian

0.105 BC for CCI SV from the attachment on pg.2 still working well for everyone? Decent amount off from Strelok Pro (0.123)

CCI SV unfortunately isn't listed on my Kestrel Link Ballistics App. An AB Custom Curve would be stellar.
I use 0.106 on the Hornady website calculator, that has been good in my stick out to 520 yards as long as the temperature and elevation are right. Printout is a lot cheaper than buying a Kestrel......

Sample output from the Hornady web calculator.

A couple of notes-
the drift does not copy right from the output data, so I correct that manually;
Ranges only given to 25 yards, so I add an interpolation column at each distance in Mils/yd.
Kestrel is a lot more convenient and quicker, but it comes at a price.

1581945742443.png

Reactions: TP1960