Some 22 LR Trajectory Charts

TP1960

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2020
In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
This is great! Thank you so much for posting. I'm new at this, so any information is very helpful.

Reactions: lash

TP1960

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2020
Sample output from the Hornady web calculator.

A couple of notes-
the drift does not copy right from the output data, so I correct that manually;
Ranges only given to 25 yards, so I add an interpolation column at each distance in Mils/yd.
Kestrel is a lot more convenient and quicker, but it comes at a price.

View attachment 7251591
Thank you for posting this. Extremely helpful. What scope would you recommend?

lash

Swamp Rat
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Thank you for posting this. Extremely helpful. What scope would you recommend?
Well that question has been and probably should be addressed in another thread so as to not clutter up this one. However, my advice is to use a good quality scope with plenty of elevation adjustment, parallax adjustment down to 25 yards (or less), and a good tree reticle of your choice.

Reactions: TP1960

lash

Swamp Rat
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
What ballistic app do you use? What do you consider long distance with a 22 LR? Thanks
I’m not sure who you are asking this question, but if it’s me I consider 100-350 yards long distance for .22 LR. At those distances, the elevation holds are as much or greater than for a .338 LM at a mile plus. Yes, there are a number of people here that shoot out to 500 and even 600 yards with their .22s, but I consider that ELR for the rimfire.

Oh, and I’m using plain old Ballistic for iOS, though the numbers are the same if you use JBM, since Ballistic uses that engine.

TP1960

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2020
Well that question has been and probably should be addressed in another thread so as to not clutter up this one. However, my advice is to use a good quality scope with plenty of elevation adjustment, parallax adjustment down to 25 yards (or less), and a good tree reticle of your choice.
Thank you. I will check the other threads.

MLS2GO

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2019
Shooting SK Standard Plus from a CZ 457 in an Oryx Chassis and using Strelok Pro, and using .172 for BC as Lapua states, things did not match up. Close but not quite. Read on other forums, threads to use .132 BC. Everything lines up perfectly especially out to 100 yards. Very close at longer distances. I'm close to receiving my first Vudoo, will be interested to see if that BC works on that rifle and Strelok Pro as well as it did for the CZ. Great thread.

SourMash

Private
Belligerents
Aug 18, 2012
GA
Just wanted to thank the OP, I used this chart today and hit at 250 on the second shot. This was my farthest shot with a .22 and it put a big smile on my face.

meestermeetch

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. As I was driving home I wanted to ask: at what distance is it falling essentially straight down and truly maxed out its range?

chevy_man

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
Shooting SK Standard Plus from a CZ 457 in an Oryx Chassis and using Strelok Pro, and using .172 for BC as Lapua states, things did not match up. Close but not quite. Read on other forums, threads to use .132 BC. Everything lines up perfectly especially out to 100 yards. Very close at longer distances. I'm close to receiving my first Vudoo, will be interested to see if that BC works on that rifle and Strelok Pro as well as it did for the CZ. Great thread.
Strelok pro lists it at .132 if you just grab it off the ammo list.

I'm thinking a lot of variations and odd ballistic calculations are coming from the height over bore to the scope. Very small errors there will make things appear to be wildly off over long distance. Most people blame the bc (as manufacturers have lied to us) but a lot can be corrected to come back inline with slight tweaks to scope height.

Reactions: MLS2GO

Travelor

Private
Belligerents
Dec 14, 2003
Central Arkansas
"I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. "

I call this total BS.

Reactions: Seymour Fish

meestermeetch

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
Travelor I don’t disagree. I haven’t shot a .22lr past 300 so I don’t know, or have any frame of reference. Figured I would ask so see if it passed the SH sniff test, pretty clearly didn’t.

lash

Swamp Rat
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
is there a go to app for 22rf ballistics?
I’m surely not aware of a specific .22 rimfire ballistics app. However, I found all of my numbers in my basic Ballistic Standard Edition application for iOS. There were many, many more loads listed on there also. I just created the charts for simplicity of use for people attending my matches.

45ACP223

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2019
I heard at the range over the weekend that a 22lr is going as slow as it will go around 800 yards, after that it starts to pick back up in speed, because of gravity and it’s flight path moving more vertical than horizontal. As I was driving home I wanted to ask: at what distance is it falling essentially straight down and truly maxed out its range?
NRA says a 22LR Standard Velocity round can travel 1588 yards. A high power round over 2000 yards. I have no idea what angle the rifle would have to be held at to achieve those distances. On Vudoo's facebook page, a guy there was hitting targets at over 1000 yards with his V22 using a special scope riser, after figuring out his hold for windage/drop at that distance.

JCHayes

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Good information