• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some 22 LR Trajectory Charts

lash, this is some good info here. I went and shot a new .22 last weekend with SV ammo in the 1050 to 1080 range, and this data was extremely close. Very appreciated!

Anyone ever use the Norma Tac Match ammo? Is the PRIME Bolt Action ammo made by Norma for them? It is priced the same but I haven't had good luck with the Prime so don't want to spend $90 for a brick as I already have 1,000 rounds of PRIME

I was ready to order a brick but then I noticed that the price was identical to the PRIME bolt and recalled that PRIME uses some Norma components in the centerfire line.

I then compared photos and they look identical as well. The PRIME works OK in my Annie at 50 yards but at 100 yards, it is not so good. Compared to the WOLF MT Extra, it is very inconsistent.

I will skip it

We almost need a 22 ammo rating system, 1-10 or or something like that.
Words like "match" and "target" can be assigned to anything without regard for quality or standards.
This shit, for example, should be against the law.

iipsrv.fcgi

Words like "match" and "target" can be assigned to anything without regard for quality or standards.

iipsrv.fcgi
I have to agree. It does tend to be a crap shoot when it comes to what does and does not work, at least in my limited experience. I actually have a few boxes of that at home, but have not tried it. The CCI SV works a well as I need in my Savage MKII right now, so I am not messing with a good thing.

iipsrv.fcgi
So what is actually wrong with it? I haven't used it. I've used the federal auto match and it works. Didn't do accuracy tests or anything.
The crap that I say to not use is the browning performance rimfire. It scared me shooting it out of my neos. Felt like squib loads. Wouldn't shoot it out of my savage mark 2.
BPR.png

Reactions: Bd1
I just came across this thread and found the info pretty interesting. I'm using CCI MiniMags in my 10-22 with Green Mountain barrel and Lash's spreadsheet fits in pretty well with what I have found. I've only gone to 200yards and my come ups are less than the SV loads which is logical to me.

Anyway - good work Lash, thanks for posting your sheet.

iipsrv.fcgi

That’s funny... my CZ455 with a 20.5” barrel shoots that stuff great. The 922A, specifically.

There is an ammo rating system already in place.
It's the price per round.
6 cents a round or less is bulk.
7 to 10 cents a round is for 25 yard pistol targets.
11 to 15 cents per round is practice ammo for 50 yards.
16 to 20 cents per round is practice ammo for 100 yards.
21 cents to 29 cents per round
is for competition if you don't care if you win.
30 cents per round up is for local benchrest matches.
Lot tested ammunition bought in case lots of 1250 bucks plus per case is true match ammo.

It's true. You don't have to like it, but it's true.

There is an ammo rating system already in place.
It's the price per round.
6 cents a round or less is bulk.
7 to 10 cents a round is for 25 yard pistol targets.
11 to 15 cents per round is practice ammo for 50 yards.
16 to 20 cents per round is practice ammo for 100 yards.
21 cents to 29 cents per round
is for competition if you don't care if you win.
30 cents per round up is for local benchrest matches.
Lot tested ammunition bought in case lots of 1250 bucks plus per case is true match ammo.

It's true. You don't have to like it, but it's true.

$1250/ case of 5,000 rounds puts you at $0.25/round, so your math is off somewhere...

I was waiting for someone to do the math.
Lot tested is the important phrase in the price per case.
Often, CenterX at the Lapua test center
produces better results than Midas+ and XAct.
As I said, lot tested, 1250 per case, and you buy all of it.
That can be 60,000 rounds.
But that's what you do when you find "magic" ammunition. :)

Side note, retail CenterX is 22 cents per round.
But that is not lot tested, so there's no telling how it will do.
Use it when it doesn't matter if you win.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. I am new to the Rimfire Precision Rifle game and had some 50, 75 & 100 yd. data for the Wolf Match Target. The chart was dead on with my numbers testing at the range, so it just filled in the blanks for me!

I was waiting for someone to do the math.
Lot tested is the important phrase in the price per case.
Often, CenterX at the Lapua test center
produces better results than Midas+ and XAct.
As I said, lot tested, 1250 per case, and you buy all of it.
That can be 60,000 rounds.
But that's what you do when you find "magic" ammunition. :)

Side note, retail CenterX is 22 cents per round.
But that is not lot tested, so there's no telling how it will do.
Use it when it doesn't matter if you win.

JA:

Could you supply a reference on the details of lot testing.

Thanx, Rick

Reactions: rizzle
Good info guys. Posts like this make you realize how much you DON'T know... Thanks

My club is doing an NRL22 match this weekend with some targets out to 300 yards (this is in addition to NRLs published course of fire). Someone suggested using a BC of .105. I got an average velocity across 10 shots and plugged in the data. I was hitting steel consistently at 200 and the app got me within a mil at 300. Reset the app for my true scope height and the app was on. Just used the free strelok app. If you haven't tried shooting a 22lr 200-300 yards yet I highly recommend it. It was very challenging and a tremendous amount of fun!!! Can't wait to shoot the match this weekend.

We just ran a small LR .22 match on 11/25, with shots from 32-322 yards. This included my signature stage of shaving cream cans hanging on string at 200 meters. 3 shots. If you hit on 1st shot it’s 12 points, 2nd shot is 6 points and 3rd shot impact is 3 points. You only get to shoot at one can, so max points are 12 on that stage.

I’m glad that this has been worthwhile. As I may have mentioned, I could find nothing else readily available out there and figured if I was going to take the time to do it for myself, I might as well share with the community.

About 3 years ago I started a project for accumulating 22 LR data to see various speeds on various length barrels and to see how various available LR rounds performed. So, to date I've accumulated almost 550 lines of data on my spreadsheet (see pic) and I've decided to share it for the first time if anyone has any interest. To fit it on a PDF file that's manageable, I've not includes some of the details (e.g. individual shots). While I've been done with my little project for some time now, I continue to add data whenever I get hold of some LR ammo I've not ever used before.

View attachment 6893654

Well, since that April post, I've added just over 200 more lines of data (that's 2,000+ rounds) of mostly higher end match grade 22LR ammo data. Thought I'd continue to share and provide an update for any of have interest in it.

Attachments

• 22LR Compiled Data 2018 Dec.pdf
    427.2 KB · Views: 692
If you get around to it and if you feel like it, Wolf Match Extra and SK Rifle Match would be great.
Thanks for this info.

If you get around to it and if you feel like it, Wolf Match Extra and SK Rifle Match would be great.
Thanks for this info.

Some SK Rifle Match are already on that list. Will see if I can get hold of some Wolf Match Extra. My normal source for this stuff is a local store and they do carry Wolf Match Extra for $7.50 per box, but it's currently back ordered. So, I'll keep an eye out.

Reactions: JustBC
It would be great if you could test Prime Subsonic, LRN Bolt and Semi-Auto.

Thanks

Ran into a very interesting learning experience Saturday. It was 70 degrees and my come-up settings were not working at all. (We were shooting steel.) I had established them when it was in the 30 degree weather.

I had always known that temperature affected the velocity of ammo, but was not thinking of this Saturday and could not hit s**t at distances of 100 yards and greater as there was no berm behind the targets to see impacts of misses.

Went back to the range yesterday and using paper targets I found the POI's were 1-2 minutes higher, so now I have adjusted my come-up charts for cold and warm.

Even old dogs like me can learn to use past knowledge and correlate it to POI shifts.

Last edited:
In preparation for our first local long range precision .22 LR match this month, I found that many of the first time shooters had/have no idea what their dope is or should be. After looking for easy ways to provide them information, especially those that do not have ballistic apps or are new enough that JBM looks like a stock ticker, I then searched for published drop information for existing .22 LR loads. It turns out that they are surprisingly sparse if they can be found at all. So I spent some (probably way too much) time putting these five charts together for the shooters of this upcoming match. Then I thought that it might be useful for some of you here too. I know that there are at least some of you that know all this and have no need, but I'm betting that there are more that are like I was just a little while ago that have mostly no idea where to start.

So, take a look at this pdf I made of a simple chart that includes 6 common lower cost, low velocity loads sometimes used for these matches. Know that:
  • I only provided these in 10 yard increments instead of the 5 yard increments that I prefer because it's a lot of data entry typing and I'm no fan
  • Info is for CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila Match Rifle, Eley Club, Federal Match, Fiocchi Match and Lapua Club. All 40g lead round nose
  • Info is simply outputs from my ballistic application using my inputs and includes only drops data in inches, mrads and MOA. No wind holds
  • Accuracy of the charts seems to be spot on for my rifle at my location (near sea level). Your results may vary a bit, but these are a good starting point at the very least.
  • These are based on a 50 yard zero.
I may consider making some more of these charts for your consumption IF: you find them useful, I am provided with some specific load requests, I have the ability to pull the data from my ballistic app and if I feel like it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Is the Lapua Club 40gr the same as the Lapua Center X 40gr?

Reactions: ZG47A
I do not know, having no experience with the center-x. However, Lapua’s website lists the G1 BC as 0.172 and the Club works at 0.114. Honestly, 0.172 seems pretty darn high when compared to pretty much every other .22 LR bullet out there.

I had good luck with Eley force in my factory Sako Quad varmint, here is target 25yrds - 100yrds. My drop was allot less at 100 than I would expect ???

so true, especially with so many of us getting into long range .22lr

Ran into a very interesting learning experience Saturday. It was 70 degrees and my come-up settings were not working at all. (We were shooting steel.) I had established them when it was in the 30 degree weather.

I had always known that temperature affected the velocity of ammo, but was not thinking of this Saturday and could not hit s**t at distances of 100 yards and greater as there was no berm behind the targets to see impacts of misses.

Went back to the range yesterday and using paper targets I found the POI's were 1-2 minutes higher, so now I have adjusted my come-up charts for cold and warm.

Even old dogs like me can learn to use past knowledge and correlate it to POI shifts.

There is that and I've seen a good FPS increase from my fouled barrel to follow on shots. Looking to get out this weekend with some ammo and a 40X and CZ455 and work up how air, gun and ammo temp affect 150+ come-ups.

I had good luck with Eley force in my factory Sako Quad varmint, here is target 25yrds - 100yrds. My drop was allot less at 100 than I would expect ???

the way i read mine, i need to hold over 47" at 200yrds ???????

Yes, my Meopta is MOA and not really the proper scope for dialing. If I really get into this .22 long range stuf, I will either stick this Sako Quad Varmint in a Manners stock, or order a Vudoo in a Gumball, either will have a dedicated .22 LR scope. I've always owned and used MOA, second FP.

This being said.....What is the best choice for rimfire long range, 25 yards to 300 yards ? Without breaking the bank? Athalon seems to be getting lots of pub, The Nightforce SHV focuses down to 25 yards I believe?

Your MOA scopes are fine for the task, especially if that’s what you are used to. As to you second question, it probably belongs in one of the .22 scope threads more than this one, as it is a lengthy discussion that will never 100% answer you and people will rarely agree. Plus it is not really about the ballistics of various .22LR choices.

Having said that, it is my opinion that the Athlon scopes are plenty adequate for .22 long range.

vgUd8a7.jpg

This is Eley Contact 42grain .140BC. This is based on a average velocity of 1073 that I got over 50 Shots out of a 16in CZ455.
Temp was 83 and 60% humidity.
1180 elevation

Reactions: hdbull
@JMcQ

Thanks for posting that! Were you able to confirm these results at distance?
Wondering.. how did you come up with that BC? I used the .174 BC found in the StrelokPro library and it was good for me out to 300+ yards on 8” steel. My barrel is 16.5” with a velocity of 1071 fps.

Last edited:
I got the .140 BC from using the myeley site with the lot number of the ammo I was using . I plugged that into the Hornady app using the general calculator function.
Honesty it isn’t that accurate . The rounds I shot at 100 yards we more like 1.6mil and I haven’t been able to shoot further.
In all fairness I need to verify the range. I used a lower end Nikon laser.

Reactions: pazzo
I used .132 bc for SK Standard Plus, Shooter app. My results are similar to yours. Real world data is off by a good bit.

100 yards 1.9 mils
200 yards 6.3 mils

Not sure how to adjust, tried muzzle velocity and it was a nogo.

I used .132 bc for SK Standard Plus, Shooter app. My results are similar to yours. Real world data is off by a good bit.

100 yards 1.9 mils
200 yards 6.3 mils

Not sure how to adjust, tried muzzle velocity and it was a nogo.

I picked up a few thousand rounds of SK Standard Plus (4 500rnd boxes). So far 120 rounds through the Tikka T1x 20" bolt.

I'm getting
100 yards 2.5 mils
200 yards 8.3 mils

Using JBM, with 0.132 @ 1030fps, it's pretty spot on with that trajectory. I was trying to use 0.172 from SK's web page for their rounds.

But 0.172 does not give me any trajectory chart that matches my results.

Shooting yesterday I knew I had good data out to 300+ yards, hitting a 4 inch plate at 200 no issues, move to 300 and a 12inch plate, missed low below the plate. Checked a few rounds and it’s always low, ranged the plate and it’s at 320 not 300 like labeled. Got back on track and all good at 320, then 5 of 6 on and 18 inch plate at 480 so was happy.

Got me thinking about the range and velocity sensitivity of .22 so I worked up this chart for drop, error given +/- 5 yards in range and error given 1 standard deviation in velocity. To me this gives the minimum sized targets I’d go after at each range as about 2x the error in velocity, maybe 1.5x the error in range. Anything less is bringing a lot of luck into it unless you range it perfectly from the barrel, not even standing behind the line.

Out to 200 yards range is the big sensitivity, then velocity started having an impact until about 500 when they contribute about the same.

I know there’s a mistake at 175 yards in the table.

Attachments

• 725B0981-4D15-498D-9507-27553D11B48A.png
    725B0981-4D15-498D-9507-27553D11B48A.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
We see quite wide spread of dope that is suposedly working for people ,i reckon many cheating scopes out there . Till you test your scope tracking you do not have good data. We tested 6 scopes on 3 rifles before doing the dopes and all 6 were off ,the best one was at 4% the worst one was at 12% ,changed Athlons for Vortex they still cheat but at cca 4% ,also tested Delta Stryker HD and got cca 6% error
As for BC+s 0.175 lapua gives is definetly to high at distance, i tend to use JBM's number but will go for AB custom curves once i get them updated to my kestrel .

I never did any updates but I plan to work on making my dope on the Contact ammo more accurate.
My rangefinder is a bit older and doesn’t account for slope. I will either update to a newer one or calculate manually. I am working on new targets that I can adjust height on.
I live in the foothills and nothing is flat.

iipsrv.fcgi

I shoot that shit all the time. Works pretty good for me.

Attachments

• Tikka#2 Fed GM Match Lot 548 Sparrow 5-27-19.jpg
    Tikka#2 Fed GM Match Lot 548 Sparrow 5-27-19.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 1710 XLR Fed GM Match 6-7-19.jpg
    1710 XLR Fed GM Match 6-7-19.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 1710XLR Fed GM Match 4-12-19.jpg
    1710XLR Fed GM Match 4-12-19.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 1813 FED GM Match 1-24-2019.jpg
    1813 FED GM Match 1-24-2019.jpg