• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some of you suggested looking at .300BO vs 5.56

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    So I started looking at a .300 BO and told its dying and not worry of investment. But from available ammo and new weapons, I don’t see this as a dying cartridge.

Agree or disagree?

If you disagree, what’s a good alternative for personal defense weapon.

Reactions: 338dude
    Who told you it was dying? It's extremely popular and everyone I know has at least 1 300BO...don't believe everything you hear, do your own research.

300bo is an awesome close range self defense and range fun gun. I shoot supers only but know a lot of people that love shooting 300bo subs as well. You can make 300bo brass out of regular old LC 5.56... what exactly is dying? Lolol

I don't see it as dying either. With my water bucket testing I've found using 30 calibre bullets not designed for it in a defensive setting is not the best idea because it won't carry the velocity needed for the bullets to expand. It's a niche cartridge that within a 100 yd and the proper bullet would be pretty effective if you don't like the AK

I don't see it as dying either. With my water bucket testing I've found using 30 calibre bullets not designed for it in a defensive setting is not the best idea because it won't carry the velocity needed for the bullets to expand. It's a niche cartridge that within a 100 yd and the proper bullet would be pretty effective if you don't like the AK

I run 125 TMK handloads at 2150 out of my 10.5" Ultramatch (same bullet Black Hills runs in their 300bo defensive ammo) and it expands like an HST. I've tested in water bucket and wet phone books covered with denim. Love the expansion. This load also has zero issues hitting steel out to 500yd. Super accurate as well. Its all in the barrel. First 2 barrels I tested shot like shit.

I dont shoot subs, im not into 45acp stopping power out of a rifle...

The 125 SMK are very accurate as well.but don't expand for shit. In my expansion tests the bullet just bent like a banana. That's it. I use them to shoot steel with my 300bo.

I have also easily made shots out to 350 yd with subsonic and supersonic rounds. Love Faxon barrels. Effectiveness of bullet expansion is the only question not answered at longer distances for me.

I think that the people who claim that 300 BLK is dying are those who try to use it for something other than its intended purpose.

Subs were never intended for anything other than more-or-less MP5 replacement... and those limitations are going to occur with ANY subsonic round. With supers, it's not quite a 7.62 x 39 replacement, but it's no slouch, either.

Either way, the important thing is to match the projectile to the application.

I dont shoot subs, im not into 45acp stopping power out of a rifle...

I never understood this either. Perhaps there was a military application for very short range and quiet type sentry kills? The external ballistics never made sense to me.

Reactions: Animal357 and TXAZ
    I have also easily made shots out to 350 yd with subsonic and supersonic rounds. Love Faxon barrels. Effectiveness of bullet expansion is the only question not answered at longer distances for me.

300Blk isnt a long range cartridge...If you want long range expansion, grab something purpose built for that....

I think that the people who claim that 300 BLK is dying are those who try to use it for something other than its intended purpose.

Subs were never intended for anything other than more-or-less MP5 replacement... and those limitations are going to occur with ANY subsonic round. With supers, it's not quite a 7.62 x 39 replacement, but it's no slouch, either.

Either way, the important thing is to match the projectile to the application.

Couldnt agree more. This is why I shoot my AR9 PCC with 165gr subs..... WAY cheaper to make that ammo than 220gr 300blk subs with the same end result on steel. And those 165gr 9mm subs hit steel like a sledge hammer. Love them

Reactions: Near miss and TXAZ
    I thought 300blk subs would be great for self defense until I looked at the numbers... same performance as 45ACP. No thanks.

I do use them for backyard fun shooting plates, suppressed, without ears.

Last edited:
    Reactions: binazone and TXAZ
    300 BO is a great round. That being said, I think if you are not into it already, now is not the time to get into it. Ammo is hard to find and has been for almost a year.

Subs (handload, not factory) out of a bolt gun are silly quiet
    Subs (factory) out an AR are fun (though as others have said, kind of pricey)
    Supers are fun for plinking out to 500yds and beyond.

It will also eat about any .30 bullet you can find.

Reactions: TXAZ
    300BO isnt going anywhere, and now that Wolf is making cheaper ammo for it, I thing it will become even more popular. Its biggest issue to date has been that it is more expensive than 5.56.

I thought 300blk subs would be great for self defense until I looked at the numbers... same performance as 45ACP. No thanks.

You just contradicted your own statement. While you may not prefer .45 ACP, that doesn't mean it isn't a good round for defense. In fact, regardless of the theoretical data comparisons between .45 ACP and your favorite handgun cartridge, 110 years of use, in hostile environments, by civilian and military personnel, indicate that it is a very effective close range round. Are there other rounds that are just as good? Of course, especially with modern bullet technology. In reality, all pistol rounds are inferior in a gun fight. A rifle is preferred, but not always available.

I keep a suppressed 300BLK, loaded with expanding subs, by the bed for home defense, because I can effectively clear my house and not have to worry as much about hearing damage, if I have to fire a round inside. In the unlikely event that circumstances dictate a need for a rifle round, a mag change is all that's required. I challenge anyone that breaks into my house to tell the difference between a center mass hit from a 300BLK and a .223/5.56. Dead is dead. If your preference is 5.56, or 45-70 for that matter, use that. But let's not act like the choices others make are invalid.

You just contradicted your own statement. While you may not prefer .45 ACP, that doesn't mean it isn't a good round for defense. In fact, regardless of the theoretical data comparisons between .45 ACP and your favorite handgun cartridge, 110 years of use, in hostile environments, by civilian and military personnel, indicate that it is a very effective close range round. Are there other rounds that are just as good? Of course, especially with modern bullet technology. In reality, all pistol rounds are inferior in a gun fight. A rifle is preferred, but not always available.

I keep a suppressed 300BLK, loaded with expanding subs, by the bed for home defense, because I can effectively clear my house and not have to worry as much about hearing damage, if I have to fire a round inside. In the unlikely event that circumstances dictate a need for a rifle round, a mag change is all that's required. I challenge anyone that breaks into my house to tell the difference between a center mass hit from a 300BLK and a .223/5.56. Dead is dead. If your preference is 5.56, or 45-70 for that matter, use that. But let's not act like the choices others make are invalid.

If I want 45 I will use a handgun. If I carry a rifle, I want rifle performance

Reactions: TheOE800 and TXAZ
    So I started looking at a .300 BO and told its dying and not worry of investment. But from available ammo and new weapons, I don’t see this as a dying cartridge.

Agree or disagree?

If you disagree, what’s a good alternative for personal defense weapon.

Take a look at Wilson Combat's 300 HAM'R also for a PDW or hunting caliber. It's not designed for subsonics though.

I also don't see the 300BK going anywhere. It does fill a niche.

Pretty easy to reform 5.56 cases, and .30 cal bullets abound.

I also prefer supersonic loads from mine... subsonic's have their place, but I certainly would prefer a GTG supersonic load for mine.

I keep a suppressed 300BLK, loaded with expanding subs, by the bed for home defense, because I can effectively clear my house and not have to worry as much about hearing damage, if I have to fire a round inside. In the unlikely.
    But let's not act like the choices others make are invalid.
    I agree that your choice to use good subsonic ammo is a valid choice. But in fairness, and to help educate those coming with questions it is also fair to point out what you get is in reality a SBR or rifle sized pistol with a very big magazine.
    Hunters have well documented the overall poorer terminal performance of subsonic vs supersonic rounds. Supersonic can defeat soft body armor and subsonic can not. Maybe your scenario may not think this important, but someone, say a jeweler, may face different threats. If you need more range than your living room the dramatic drop of subsonic ammo is a big challenge, and to those who plan on switching to supersonic when needed, the issues of having 2 dramatically different zeros plus different drops for each is complex.

Your hearing is not going to be in danger more from supersonic ammo if shooting suppressed. Your choices are valid, I keep a 300BO for home defense, with a 100 yard zero on a 1-6x scope. My go to rounds are 110gr V-max, but I do have a mag of subs handy also, why? Not really sure, but maybe some remote possibly where I hope to take out some threat without alerting other Bad guys to my location?

Anyway, not disagreeing with your choice, but it is a choice so it is fair to discuss reasons behind making our own.

While you may not prefer .45 ACP, that doesn't mean it isn't a good round for defense.
    That's where you are wrong. A handgun caliber, typically 9mm to 45acp, is always a terrible choice for defense. Rifle calibers offers far better terminal ballistics. The only reason to carry a handgun is if you can't carry a rifle.

If you want a short barrel or suppressed, I'd run 300BO over 556. I like it for my SBRs.

I don't think it's dead, but it's also not an end all be all cartridge.

If I want a SBR/CQB then 300BO is my choice. Anything beyond that, where I want to reach out an touch someone, then I'd want a 16+ inch rifle in 556. And that's where I think it makes sense to have both.

If you don't want to have both, or can't have both. Then I'd probably ditch the SBRs in 300 and just have 16+ inch rifles in 556.

And then run PCCs or handguns in common calibers

Last edited:
    Reactions: mewillis and TXAZ

All handgun calibers suck when it comes to effectiveness

That's why most people need to be shot more than once with them.

OP, I think the 300BO is not going away is clear so can I focus on the 300BO vs 5.56 part.

It depends on what is most important to you, but here are some questions:

Do you want a pistol brace, SBR or rifle?
    Do you plan on a suppressor?
    What minimum range / magnification do you need?
    What maximum range / magnification do you need?
    Do you need a thick reticle for fast shooting up close?
    Do you need a fine reticle for target work.
    Would you rather have the ability to do many things OK, or one extreme well?

I have over a dozen AR in many calibers because after having a general purpose AR I wanted ones that were great for specific things.

The stocks, calibers, triggers, barrel lengths, optics, etc. etc. Change dramatically with purpose.

My reason for .300 BO was specifically to have a short barrel for sub sonic use. 100yd max and it is stupid quiet to my pleasant surprise.
    All of my rifles have targeted use applications. Why use a .300 super round in a 16" barrel when you could use a .308?? just saying.

My reason for .300 BO was specifically to have a short barrel for sub sonic use. 100yd max and it is stupid quiet to my pleasant surprise.
    All of my rifles have targeted use applications. Why use a .300 super round in a 16" barrel when you could use a .308?? just saying.

Who said anything about 16" 300blk? Your talking about a short barreled 300blk with subs and then comparing it to a 16"...

Why use expensive subsonic 300blk ammo in a rifle when you can just carry a 1911 45 and have the exact same energy???? Just sayin...

My purpose for 300blk was to have a soft shooting, sbr with rifle energy and head shot accuracy inside 100yd... I get that with 125 TMK supers... oh yeah, and those 125 TMK supers are WAY quieter with my Rugged Surge 7.62 vs my 10.5" 5.56 with a can... just sayin...

300blk is a favorite of mine but in my opinion best for a reloader (purely based on cost of factory). I enjoy it as a pistol/sbr, 16” gas gun and 16” bolt gun. Prefer supers mostly but subs are fun too.

Reactions: binazone
    300blk is a favorite of mine but in my opinion best for a reloader (purely based on cost of factory). I enjoy it as a pistol/sbr, 16” gas gun and 16” bolt gun. Prefer supers mostly but subs are fun too.
    Almost always suppressed.

Reactions: binazone

Im not trying to start something, I'm being completely honest here. Are you worried about waking the wife or kids so you want pew pew whisper quite loads so thsts why your 300bo is setup with subs for home defense? Or it's setup that way as a fun range gun on steel from 100yd and in?

It is well documented that pistol calibers, all of them, have poor stopping power. That's why shot placement is key.

If grabbing a rifle, I dont want to worry about lack of penetration in soft armor. Just read the home invasion and robbery reports the past 2 years. More and more are wearing body armor. Multiple in my AO in the last 24 months. I want rifle knock down power in a rifle or its useless to me.

The 1911 on my nightstand is ONLY to give me enough time to get to my sbr another 8' away

Last edited:
    Let me and my limited experience add the following.
    1. I have not seen the ability to hit small targets at 200-300 m that the 300 blk has quite produced by a PCC. They are different animals IMHO. You scope the 300 blk properly in a carbine, and it is impressive in its silent ability to hit things at distance. (Carbine length IMHO is more desirable for this role due to ergonomics and shootability. 8" barrels make aiming steady at distance problematic.) Also, have you not seen the new 200 grain + subs that open up to well over 1.5"? That is going to leave a mark. Much more than my beloved 1911 45 acp even with 230 HST's! On other rounds sectional density would dictate more penetration or barrier blind capabilities with an FMJ if so desired. I think you have more better options here. The existence of the Honey Badger over a MP style 45 acp sub gun would seem to be evidence of this.
    2. I have been told by reliable sources that rifles in 308 Win. have been employed, tweaked with special loads, by people who would have loved to have the precision capabilities with a high capacity magazine that a 300 blk can provide. Maybe they used a little trail boss and a RN 180 or added back the original match bullet, but accuracy was always leaving much to be desired out of 10 twist long barrels not meant for that task. That this capability is now exceeded in an accurate AR style carbine with a 20 round mag and no more sound than the bolt working is amazing. The 300 blackout seems to be a winner over a tweaked 308 Winchester all day in this aspect.
    3. If the silent game goes poorly when the zombies attack you, slap in a 30rd mag of supers and you are in better company to defend yourself inside of 250m than a bolt gun. No PCC compares to 120 or 110grain Barnes bullets or GMX's going 2400 fps. People have successfully taken Elk and black bear at normal hunting distances with these things outside of headshots agree with it or not. Not something I'd attempt with any LE style pistol bullet.
    4. Fun. The 300 is just fun to shoot, and it shares lots of commonality to allow 5.56 guns of all sorts to be easily converted to its use with an extra upper or barrel.

Lets be realistic about how tactical supersonic vs subsonic is. A 110gr V-max has an absolute drop of 3.4" at 100 yards. From the same SBR a Hornady Sub-X drops16.4".
    So for starters the 100yd zero is different by 13".
    The 110gr is .5" high at 50yds and 1.5" low at 150yds.
    The 190gr is 2.8" high at 50yds and 11.6" low at 150yds.

I personally dont want to need a rangefinder and dope card to shoot past 100 yards.

Police used submachine guns back when they thought rifle rounds over penetrated, no swat team is using pistols, SMG or pistol caliber carbines as anything but backups anymore.

A 300 blackout is a better SBR caliber than 5.56, but only if supersonic. Subsonic is very fun, and has some applications in hunting, but not when you are what is being hunted.

I don’t see 300 BO as dying. I have one in a SBR. It’s fun to shoot subs out of for the “fun” factor. But after shooting steel out to 150-200 yards I realized how useless the round is at that range. Sounded like a rock thrown at my steel target, the target barely swung at all and the bullet speed vs sound of the bullet hitting steel had the delay of a 308 hit at 800 yards. I was very unimpressed and completely ruled it out for subsonic for any defense situation outside of pistol caliber ranges. 556 subsonic would be even worse

Now supersonic the 300 BO outperforms the 556. However with the added cost of the 300 BO usually means less trigger time. Pre pandemic prices of course. The 556 also has the advantage if your involved in any LEO roles as your able to share mags/ammo in training or other real world scenarios where someone’s out of ammo.

Just some things I’ve considered with both my 300 BO and 556 in SBR. I’ve never tested a 300 BO vs 556 on body armor to see if the 556 velocity helps penetrate better. I’m assuming it would with proper ammo. Which may be a consideration as well

I run both suppressed. If I wanted a defense weapon that I intended to keep in my house and use close range then a suppressed pistol caliber like a 45 would be my preference if I want semi quiet and still effective. I however prefer a 12 gauge. Keeping over penetration of walls and what not as a consideration as well when deciding

The 300 BO is more efficient if you intend to run from a shorter barrel. Mine is 8” on the BO and 10.5 on 556. I would not go shorter that 10.5” for the 556

So IMO if you want shortest configuration then 300 BO with 8” barrel and supersonic ammo. Otherwise my preference still goes to the 556 in a 16” barrel to maintain decent velocity. My 556 shoots 55 Fiocchi at 2450 FPS. My 18” does same ammo at 2900 FPS just for reference

I thought id jump in since I cant sleep...

Its tough to take most of these arguments seriously since 99.999999999% of this board wouldn't use any of the calibers listed for anything beyond shooting paper or steel. Everyone wants to plan for that day when their house gets broken into, when they "may" have to take that 600 yard self defense kill shot, or when the CIA randomly calls you and requests you assist them in battle to assassinate Russian spies in your neighborhood because you were highly recommended on Snipers Hide, but lets be serious for a minute... 300 blackout has as much purpose for most of us as 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or any other niche round that repurposes an AR15 to do something else. I used to think 6.8 SPC was awesome because of how much more energy it could deliver than 5.56 with minimal changes to the rifle, then one day I realized the steel and paper really couldn't tell the difference, and it was only my pocketbook that suffered. Ive been in and out of 300 blackout multiple times, hand loaded for it, run it suppressed, shot it full auto, and even have to fend off coworkers who insist we should switch to it on duty (it wont ever happen by the way). Its a neat round, its really fun for a mag or two running subs suppressed (pending you get good ammo that cycles and set your rifle up properly), and if thats what you enjoy doing with your hard earned cash, then I dont see an issue. Same goes for supersonic rounds, if it works for your intended purpose, then do it and enjoy it.

As far as those calling anything subsonic or handgun caliber a waste, im not sure how many shootings you've been in, how many dead bodies from shootings you've seen, or if you've been in a house after a shooting where rifles were involved, but if you plan on using an AR15 indoors in a neighborhood, apartment, etc, I hope you have a good insurance policy and attorney because every round you fired leaves your barrel with a lawyer and possible jail time attached. Im also not sure what statistics you read where everyone hit by a rifle dies, and somehow those hit by a pistol live. Statistically 97% of shooting deaths are from a handgun, and most are common calibers... shot placement is key, not caliber or weapon used. If youre routinely getting into gunfights with people wearing body armor, or they are somehow able to survive multiple handgun rounds to the chest without letting up on their assault towards you, maybe you should reexamine your lifestyle.

Lastly, I always question those who say a round designed for short barrels such as the 300 blackout is stupid, yet they often run a round designed for a 14.5 to 16 inch barrel out of a 8-10 inch barrel and think its somehow the end all of ballistic capability. I understand if you have a need to penetrate soft armor, but in all reality, its easier and cheaper to obtain AR500 armor than it is soft armor, so why would any bad guys come in with a concealable soft armor vest when they can drop $150-200 and have plates that even your rifle ammo wont defeat, especially with a significantly reduced velocity in your AR pistol? With all the tacticool toys, rifles, shotguns, etc I have, I still sleep with a Glock next to my bed... Caliber really isnt important when compared to training, shot placement, and practicing failure drills in case that boogeyman comes in with body armor on. Some of you in here may have houses large enough where you might take a shot longer than 25 yards, so maybe a pistol caliber carbine is better suited, but if you've ever actually cleared a house (and know what youre doing), its much easier to do with a pistol than a rifle. If you have consistent threats against your house by bad guys with body armor and rifles, maybe sell some of your guns and move to a better neighborhood.

Thats my rant for the evening.

Oh, and if you've never shot a Daniel Defense ISR, or suppressed 300 BO PDW in full auto with subs, its FUCKING EPIC... as long as someone else is paying for the ammo :)

A 300 blackout is a better SBR caliber than 5.56, but only if supersonic. Subsonic is very fun, and has some applications in hunting, but not when you are what is being hunted.
    The great thing about 300blk is you don't have to choose between subs or supers, or between 45acp and 7.62x39 performance, you can have all the above in a single package with just a magazine change.

Fenix Mike, thanks for reminding me to keep it real. For the last 25 years I've been a Civilian, before that I was Military / LE and that gung ho lingers.

I do this for fun- I have more and better arms than many SRT in small towns. And... I realistically will never use any of it.

Well maybe Mars will attack, one can dream.

Who said anything about 16" 300blk? Your talking about a short barreled 300blk with subs and then comparing it to a 16"... just sayin...
    Because many people talk about carbine length barrels with the 300BO for hunting and out to 200yds etc., I was trying to say that isn't my use of the platform. While I did just order some 125gr Sierra game kings I probably will just put them away. And while you mention .45 ballistics are the same as .300 subs I don't know anybody shooting .45 accurately at 50+ yards let alone from a 8-10" barrel .........

And while you mention .45 ballistics are the same as .300 subs I don't know anybody shooting .45 accurately at 50+ yards let alone from a 8-10" barrel .........

I dont care if its a 1911 45 and 2" groups or youre shooting 0.5" groups to 100yd from an 8" barrel with subs, you still have less than 500ft lb energy on target vs more than double that with supers.... Fun, quite range use, it sure is. Practical or self defense purpose, yea no. But you do you.

I dont care if its a 1911 45 and 2" groups or youre shooting 0.5" groups to 100yd from an 8" barrel with subs, you still have less than 500ft lb energy on target vs more than double that with supers.... Fun, quite range use, it sure is. Practical or self defense purpose, yea no. But you do you.
    How many ft lbs of energy do you need to stop a threat?

All depends..... See the video last week of the officer that needed 12 pistols rounds to stop that guy? He did not have any armor on... Meth makes stopping scum bags even harder from numerous reports... If they are wearing soft armor like we have seen more and more the past 2 years .... no pistol round will stop that.... so you decide.

Pistol rounds suck when it comes to stopping power, thats been proven over and over. They dont compete with rifle stopping power. This is the basis of my posts in this thread. Why carry a rifle to only have pistol energy?

Last edited:
    Depends, do you want to stop it before or after those you love start to bleed out.
    I dont think anyone is saying if all you got is a 45ACP then give up. But if just changing the ammo dramatically increases terminal performance, ballistic performance and turn some of the enemies cover into concealment, why wouldnt you?
    To me it's like saying I got a 45 for defense, but I'll use the 22lr conversion because it makes less noise.

Reactions: Yondering
    Here's a good article for you guys that keep thinking pistol caliber and pistol energy are good for stopping threats.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Depends, do you want to stop it before or after those you love start to bleed out.
    I dont think anyone is saying if all you got is a 45ACP then give up. But if just changing the ammo dramatically increases terminal performance, ballistic performance and turn some of the enemies cover into concealment, why wouldnt you?
    To me it's like saying I got a 45 for defense, but I'll use the 22lr conversion because it makes less noise.

Exactly.

All depends..... See the video last week of the officer that needed 12 pistols rounds to stop that guy? He did not have any armor on... Meth makes stopping scum bags even harder from numerous reports... If they are wearing soft armor like we have seen more and more the past 2 years .... no pistol round will stop that.... so you decide.

Pistol rounds suck when it comes to stopping power, thats been proven over and over. They dont compete with rifle stopping power. This is the basis of my posts in this thread. Why carry a rifle to only have pistol energy?
    So you’re also aware of how many die per year (including officers) from 22 lr, right?

So you’re also aware of how many die per year (including officers) from 22 lr, right?

You're making a really stupid argument. A 22lr put in the right place will kill you dead as any other. That's not the point. Do you carry a 22lr or defend your home with a 22lr? I mean this is just getting stupid now. Fan boys will argue something to the death.

Yes, and as it turns out I make my living doing statistical analysis, bussiness intelligence, forecasting, etc.
    22lr is by far more common than weapons say 338 lapua. So statistical that states 22lr is by far more common than weapons say 338 lapua.
    It does not say that it is far more leathal.
    Handguns kill more than rifles, badguys carry them because they are concealable.
    One advantage a home owner has during an invasion is weapon choice.