• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Someone help me with this PITA neighbor!

Re: Someone help me with this PITA neighbor!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peloton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just be careful that you don't do anything that could result in a complaint against you at work. I'm also a Washington State LE and have seen several cases on our Dept where guys have gotten sustained complaints because of neighbor disputes. Never invoke your position/employment in conversations with her. Never forget that she already knows who you work for. Friendly advice.

...other than that, lots of good advice above. Eventually the fire dept will start warning her or ask for false reporting charges. They may even put her on the no-response list. I'd be "nice" to her but continue to live my life as I see fit (within the law obviously). It'll eat at her soul.
</div></div>

Agree.

I have dealt with this myself and im going to pile on the high road bandwagon. My parents and Grandmother own about 75 acres and we had a neighbor and his family who routinely trespassed, hunted, set up deer feeders, etc on out property. So this led my grandmother to build a fence around it, as its mostly hers, and this gave this middle age man the right to cuss my grandmother to tears. I know it could be worse but who does that, especially around here. Ever heard of Southern hospitality? This was all roughly 10-15 years ago and we just turned the other cheek and moved on.

Now the interesting part! A few years later, this neighbor came down with a form of mad cow disease and died. I mean seriously, who dies from mad cow disease. Karma?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There have been some really good suggestions here... some funny ones too.

I know this is random, but what about buying her out? maybe there's more a need for money than the need for the land? gets rid of her, and then you have more room, and can sell/rent/lease down the line instead. </div></div>

I've seriously considered it. I haven't met her sister who owns the property so I don't know how welcome the offer would be but it's worth a try.

And to the other comment about calling the FD, That's what we've started doing, I just call dispatch and give them a heads up so they don't send anyone.

Just talked to one of the deputies here tonight because her dog won't shut the hell up. Now he has a good idea of what's going on so hopefully that will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since your LE, respectively tell her to FUCK OFF! Then get the County after her, Health n Human services would be a good start, SPCA is another, and finally tell her to never set foot on your property for any reason, and get a restraining order against her. </div></div>

This. You're a LE and should know the "system" so make it work for you. It takes time and effort, but it should work. My personal experience:

My inlaws had a rental property and got tied into a gov/sec 8 program (a mistake on their part IMHO) and got a tenant from hell that literally destroyed the property. And because of the gov assistance, they could not be removed. And despite all the lawyers and BS, it was a simple call concerning the unsanitary conditions and the children's welfare that got these parasites out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you wish that you were able to interview your neighbors before you move in? </div></div>

I did. I called them and visited them before I made the purchase final.

Bad neighbors can make an otherwise nice place into a hell.

I have not read this whole thread. I hope this has already come up.

JayCee Dugard was held captive for eighteen years in structures such as you describe your neighbor having.
Has anyone ran her NCIC, or checked the address for sexual offenses?
Has anyone been inside any of these structures to verify what is in them?

Odds are very small that you need to worry about this, but nowadays it needs to be considered.
Organic farming would be a great cover for all kinds of illegal stuff, yet alone sex slaves etc..
I would laugh my butt off if a search warrant was served on her property!!
Let us know what you end up doing with this.

I am a LEO in Memphis, tn and while I can't use my NCIC search tools for personal use all arrest record and warrants are public record. We actually have a public web site here that you can check to see if people have warrants and arrest history on. It gets me the same basic info my LE access to NCIC just can't pull the actual investigative stuff. You may see if you have anything in your area to access stuff through a public means.

Bigger fence. As Robert Frost said, fences make good neighbors. And yes, I know I'm likely to get banned for a day for quoting Robert Frost here, but he speaks the truth.

She sounds like she has done this song and dance before. The previous owner probably fought with her just like you want to. If she has other people living off her land and she's renting/leasing it, then the landlord might want to know that.

I like the motion camera ideas. There are a lot that you can view from anywhere through streaming video. Aim some directly at her place and some on yours.

Friending the FD is a GREAT idea! Hot dogs, cokes, iced tea, etc...

I'm pretty sure she moved in after they listed this house for sale. That's what I was told by the other neighbors down the road. I had planned on installing a camera system anyway, I'll just have to find a good way to stick a PTZ cam way up on top of a pole somewhere.

Code enforcement and lots of cameras to record everything she does. It is illegal in most places for people to live in unimproved places because of sewage and so on. If she has other people staying in the tents, there could be "issues". I would get really familiar with all the code enforcement things that she may be violating.

I would also request a "no contact" order from the court. Between the no contact order, and her jumping around dealing with all the code enforcement issues, she may back off. Filing false reports about your burns is also something noteworthy. If she realizes that SHE is the one bringing the county down on herself because of all the attention she wants, then maybe she will back off.

I would agree with the posting about your need to be careful about her suing you over problems with her livelihood. Although she would need to prove it, and pay an attorney to bring the suit, you would also have to pay to defend the suit.

I would find out as much as I could about her first. Maybe someone you know could do some really decent background investigating and get you something to shut her up. Knowledge is power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't serve any purpose to get into a pissing match with her or starting a round of back and forth complaints. It only escalates events like this to where it's out of control. You've done nothing wrong and I'd leave it at that. Do what the previous poster said and smile -- kill them with kindness. It's so much harder for people to feel like they got one over on you when you smile at them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

This is the best advice that could be given, and I'll try to explain why.

For lack of a better term, I am in "law enforcement," but I am not a police officer. Much of my time there has been spent interviewing people in your situation--they have scummy neighbors (or they themselves are the scummy neighbor) and they get into little spats like this.

The problem with these neighbor disputes is that they never really can have a good ending if you encourage them. I'm not saying not to shoot on your property or go about your business. What I am saying is don't do anything that'd unnecessarily antagonize her. All of the suggestions here about code enforcement, police calls, etc., can also be turned against you. Once all of those authorities realize that it's a neighbor dispute, they will ignore your calls--perhaps even the legitimate ones--and it will not be a happy ending.

I have met all sorts of people involved in these sorts of disputes. Often, the neighbors hate each other, so they put up fences, no trespassing signs, surveillance cameras, etc., and start documenting everything their neighbor does. Sometimes, one neighbor (whether the good one or the scummy one) files a lawsuit and then it gets real expensive. At least one of the people I've dealt with got mired down in 3 years of litigation because his neighbor didn't like his fence or surveillance cameras. The judge ordered for the fence to be removed. Two appeals later, the fence had to be removed, despite the fact that there really was no legitimate reason other than his neighbor didn't like the fence. I don't even want to think about what all that must have cost, but I suspect that the court costs, lawyer's fees, etc., exceeded the cost of the fence (which was almost a 1/4 mile long along their property line).

The short version is that these can never end well if you keep fighting. Often, they want criminal charges against the neighbor and that's why they keep documenting and video taping. I have never seen criminal charges result, even in cases where the law would allow for it. It just doesn't happen. The courts don't have time for criminal neighbor disputes.

Do yourself a favor and minimize the arguing, or move. Trust me, I could go on and on and on about why this is the best solution, but it's better for you to just take my word for it. Escalating the situation will only make it worse for you. Bad neighbors will never become good neighbors, but they can become even worse bad neighbors.

whatever you do just be careful. I've seen too many good cops go down for dumb stuff brought on by people like this. I know how the hippies up here are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't serve any purpose to get into a pissing match with her or starting a round of back and forth complaints. It only escalates events like this to where it's out of control. You've done nothing wrong and I'd leave it at that. Do what the previous poster said and smile -- kill them with kindness. It's so much harder for people to feel like they got one over on you when you smile at them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

For lack of a better term, I am in "law enforcement," but I am not a police officer. Much of my time there has been spent interviewing people in your situation--they have scummy neighbors (or they themselves are the scummy neighbor) and they get into little spats like this.

The problem with these neighbor disputes is that they never really can have a good ending if you encourage them. I'm not saying not to shoot on your property or go about your business. What I am saying is don't do anything that'd unnecessarily antagonize her. All of the suggestions here about code enforcement, police calls, etc., can also be turned against you. Once all of those authorities realize that it's a neighbor dispute, they will ignore your calls--perhaps even the legitimate ones--and it will not be a happy ending.

I have met all sorts of people involved in these sorts of disputes. Often, the neighbors hate each other, so they put up fences, no trespassing signs, surveillance cameras, etc., and start documenting everything their neighbor does. Sometimes, one neighbor (whether the good one or the scummy one) files a lawsuit and then it gets real expensive. At least one of the people I've dealt with got mired down in 3 years of litigation because his neighbor didn't like his fence or surveillance cameras. The judge ordered for the fence to be removed. Two appeals later, the fence had to be removed, despite the fact that there really was no legitimate reason other than his neighbor didn't like the fence. I don't even want to think about what all that must have cost, but I suspect that the court costs, lawyer's fees, etc., exceeded the cost of the fence (which was almost a 1/4 mile long along their property line).

The short version is that these can never end well if you keep fighting. Often, they want criminal charges against the neighbor and that's why they keep documenting and video taping. I have never seen criminal charges result, even in cases where the law would allow for it. It just doesn't happen. The courts don't have time for criminal neighbor disputes.

Do yourself a favor and minimize the arguing, or move. Trust me, I could go on and on and on about why this is the best solution, but it's better for you to just take my word for it. Escalating the situation will only make it worse for you. Bad neighbors will never become good neighbors, but they can become even worse bad neighbors. </div></div>

I agree and disagree with you on a few aspects. In this State a Judge couldn't order a fence be taken down if it's built on your property and not a hazard. Just because a neighbor doesn't like something is not cause, so I'm sure there's some particulars in the fence situation as you described that were left out.

As for the litigation I agree completely as this is a "Loser Pays" State so some less than ethical Attorneys take retainers and have clients sign Hold Harmless Clauses under the guile of "You have a case..." then leave the Plaintiff holding the bag so to speak while they keep the retainer.

As for your comment regarding the absence of charges in "criminal neighbor disputes" I don't see where you justify that comment simply on the absence of self witnessing in your area. A criminal offense is a criminal offense and just because it started as a civil dispute does not mean the courts will ignore it. In this State the courts can prosecute even if the plaintiff doesn't press charges, and believe me they do if they think it will generate revenue. IMO as he is LE he has an even higher obligation to observe the law than the average citizen. Doing anything else would be in direct contradiction of the sworn oath.

My parents had a really bad neighbor once. The idiot BF came up on their porch and was screaming at my mother then made the mistake of raising his hand to her in a threatening motion. It did <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> end well for him and after he recovered he DID get prosecuted(it probably helped that he also had warrants, lol). A neighbor like that although she may seem harmless may be associating with others that are far from. It's best he does document to cover his own ass at least since he's more likely to be targeted my profiteers, especially in this State where people are quick to condemn LE before they have any facts.

Some good suggestions here, also some bad ones. Probably the best is to just move. Get out of there before this gets a lot worse. Get a place that the nearest neighbor isn't that close next time.

I have great neighbors. I see them in their yard and shoot a wave and a smile. No problems.

My nextdoor neighbor has mowed my yard when I was in law school. The neighbor across the street keeps an eye on everything. It is a good life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">\

Whatever you do, you should thoroughly document every incident that occurs. I hate to bring it this far but you may need motion sensitive cameras to protect yourself from a false claim brought against you. Again, the need for a camera will be dictated by your chosen course of action.

Just be careful man. </div></div>

I've read a lot of good advice so far... but I think "DOCUMENT EVERYTHING" is probably the best advice so far.

Maybe you could have a bonfire/cook out for your local Sheriff buddies to show your appreciation for the work they do in your neighborhood. Invite all your neighbors and the Sheriff's office and hope she comes over to complain about the party.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't serve any purpose to get into a pissing match with her or starting a round of back and forth complaints. It only escalates events like this to where it's out of control. You've done nothing wrong and I'd leave it at that. Do what the previous poster said and smile -- kill them with kindness. It's so much harder for people to feel like they got one over on you when you smile at them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Do yourself a favor and minimize the arguing, or move. Trust me, I could go on and on and on about why this is the best solution, but it's better for you to just take my word for it. Escalating the situation will only make it worse for you. Bad neighbors will never become good neighbors, but they can become even worse bad neighbors. </div></div>

I agree and disagree with you on a few aspects. In this State a Judge couldn't order a fence be taken down if it's built on your property and not a hazard. Just because a neighbor doesn't like something is not cause, so I'm sure there's some particulars in the fence situation as you described that were left out.

As for the litigation I agree completely as this is a "Loser Pays" State so some less than ethical Attorneys take retainers and have clients sign Hold Harmless Clauses under the guile of "You have a case..." then leave the Plaintiff holding the bag so to speak while they keep the retainer.

As for your comment regarding the absence of charges in "criminal neighbor disputes" I don't see where you justify that comment simply on the absence of self witnessing in your area. A criminal offense is a criminal offense and just because it started as a civil dispute does not mean the courts will ignore it. In this State the courts can prosecute even if the plaintiff doesn't press charges, and believe me they do if they think it will generate revenue. IMO as he is LE he has an even higher obligation to observe the law than the average citizen. Doing anything else would be in direct contradiction of the sworn oath.

My parents had a really bad neighbor once. The idiot BF came up on their porch and was screaming at my mother then made the mistake of raising his hand to her in a threatening motion. It did <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> end well for him and after he recovered he DID get prosecuted(it probably helped that he also had warrants, lol). A neighbor like that although she may seem harmless may be associating with others that are far from. It's best he does document to cover his own ass at least since he's more likely to be targeted my profiteers, especially in this State where people are quick to condemn LE before they have any facts.

</div></div>

I'm going to PM your response to this to keep ot out of the open forum, but I will point out two things:

1. The judge ordered the "spite fence" removed

and

2. I have personal knowledge that these cases are not prosecuted here.

Please don't post the info that I PM you in the open forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't serve any purpose to get into a pissing match with her or starting a round of back and forth complaints. It only escalates events like this to where it's out of control. You've done nothing wrong and I'd leave it at that. Do what the previous poster said and smile -- kill them with kindness. It's so much harder for people to feel like they got one over on you when you smile at them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

</div></div>

I'm going to PM your response to this to keep ot out of the open forum, but I will point out two things:

1. The judge ordered the "spite fence" removed

and

2. I have personal knowledge that these cases are not prosecuted here.

Please don't post the info that I PM you in the open forum. </div></div>

grin.gif

Dang.... That sucks... But my un PC answer is this...
A. continue to follow the law and do what you want...
B. Call in all your buddies at the dept, and fire guys, for a memorial BBQ, and burn all the trash the next morning in a big legal blaze of glory.
C. start varmint hunting... nothing like .223 all day long.
laugh.gif
. I'd try and nail a dear and skin it up in my yard later this year too...
D. I'm a Marine Cpl who doesn't live next to her, so my advice is probably not the best
laugh.gif
but document everything. cheers!

Just remember you have more to lose than her.

The local media and activist love nothing more that a shit storm involving abuse of authority involving your department.

I would get a restraining order above board and completely legal.

I wouldn't kill her with kindness. I would completely ignore her very existence. It's hard to be a pita when your being ignored.

The fire department will handle the false reports when they get tired of it. If possible get all official reports from them.

Be sure your complying with all laws and ordinances.

I would be sure my supervisors, Union Representatives, and Internal Affairs were advised of everything. You don't want them surprised when this escalates.

Above all I would not move period.

DO not move. It sounds like an awesome place and im glad you got a sweet spot for you and your buddies to have a good time and do do some perfectly legal things.

Ignore her. She will get mad that shes being ignored and make more bullshit fire department calls whenever she can for all the dumbest things, and they will tired of it and take care of her bullshit.