• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Someone is trying to hack my snipershide account.

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
I did not request a new password but I received this via email.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi 500grains,

A user from the IP Address: 99.163.176.230 has requested a temporary password for the Username: '500grains' at 'Sniper's Hide Forums'.

This is a temporary password that can be used if you have forgotten your original password. If you did not request this, please ignore this message.

Your original password will still work fine.

The temporary password for this username is:</div></div>

Re: Someone is trying to hack my snipershide accou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/ip-details?ip=99.163.176.230 </div></div>

Checked the location with Google earth just for fun and made a terrifying discovery - the attack came from... wait for it... the middle of a cemetary?
wink.gif
Seriously though wouldn't it be nice to get ahold of one of these douchebag 'hackers'?

Forget the IP when someone is trying to hack your shit, thats the first thing they hide or fabricate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forget the IP when someone is trying to hack your shit, thats the first thing they hide or fabricate. </div></div>

Generally true unless its some script kiddy.. I wouldnt worry too much about a password reset. Most likely its an automated script someone is running trying to enumerate email addresses and/or screenames. Then they use the valid email address to try and send spam/malware to hoping you click the link, get infected and then your computer becomes part of the botnet.

Just be smart about the emails you open.

Im in the IT Security field and routinely perform various types of IT Security related contracts as well as ethical hacking contracts.