• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Song of the day.

As good as Jimi was, I believe Stevie Ray's covers were better. It's just my personal opinion, nothing more.

I'm still to close to it all to be able to be analytical about it. I expect Jimi would have given a standing ovation to Stevie's live 3rd Stone. Jimi's live and studio versions of Voodoo Child are pretty hard to touch. I was 13 when Electric Ladyland hit the shelves and I still remember spinning the vinyl for the first time on my dad's big system. (my dad was an accomplished loudspeaker designer and his big systems were capable of knocking paintings off the neighbor's walls without distortion. We didn't live in an apartment...)

I guess I think of Stevie as being on his own tangent, fully respectful of Hendrix, but knowing that he couldn't just do an OK cover of Jimi. So he was balls-out, pedal to the metal. And that's fucking-A alright.

Not a Sniper said: "So much goin' on here. IMO."

Well stated. Thanks.

I'm still to close to it all to be able to be analytical about it. I expect Jimi would have given a standing ovation to Stevie's live 3rd Stone. Jimi's live and studio versions of Voodoo Child are pretty hard to touch. I was 13 when Electric Ladyland hit the shelves and I still remember spinning the vinyl for the first time on my dad's big system. (my dad was an accomplished loudspeaker designer and his big systems were capable of knocking paintings off the neighbor's walls without distortion. We didn't live in an apartment...)

I guess I think of Stevie as being on his own tangent, fully respectful of Hendrix, but knowing that he couldn't just do an OK cover of Jimi. So he was balls-out, pedal to the metal. And that's fucking-A alright.

Not a Sniper said: "So much goin' on here. IMO."

Well stated. Thanks.

I am THAT guy. To me, SRV was pretty close to infallible. (Regardless of shit to the contrary)

I know now his demons, IMO. Meh.

For me, that guy was speaking in very clear language. I will never not miss SRV.

Ridiculous, but true. That guy was music to me. Hard to replace. Just sayin'.

Here we are. Needing to make music in this and other voids. I'm dry.

Every day is a search for me to find what makes me juice up on something.

Folks here have been great-I'm digging what they are digging. Step one.

To make me perk up and do something different? THAT is what I am loooking for here. Just saying. We all hit the walls, I think.

So much goin' on here. IMO.

Kenny Wayne, I had hoped would replace SRV-he cannot. Just not there. IMO. Kenny is such a talented dude-no words. But not SRV. He clearly had other ideas.

SRV and Jimi. The conundrum. LMAO.

Jimi was beyond talented IMO. I discovered Jimi from his early days when I was born. At that time, Jimi, sounded like no one but Jimi. Bees knees.

Half the blues guys hated him (seriously). Half were gob smacked like the rest of us.

SRV entered much later as blues was dying in the 80s. IMO. And he ripped off enough for folks to understand, but never crossed the line like Jimi (psychedelic shit and rock with blues). Jimi was bashed by the black, blues community while SRV was seen as a "crossover" and royalties. Sad but true.

SRV was also one to pay homage (clearly) to those he learned from. Never understood it fully, but SRV was accepted much more than Jimi in many ways with the blues players.

SRV was (to me) a weird alien who could channel music and pay homage but not rip off so many, many before him. I suspect folks realized, that cat could just "stream" music out of his brain/paws. Like no one ever seen. To date IMO. Dude was a conductor of pure music. Blessed. IMO.

I miss that guy like no body's business. SRV was the epitome to me. To others, dunno. For me, that is the truth.

Not sure anyone could replace him IMO.

I can still remember where I was when I heard of his (SRV) death. Somethings you just don't forget.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
I can still remember where I was when I heard of his (SRV) death. Somethings you just don't forget.
Bathtub in Europe.

Spent the night there. My wife thought I lost my shit. LOL

Stayed there till next morning. Live very near that crash sight now. Go figure.

Actually odd circumstantial. Been there once-don't wanna see that anymore. Just sucks.

Truth.

So, here is the shit that makes me perk up.

Someone said check this kid out with his Kashmir cover and I am in the rabbit hole now (cannot find the full version).

Ridiculous Polish Homie. I cannot tell at this point if he is dead or alive. Just know his style is very unusual and am eyeballing what is really going on here. I assume these are not nylon strings (associated with classical accoustics), and he has some weird slap/tap/hand movement thing going on with his guitar body. That all said. Fuckin' kid is beyond talented in a weird Polish homie way. :D

Anyhoo:

Just to keep you watching, here he is with a Metallica song:

Here he is doing shit Yngwie Malmsteen did for a violinist (Paganini):

Here is a tiny bit of him doing Kashmir (Zeppelin):

I really just stumbled into this today, but the kid may have been on AGT or some such. And may be dead. I am just gob smacked at what he is doing.

Oh shit, here he is doing Queen Innuendo:

Seriously-how do we miss shit like this? I guess by "we" I mean "me". :oops:

Reactions: WDN-K-9
<iframe width="871" height="490" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• Ana.jpg
    Ana.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 25
Okay, okay....

There is booze involved here. I went back and re-read all of the posts. You fuckers rock! (Just sayin')

Roy Clark is not understood enough (and is hard to find outside of HeeHaw! -for the old folks).

He was awesome.

Here is a couple from my youth:

Branson was new? LOL?!

With Johnny being silly?! Yeah....

This dude could play anything with strings before it was cool. ANYthing.

Just saying. I do dig this thread-thanks for playing boys.

Reactions: Longshot231
Being a guitarist for many years, this guitarist always blows me away; Buckethead. Think he played for Guns N' Roses for a little while before going solo. Quite an odd character; who most likely suffers from social anxiety or something like that, but damn....He's a such a good player!

Being a guitarist for many years, this guitarist always blows me away; Buckethead. Think he played for Guns N' Roses for a little while before going solo. Quite an odd character; who most likely suffers from social anxiety or something like that, but damn....He's a such a good player!

He's actually been a solo artist since the late 80s/90s and has recorded well over 300 albums. Definitely an odd fella. Seen something recently that he's been suffering with some heart related health issues. Hopefully he gets it all figured out and continues making music

• Sad
Reactions: Not a Sniper
oldie but a goodie on Donna Summer's original

Donna Summer aside for the moment...

Drummers are like Goalies in hockey-flat out weirdos. :ROFLMAO: IMO.

That said-you can see the crowd reaction before Donna's song. Blue latex paint?! (Whatever!) It is what music does IMO.

PS: I loved a brief portion of Disco in the 70's-very, very weird time with punk and metal killing the acoustic shit from the 70s, and nothing wrong with that either. The 70s are what shat me out-just sayin'!

(y)

Buckethead-don't know where to start there. Yeah, clearly a weirdo in terms of what was going on at that time. And yes-do believe I caught him in the 80's writing for Guitar Player or whatever with a KFC bucket on his head. CLEARLY a gifted dude, who was educated and instructive on guitar going forward. I thought he may be famous at the time and wanting to just say words and not be known. Nope. Guess not.

That sucks he is not doing well-life is a fucking bitch. IMO.

Far better than I will ever get on guitar-just saying, almost assuredly.

But these ARE the folks who make us think differently.

I have not had a classical acoustic for almost a decade. (Top of my list of shit to do-that sound you cannot do without one and "fingerpicking!") And even with slides-I prolly need to dedicate one Strat to slides - as I suck. Not setup the same way as I am used to (and open tuning).

Anyhoo...

Music. It is universal and speaks to folks.

Truth.

Reactions: ColinW
Buckethead-don't know where to start there. Yeah, clearly a weirdo in terms of what was going on at that time. And yes-do believe I caught him in the 80's writing for Guitar Player or whatever with a KFC bucket on his head. CLEARLY a gifted dude, who was educated and instructive on guitar going forward. I thought he may be famous at the time and wanting to just say words and not be known. Nope. Guess not.

That sucks he is not doing well-life is a fucking bitch. IMO.

Far better than I will ever get on guitar-just saying, almost assuredly.

But these ARE the folks who make us think differently.

I have not had a classical acoustic for almost a decade. (Top of my list of shit to do-that sound you cannot do without one and "fingerpicking!") And even with slides-I prolly need to dedicate one Strat to slides - as I suck. Not setup the same way as I am used to (and open tuning).

Anyhoo...

Music. It is universal and speaks to folks.

Truth.

I hadn't heard of his physical illnesses. What a shame!! That's awful. However, if he really is a social hermit and chooses to stay indoors and only record music, that health set back is kind of on him. You have to move your body and get some sunlight! I do know he's recored a SHIT TON of albums. All of which are extremely well done! Either way, he's one of the great underdogs of the guitar!!

Never been much of a fan of the classical nylon acoustic. I always preferred a traditional steel string acoustic. Though, I certainly can appreciate a fine classical guitarist. But, few things sound sweeter than my freshly tuned Taylor 314 Grand auditorium. :)

For the absolute master of all things guitar.....There's no man better than Dream Theater's John Petrucci. Who, next to Jimi, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray is the main reason I play guitar and my biggest musical influence. Some of their music absolutely speaks to my soul, its crazy. These guys are my absolute favorite band! Seen them live 9 different times, i think? I lost count. Somewhere around there. 🤘:cool: From absolute lightning fast runs, riff complexity to emotional guitar solos, JP does it all. I even have one of his signature Ernie Ball Music Man guitars through a Mesa/Boogie mark 5. Perfect amp for everything!

Last edited: