• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Sons of Guns - New Discovery Show

Re: Sons of Guns - New Discovery Show

I actually met these guys and they are some dumbass mutherf**kers.

I asked them how much to build me my 300win mag (as a joke) and they said to order the parts they would charge 5000 plus 1500 to assemble!

I can have that same rifle made for 4500 at a better gunsmith! these dudes are a joke

I don't get it. Are we supposed to believe they took that rifle this tiger dude brought in and created 5 copies of it? Then he does a few clearing drills and acts like they did some amazing gunsmithing for the rifle to have worked? I don't blame red jacket for this debacle. It's the tv people. That show looks so contrived and it is so dumbed down it really isn't watchable. I mean what the fuck was that when that couple comes in looking for a pistol for the girl and will turns them away cause they don't know how to shoot. A quick lesson in responsible gun ownership? Ugh, what a mess.

I would like to see the show ended. It does nothing positive for the gun owners of America.

I agree with Gavin. I just don't get it. All it looked like to me was that they assembled a basic AR that at least 50% of the guys here could do by themselves! They acted like they built this great new gun but it was just basic assembly. I guess when you call it the "Katana" it MUST be new and improved!

On the other side of this...it's one of the dumbest shows I've seen but I still watched it! I have no idea why though.

ANDY

FML....my boss (who is an "avid" hunter, and believes he is such a good shot that hunting with anything but handload-black powder rifles is too easy - not gonna touch that)just announced what a great show sons of guns is, and how truly talented those guys in that shop are and how they are all such great metal workers. I wanted to scream....truly FML

Show was bleh for me, didn't keep my interest.

Searched for this thread to see if everyone else has the same opinion as I...

Yup.

I was downright excited by the promos- wow- mebbe a cool show featuring real gunsmiths where I can learn me somethin...

What a letdown.
This show reminds me of "Shipshape TV" that I sometimes would watch for my other "hobby" (boating). Sometimes I'd learn a good tip or pointer...but basically it was a big f'in infommercial for his advertisers, that gave him free shit to install or use on his boat, then tell all of the viewers how great it was and that we had to have it...

Red Jacket was even worse. Haven't learned a damn thing, and when I finally got around to checking the website a few days ago, lo and behold- all I see are the "products" they've been pimping on the show.

A suppressed AK- for $2800.00?? Am I the only one that thinks that's fing crazy? Who needs a suppressed AK at that cost?
Isn't that based on a $350 Saiga AK-47? Their website is conveniently short on info...and only $1000 for a "Russian Red" AK- whatever that is...

Then the AR...
I thought they were actually <span style="font-style: italic">building</span>their own AR...
Les Baer upper, Sabre lower...looks like they've just put together a bunch of <span style="font-style: italic">other company's</span> parts that any knowledgeable AR guy could do himself..but I'm not an AR guy.

For you AR guys- is this build worth two grand if you were to do the math?

What a letdown.
Would have been a much more interesting show if they were to show the workings of a real, custom gun shop. There's enough interesting stuff there- for true gun enthusiasts- to make for worthwhile viewing.

I wonder what product of theirs they're gonna pimp this week...

I was hoping they were going to shot his daughter out of the cannon

Those turds seem to favor the roto-zip as a primary tool. And since when is his shop, "world" class and one of the "top" smiths in the country?

Yeah, was an embarrassment.

I thought the grenade launcher flare thing was kinda stupid. I was surprised at the "dummy bought this, now let's pay for it" mechanic that has been used in at least 2 shows now. Also, their prices are insane. I didn't see the episode about the "katana" but I'd be intersted to see what parts they used.

ETA: show kinda sucks.

Barrel: 16-inch thin profile, with standard A2 diameter for sight base.
by E.R. Shaw
Flash Suppressor: Standard A2
Upper Receiver: Les Baer, Flattop w/o forward assist.
Bolt Assembly: MPI bolt.
Modifications to bolt assembly:
Chrome silicon extractor and ejector springs.
Original solid firing pin retaining pin.
Bevel edge of ejector for feeding reliability.
Charging Handle: Bravo Company Gunfighter
Ejection Port Cover: Mil-Spec.
Gas Tube and Pin: Mil-Spec.
Handguard: Hiperform, Carbon Fiber one-piece unit.
Refinished in satin black, with sling mount and light rail.
Front Sight: Mil-Spec A2, with spring and detent.
Light Rail: 2 ” Picitiny Rail Mounted to handguard at 11:00 for right hand shooter.
(Rail bolted with washers and thin nylock nuts and epoxied to handguard.)
Front Sling Mount: Attached to handguard @ 6:00 position.
(Bolted and expoxied as light rail.)
Rear Sight: Daniel Defense, A1.5.
Katana Parts List – Lower
Lower: Sabre Defence Lower.
(Logo engraved, manufacturer name, and Katana serial number to match upper.)
Internal Parts: Mil-Spec internals
Stock (Standard): Fulton Armory, A1 stock, with sling mount attached to left side, for right-handed shooter. (Bolted and epoxied as light rail\.)
(Requires filling in hole from original sling mount, and painting flat black.)
Stock (Optional):Magpul CTR, commercial dia. retractable 6 position stock
Grip: DuckBill Tactical Grip.
$1849
$1925 with Magpul CTR stock.

So really, it's got a pencil barrel and a carbon fiber tube, and the thing is glued together? None of the parts that make this up are really that expensive. It's a mediocre build, at best. What the crap is a "DuckBill" tactical grip? I'd take any number of $1,000 complete ARs over this soup sandwhich. Want something decent? How about an Armalite or RRA A4-type rifle? Light? Bushmaster carbon. Nothing to see here, move along.

I agree with GUNNER75. It does nothing but make us look like a bunch of Rednecks that like to blow stuff up. I had hopes for the show just based on the "custom shop" aspect that they always pimp but they fell short. Too much overproduction just like Top Shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dismal performance on that paper target when they where shooting to see who was going to work the flame thrower. If you are that into firearms, and have an indoor range at your disposal, wouldn't you be able to tighten up those groups a bit? </div></div>

It wasn't about making groups, but who could get their shot closet to one of the original shots. The Spread is intentional.

Well, tonights new shows didn't do much to redeem Red Jacket. Building a fake bazooka and converting a semi auto to full auto Thompsom 1928 for a local sheriffs swat team to use. Good choice. Oh, and a machete-Katana sword hybrid. That was a real beauty. And the semi-retarded guy Kris swept the tatted up bald dude with the muzzle of the Thompson while pretending to be Jimmy Cagney. Pros one and all.

Now it seems that firing model rockets out of a metal tube qualifies as <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> that has to do with guns...

Can someone explain how?

I think I've seen enough. I might even have to vent to Discovery...

I agree with the folks saying "these guys are idiots" but it almost seems like there are places in LA that stupidity and ignorance are encouraged if not bred for. (Unlike certain west coast states that seem to require a lobotomy to hold office)

Anyhow on the latest section until I lost all interest they built a fake bazooka with 25 Estes fueled rockets for re-enactors, charging $1,000 for each package, who are the bigger idiots? the manufacturers or the customers?

Then the CLEO of West Baton Rouge shows up with a reproduction M1928a1 he wants to convert to full auto and make more "tactical" and how he has loads of .45 sitting around. they then sweat about "getting it done" on time, weld mill and diddle with the receiver, bitch about trying to stuff it full of GI parts and how he wants it to be "select fire" Ending up with something that looks a lot like an M-4 rifle at about 10x the cost. Since they appear to be class III manufacturers, why didn't they chuck the semi auto, get a kit and then finish an 80% receiver? or are these putzes the type who will rebuild your entire engine when you need a new water pump? Not to mention I bet there are companies out there that make .45 ACP m-16s if not the tommy gun or they could look around for a S&W #76 or an Ingram. I know for a fact they can get M-16's from RRA chambered in .40 S&W and guess what? seems every cop shop in the US has that stuff falling out!

Well now I have to decide which is dumber the show, or me for wasting my time bitching about it.

The day they give me a tommy gun covered in black paint and rails for an entry is the day I leave the team.

Lame show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the folks saying "these guys are idiots" but it almost seems like there are places in LA that stupidity and ignorance are encouraged if not bred for. (Unlike certain west coast states that seem to require a lobotomy to hold office)

Anyhow on the latest section until I lost all interest they built a fake bazooka with 25 Estes fueled rockets for re-enactors, charging $1,000 for each package, who are the bigger idiots? the manufacturers or the customers?

Then the CLEO of West Baton Rouge shows up with a reproduction M1928a1 he wants to convert to full auto and make more "tactical" and how he has loads of .45 sitting around. they then sweat about "getting it done" on time, weld mill and diddle with the receiver, bitch about trying to stuff it full of GI parts and how he wants it to be "select fire" Ending up with something that looks a lot like an M-4 rifle at about 10x the cost. Since they appear to be class III manufacturers, why didn't they chuck the semi auto, get a kit and then finish an 80% receiver? or are these putzes the type who will rebuild your entire engine when you need a new water pump? Not to mention I bet there are companies out there that make .45 ACP m-16s if not the tommy gun or they could look around for a S&W #76 or an Ingram. I know for a fact they can get M-16's from RRA chambered in .40 S&W and guess what? seems every cop shop in the US has that stuff falling out!

Well now I have to decide which is dumber the show, or me for wasting my time bitching about it. </div></div>

The Tommy Gun "build" was just some Hollywood Bullshit some producer dreamed-up because he'd never seen anything like it, & thought it would make Red Jacket appear to be innovators or some such horseshit. As for the .45acp M4, they briefly showed/mentioned one in an earlier episode. This TV show is being marketed to the "Mall Ninja" out there, who gets a chubby just walking past an M4 Airsoft toy-gun.

Tonight's episode is going to be about Red Jacket "building" a bunch of fake, movie-prop guns for the Hollywood dipshits. I imagine because they're so widely known as a State-of-the-Art gunsmith shop, that Red Jacket has caught the attention of famous Hollywood Prop-houses, who are ready to drop all the California-area, prop-gun buiders w/20-30yrs of experience buiding guns for the movies, because even though Red Jacket's a long damn way from their Hollywood studios, they're still awesome enough to make their pro-guns look like Lego's!

Being Red Jacket is a top-shelf, famous shop, with an all-star team of firearms experts/innovators, it's amazing that 90% of the firearms community didn't have a clue who the fuck they were, until this show aired, & informed us that they were the Industry's Elite!

Seems to me, since firearms-genius, Will is too busy playing with his toys to do shit around the shop, & since he only has 1 actual "Gunsmith" & 1 "apprentice" working for him Full-Time, if they were really as swamped by demand for their suppressed shotguns, AK-Knockoff's, & plain-jane AR-15's, it doesn't look like they'd have time to fuck with potato-guns, oops, i mean replica rocket launchers & movie-props?

If Red Jacket is as big a joke as their TV show, it's a wonder they can afford to keep the lights on! I'm the real dumbass tho! When Retard/Apprentice, Chris made the comment that he'd like to make an Electric Guitar/AK-47, so he could rock-out while he was shooting, I should've changed the channel immediately, instead of wasting even more of my obviously, boring life by tuning-in to watch 3-4 more episodes.

I wonder if I sent them a used .308 GAP rifle, could they convert it into a Full-Auto, paintball gun? I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see exactly that in the previews for next week's episode of "Sons of Guns."

I am in total agreement on the show but let's take it easy on the "stupidity and ignorance" in LA comments. It's not like I can't pick a couple of people out of the whole state of TX that have done some ignorance and paint the state with that brush. No one even said the Red Jacket guy is a native of LA and the Sheriff, well he's a politician. We elect our Sheriff's here so he doesn't necessarily have to be a professional LEO to get the job. I get that he is trying to give his guys a weapon and what do you expect the SWAT guys to say on camera? Gee Boss, you're an idiot and this gun is ridiculous. Where do I turn in my equipment now that I am fired? I think the point of the thread was that the show sucks. Let's hold off on the blanket characterizations and remember that Hollywood is involved. No telling what is really going on before the editing guys get involved.

The shows kinda like a car crash it's bad and it sucks but yet u still watch it. I'm to the point now where I watch it just to c what kind of dumb shit they say or do next. But I will say that I like the episode with the old guy and the flamethrower.
wink.gif

+1 for pretty much all of the above. Alot of people are going to get the wrong idea about guns and responsible owners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in total agreement on the show but let's take it easy on the "stupidity and ignorance" in LA comments. It's not like I can't pick a couple of people out of the whole state of TX that have done some ignorance and paint the state with that brush. No one even said the Red Jacket guy is a native of LA and the Sheriff, well he's a politician.</div></div>

Just wanted to say that in no way are my comments concerning the stupidity going-on down there at Red Jack-off's, reflected toward the citizens of the great state of Louisiana!

As a matter of fact, I have nothing remotely bad to say about the state. I spent many summers, vacations, & MANY a damn good, even if sorta foggy weekends having a ball! My parents divorced when I was 8yrs old, & my father moved his trucking company down to Kentwood,LA. I spent a good chunk of many summers in Kentwood. When he finally got good, dependable drivers in all of his trucks, and he no longer had to work 40-50hrs in the office/shop, then jumping-in whichever truck was missing a driver, & having to try to pick-up all the slack himself, we spent most every weekend exploring a different part of the state, gorging ourselves on fine seafood, & generally having a ball. Once I got my driver's license, and even after my father moved back to Alabama, I was still a frequent visitor to the state.

I've been fortunate to have a truckdriver-father, who trusted me enough to allow me to take many roadtrips, all over the "Lower 48," Canada, & Mexico. My father's occupation allowed him to experience, then show or tell me how to get off the beaten, tourist traps & see parts of North America that most travelers never experience.

Having been all over the continental US, I can safely say that there's no place quite like Louisiana! I don't think there's another state with anywhere near the diversity of LA. You can be tail-gating at an LSU football game one day, hit some of the best clubs anywhere in Baton Rouge that night, skip on-down to New Orleans for Jazz, Blues, & God knows what else. Eat the finest seafood on the coast, & if outdoors is your thing, you're a hop, skip, and a jump from awesome freshwater bass/cat-fishing, or if Salt Water's your thing, u can hit the flats for some great Redfish holes, or charter a boat for some Deep Sea fishing. If you like Deep Sea fishing, & have never experienced night-fishing around the oil rigs in the Gulf, u don't know what you're missing. Jump-back to New Orleans had catch-up with the Vampire tour at "The Fatted Calf" bar, & see the spooky-ass side of the Big Easy, or if that's not your style, u can follow the Blues/Rock music all the way to the crazy Bourbon Street scene, & pick-up some of the wildest, hottest women in the world, & "test-drive" a couple of them all night. Word to the Wise, stay sober enough that you're able to spot that tall blonde in the corner's Adam's Apple before u become the star of your very own, "Holy Shit, dude! She's a fuckin' HE" stories! Ha. Some of the best parties I've ever been to were held at a fishing shack, floating on 50 gallon plastic barrels, & tied-off way-out in the bayou. Man, those Cajuns know how to have a good time! Those real-deal Swamp people are some of the nicest, most interesting folks I've ever met.

I've found those Louisiana Cajuns to be the most welcoming people u will run into. Back in my college days, we'd get down to Panama City, FL, & it never failed. Our hotel room would be right-across from a group of guys & gals from LA. While all those metro-sexual, Jersey Shore fuck-offs are busy flexing their roid-fueled biceps & trying to act like Billy Jo Bad-ass, those Cajuns would be down there having a good time & they'd always want everybody else in the vicinity to be having a good time too. People from other parts of the country act like they'd freak-out if they had to even make eye-contact with u, but I never met a Cajun at the beach yetm that wasn't offering me an ice-cold beer & wantin' tp Party-Party!

Hell yeah, it's sad to be old & so bored, I look forward to Wednesday nights so I can belittle Red Jack-Off's goofy-asses. Oh well, when my body has quit on me, & I'm stuck in some shit-hole of a nursing home, I may not have teeth to chew my food with, but I'll always have the memories of the crazy-ass, stupid shit I did when I was a young buck to laugh about! Hell Yeah, fuckin' "A" to all those crazy Cajuns & Creole's out there! People may always take cheap-shots at your, backwards way of life, but this good ole' boy from Alabama was always speak highly of u. Thank God for that Louisiana Purchase! At least, once upon a time, there was an American politician that actually spent a shitload of our tax dollars on something that wasn't a complete, 100% fuck-up!

Well shit, looks like I've screwed-around & missed this week's "Sons of Guns" episode. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to forgive myself!

It's not that hard.

Repeat after me, "...I am forgiven..., I am forgiven...".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Russ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well shit, looks like I've screwed-around & missed this week's "Sons of Guns" episode. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to forgive myself! </div></div>

I have the opposite reaction, Unfortunately, I watched a few minutes of it last night, the part where the owner starts popping off blanks at the other guys, and I think I'm struggling to forgive myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

come one fellas. the tommy gun bit was obviously put on for the show. with all the modern rifles out there why would any realistically attempt to put the lives of his men in the hands of a crackerjack revamp. with all the trash talkin about LA its hard to believe you cats did catch this

so retarded, I could mount my M4 on a RC monster truck with video and Servos, those guys are fuk'n assclowns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it about putting white trash on television these days?!!

Axe Men, Ice Road Truckers, that lame alligator killing show, and now this shit.

Boycott inbound... </div></div>

+1

Sounds like I didn't miss anything by skipping this.

I saw a episode where one guy shot another guy in the groin with a mock bazooka at 25 feet. The rockets were cardboard and powered by model rocket motors. It was idiotic. if the shooter missed the Kevlar pad on the groin the motor could have gone right through his belly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a episode where one guy shot another guy in the groin with a mock bazooka at 25 feet. The rockets were cardboard and powered by model rocket motors. It was idiotic. if the shooter missed the Kevlar pad on the groin the motor could have gone right through his belly. </div></div>

Now that I would watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta check out their site. I like how the service to thread a barrel for a brake is $65, but, to actually use a lathe its 125....so I guess they do favor the roto-zip.

http://redjacketfirearms.com/services/services.html </div></div>

And I have been charging $50.00 to do it on a lathe. I guess thats why they have there on TV show and I dont!
I was excited to see the show when they first started advertising it but after watching it im not so excited anymore. I will watch this weeks episode since they are going to have one of the wounded warriors on there but thats the only reason..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta check out their site. I like how the service to thread a barrel for a brake is $65, but, to actually use a lathe its 125....so I guess they do favor the roto-zip.

http://redjacketfirearms.com/services/services.html </div></div>

Threading barrel . With guide [for flash hider or brake] $65.00 On lathe , $125.00

Jesus that's bad!

Did you see the daughter tell the Medal of Honor recipient that she thought his pin was nice? She said, "oh, that's a nice pin, I collect them," and her father replied, "that's for his Medal of Honor, dumbass."
smirk.gif
wow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you see the daughter tell the Medal of Honor recipient that she thought his pin was nice? She said, "oh, that's a nice pin, I collect them," and her father replied, "that's for his Medal of Honor, dumbass."
smirk.gif
wow </div></div>

I saw that. Damn!!

i finally got to see my first episode last night.....talking about how it's impossible to integrally suppress an AK and was never done before.

wouldn't you know they figured it out by cutting a groove in it to clear the sight....like no other gunsmith in the history of AKs or suppressors thought of doing that?

plus they seem to spend more time painting and engraving their logo in stuff than actually building guns. hell even i can bolt on accessories and stamp TOP PREDATOR PRODUCTS on it.

this type of innovative thinking got me thinking i'd rather get an extra hour of sleep on sunday nights....or maybe get a can of paint and an engraving tool....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hell even i can bolt on accessories and stamp TOP PREDATOR PRODUCTS on it.
</div></div>

Yes, but can u look as stupid as them while doing it???

My old lady told me I shouldn't be so harsh on the show, that it was made for folks who might not know the difference between an AR & an AK. Which I don't exactly agree with. Hell, 95% of American teenagers haven't physically held one, but they seem to have as good as grasp on firearms from just from playing C.O.D, than that Chris-idiot working at Red Jacket.

Anyway, I watched the marathon Sunday night, mostly because I missed the WW2 Medal of Honor winner/Flame-thrower episode, but also to try to look at it through the eyes of someone not very familiar with guns.

Hell it was worse! Between reinforcing almost every term Hollywood fucks-up(magazine/clip or suppressor = silencer), & overall just the stupid-ass way they all act just makes it even worse!(Chris acting like a cert. drooling-retard, and the need to make a dumbass face & pretend to scream like Will when pissed-off at the Crowing Ma-Duece expert & the skinhead wannabe gunsmith when he forgot to put the sling-swivel on the Katana's).

If they do happen to one day actually "make" something I want, if I can't get it somewhere else, then I'll just fucking do without!

Would be sweet if they were actual smiths, hell even good ole boys making their own interventions would be sweet.
Something tells me a real place like ga precision would be boring on tv. To professional and not enough asshatery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it me or is the daughter an annoying fucking twit?
</div></div>

Yes a pudgy annoying fucktwit.....however that extra tooth she has growing out of the right side of her mouth has got to be handy for opening beer bottles
wink.gif
</div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Russ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hell even i can bolt on accessories and stamp TOP PREDATOR PRODUCTS on it.
</div></div>
Yes, but can u look as stupid as them while doing it???
</div></div>

i could try! looking stupid (although handsome) isn't that far of a stretch for me.
laugh.gif

I did like seeing the fomer marine medal of Honor recipient with the Flamethrower. I would like to party with him. He doesn't have any remorse, and isn't all weepy about torching japanese on Iwo Jima. God Bless him. I hope he has lots of kids and grandkids,because those are the kinds of genes we need in the pool.
He handled it as well in the show as in 1945. Aimed low to compensate for the rise from the heat, and flowed, bounced the plume into the target. None of that hollywood waving it around in the air nonsense. I wish they had had the sense to mix him up a barrel or napalm, because that would have been something to see. He used that zippo like he had been doing it every day since the battle. Probably does, in his mind, every hour of every day since, and enjoys the memory. i would.
How they patched punctured demilled fuel tanks, got igniters, and assembled the rig is what i would have liked to see, not the owner coplaining the whole show about how he didn't want to shoot it because he has some psychological issues.
I hope Woody takes that torch to the next MOH meeting, and lets the others shoot it. I bet they would all enjoy it.
I'd chip in for the napalm for that. They deserve to have some fun

WTF was that shitty turret on the suburban all about? A 5.56 blowing shit up? Surprised it hit anything the way it was bouncing around. This show is absolute shit.