• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Precision Rifles . Any thoughts ?

New to the custom world and trying to get an idea of what one should expect I cost for a build from a shop of this quality, could any of you that have been there several times over chime in with a range? Best I can figure, looking like ~15-1700 in parts for barreled action, perhaps another 4-500 for a stock if not going chassis route and maybe 3/4 that again in labor?
If you’re serious, give them a call. You will get your answers directly that way.

Reactions: DIBBS and Acp
All this talk about Greg, what about Russ???

I wasn’t PLANNING on buying from Southern Precision when I inquired with them, but Russ spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me late one evening and that experience sold me on them. I’ll be back for more I’m sure. Delivery time for my barrel was under quoted time, as well.

I may be the only one but I had a terrible experience and will not use them ever again.
I guess you are the only one. I think you should tell it if that's what you are going to post....

I have dealt with Gregg a few times and very recently as well. He's very direct and he probably got a little aggravated with me because I wanted my barrel to be as light as it could be with the caveat, "but I want it to shoot ".

He knew what I meant, and he answered me I just wanted his answer to be a little different. I wanted a little more weight off, but he told me that any more and it may not shoot as well as it could, but he could do whatever I wanted. I followed his advice and my barrel is maybe a tiny bit heavier than I'd like, (which was always going to be the case with SS barrel). It does shoot like a laser beam and is much lighter than it was and by a little more than what Greg told me it may be.

This is what I want and expect from an expert. This is why I am asking him and not someone else. Even though I basically asked the same question he'd already answered a few times, he wasn't ugly to me, but he was direct, and I very much appreciate that and value that.

Not sure what your experience was because you haven't said, but every business has some kind of issue from time to time. I think it's safe to say the vast majority have an excellent experience with Southern Precision, (Greg and Rusa) and I will definitely be going back there for future Zeus barrel needs.

I have high praise for Greg at Southern Precision. He built a 260 rifle for me. He was on time with delivery and the rifle was very accurate. But what was most impressive - He called a couple of months after delivery to check on how the rifle was performing. With that type of customer service I'm a big fan of Southern Precision.

I guess you are the only one. I think you should tell it if that's what you are going to post....

I have dealt with Gregg a few times and very recently as well. He's very direct and he probably got a little aggravated with me because I wanted my barrel to be as light as it could be with the caveat, "but I want it to shoot ".

He knew what I meant, and he answered me I just wanted his answer to be a little different. I wanted a little more weight off, but he told me that any more and it may not shoot as well as it could, but he could do whatever I wanted. I followed his advice and my barrel is maybe a tiny bit heavier than I'd like, (which was always going to be the case with SS barrel). It does shoot like a laser beam and is much lighter than it was and by a little more than what Greg told me it may be.

This is what I want and expect from an expert. This is why I am asking him and not someone else. Even though I basically asked the same question he'd already answered a few times, he wasn't ugly to me, but he was direct, and I very much appreciate that and value that.

Not sure what your experience was because you haven't said, but every business has some kind of issue from time to time. I think it's safe to say the vast majority have an excellent experience with Southern Precision, (Greg and Rusa) and I will definitely be going back there for future Zeus barrel needs.

What barrel brand, contour, and caliber did you go with, I'm curious.

SPR is tops for me along with Altus, those are my first two choices for barrel needs, I know there's others too, but I haven't needed to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Schw15
And your reason is...???
it's included in this thread. there was a burr in my chamber significant enough brass wouldn't extract. You might be thinking that can't be true - but when he finally tested the gun after much headache he had the same problems. The issues magically went away when he polished the chamber he cut. my biggest complaint was how the situation was handled. It was a nightmare getting him to accept responsibility and actually try to help me instead of blaming every single other thing on earth

What barrel brand, contour, and caliber did you go with, I'm curious.

SPR is tops for me along with Altus, those are my first two choices for barrel needs, I know there's others too, but I haven't needed to look elsewhere.
Bartlein, 6mm - BB steel. 7.5twist, it was an M24 at 22". He shaved it down to a rem varmint I think.

Reactions: StrayDog
it's included in this thread. there was a burr in my chamber significant enough brass wouldn't extract. You might be thinking that can't be true - but when he finally tested the gun after much headache he had the same problems. The issues magically went away when he polished the chamber he cut. my biggest complaint was how the situation was handled. It was a nightmare getting him to accept responsibility and actually try to help me instead of blaming every single other thing on earth
Well, if that's what happened I can understand your position. It's really hard as a business owner with stuff like that, because "we" hear all kinds of stuff regularly that just isn't true. It's easy to treat someone with a legit issue, just like everyone else who has bogus "issues"... I am not excusing that at all just saying that it's easy for it to happen. Things do happen and mistakes are part of life for EVERYONE, I don't care who it is. Fair enough though

Reactions: Schw15
Things happen nothing is ever perfect I hate when things go wrong like that though. But it also depends on how people handle situations being pushy or rude makes people not want to help not saying that's what you did but Greg and Russ are top notch and wonderful to work with.

I've got several barrels from SPR and they are all shooters. I've got more blanks ready to ship so I have spares on hand. They are highly recommended.

Just read this thread after purchasing a Bartlein barrel for a 6 GT build from SPR. Was nervous about spending that kind of money for the first time on my first custom build but this all makes me feel good about the decision. Had a good convo over the phone with Russ and an email or 2 and sent them Money .
My expectations are What I have heard about Bartlein Barrels accuracy wise and SPR's excellent craftsmanship chambering and polishing her up . I will be installing onto a Ruckus SA action so its going to be a shouldered pre fit and I will follow up on experience and my thoughts on craftsmanship when it arrives if anyone is still interested !

I have at least 5 barrels chambered and fit by SPR. The are always perfection. Even helped me out on a warranty replacement barrel trade one time (long story). Ive sent my reamers or used theirs. I sent dummy rounds for my fast twist 22-250 to ensure the freebore would be correct for my desired COAL. Again, perfection. Highly recommend SPR. Attention to detail is top notch.

Reactions: Recon2278
Very pleasant to work with. Answered all my questions . Very good experience.

~ Cadex with 22" SPR Bartlein in 6.5 Creed. Remington Varmint contour. 1/8 , 6 flutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-154815_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-154815_Photos.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Pinmaster
They cut me a Bartlein 6 Creed PDQ and it’s a great barrel. I wouldn’t hesitate to have them put a gun together. Funny to me, they didn’t mark their name anywhere on my stick… you’d never know it was theirs if you didn’t ask.

Just read this thread after purchasing a Bartlein barrel for a 6 GT build from SPR. Was nervous about spending that kind of money for the first time on my first custom build but this all makes me feel good about the decision. Had a good convo over the phone with Russ and an email or 2 and sent them Money .
My expectations are What I have heard about Bartlein Barrels accuracy wise and SPR's excellent craftsmanship chambering and polishing her up . I will be installing onto a Ruckus SA action so its going to be a shouldered pre fit and I will follow up on experience and my thoughts on craftsmanship when it arrives if anyone is still interested !
You won't go wrong with them my friend, they are the Good Guys! I recently dealt with Russ on a Terminus Kratos X action for my Edge build.
shona

Reactions: Recon2278