• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

element56

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
Washington (part time in CA)
New(ish) to the forum, distance shooting. Just started (last week) reloading for my Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor (purchased last year).
The local range is only 100yards and I want to get out to longer distances.
There is the Tri-County Gun Club south of Portland with the 300yd range, any members here? reviews of the club?
Who in the area has other recommendations?

Thank you.

New(ish) to the forum, distance shooting. Just started (last week) reloading for my Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor (purchased last year).
The local range is only 100yards and I want to get out to longer distances.
There is the Tri-County Gun Club south of Portland with the 300yd range, any members here? reviews of the club?
Who in the area has other recommendations?

Thank you.

I would suggest also getting on Facebook and joining the Northwest Precision Community. Many of us moved over to there, as it's easier to connect with locals.

Douglas ridge east of Portland goes to 1000 yds, I only shot F class matches there so I don’t know if it is public or members only
Cheers

I found some good spots in the coast range to set up steel when I lived in Portland, about 30 minutes west of Banks on the way to Tillamook. There should still be a big steel target where I left it at a clearing that you can get 600-1400 yards out of. If you’re interested I can get more specific. From what I understand it’s getting much more traffic now than 10 years ago but I bet you can still find some distance.

Reactions: UpSideDown
I found some good spots in the coast range to set up steel when I lived in Portland, about 30 minutes west of Banks on the way to Tillamook. There should still be a big steel target where I left it at a clearing that you can get 600-1400 yards out of. If you’re interested I can get more specific. From what I understand it’s getting much more traffic now than 10 years ago but I bet you can still find some distance.
I do a lot of shooting in that area.
Mostly from 900 to a mile.
I’d love to know where that target is!
Have multiple places is always nice.

Reactions: UpSideDown
I'm a member of Tri County and it is also a very nice club. There is a constant 300 range open and once a week or so, they go out to 600. Large complex with many other disciplines available. It's worth a look, for what the yearly dues are, I would never let my membership go

I know its up river from your area a ways, but there are lots of good places around hermiston and tricities. There was a thread a while ago in the rimfire section about matches in the area and I think all of the places mentioned do long range real gun stuff too.

I'm lucky enough to have friends and family that are dry land farmers so we have permanent stuff set up in a few places.

Getting seriously into it too. Hillsboro area. Found some spots in Scappoose. Would like to link up with anybody.

That is where I have been shooting. I have a very good spot to practice pistol and close range fighting rifle, but not precision work. Someone graciously donated a set of steel targets at my usual spot a few months ago :D Would you care to share where you can get longer range? I love COSSA but that is a looong drive.

Tri-County is a very nice gun club, but it's about a year wait-list, about $400-ish a year, they require you to be an NRA member, and their action-pistol competition isn't scored in USPSA because they have a unique range rule of no muzzle-above-berm due to nearby houses.

Reactions: tinytigers
That is where I have been shooting. I have a very good spot to practice pistol and close range fighting rifle, but not precision work. Someone graciously donated a set of steel targets at my usual spot a few months ago :D Would you care to share where you can get longer range? I love COSSA but that is a looong drive.

Tri-County is a very nice gun club, but it's about a year wait-list, about $400-ish a year, they require you to be an NRA member, and their action-pistol competition isn't scored in USPSA because they have a unique range rule of no muzzle-above-berm due to nearby houses.
Lol
That’s a beautiful spot.
I won’t spill the beans but it’s TinyTigers spot so maybe he’ll tell you where it is.
Steel is still there.
3FB4AEE5-CD3B-405C-8110-45208CCDCBB8.jpeg

Id be down for a meet up at steelheads or tiny tigers spots
I'm down. Want to learn from you guys.
We can certainly meet up at the spot I showed sniperwannabe at some point.
There’s two others local to me on the hide that are also interested.
950 and 1125 are easy there and shorter is doable with some billygoating.
There’s a mile opportunity nearby as well.

lately I’ve been mostly shooting here.
FDBF4961-4308-4917-9602-B71AD6E37365.jpeg

Lots of permanent steel to 2000+
I named it secret squirrels.
I don’t even bring friends there!
Big thanks to who showed it to me!!!!!

Tigers, if you’re ever in the area I’ll show you another spot I found near yours with lots of opportunities from 400 to 1800 with steel there.
In another year or two your steel will probably be blocked by trees.

you guys make me want to start shooting more than a 6.5cm
I had fun for a long time just shooting 260.
Not far from the spot I told you about is a 1 mile opportunity and I did well with my 260 there quite a few times last year.
It’s a nice challenge of you and your ammo.

i have a tikka 308 that im thinking of upgrading, apparently you can get the bolt opened up for $134. I dont reload so i got to figure that into the equation
You could do 6.5prc but your still gonna have the little bullet problems.
140-150 is a lot harder to spot than 180-230 at distance especially here in the northwest as wet ground is fairly normal.

I don’t even bother shooting my 260 at a mile now as the winter wet dirt can be really difficult to spot but the 180-190 I shoot are a lot easier to see yet some days they’re hard to spot as well.

You could do 6.5prc but your still gonna have the little bullet problems.
140-150 is a lot harder to spot than 180-230 at distance especially here in the northwest as wet ground is fairly normal.

I don’t even bother shooting my 260 at a mile now as the winter wet dirt can be really difficult to spot but the 180-190 I shoot are a lot easier to see yet some days they’re hard to spot as well.

is a 7saum possible? 300 WSM? I need to start reloading

I am fortunate, extremely fortunate, that in my AO in North Central WA, that I can shoot on public lands, multiple spots, that exceed the capabilities of my rangefinder. I shoot rocks, spots on rocks a bunch, and then a friend's family has property that we have Steel from 100-1200, with rocks to way past a mile. ;)

Reactions: Aftermath
North central wa is a nice area.

I used to live in Quincy and drove north/ north east a lot to some nice shooting areas.
I still have steel out there.

Reactions: DIBBS
North central wa is a nice area.

I used to live in Quincy and drove north/ north east a lot to some nice shooting areas.
I still have steel out there.
I live in Quincy Oregon and have a couple places near for shooting out to 1600. They can be tough to find with the monoculture of tree reproduction around here.

I checked out one of @Steel head ’s spots on Sunday and got a new rifle sighted in nearby. Now I just need to find a place that doesn’t go from 100 straight to 1,100 yards so I can get my dope :p
If it’s where I think it is there’s 300-400, 700-900 and a mile opportunity’s near that location

I live out in Hillsboro. I'd be willing to go. There's some areas by Timber and Banks I wanted to check out.
I would be down to check things out. I'm in Tigard area. I have a few local spots now that work well for 100 yards or less and for drills, but I don't have anywhere in the 100-600yd range. I've been driving to COSSA or the area around it for longer range shooting.

I would be down to check things out. I'm in Tigard area. I have a few local spots now that work well for 100 yards or less and for drills, but I don't have anywhere in the 100-600yd range. I've been driving to COSSA or the area around it for longer range shooting.

douglass ridge rifle club in estacada has 100 to 1000 yds and it’s way cheaper than tri county

Last edited:
My spot in central Oregon when I’m not at COSSA.
A61F3F24-773B-4F63-9CCD-6D52F9E210A3.jpeg

Here’s the link to our long range shooters of Oregon page to keep each other informed about stuff around the NW

My spot in central Oregon when I’m not at COSSA. View attachment 7300522
Here’s the link to our long range shooters of Oregon page to keep each other informed about stuff around the NW
Ya my 6.5 cm not going to reach that

Mmm Douglas is 45 minutes from me. Almost as far as the forest spots, and still not very close to the nuclear Mac n Cheese at Skyway.... :)

Reactions: Steel head