• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOV PE scope repros?

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Every now and then I feel the urge to modify one of my old 91/30's to make it a replica of a "PE" sniper (Once thought I wanted to do it to one of my M39s until I realized what I was thinking and slapped myself sober) My most recent urge is a little stronger than most so I thought I'd access the hive mind and see if anyone has used any of these PE scope copies floating around the 'net. Specifically the one that Accumount is selling for $199 (or $299 with their repro mount)

Anyone used them? Thoughts?

I had one of their older variants on an SOV repro I built. Back then, the scope's turret dials could not be turned to zero after you sighted in, which was kind of a pain. Nice glass for a Chicom scope, though and it held zero once sighted in. I never really wrung it out at any distance, so I can't really tell you a lot more about it. Since then, they have apparently changed the design to allow the dials to be turned to zero, which is an improvement. The exact value of the clicks and how repeatable they are is unknown to me. Truthfully, I prefer the original PE/PEM scopes, or the Ukrainian PE repros, as they function in the same manner as the originals (reticle moves in FOV and turrets calibrated the same as the real thing). The repros are not without their issues, either, but are usually good scopes for the money. The biggest problem with making a repro top mount sniper is that there is little/no adjustment to the mount. So, if it's not done perfectly, you will either not be able to zero it, or will run out of elevation very quickly.

The only reason I got rid of the SOV repro was that I wanted more original 91/30 snipers/ex-snipers to build and shoot. I've kind of become more of a purist since then, so I wouldn't recommend drilling/tapping an M39. I regret having done it, myself. For the same price or a little more, you can get an original PU rifle, or build an ex-PEM back to it's former glory. I would never tell anyone what they can or can't do, but just giving some food for thought.

John

Oh no, like is said, I thought about drilling an M39 briefly, but discarded the notion almost immediately. I just traded for my second Finn (another M39, I think I'm going to find a 28-30) and they will both remain unmolested. No I'm considering a regular 91/30 for this project.

I haven't seen any of the Ukrainian repros for quite a while. Are they still importing them? I know there are a couple companies in China who are making similar items (this one comes to mind as am example) http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW-II-Sovie...144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8c371488

Coles Distributing sells the Ukrainian reproduction PE scope, PE round receiver mount/base, and a bent bolt body for $349. I didn't follow your eBay link but I am guessing it is to the Chinese RSM reproduction scopes. The general consensus has been to stay away.

An already drilled example of an M39 comes up for sale pretty often, including one drilled for the PE top mount system. In addition, one of the reproduction PE top mount 91-30 rifles originally offered by Coles will come up for sale. You can find one ready to go or get an already molested M39 and build one. I would use the Coles set up mentionde above. They are of very good quality.

I have a Coles PE Ukrainian repro 91/30 setup and can vouch for it quality. Really nice repro.

Just goggle Coles in KY and you should find it. He was recently shot and was in distress or a long while. Great guy. Website may be a bit imperfect. Try the yellow pages or online phone book. They have a phone too.

Tell Parker and Grandpa hello. Hope they are well. Great fishing there, and lots of grizz. Nice town but too much rainfall.

Tell Parker and Grandpa hello. Hope they are well. Great fishing there, and lots of grizz. Nice town but too much rainfall.

Parker's a good kid. Saw him the other day picking up some guns that Taurus sent him for free to use on the show. Must be rough... ;)

I've been here seven years now. The salmon fishing here is some of the best I've seen, and the bears are big and plentiful. The rain never bothered me. We get so much less than the rest of SE Alaska that it's hard to complain too much.

Metalhead,

I just found one you might be interested in. Sending you a PM. ;)

Coles Distributing sells the Ukrainian reproduction PE scope, PE round receiver mount/base, and a bent bolt body for $349. I didn't follow your eBay link but I am guessing it is to the Chinese RSM reproduction scopes. The general consensus has been to stay away.

I have one of the Ukrainian Reproductions that I am willing to let go. PM or email me if you are interested.

-Brian

I'd like to talk to you about buying you pe repro. 309-368-1651 or email nieuportflyer @hotmail.com.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Ukrainian repro to replace my knackered original if it can't be fixed! FWIW +1 on staying away from the China repros - they always seem a bit "hit and miss" on quality and reliability (pardon the pun)

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Ukrainian repro to replace my knackered original if it can't be fixed! FWIW +1 on staying away from the China repros - they always seem a bit "hit and miss" on quality and reliability (pardon the pun)

Basra,

I have five of the Cole's scopes and they are great! I just wish they made a Ukrainian PEM version.

-Brian