• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spacers for McMillan Saddle Cheek Piece?

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
Hey, guys.

Does anyone have any good recommendations (ad-hoc or manufactured) on a spacer system for the McMillan adjustable saddle cheek pieces?

I find myself having to take the cheek piece out of its set position to get the cleaning rod through when cleaning and it would be great to just be able to put the cheek piece back on and have it back in its rightful height without fiddling much.

I was thinking of taping some foam or rubber pieces to the underside of the saddle cheek piece, but would be great if there was a cleaner option, such as the varied height riser pieces someone makes for the AI cheek piece.

Thanks much.

Ken

Re: Spacers for McMillan Saddle Cheek Piece?

I was wondering the same thing, would be nice to not have to find the perfect setting over and over.

we use a regular eraser cut to height wrapped in duck tape. works great and it's cheap. Makes taking the saddle off to clean and replacing it to the correct height much easier.

I normally just find something in my cleaning kit that is the right size, but something that is in your shooting kit is even better.

What fits well in that space? A 308 case going in bullet first, maybe the other way. Maybe a pen in your log book or your leatherman? I agree the permanent spacers would be best, but a lot of times you can find something that you always have with you that works to set the height.

Witness marks with a sharpie.

You can thread the aluminum piece between the two rods and put a small allen head bolt and fine tune. I have it on my setups and got the idea from a guy I was shooting with at Tac Pro. This also keeps it in the right place if the screws work loose. I threaded mine 1/4x20.

Somebody can pm the guy that makes them for AI's. He goes by "M.45" here on the hide and see if he will make them.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Witness marks with a sharpie.

41 </div></div>

+1. Thats what I've been doing for a while now.

i got mine set where i wanted it and tightened the hell out of the screws. so tight that they dimpled the aluminum. now it goe right back where i want it every time.

ScoreHigh gunsmithing makes a great kit for the McM adjustables.

Me, I use 3/8" ID nylon sleeves from Ace hardware cut to length over the posts on my "non-thumbwheel" A3 and witness marks with a Sharpie on my thumbwheel A3.

Something like this sobr?

IMG_2667.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I had thought about using the dimples in the aluminum block that the screws make when tightened down as a reference, but figured that with multiple adjustments, multiple dimples start showing up.

I think I'll just get a raw plastic sheet and make my own spacers (leatherman and elbow grease should get it done, no?) and see how they turn out.

Ken

Spacers for McMillan Saddle Cheek Piece - Finally!

Well, it took over a year to get to it, but finally had the time to get this done.

So I just took a 1/8" sheet of industrial plastic and with a leatherman and a little bit of elbow grease, made myself a spacer system for the McMillan saddle cheek piece.

Worked out well too! Used five of them, with the bottom one beveled out a bit for a custom fit to the indentation where the saddle clamp bar receiver is, to get a perfect cheek weld (for me anyway).

Now I can take the saddle off and put it back on at the exact height again instantaneously. Plus no more worries about the saddle dropping if the screws come loose.

The saddle cheek piece with spacers laid out:
2gsmps4.jpg

The spacers installed into the saddle:
14o2jkp.jpg

2wmiger.jpg

The saddle with spacers dropped into the stock (look, ma, no screws!):
16ar47r.jpg

Re: Spacers for McMillan Saddle Cheek Piece - Finally!

I used scrap leather to do what the above did with plastic.
Wanting a cheekpiece that wasn't as wide and then I got tired of the thumb screws loosening up, I made this. What has changed from the pic is and with no mod to the stock, I found my happy spot, drilled/tapped 10-32 the post and the stock thumb screws go right in and tighten flush with the stock sides, --and they don't loosen up. I had made the cheekpiece from plastic before V Co came out with the grippy CP
oh-and the defective cheekpiece was replaced which I will keep.

001-10.jpg

002-15.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-6.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-2.jpg

010-7.jpg

012-2.jpg

Re: Spacers for McMillan Saddle Cheek Piece - Finally!

Thanks for sharing!
I would set mine with my thumb on one end and my index finger up front, but would need to break my position to re-adjust if the bolts came loose.
- 4 Zip-ties should hold it at the right level for me.