• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Spec a 308 Suppressed barrel?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Looking to spec a 308 barrel, will always shoot it suppressed, would like to think that I'll shoot full power loads as well as some subsonic 180gr Hornady RN bullets too.

I'm thinking 18", 1-10" twist, contour TBD.

Any issues with the above and what I want to do? Will a slower twist stabilize the 180 RN's that are subsonic?

Thanks,
J

Re: Spec a 308 Suppressed barrel?

No problems with that setup. My Savage has the factory 1-10" twist, varmint contour tube cut to 16" with an SAS brake and one of Tim's 30 cal cans. It does great with subsonic loads & full power stuff, but I'd say it's used 99% of the time for subsonic (nighttime predator hunting). I'd stick with a 1-10" twist for the subsonic loads, it is excellent for the 170 & 180 gr Hornadys and have heard of some guys playing with 200-220 gr bullets with this twist as well. I think the 220's are pushing it though, if I were trying the really heavy stuff in subsonic loads, I'd opt for a 1-9" or maybe even a 1-8" twist. 18" is fine, I went to 16" for compactness and since it's pretty much a dedicated subsonic gun I didn't need any more barrel length to get to 1000 yards or anything like that. Hell, even with the can on, it's shorter than my 260 with 26" barrel. Hope this helps ya out a little!

When I spec'd out one for me George told me that the 1:11 twist would spin them up to 200 sub-sonic. I've only used 180 so it didn't matter too much to me, but figured I would pass on the info.
Mine is a 22" bartlein.

My 20" 10 twist Broughton handles the 180 subsonics without a problem. I would go 10 twist just to be safe. Won't hurt anything.

I have been shooting a 12 twist 24" and 18 " subsonic without problems...my new build due in in about a week is 18.5" 11.5 twist, will shoot subsonic in that as well...is this a gas gun or bolt?

Zink

1:10 works real well for me on sub loads. Also consider the 170 30/30 offerings...shorter and perform well suppressed

OK, everyone knows all the civilian non dealer suppressor owners in WA state all go to Oregon or Idaho , etc to shoot them. Nuf-Sed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Washington?</div></div>

Vancouver, WA....which orders Portland, OR (where I work and shoot).

Washington....where it's legal to own them, even screw them on and fondle them.....just don't shoot them.

Makes complete sense, don't it?

you should be good with 1-12 - 1-10 on a bolt, I second trhe 170 grain 30-30 for subsonic, it hits hard and expands on soft targets, I have also used the 200 lapua subsonic round with great results in a 1-12

zink

I re-barreled a Savage 12 with a Pac-Nor 26" SS barrel with a 1-12 twist a few years ago. I do not remember the motivation for using a 1-12 instead of a 1-10, but it will not shoot the 175 grain as well as the 168's. If I had to do it again, I would go with the 1-10. From what I have read, the 200 grain match or 220 grain round nose will stabilize just fine in a 1-10, but you will need a 1-8 for the 240 grain HPBT’s and not get baffles strikes.

I have 300 whispers (TC, AR-15) with a 1-8 twist, so I have not tried anything subsonic in my 308. With the 1-8 twist, it is accurate with 240 grain HPBT’s out to at least 550 yards. No problem hitting trolls at that distance and not waking up the neighborhood; wouldn't you agree RADcustom?

Ranb

I couldn't resist.
laugh.gif

If its going to be use strictly suppressed then I'd use a 16" barrel , HV conture , and a 1-9 twist.

I know I know I know , a 1-10 will stabilize juat about anything you want to shoot , but what if you decide to shoot some 240gr SMK's through it? will a 1-10 stabilize them from a 16" barrel? maybe but if it doesn't then your gonna realy give your can a bad day!! a 1-9 will shoot everything fine it might not shoot the 155gr Lapua's as well as say a 1-12 but how many of those are you gonna be shooting?

I will error on the side of caution every time if you get a 1-12 then your stuck shooting lighter bullets a 1-10 will allow a bit heavier but a 1-9 will allow you to shoot ALMOST any bullet available for the 30 cal and do so sub sonic if you want and thats where the fun is at anyway.
Unless your in a rush and plan to call around and see who has got what in stock ordereing a 1-9 twist barrel won't take any longer and shoulden't cost any more than a 1-10.

Take a bunch of 240gr SMK's , use a meplat uniforming tool and trim the meplat back so that the face of the bullet is .125" wide then use a hollow pointing tool and a 1/16" or better yet a 5/64" drill and drill the hollow point out to about 2.50" deep , you will now have a bullet with a BC better than the 175gr SMK and will expand very well even at subsonic speed its weight is still 200+grs so it will be hitting a fair amount harder than the 168 and 175gr subs also.

BUT if your going theough all the trouble to have a gun built to shoot ssuppressed then what not have the barrel made with an intrigal suppressor ? you can make a can that will be as effective if not more so due to the increased internal volume the OAL can be reduced a fair amount and if done right the weapon will look like a 20" full bull barreled rifle

Jason,
Go with a 8 twist MINIMUM for the 240 Sierra. I shoot a 300 Whisper with a 6 or 7 twist from Pac-Nor.

If you are shooting suppressed only, optimize the twist for just that or you will be disappointed.

There is a difference between shooting suppressed all the time and shooting subsonics all the time. Just because you are using a suppressor doesn't mean you are shooting subsonic ammo. I shoot my .308 suppressed all the time but rarely shoot subsonics because they are of no use to me.

Jason get the 10 twist. It will do what you need with the subsonics and also allow you to shoot stabdard ammo, which I am sure you will be doing more than subsonics.

Rob01 is correct, that's the route I'll be going. I want to have the option of subsonics but will most likely be shooting full power stuff most the time while suppressed.

Specs will most likely be 1-10", 18", contour will be decided soon but somewhere between med palma and M24.