• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spend my money

MangoFett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Missouri
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting but here it goes, I've not owned an AR or AK in many years.

My buddies always have the fun plinking stuff and almost all my budget is saved up for PRS season and upgrades.

So here it is, now that I have a bigger safe and I think it may be a good idea to have an AR around the house let's spend my money.

I do have a large wedding expense later this year and we are looking at houses so budget is $1k not including optics, mags, trigger group.

So do I build or buy?

I'd prefer to build but would be open to buying if theres something out there just too good to pass up for the money.

As someone who has ignored all things AR the last 7 years I'll need your help to put something together that isnt a heap of dog turds or wont go down after just a few hundred rounds.

Prefer mobility and simplicity vs heavy and clunky.

Reactions: JS8588
I like building with Aero enhanced receivers and matching handguards.

I also look for blems and good sales. I think I have gotten M4E1 lowers for $65, uppers for around $110 and Quantum Mlok handguards for about $70. You can get cheaper but you will miss out on the integrated trigger guard, inverted barrel nut setup and upper tensioning screw. You can get better but you will pay a lot more.

Match that with a barrel appropriate for the shooting you want to do, a Toolcraft BCG (Nickel Boron, Ion Bond or Nitride) and parts to suit. I like to make sure my buffer tube has an anti-tilt feature and buy quality parts. You may be tempted to cheap out but there are lots of parts that are both high quality and high value.

You can build really nice for around $800 including a nice trigger. You can build a bullet hose that will run well for closer to $600 with an LPK trigger.

The cheapest you can buy will be a bit cheaper but for around $100 more, a built AR can have a nice Mlok free float tube, better buffer tube, coated BCG, integrated trigger guard, etc.

I always build.

Less wedding bullshit. They can all eat chicken or something; its a giant waste of money anyways.

Use that saved money and buy a KAC SR15.

The only other acception I'd make at the listed sale price is this: https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wesson-m-p15x-556.html

The M&P is a good deal, but the KAC is better.

I'd actually like a KAC all built and sexy but right now gotta stick to the budget.

Wedding actually wont be terrible and the fiancee and I will only be out about 4k out of our pockets. The saving for a house is probably the biggest thing now for us. Man growing up sucks lol.

Whatcha gonna do with this AR? Precision, Plinker, Self-defense/home security, or straight up high volume bullet launcher?

Reactions: Nathan11B
If you're going to build, I'd recommend a Spike's CL barrel in whatever length/profile you prefer, and as already mentioned a ToolCraft bcg as the heart of it. I wouldn't worry too much about billet uppers, and lowers unless you just want one.

$1k-I'd be looking at BCM-I think it will be more like 1.2-1.4k but pick the upper of your choice-mlock-kmod-hammer forge or button etc and get a lower-or go the complete rifle route with less of a selection of upper characteristics.

build, start with Aero as others have said for upper/lower/lpk/handguard/barrel/muzzle device.
I think Aero still represents a sweet spot of quality vs. price.

if your budget can handle it, BCM is a great value for a really great carbine.

$1k-I'd be looking at BCM-I think it will be more like 1.2-1.4k but pick the upper of your choice-mlock-kmod-hammer forge or button etc and get a lower-or go the complete rifle route with less of a selection of upper characteristics.

Also mid-length gas systems are readily available-smoooooooth shooters. They are very lightweight as well-I have a safe full of KACs and LMTs but none are as light and mobile as my BCM 14.5 middys.

Also mid-length gas systems are readily available-smoooooooth shooters. They are very lightweight as well-I have a safe full of KACs and LMTs but none are as light and mobile as my BCM 14.5 middys.
100% this. Love my 11.5” BCM pistol.
The 14.5” with 13” MCMR rail is about as good as it gets on a $1k budget. Grab a PSA stripped lower (if you’re ok being ridiculed as a Poor), quality LPK and upgrade the trigger if you want, buttstock and grip of your choice (I use Battlelink Minimalist stocks and Magpul MOE K2+ grips on all my rifles/pistols, but that’s all personal preference) and slap a BCM upper on it.

Looking online looks like you can grab a pinned/welded 14.5” MCMR upper for ~$575-650 from different sources. Can easily stay under budget that way.

Reactions: The DFC
BCM is gross. :p

I'd buy that M&P, have extra cash left over to get a good red dot, sling, stock and 10-20 mags, maybe a trigger and throw the rest into ammo. Then go learn how to use it; really use it - combat shooting not group shooting at 100 yards,

100% this. Love my 11.5” BCM pistol.
The 14.5” with 13” MCMR rail is about as good as it gets on a $1k budget. Grab a PSA stripped lower (if you’re ok being ridiculed as a Poor), quality LPK and upgrade the trigger if you want, buttstock and grip of your choice (I use Battlelink Minimalist stocks and Magpul MOE K2+ grips on all my rifles/pistols, but that’s all personal preference) and slap a BCM upper on it.

Looking online looks like you can grab a pinned/welded 14.5” MCMR upper for ~$575-650 from different sources. Can easily stay under budget that way.

That's actually a good compromise-complete upper-put together a stripped lower. Hell you might be able to get a BCM stripped for just a little more then a PSA-which are fine lowers as we all know I have several.

Reactions: Anb618
6920’s are still available for ~$1k. You’ll be stuck with carbine gas but you won’t be on Snipershide, M4C, or Barfcom asking why it won’t run. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. BCM is overrated.

The German’s suggestion isn’t bad. If you go that route, go over the gun and be sure to stake everything. There is a reason milspec guns cost more than the meme tier shit being peddled everywhere.

Last edited:
6920’s are still available for ~$1k. You’ll be stuck with carbine gas but you won’t be on Snipershide, M4C, or Barfcom asking why it won’t run. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. BCM is overrated.

The German’s suggestion isn’t bad. If you go that route, go over the gun and be sure to stake everything. There is a reason milspec guns cost more than the meme tier shit being peddled everywhere.

BCM being overrated is a new one on me.

Accuracy complaints, multiple cases of out of spec receivers, and customer no service are well known with the brand.

Accuracy-yes-they're "combat accurate rifles"-agreed.

Out of spec receivers-I've read they're really hard to mount because of tight tolerances. I've never read out of spec though.

Customer service-I've never heard a bad thing-I've never actually heard anybody having to use it though either.

Not sure about all of that being well known other then accuracy. That's why Molon's recent posting of 1moa BCM was surprising to me.

I've read-and experienced first hand-that BCMs run and run and run which negates them being overrated IMO.

Reactions: Anb618
Accuracy-yes-they're "combat accurate rifles"-agreed.

Out of spec receivers-I've read they're really hard to mount because of tight tolerances. I've never read out of spec though.

Customer service-I've never heard a bad thing-I've never actually heard anybody having to use it though either.

Not sure about all of that being well known other then accuracy. That's why Molon's recent posting of 1moa BCM was surprising to me.

I've read-and experienced first hand-that BCMs run and run and run which negates them being overrated IMO.

I’m glad yours perform to your requirements. I, along with plenty of others have found them lacking.

Lowers that will not drop aluminum colt/okay/nmhg mags freely are out of spec.

CL barrels that will not do better than 4 moa with a 69 or 77 gr smk/tmk factory or hand load is shit. Been here twice.

A stainless “recce” barrel that will not shoot better than 2 moa with factory or hand loaded 69/77 smk/tmk is shit.

Customer service that will not entertain the possibility that their product could possibly have a problem is shit.

Even shitty ar’s can run with lube. Cycling is a basic function.

Last edited:
I’m glad yours perform to your requirements. I, along with plenty of others have found them lacking.

Lowers that will not drop aluminum colt/okay/nmhg mags freely are out of spec.

CL barrels that will not do better than 4 moa with a 69 or 77 gr smk/tmk factory or hand load is shit. Been here twice.

A stainless “recce” barrel that will not shoot better than 2 moa with factory or hand loaded 69/77 smk/tmk is shit.

Customer service that will not entertain the possibility that their product could possibly have a problem is shit.

Even shitty ar’s can run with lube. Cycling is a basic function.

I'm not glad that you and "plenty of others" have had bad performance. Hopefully you and "plenty of others" that have stopped buying them don't make them go out of business.

Reactions: Jsp556
you want to spend your money why choose between them buy both then your decisions is easier now you can about something important like worrying about your ammo choices

Ever wonder why FN, HK, KAC, LMT, and Colt don’t hand out free rifles?

They don’t have to. Lol

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting but here it goes, I've not owned an AR or AK in many years.

My buddies always have the fun plinking stuff and almost all my budget is saved up for PRS season and upgrades.

So here it is, now that I have a bigger safe and I think it may be a good idea to have an AR around the house let's spend my money.

I do have a large wedding expense later this year and we are looking at houses so budget is $1k not including optics, mags, trigger group.

So do I build or buy?

I'd prefer to build but would be open to buying if theres something out there just too good to pass up for the money.

As someone who has ignored all things AR the last 7 years I'll need your help to put something together that isnt a heap of dog turds or wont go down after just a few hundred rounds.

Buy a matched upper/lower from SOTO Arms, good price, all CNC machined. Build away, no issue staying under 1k and having a really nice rifle.

Who are they giving rifles to?

Didn’t they just get a new contract in September of last year to produce rifles for foreign sales?

Not sure but Colt is no longer Colt in terms of quality. They don't belong on a list with FN-HK-LMT-KAC etc.

Well I prefer building my own. The last upper and lower receivers I bought were from Aero Precision and I'm very happy with them. Wouldn't have a problem buying from them again.

Not mine, but not bad looking for less than $600

524EA71B110345773718A59597C4D1C5.app1_1528749174257_L1800.jpg

I'm a big fan of building em just in order to get every little thing the way you want it, and as you know there's a LOT of little things! Can't go wrong starting with an Aero lower and build out from there. Adjustable gas block and Geissele Super 42 buffer systems are sweet for overall tuning of good cycling. Beyond that, I'm too lazy to do the barrel install & what not so I like to buy completed uppers to simplify my life but to each his own. Have a look at Davidson Defense. Can get some decent mix & matched uppers for good prices. Just pay special attention to what barrel the upper has in it & find one that actually has a good reputable one.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
For me, I'd save the money up until you can afford and lmt or Kac buy once cry once. Been building a ton of guns, but always seems to be factory is the way to go ?

Enjoy your wedding as well!

Semper fi
Horner

Reactions: Cmb1025 and Jsp556
If I am building it the way I like it-

Lower:
AERO M4E1 stripped lower
BCM/ Vltor A5 buffer system
CMMG lower parts kit without trigger
Geissele SSA-E trigger
BCM Gunfighter grip mod 3
BCM Gunfighter stock Mod-0-SOPMOD

Upper:
Vltor MUR
Criterion AR-15 CORE SERIES, MID-LENGTH GAS - 14.5" (pinned and welded if the lower isn't SBR'd, if SBR'd 11.5" Criterion bbl) or Daniel Defense 14.5" LW bbl
SureFire WarComp Flash Hider/Adapter 3-Prong And Ported For SOCOM Series Suppressors ( because I have a suppressor for it)
Superlative Arms .625 adj gas block for Criterion bbl - .750 for DD bbl
BCM BCG or Tool Craft (I'd like to try the Geissele REBCG)
Geissele Airborne charging handle
Geissele MK 16 13" Super modular rail or MK 14

Reactions: MangoFett
You are $4000 into one day? I would pull all the stops, and save that money and shut the wedding down to the cheapest event you can. Weddings suck, they suck for the groom, they suck for the father of the bride. They really suck.

My wife is still pissed off over our wedding, which we mostly self funded. It was 10 years ago, and it was a great event. But mostly She is envious of her sister's big wedding. To me this is stupid. It is one day in your life, not your life. It wasn't fun, it was stupid, and I was on my best behavior or it could have ended disasterously.

Some day you will be the father of the bride. Do yourself a favor and shut it down, and do the cheapest thing you can do.

Our in-laws have a ton of money. They didn't pay for our wedding and I am so thankful that they did us that way. It means I have first hand knowledge for my 4 daughters. I plan on giving them $1000 and ordering BBQ in the back yard.

Don't spend $4000 to get in the hole before you even spend your first night as husband and wife. and don't let your father in law spend another $10000-30,000.

Do it cheap!

Yes also get an AR or AK.

Reactions: IWillNotComply

So do I build or buy?

I’ve had some good luck with these:

Not sure but Colt is no longer Colt in terms of quality. They don't belong on a list with FN-HK-LMT-KAC etc.

Curious to know where their quality has dropped. The only changes I’ve seen are barrel and bcg markings on some samples. The available rifles at Clyde armory, new 6920’s, Socom’s, and OEM 1 models still have cage codes and C marked carriers. Their specs have remained the same. I’ve owned 5 Colt and 3 BCM rifles. Colt has been better than BCM every time. As long as Colts are available, they are a solid option with quantifiable information from combat usage. Since I feel the “fit and finish” argument coming, it doesn’t affect anything.

Curious to know where their quality has dropped. The only changes I’ve seen are barrel and bcg markings on some samples. The available rifles at Clyde armory, new 6920’s, Socom’s, and OEM 1 models still have cage codes and C marked carriers. Their specs have remained the same. I’ve owned 5 Colt and 3 BCM rifles. Colt has been better than BCM every time. As long as Colts are available, they are a solid option with quantifiable information from combat usage. Since I feel the “fit and finish” argument coming, it doesn’t affect anything.

I have Colts too-6920 and a 6720 pencil barrel talo LE without a FSP stock. Both from 2010ish time frame when Colt made everything in house. Now-for the past few years they've been farming stuff out to vendors and so they're literally not the same Colt rifles they were. Chris Bartocci from Small Arms Solutions talks about it a lot-he was a former employee. Mil-spec type rifles I don't care much about fit and finish. I am a Colt fanboy because that's what I shot and learned on in the Mil. I haven't shot my Colts for a while-BCMs either since I sold my soul to KAC and LMT. They still have a home in my safe and always will.

Reactions: Jsp556
KAC would be my choice. If not KAC then Centurion Arms or LMT. Call up Corrie or Monty from Centurion and they will take care of you. Some of the best people in the business. And their 12.5 carbine barrel with .0650 gas port is still the best 12.5 barrel made.

I have Colts too-6920 and a 6720 pencil barrel talo LE without a FSP stock. Both from 2010ish time frame when Colt made everything in house. Now-for the past few years they've been farming stuff out to vendors and so they're literally not the same Colt rifles they were. Chris Bartocci from Small Arms Solutions talks about it a lot-he was a former employee. Mil-spec type rifles I don't care much about fit and finish. I am a Colt fanboy because that's what I shot and learned on in the Mil. I haven't shot my Colts for a while-BCMs either since I sold my soul to KAC and LMT. They still have a home in my safe and always will.

BCM has farmed out parts since their beginnings. Do they actually make anything?

BCM has farmed out parts since their beginnings. Do they actually make anything?

I don't think they do-but they're really mysterious that way. They're known for their high levels of QC. I don't think anybody knows who makes their barrels-I've heard Criterion. They're right in the middle of a bunch of premier barrel makers in Wisconsin-Criterion, Bartlein, Krieger etc.

edit-and the cold hammer forged barrels can only come from a few places because there's only a few companies that do it-FN, DD, KAC. Criterion (I think), Ruger. it pretty much only makes sense that they come from Criterion.

KAC would be my choice. If not KAC then Centurion Arms or LMT. Call up Corrie or Monty from Centurion and they will take care of you. Some of the best people in the business. And their 12.5 carbine barrel with .0650 gas port is still the best 12.5 barrel made.
Do they make their own parts? Their CHF barrels are made by FN the last time I was looking at them. However, I bought one of their SR25 compatible receiver sets and it was so out of spec that it was unusable.

Do they make their own parts? Their CHF barrels are made by FN the last time I was looking at them. However, I bought one of their SR25 compatible receiver sets and it was so out of spec that it was unusable.

I think KAC has their own hammer forge machine. I read that somewhere but can't remember where.

I do believe FN does them to Centurions specs if I remember correctly. I believe Centurion still does all their mk12 and RECCE barrel in house from what used to be on Douglas blanks to Crane specs but not sure what blanks they are using now.

So do I build or buy?

Almost reminiscing having gone through a wedding, house purchase, and still managed to pick-up some dream kit during the interim.

Weddings ... spend money on the shit people remember ... music, dancing, and alcohol.

House ... interest rates are better than they've ever been if you're financing. Spend more here than you would on the wedding.

AR ... coming from a guy with quite a few (frankenguns, JP, KAC, PSA), the PSA continues to amaze the hell out of me for a $550 setup. Have in the neighborhood of 1100 rounds on a 10.5" at this point. The machining isn't anything to write home about, but it has been a flawless functioning specimen, with the only upgrades being a shity vortex dot sight, Geiselle 3 gun trigger, and Surefire DF light. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and do it up all over again.

SOLGW or BCM. Nothing Gucci but very reliable and of course accurate and they’ll take a beating