• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spikes Tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer vs. Milspec Buf

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
Getting ready to order some parts for my lower build, was wondering if anyone has tried one of these ST-T2 Heavy buffers made by Spikes Tactical...they claim it shoots smoother quieter etc... I have only shot colts with standard type buffers, can you tell the difference with this buffer vs. what I have in my factory colt?? Cost seems about the same, just want to build a sweet shooting AR, Appreciate any feedback

Re: Spikes Tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer vs. Milspec Buf

The ST-T2 buffer is excellent. I am currently running one in a 9mm custom build along with a Wolfe XP spring. I am also running one in a 16" middy 5.56 with a standard carbine spring. The lack of the typical reciprocating weights inside the buffer are what quiet it down. Instead of the weights that shift around and create additional noise, the ST-T2 buffers use a HD tungsten powder for weight. They live up to their marketing. Smooth, quiet and extremely effective buffers!!

Do it and don't look back.

thanks ORD, so far I have heard nothing but good stuff, I think that is what I am going to go with, appreciate the input

I picked one up, haven't had a chance to run it yet. I sure hope it lives up to all the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ST-T2 buffer is excellent. I am currently running one in a 9mm custom build along with a Wolfe XP spring. I am also running one in a 16" middy 5.56 with a standard carbine spring. The lack of the typical reciprocating weights inside the buffer are what quiet it down. Instead of the weights that shift around and create additional noise, the ST-T2 buffers use a HD tungsten powder for weight. They live up to their marketing. Smooth, quiet and extremely effective buffers!!

Do it and don't look back. </div></div>

What ORD said...

They really are worth the few extra bones... especially if it's for a new build (vs replacing something that already works).

The owners of Spikes are personal friends of mine. They're Great people who are very willing to work with customers who have questions or concerns. That said, I think I have an extra ST-T2 kickin' around my shooting box I'd be glad to send a fellow Hide Member for free. I'm sure Angela or Mike wouldn't mind me doing this in the interest of getting their stuff out there. I'll need to check and make sure it's still there but PM me your address info and if I can find it I'll be glad to send it to you.

Well, I didn't realize this post was so old so another member took the initiative to PM me for the buffer and I'm sending it to 8up. Provided I still have it...

Next time you have a chance to get ahold of Mike's ear...tell him that he needs to consider producing a buffer built like the ST-T2, but dedicated for .308/7.62 Carbines (DPMS/Armalite)!!!!
wink.gif

While I didn't state any of my personal experiences with the company (just the quality of their products), I just have to say that I am really impressed with the quality of service, the knowledge and the general ease of working with a company like Spike's. I used Spike's for parts on my last 9mm build (and a couple other builds as well) and after numerous rounds of questions/discussion, I couldn't be more pleased with the results I obtained that were in no small part due to the knowledge and advice I got from Mike. Like the vendors here on the Hide, the folks at Spike's know how to conduct business and how to treat customers!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next time you have a chance to get ahold of Mike's ear...tell him that he needs to consider producing a buffer built like the ST-T2, but dedicated for .308/7.62 Carbines (DPMS/Armalite)!!!!
wink.gif

While I didn't state any of my personal experiences with the company (just the quality of their products), I just have to say that I am really impressed with the quality of service, the knowledge and the general ease of working with a company like Spike's. I used Spike's for parts on my last 9mm build (and a couple other builds as well) and after numerous rounds of questions/discussion, I couldn't be more pleased with the results I obtained that were in no small part due to the knowledge and advice I got from Mike. Like the vendors here on the Hide, the folks at Spike's know how to conduct business and how to treat customers!! </div></div>

I play Beach Volleyball with Mike's wife, Angela, and I've been bending her ear to get them to make a .308... to no avail. They're doing a 6.8 now and their Billet Upper/Lower set looks nice.

i ordered the st-t2 buffer awhile ago for my work weapons. after seeing this thread, i did a back to back test at the range yesterday. Having two carbines setup identical minus st-t2.. the recoil is much smoother with the st-t2 not to mention the weapon operates much quietier..

i would highly recommend them to anyone that is building an ar or someone replacing there there old buffer..

ronin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I play Beach Volleyball with Mike's wife, Angela, and I've been bending her ear to get them to make a .308... to no avail. They're doing a 6.8 now and their Billet Upper/Lower set looks nice. </div></div>

Oh well...it was worth a try! Keep after him and maybe once he's gotten a few other irons out of the fire, we'll see some love for the .308!!
wink.gif

Are the Spikes buffers for carbines only or can one use it with rifle length AR-15s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the Spikes buffers for carbines only or can one use it with rifle length AR-15s? </div></div>

The ST-T2 we have been talking about is a carbine buffer for use with the carbine receiver extension/stock. No-joy with using it in an A2/Rifle stock.

Are you using the standard carbine spring, a Wolff standard or action spring, a Sprinco Blue or Red, or a Tubb's CS Round or Flat spring? These all make a difference.

I also have a Spikes Tactical Buffer, and it works great in my Spikes Tactical M-4. You wont be disappointed if you buy one. Spikes makes great stuff.

I have one in all my AR's. They are excellent. One of my LMT rifles it's picky so the bolt catch sometimes doesn't engage with a heavy buffer and Magpul BAD attached. Sold that rifle or else I would have just open the buffer and poured out some of the HDTP. I like them so much with HDTP (high density tungsten powder) because it doesn't give you that thunk sound when you move your rifle around.

In my experience the heavy buffers keep the bolt locked a little longer.So i get better groups with a heavy buffer.Try it sometime you might be suprised.

can you use them on 308's, just not optimal. Or do you have to use something different?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sootstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you use them on 308's, just not optimal. Or do you have to use something different? </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend using an ST-T2 on a 308 carbine. They are too light for the AR-10 by at least an ounce (4.3oz vs. a 308 Carbine buffer at 5.4 or more depending on the buffer).

If you are in need of a .308 carbine buffer for use with a standard AR-15 CAR receiver extension/stock, try here:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

I'm glad I found this thread... was about to ask a repeat question. With all the good stuff I hear, may as well order 2. Thanks for this great info.