• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotter / LRF Combo

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    Spotter60PLRF_zps1c470b5c.jpeg

Finally got the Terrapin slaved to the Spotter 60. I used them separately for the past year and the only headache was trying to steady the Terrapin for ranging ELR distances. It's still doable, but much easier and more accurate to range from a mounted position. The special mount has windage and elevation adjustment so with it synched up to the Spotter, it's as easy as popping up to the Terrapin and lasing the target. Crappy iphone mushed into occular lens pics follow...

throughSpotterAt30x_zps7e24ca67.jpeg

A house across the way as seen at 30x through the Spotter.

throughPLRF05_zps1fd97313.jpeg

The view through the Terrapin at 5x - reading 1475 yards.

The natural next step here is to move to a PLRF-25 at some point, where a remote switch can trigger the LRF and not have to induce potential vibrations from pushing down on the top button. A PLRF-25 could also communicate data to FFS via bluetooth, but it's 4x the price of the Terrapin so that'll have to wait a while...a long while.

On a side note, I've played with a few different Manfrotto tripod heads and find this particular 410 Gear Head the best overall. It has both coarse and fine adjustments on 3-axis and is far better at making those fine adjustments than the other ones like the popular Joystick or Pan/Tilt heads. The only downside is that it doesn't have a two-pin mounting system on the plate, so I have to screw the single bolt very tight into the Spotter and during a hard day of use it's not uncommon for this to loosen and cause the unit to swivel a bit. There's a racetrack for a second, smaller pin to fit into the Spotter's base, forcing a parallel lock, but it seems as though I need to custom make that second pin. Some of the smaller heads do have that second pin as a plunger, but not this big, heavy but awesomely useful 410 Gear Head. Oh well, another project.

Last edited:
    Thanks - your pics over the years inspired me :)

This is my new set up with a Vector 21, I've used a custom mount to pair Vector and Spotter 45

I did also a picture to a friend of mine at 3300 meters, he was working in a field, I was able to recognize him due some his walking way, in the spotter the image was more clear..

the lens of the Vector are awesome, here I was able to aim a highway bridge at 7978 metri, target coordinates were correct....

funzione street view di google earth

under moderate rain I was able to laser to 9754 meters, no issue

I've also checked the FOS function ( fall of shot ) :) ....... just to joke, works great

What are you guys using to mount your units to the Hensoldt mil rail. I have a PLRF 15 and a Hensoldt Spotter 60 demo unit on the way that I may buy, so might need that mount.

One Shot, are you using the Manfrotto 410 head on your setup as well?

You guys bring shooting to the NASA level. I popped a boner when I used my Terrapin to range 2500 yards. You guys can see what color underwear E.T. is wearing.

Nice! Did you have that done locally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went ghetto with my mount. Its from ADM, a weapons light mount for the Surefire M600. I had to drill out one of the holes slightly to accommodate the 1/4" - 20 screw to mount the PLRF 15C but for $70 from a local gun shop, that's fine by me. The locking quick release is a nice feature too.

View attachment 35727

American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Light - Laser Mounts | Surefire M600B/M300A Scout Mount

Vivo, nice job. Any pics of it with the LRF on it? ADM is making me a custom mount that has a block with 1/4-20 holes on all sides. I'll post pics when it's finished. The intended use is to provide a RAM ball mounting point off the side of the APO TIM for the RAM Nomad cradle.

Vivo, nice job. Any pics of it with the LRF on it? ADM is making me a custom mount that has a block with 1/4-20 holes on all sides. I'll post pics when it's finished. The intended use is to provide a RAM ball mounting point off the side of the APO TIM for the RAM Nomad cradle.

Here ya go. I don't need to co-witness the 2 units(although it would be nice) so it will work for now.

LG apr 21,2114 275.jpg

The co-witness ability is nice, but not necessary I find. I keep the two units apart until I get to where I'm going to be putting them to use and once assembled, the mount needs to be adjusted to co-witness. It doesn't take long, but it's a small annoyance. At this point I find that I use the PLRF for scanning at low power with a wide FOV, then pop down to the Spotter 60 for the actual observation. The main advantage of the co-witness is that I know as long as I have an object centered in the Spotter, all it takes is a push of a button on the PLRF to get a range. Not vital, but handy.