• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

spotting scope w/ Mil reticle FFP for under 500?

Djstorm100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
I'm needing a new spotting scope my el-cheapo from cabela that I got for 60 bucks on a holiday sale abou 4 years ago as served its time well. The image is canted at a 15 degree angle and thus I have to tilt the scope over to get the image to appear correctly.

I did order a Bushnell Excursion FLP that is used off amazon because I've used them before and I do like them. Reason I got it is well, they are no longer made and if something is wrong I can send it back. If I do I need something else to get.

I originally was looking at the Vortex Diamond series but there is no aftermarket or option for a mil eye peice.

comes down to what do you need it to do.

Spotting Scope.
Monocular

????

I have both the Monocular and the Razor Spotting scope. BOTH are GREAT.....they are different tools though.

comes down to what do you need it to do.

Spotting Scope.
Monocular

????

I have both the Monocular and the Razor Spotting scope. BOTH are GREAT.....they are different tools though.

It's role is to watch impact from a shooting buddy or see impacts 25-1000 yards. I'm not saying I need to see .308 holes at 1000 LOL. Most of the time it's 0-800 yards.

Most everyone has some type of budget to work within, but given your intended use for the spotter, I'd save up more $ and get something that will really do the job and last. Leupold and Vortex both make quality spotting scopes with reticles.

But FFP reticle is hard to find.

Vortex is a fixed power eye piece with reticle in their spotting scopes.

That's why I'm hoping this bushnell works. I'm spoiled when it comes to FFP. I would like to have it very much so, because when zoomed in the corrections that need to happen I can call out vs doing some type of calulation

I recently went in for a Vortex Razor HD and plussed it up with the optional mil eyepiece.

Before that, my budget mil spotter was (still have it) a SWFA 16X Super Sniper mounted on a budget tripod. This setup works quite well for spotting for another shooter.

Reactions: Douglas.gun.guy
I recently went in for a Vortex Razor HD and plussed it up with the optional mil eyepiece.

Before that, my budget mil spotter was (still have it) a SWFA 16X Super Sniper mounted on a budget tripod. This setup works quite well for spotting for another shooter.

Love that Idea! How did you get the Rail to stay secure on the tripod?

I just drilled/tapped the bottom of the rail. Thread pitch was 1/4" x 25 TPI I think. Whatever the standard attachment is for cameras and most tripod mounting plates.

The rail itself is just a piece of blank picatinny rail I ordered from Brownell's, I think it was $18.99 or something like that.

AWESOME!, its lighter and smaller than a regular spotter and you always have a backup scope if yours takes a fall.

This is how I use the Vortex Recon 15x50 R/T I recommended above. Same general set-up except it is more compact, already threaded for tripod mount, and the reticle has the much finer hashes for ranging or calling shots. Of course it can still be used as a hand-held monocular is one wishes. However, you do not get the generous eye relief that you would with a scope.

It's role is to watch impact from a shooting buddy or see impacts 25-1000 yards. I'm not saying I need to see .308 holes at 1000 LOL. Most of the time it's 0-800 yards.

If you are really going to do this and do it well....a spotter is hands down the way to go the 30x in the Razor and great glass.....tough to beat

I ended up picking up a old bushnell (the one that is not made anymore) for cheap. FFP Mil/has..I love it