• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scopes with Reticles

whats the turnaround time on these? from day you ship to day you get it back in hand
They said 4 to 6 weeks, but mine came in 2.5 weeks. They took the time to clean and service the scope since they had it apart. Best thing I have done for the price.
Mine is crystal clear.

BTW, I ended up getting a Vortex Razor HD, NIB, from a guy here on the Hide.

Ranging mildot eyepiece for Zeiss Diascope 65 FL exist, but is rare.
Consist mildot centre+rapid ranging stadia for shoulder width tgts. Build by Zeiss in 30/40x fixed wide-angle eyepiece.
Works in bigger Diascope 85 too, but then dimensions ratio 1.5 must be used.

Got pile of them, last new ones :)

+1 but I have used mine out to 1687 meters and the optical quality is excellent.

Only 2 cons is the weight (built to take punishment) and have to purchase the x30 eyepiece.

And for the 1600 + eye piece you get a LIFETIME no B.S. Warranty.

As mentioned before the Vortex Razor HD is a very nice spotter for the money. I have both eyepeices but really only use the 30X with the MIL ret. I find this style reticle more useable to me than a Horus style. There have been times when using a H ret that the actual impact is covered by an intersection and unless you are looking real close to the area of impact it can be difficult to know where it was. However on the flip side a conventional style reticle (+ sign) if the impact is in the 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, or 10:30 positions it can be difficult to make an accurate correction. So it is a bit of give and take. I happen to like a more open field of view. As far as the optical quality in the Razor, I am very pleased with it. After coming off Swarovski and Zeiss offerings (with out reticles) I don't feel like I am leaving anything on the table with the optical quality, but as we all know that is subjective. I also have not had the opportunity to use the Razor much past 1K, its hard to find any ELR in Maine.

I would like to check the new Bushnell out. I like the idea of it being so compact and also being able to co witness a LRF is very nice.

Find yourself a Gold Ring HD and send it off to Leupold for a reticle upgrade. Makes for a great spotter.

Be aware that Leupold charges around $400 for a reticle change in the MK 4 spotting scope. I just sent mine in to change from a mil dot to a TMR. They quoted me about $150 and then when it got there, they said the customer service rep had quoted me a reticle change for a regular scope. It was a hair over $400 by the time it was all done. Just something to be aware of.

20-60x 85 straight.

Still have to order the reticle eye piece.

That's going to serve you well. I would have gotten that one had my boys wanted it, but they didn't want to pack it. So we ended up getting the razor 16-48. Even though it didn't work for my purpose I am amazed at how good it is and I know the 20-60x85 is even better.

Pinecone; Scott at Liberty Optics has the eyepiece with MRAD reticle, because I got mine this Monday. Just ask for a Snipers Hide discount. I got the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 angled spotting scope and the extra eyepiece with MRAD reticle.
Henry

What spotting scopes are available with reticles?

I know the Vortex Razor, Leupold Tactical.

Nobody cares about buying an Optolyth because we can support companies that support the shooting community and still get a great spotter.

Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, USOptics go out of their way to support shooters. When Nathan was with Zeiss he did as well. So why spend $2500 on a company that has nothing to do with shooters? Support those who support us I say.

2 fans don't mean a thing when you consider everyone else using spotters with Reticles from the companies supporting us.

I don't see where the OP asked for manufacturers or vendors that our support shooting sports. The OP asked about spotters with reticles and people posted some good options for the OP to consider.

The limited number of companies that support shooting sports may be paying for your gear and your website but when I spend my own hard earned dollars I look at the performance of the product and the track record of the company to back up their products. IMO a vendor's or manufacturer's good will goes a long way but in no way can good will compensate for a product that fails to meet my performance and after sale support requirements. That is why I look at all of the better manufacturers and vendors and choose carefully when investing my money, even if they don't pay to advertise on the Hide.

Fanboys or not the fact of the matter is the newer Optolyth HD spotters are optically and functionally equal to the best of the German spotters with the added ability to rotate the reticle. Granted the image magnification range may not be useful for everyone but the glass is without a doubt world class.

"Support those who support us I say." may be your opinion but many of us here on the Hide have differing opinions. Don't make this just another reason for people to hate on the Hide. Transparency and open discussion of the topic is much more valuable to most forum readers than narrow minded intimidation by the admin/owner.

Chip Louie

Last edited:
Pinecone; Scott at Liberty Optics has the eyepiece with MRAD reticle, because I got mine this Monday. Just ask for a Snipers Hide discount. I got the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 angled spotting scope and the extra eyepiece with MRAD reticle.
Henry

Thanks. That is who I was going to call. I bought my Viper PST and Burris MTAC frmo them. And they will continue to get my business.

"Support those who support us I say." may be your opinion but many of us here on the Hide have differing opinions. Don't make this just another reason for people to hate on the Hide. Transparency and open discussion of the topic is much more valuable to most forum readers than narrow minded intimidation by the admin/owner.

Chip Louie

Chip @YAOG

Hate on the Hide, people do that all by themselves, and frankly I don't care if you do or not... You're opinion whether you hate me or not is irrelevant to me and how I do business.

Transparency, what is not transparent, the FACT I used an Optolyth and did not like it, (with the reticle) the FACT It costs a lot of money and is NOT the Only or the Best option on the market despite it's cost...

If you have that much money to spend why would you support Optolyth and hope you like vs supporting Vortex and knowing they not only support the Shooting Sports but stand behind the product with people you can meet and talk too. Same goes with the Bushnell Crowd... Less money, good reticle and adjustment range, Armored Spotter with Rails... for $1000 less. And they support the sport.

Contrary to YOUR Opinion, people like to support companies that support the shooting sports...

Another reason to HATE ME or the HIDE, that is laugh out loud funny... I built this site from the ground up, for 8 years of it's existence I did not monetize it and every dime was funded by me. I do what I say and speak my mind how I feel with no apologies... I earned it. If you don't like it, there are more than enough people on the internet who appreciate my straight forward demeanor.

Here is the deal for the uninformed, I was in the USMC, did not do what I did when I did it and How I did it by sitting back and worrying about your feelings. If you can't keep up, I am happy to leave you behind, if you can't handle my tone, i am happy to step over you and put my energy towards people who can. It's pretty simple.

Hate away... doesn't change my FIRST HAND Experience with the Opyolyth...

I current own, with reticles

Zeiss Spotter 60
Zeiss Spotter 45
Zeiss T* 85 / 65 with P3 eye piece
Bushnell
Vortex

and without reticles

Zeiss T* 65
Leica Televid

You can dismiss my opinion and hate all you want, but there are those who appreciate first hand experience as opposed to what they read. For years I lived behind a spotter at Rifles Only... lived behind it and the Optolyth was disliked by every instructor on the property.

Frank,
I wouldn't really worry about what a few people say vs the 80k members that are here listening to what IS being said.
You are going to run into your crowd of cheerleaders that all dog pile on bad info and skewed information. I read thru posts sometimes just shaking my head.

I have viewed an Optolyth spotter and it was NOT worth the money. I would not recommend them with the MANY different options you have available in todays market.

How much different is the Leupy Gold Ring HD vs the regular Gold Ring for those that have used both? Would I be making a mistake to pick up a "regular" Leupy Gold Ring and having it done with a reticle? I guess what I'm saying is the HD glass worth the extra $400 instead of putting that towards having the TMR installed.

Coldbore, looks like yours probably is the US Optics brand with Horus in it. You can buy it with the Gap MILR reticle for $400 cheaper (and I prefer this one) and seems to be the best value for good optics with a reticle. Anyone compared these with the the Vortex Razor, or the Leupoy Gold Ring HD?

U.S. Optics 15-40x Field Observation Scope

I have the Horus one,(cant remember the model) bought it used for a smoking deal as far as Im concerned.
I guess they dont make em anymore, and I dont even know what they went for new, maybe worth a look at for anyone who doesnt have a German glass budget.

I've been using the Bushnell FFP excursion with the mil-dot reticle since 2009, one of the first ones available and it's still going well.

The numbers have worn off the magnification ring and there is a pretty solid dint in the rear optical housing metal ring... Other than those two things, it's been great.

At full zoom the eye relief is quite short, but you get that. Great optic for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Is that not the truth! Humorously and ironically enough but I have been referring to our sport as Golf squared.

If you really want to spend money on a hobby, try car racing. I race in a cheap class to race, and it still runs close to $2K for a 3 day race weekend. Some guys spend more than that in TIRES per weekend. One guy I raced with used to race in a class where he spent $2500 - $3000 per weekend in tires. 2 engine rebuilds per year at $25K each.

At least you can get your money back out weapons, optics, equipment... Pinecone's point about racing is very valid. That money is gone in a weekend. Buy a nice rifle or scope and take care of it and you can sell it without taking a big loss.

If you really want to spend money on a hobby, try car racing. I race in a cheap class to race, and it still runs close to $2K for a 3 day race weekend. Some guys spend more than that in TIRES per weekend. One guy I raced with used to race in a class where he spent $2500 - $3000 per weekend in tires. 2 engine rebuilds per year at $25K each.

Yeah no kidding. Guess how much rears on this thing cost me after one weekend at Thunder hill?

tykn.jpg

I think that once you get into a certain price range of optics it boils down to 1) Brand loyalty 2) cost for those additional features, But when you know how a $2500 scope should behave and you find one that is bad you sure will bitch slap that one model,

I wanted that Bushnell copy of the MK 4 but but time I had seen pictures of it they stopped making it, But from what I have learned here the MK 4 is one heck of a place to start, Me I love American Gear and because the US Military use it and no doubt there is better out there I would still be proud to own the MK 4 spotter, As with my Leupold MK 4 10x50 Bino's, For me they are as good as they get and I like the fact I can adjust the RET to the right angle because my other binos drive me nuts,

But as someone said here some of the coatings do make it harder to see the trace, A while back someone did a review here on the Bushnell LMSS and he took some of the best pictures through that Scope ever posted here,

Although Lowlight has an impressive list of Spotters to die for he also listed some Brands that are also worthy so theres alot available and Im sure something will fill our needs, Even the Lesser Vortex models are going to put a smile on ya face for around 5/600 dollars+/- and from all the reviews they will knock some of the big guns off their perch,

John,

Dear Santa I would Like a Leupold MK 4 spotting scope and errrr, (oh well I can dream)

Yeah no kidding. Guess how much rears on this thing cost me after one weekend at Thunder hill?

tykn.jpg

That is why you should have gone BMW. :)

I have yet to wear out a set of R-comps on my E46 M3. :)

That is why you should have gone BMW. :)

I have yet to wear out a set of R-comps on my E46 M3. :)

Haha, hey the M3 is no slouch, great car. But not exactly at the performance range as the Gt3. That said I'm sure if an M3 had the right driver in it then you could run circles around an average driver in a super car.

haha, hey the m3 is no slouch, great car. But not exactly at the performance range as the gt3. That said i'm sure if an m3 had the right driver in it then you could run circles around an average driver in a super car.

bt, dt. :)

I wish my Leica had a reticle in it. Great spotter, but no reticle.

Chip @YAOG

Hate on the Hide, people do that all by themselves, and frankly I don't care if you do or not... You're opinion whether you hate me or not is irrelevant to me and how I do business.

LL you are well known for not giving a hoot about what certain people think, certainly more famous than myself. That said I still read and value your option on many things related to precision shooting.

Lowlight said:
Transparency, what is not transparent, the FACT I used an Optolyth and did not like it, (with the reticle) the FACT It costs a lot of money and is NOT the Only or the Best option on the market despite it's cost...

As I read it, you posted your opinion of an older non-HD Optolyth spotter and did not like it. Products change and the Optolyth HD has much better glass than the spotter I think you said you didn't like. Nobody said the Optolyth spotter was best option on the market, just that the Optolyth HD has excellent, indeed, world class glass. None of Vortex spotters I have looked through could be proclaimed optically the best. Certainly many Vortex products offered good value but IMO, not so much lately.

lowlight said:
If you have that much money to spend why would you support Optolyth and hope you like vs supporting Vortex and knowing they not only support the Shooting Sports but stand behind the product with people you can meet and talk too. Same goes with the Bushnell Crowd... Less money, good reticle and adjustment range, Armored Spotter with Rails... for $1000 less. And they support the sport.

I DON'T have that much money to spend on a spotter which is why I bought the Bushnell clone of the Leupold Mark4 which is at best O.K. in the center 70% of the FOV. I have been looking through a lot of other spotters ever since I bought the Bushnell spotter trying to find a FFP reticled spotter with the right combination of image quality and useful image magnification that I can afford. The best I've seen for the money so far is a clean used Leupold GR HD rebuilt with a TMR reticle. I'm not a fan of the TMR but the GR-HD glass is the lowest level I am willing to live with.

lowlight said:
Contrary to YOUR Opinion, people like to support companies that support the shooting sports...

Everyone has an opinion, on the point of supporting your advertisers we differ in a huge way. I suppose you also prefer the AYSO soccer philosophy as opposed to actually taking the time to coach the players, putting your best players on the field and keeping score. IMO this type of thinking is what is has eroded the core values that once made United States of America great. But to each his own.

lowlight said:
Another reason to HATE ME or the HIDE, that is laugh out loud funny... I built this site from the ground up, for 8 years of it's existence I did not monetize it and every dime was funded by me. I do what I say and speak my mind how I feel with no apologies... I earned it. If you don't like it, there are more than enough people on the internet who appreciate my straight forward demeanor.

Here is the deal for the uninformed, I was in the USMC, did not do what I did when I did it and How I did it by sitting back and worrying about your feelings. If you can't keep up, I am happy to leave you behind, if you can't handle my tone, i am happy to step over you and put my energy towards people who can. It's pretty simple.

Hate away... doesn't change my FIRST HAND Experience with the Opyolyth...

It has become cliche to say this, but I am dead serious, thank you for your service. I appreciate your attitude which is why I question the fact that you do not support the purchase and use of the best equipment a person can afford without regard to advertising and marketing B.S. to the shooting sports. If an equipment manufacturer produces a good product I don't care if they directly support the shooting sports or not. The simple fact that the manufacturer continues to build and support a high quality product IS supporting the shooting sports whether you understand it, acknowledge it or not.

lowlight said:
I current own, with reticles

Zeiss Spotter 60
Zeiss Spotter 45
Zeiss T* 85 / 65 with P3 eye piece
Bushnell
Vortex

and without reticles

Zeiss T* 65
Leica Televid

You can dismiss my opinion and hate all you want, but there are those who appreciate first hand experience as opposed to what they read. For years I lived behind a spotter at Rifles Only... lived behind it and the Optolyth was disliked by every instructor on the property.

What a nice list of glass. Read carefully, I didn't say I hated you. I said you are giving people reasons to hate the Hide and the people who populate it. I always read your posts with a bias toward favoring what you post but IMO on this point your opinion is simply weak sauce with an opinion based on an old product. Stuff changes and I would rather read posts based on comparisons of the actual products being discussed not some old product that put you off the brand for whatever reason. After all if we can't trust you to look at things objectively who can we believe? Should we believe people who don't even own or use a spotter? Should we trust a guy who didn't even shoot a particular custom rifle maker's products before calling their claims B.S.? Things change, even you have.

QUOTE:-Stuff changes and I would rather read posts based on comparisons of the actual products being discussed not some old product that put you off the brand for whatever reason. After all if we can't trust you to look at things objectively who can we believe? Should we believe people who don't even own or use a spotter? Should we trust a guy who didn't even shoot a particular custom rifle maker's products before calling their claims B.S.? Things change, even you have.

Fact is some of the older stuff is better than what is produced today, Im using A 1996 12-36x50 Tasco World class Camo'd spotter, WHY because its about as good as you will buy for under a thousand Dollars and it is as good as the day I bought it all the controls are tight and smooth I want the MK 4 but nothing Bushnell sells apart from their new Tactical spotter are worth it, I want Retical spotters because I want/need to be able to range with all my gear, I would never buy an Opyolyth scope because they have never been apart of shooting and as we all know Tasco have now become a joke???, and I dont see the point in buying german glass with middle aged eyes because theres only so much a scope can do, no way would I blow 3k on Ziess or Swaro's its over priced and I believe that a scope should come in the configuration you want and not have to buy differant eye piece's for it and the fact is we go to shoot not fart around swapping parts,

Unscrew a lens and thats just another place for dirt to get in like on the new Swaro, Damn designer gear soon we'll all be Poncing around like Paris Hilton,, Bottom line is if you like it then thats all that matters and not what we think or ya Mates think, Spotting scopes are not going to change how we shoot, Kestrels and Range finders will but spotters will never have that bigger impact,

john

Last edited: