• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR/DMR matches: What are you running?

I visited St. Augustine to watch a SPR/DMR comp this past weekend.
I saw a lot of high end kit. KAC, Larue, Geissele,.. S&B, Nightforce, Razors,... Lots of cans.
There were a handful of really talented shooters behind some of those rigs too.

I might have felt under-gunned if I competed that day with my "DMR" setup.
My DMR-ish upper is a mutt. Spikes CHF barrel, Colt BCG, BCM HG, Stiener 1-4 in ADM mount, Atlus QD bipods, etc...
View attachment 7419006
Durable and good parts, but it only produces 1.5 minute 5 shot groups with match ammo.
I'm thinking about putting together a CLE Bartlein upper with a NF 2.5-10 or 1-8 before I jump into this style of comp now that I know what's expected of the shooters.

For those of you that compete with or work with dedicated SPR/DMR rifles, what are you running?

While we all like the latest and the greatest gucci gear, I would really not recommend chasing parts before you running a few comps and seeing what you are having issues.

If I was in your boat I would probably grab something like a noveske SPR upper, and pairing it with a 3-18 class optic and call it a day, Dropping a barlien and maybe a longer handguard would be a good option as well.

Reactions: Bakwa and ut755ln
Sorry about the cross post. I don’t have Facebook, etc so it’s the only way I get info.

2019 (Rock Castle) and 2021 (Deadzero) videos

RIP Rock Castle.

I'm going to miss that place.

Reactions: PorkChop and NHR
While we all like the latest and the greatest gucci gear, I would really not recommend chasing parts before you running a few comps and seeing what you are having issues.

If I was in your boat I would probably grab something like a noveske SPR upper, and pairing it with a 3-18 class optic and call it a day, Dropping a barlien and maybe a longer handguard would be a good option as well.
I appreciate the advice and I'm always open to new perspectives. Over the last two years [since the post you quoted] I've now done half a dozen DMR comps and several R'N'G comps which has further helped developed my perspective on gear the lends itself to those tasks.

I sold the gun in that first post to my brother in law, ran two comps with a FN barreled upper & Razor LHT I had, while I slowly built a DMR specific rig to compete with. My DMR rig that I built had a VLTOR upper, 16" CLE Bartein barrel, SLR HG, and NXS 2.5-10.
Here's a pick of that rifle slung on my back at a DMR comp just before a stage.
F62FC407-2C8D-4D7E-BBB1-7F1AE787ED04.jpeg

I've since disassembled that upper and am now rolling with a VLTOR upper, Noveske HG, and Noveske 12.5" 6.5 Grendel barrel. It's super handy and darn precise. I even use it as one of my walk in the woods guns because it's so easy to handle.
0D90E875-C3AD-461C-B97D-C84F15D8B62F.jpeg

A3B05429-4063-4973-82D0-1F25A45D815D.jpeg

Never been but I hear it was a nice facility. Where are they doing Mamoth now?
This past year and next year it's in GA. I hope they keep it there, as I'd love to compete in it.

Reactions: FatBoy
This past year and next year it's in GA. I hope they keep it there, as I'd love to compete in it.

Maybe you won’t get snowed on. Is it at Blakely?

What happened to Rock Castle?
I can't remember exactly, but just before covid it was closed and auctioned off.
The other details are evading me because I heard all this second hand.

All that I know is that we lost a great shooting facility. It was my favorite and I'm all the way down in FL.

Reactions: PorkChop
For the guys talking about the void, particularly in the Southeast... where are you guys located here in the SE? Perhaps there’s enough of us to pool resources and begin to fill that void...? I am in the northwest Atlanta area, and have the ability to clear land and move earth...

Reactions: NHR and Bakwa
Ellis run great matches as well I’m told. I think this is a composition of multiple MDs matches. I am not associated with any except that I am acquainted with Matt and Ellis, and I may be spelling Ellis’s name wrong :)

For the guys talking about the void, particularly in the Southeast... where are you guys located here in the SE? Perhaps there’s enough of us to pool resources and begin to fill that void...? I am in the northwest Atlanta area, and have the ability to clear land and move earth...
St. Clair, Alabama (Centralish, Northish)

North Central FL.
To be practical for me, a match needs to be south of I-16 unless it's a big deal kind of match.

Since this is where this thread is going, I want to throw out that the 17 South Sweat N Bullets run n gun is coming up in August and there are still spots open.
There are some legit competitors (athletes) that show up to this one and the stages are pretty well thought out.
If you've never done an event like this, I highly recommend you try one out.
Definitely focus on showing up hydrated and remaining hydrated for this one.

Cheers

@PBWalsh

I have been tempted to try the Razor GEN3 1-10, but it seems like the sweet spot for that optic is at x8 and that using it at x10 isn’t realistic.

Those were my thoughts too after I ran one on someone else’s rifle in a tall ass 1.93 mount and a stock with a shitty cheek piece. Since buying one and shooting it in a proper 1.5” height mount and a stock with a decent cheek piece (Magpul ACS) I have changed my tune, it is plenty forgiving when you actually have a cheek weld.