• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield 2020 .22LR

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
Couldn’t really resist the purchase after examining one. Very few tool marks, and the only polymer part is the bolt shroud, magazine body/rotor, and stock. The Picatinny rail is alloy, apparently with no tilt. The receiver is tubular, with the rear receiver ring the same size as the front so I don’t know right offhand if an existing scope rail will be compatible. Not a Rem.700 footprint, but does have a hanger for 700 clone triggers.
Ruger brand mags fit like a glove, but I haven’t tried feeding live rounds yet. Overall the build quality is definitely there, I just hope the barrel God’s have smiled on me and this example actually groups well. All factory goo has been removed, I’ve greased, oiled, and adjusted, so I’m just waiting to test. I’ve slapped a 1” tube 8-32x44 scope for break-in.
IMG_9912.jpeg
IMG_9913.jpeg
IMG_9914.jpeg
IMG_9915.jpeg
IMG_9916.jpeg
IMG_9923.jpeg
IMG_9922.jpeg
IMG_9921.jpeg
IMG_9920.jpeg
IMG_9918.jpeg
IMG_9919.jpeg
IMG_9927.jpeg

Mine doesn't shoot that well. 1 inch at 50 yds, about as good as I could do.
I enjoy shooting it. Maybe it'll get better.
Please share your results.

Reactions: obx22
I hope you guys get shooters, so far, it seems some are not too accurate. The testers on the net don't like them. I was hoping they would be shooters.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so after reading a bunch, I decided to check some things.
1. There are no issues with my example latching onto magazines, either the factory, a clear Ruger 10 rnd, or a black Ruger 25 rnd. No matter how hard I tried, they don’t rock or release without hitting the release latch.
2. Loading rounds in each magazine, and cycling through the action, there is no evidence they were ever chambered. No scuffs, drag marks, etc. but also no engraving from a tight chamber lead. Not overly concerned as I have a couple of rifles with chambers that could swallow a hotdog and they still group sub MOA. Getting really anxious to shoot this rig.

Hmmm, so after reading a bunch, I decided to check some things.
1. There are no issues with my example latching onto magazines, either the factory, a clear Ruger 10 rnd, or a black Ruger 25 rnd. No matter how hard I tried, they don’t rock or release without hitting the release latch.
2. Loading rounds in each magazine, and cycling through the action, there is no evidence they were ever chambered. No scuffs, drag marks, etc. but also no engraving from a tight chamber lead. Not overly concerned as I have a couple of rifles with chambers that could swallow a hotdog and they still group sub MOA. Getting really anxious to shoot this rig.
Let me know when. I’ll be an extra trigger puller :)

22 plinker got decent accuracy iirc
Another guy a couple weeks ago got so so then did a second review where he messed with the action screws and groups improved some
And on a thread ,,,,,,,, here ? SH ? No accurate shooter a guy mentioned somone pulling the barrel , lapping it and groups improving significantly / greatly , like the rifle was a tac driver afterwards

Good luck , I really want one of these myself even with the bad accuracy lottery

If they take off as a design, they will have the same challenges in the modularity as the Remington 700 clones and others where the magazine latch mechanism is a part of the bottom metal or stock, vs one physically attached to the receiver body from the factory.
Time will tell…

Reactions: Beachrider99
The coned breech is already showing damage.

MB

Last edited:
IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9993.jpeg
IMG_9994.jpeg

I don’t see any damage yet, I think the earlier pic had a sluff of dust, plus I run things kinda wet during break-in. There is a rub in the bluing from the extractors.
Ran about 200 rounds through it today, and I’ll just say it’s not going anywhere. Feeding was flawless, in fact if going at my normal speed, I couldn’t tell when it ran dry, making me count my rounds as I detest dryfiring. Running the 25rnd Ruger mag a few times did teach me something, as much as I hate bench shooting (probably cause I suck at it), it’s very difficult to focus through a full mag without your mind wandering. Can’t wait for one of my friends to run a few through it. Only ran Fed Automatch (break-in), CCI SV and Eley Contact through it at 50yds in 9:00 winds of 7knts gusting to 23knts. I started the day confirming zero on my 77/22 and to establish a baseline on my given abilities for the day, broke-in the Springfield, then switched off to the T-1X, B14-R, and 457VPC to test both myself and verify the guns and ammo were still agreeable (the Tikka is just past break-in). Compared to the other rifles, the Springfield feels difficult to shoot well, it’s substantially lighter and never feels “settled” in the bags. Trigger is gonna see some work, and I can’t wait to get better glass on it.
Bottom line it’s just a new gun I’ve got to learn how to drive, figure out what it likes, and what I’m going to want to do with it.

Last edited:
There is a bit of material displaced into the chamber with what sounds to be a low round count. But hey, if it's working, it's working....

MB

Reactions: nikonNUT and obx22
Obx22
What kind of accuracy are you seeing during break in with the bulk ammo ? Like I mentioned the one guy saw some improvement with the action screws tinkering around with them , I think he backed off and started going up in 5 inch pound increments

Obx22
What kind of accuracy are you seeing during break in with the bulk ammo ? Like I mentioned the one guy saw some improvement with the action screws tinkering around with them , I think he backed off and started going up in 5 inch pound increments
68hoyt, didn’t allow the Federal slug lube to build up to the point of settling into anything resembling a group.
The CCI stomped the “accuracy guarantee” with 9 rounds in a sub 1/2” edge to edge cluster, then a yanked the last one spoiling a nice “wallet” group 😉

Last edited:
There is a bit of material displaced into the chamber with what sounds to be a low round count. But hey, if it's working, it's working....

MB
Sir I’ll defer to your experience, I can only say I don’t see scoring on chambered but unfired rounds. Maybe it’s just a loose chamber, at least function is 100%. Just heard today that some venders are offering this model at sub $400, helluva deal for anyone wanting to experiment.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Took a few more pics this AM, if nothing more it teaches the futility of a cellphone camera.
Wide grooves!
IMG_0023.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

A few more of the cone, be interesting to see how this holds up over time. 12:00 is at the top.
IMG_0056.jpeg

Reactions: JBoomhauer
Did they bead blast the muzzle. It looks like .050 or so of the bore got it too.
Not really sure, there are still plenty of tooling marks from the barrel mfg. While I won’t get wrapped up with that because the proof is in the shooting, I will get dismayed at this pic from the muzzle:
IMG_0076.jpeg

That shadow ring is the step in the bore at the point they threaded the muzzle. This means the bore actually opens up at this last bit, loosening its control of the slug and allowing gas blow-by and bullet upset as the slug exits the crown. While mine easily beats their accuracy guarantee, there’s no denying it will be better if this portion is removed.

This expansion shadow is proving difficult to photo, but is viewable with the naked eye.
IMG_0075.jpeg

Reactions: 68hoyt
That answers one of my questions I’ve wondered about , if their threading was sub par and affecting performance .

@obx22

Are you considering having the threads cut off that barrel?

It would be interesting to see if it shoots any better.
I believe this is a good opportunity to play around with different approaches. Prior to lopping the threads off, I'd try back boring with an internal crown (like Anschutz does) and keep the threads and compare groups before and after.

MB

I believe this is a good opportunity to play around with different approaches. Prior to lopping the threads off, I'd try back boring with an internal crown (like Anschutz does) and keep the threads and compare groups before and after.

MB
Yer in my head! I was actually pondering the funnel shape that Izhmash put on their Biathlon series. (Pic from the web)
IMG_0105.jpeg

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Ok , I had the opportunity to shoot this rifle today with @obx22 . I will say it was a decent rifle. For the bones it cost I believe it can be a solid shooter. The trigger is not what I was used to, but not the worst I have felt from factory. Hopefully @obx22 will hop on and share his thoughts on todays testing.

Reactions: Ranchhand
Ok , I had the opportunity to shoot this rifle today with @obx22 . I will say it was a decent rifle. For the bones it cost I believe it can be a solid shooter. The trigger is not what I was used to, but not the worst I have felt from factory. Hopefully @obx22 will hop on and share his thoughts on todays testing.
Had a fine time today running nearly a brick through this beast. It continues to be difficult to shoot well, as Beachrider99 and I agree the rifle stock is light, and also too short. If it gets picked up by a chassis manufacturer I think we will really see something, but the price hike may push it out of a niche “production” class. Running the 25rnd magazine almost exclusively, at least for me the first few shots were always wild till settling into a decent controlled rhythm of consistent pressure, tension, and follow through. I only had 1 ridiculous unexplained flyer that showed in the second mag of a 50 shot string, could have just been my fatigue.
Here’s the ugly but honest targets:
IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0261.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg

Came home and tore it apart now that I have my baseline, it’ll be time to tune.

Stopped by the LGS and picked up a couple of 15rnd mags, oddly enough they are the first magazines to not latch properly. Front of the feed lips are shaped differently, perhaps there are other dimensional differences.
IMG_0358.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, today’s project of counterboring and recrowning is done for now. Time for a test fire, but I doubt I’ll beat the pending rain 🤬
If accuracy is better and this doesn’t result in carbon buildup over time wrecking accuracy, then I’ll touch up the bluing.
IMG_0365.jpeg
IMG_0364.jpeg

I've been following you at rimfire central, didn't realize you were here too.
My 2020 is at the gunsmith right now to get looked over and possibly recessed crowned too.
Looking forward to your results.

I've been following you at rimfire central, didn't realize you were here too.
My 2020 is at the gunsmith right now to get looked over and possibly recessed crowned too.
Looking forward to your results.
If this actually works I’ve got a couple other barrels to cobble on with the same problem.

Update ????
Getting cabin fever from being down with the flu all week I’m afraid. Now it appears we’ll have to contend with crap weather for awhile. Rest assured when I can get the next range testing done, then it will be time for improvements:
40+MOA one piece steel scope rail, trigger job, stock modifications, mag tuning…

My gunsmith said the bullets are only touching 2 lands at the muzzle.
He thinks he'll have to recess the crown almost a 1/4 inch.

I would have thought the recessed crown would have gone back as far as the threading , back behind the shoulder ?

The work hasn't been done yet.
It is possible i misunderstood what the gunsmith said.
I'll report back after work has been completed and I've shot the rifle.

American Rifleman article indicates the barrel screws into the receiver. Is that true? If so, will it be easy to change barrels?

IMG_0495.jpeg
IMG_0496.jpeg

So I finally felt well enough to hit the range, sadly the wind was gusting enough to push my body while I was shooting from the bench. Basically, don’t read too much into this, but I am pleased. Group size is definitely reduced with fewer fliers. Only change to the gun (other than the aforementioned counterbored muzzle) is a new Arken EP5, and preliminary adjustments to the trigger (still a ways to go).
Can’t wait for better conditions and perhaps someone else to drive this thing as I’m no bench shooter.
If it holds any weight, I also confirmed zero on some hunting guns (Anschutz 54, Steyr Zephyr 2, Kleinguenther K22) as well as my other barricade builds (Bergara B14-R, Tikka T1X, CZ457, Rem504) with each grouping as expected, some a little better, some a little worse, for low round counts.
Thus far I’d still recommend buying one of these Springfields if you don’t mind tinkering with it.
At an out the door price of $400 or less it’s a killer deal for an entry bolt gun that accepts hi-capacity magazines.

Last edited:
IMG_0923.jpeg

Minor update, had the chance to start mapping my ballistic curve today, 50yds to confirm, then 100, 200, & 300yds. Very impressive out to 200 (could still see impacts in the cardboard). Moved to 300 and the sun came out, mirage kicked in and screwed my aiming points, still she did log an ok waterline.
Hopefully soon I’ll get a full day for testing.

Oh definitely , it may shoot fine , or shoot fine with some tinkering , but it could be a dog and need work , we will see

Reactions: Ranchhand
After seeing numerous photos of the bottom of the receiver, it looks so close to a CZ, has anyone tried dropping one of the into a CZ stock to see if they’re anywhere close? Maybe even on a RAR stock as it uses the same style mag system?

Any dimensions on the action screw distances on the 2020?

Last edited:
Playing in 15-31mph gusting winds kinda screwed my 100yd plans, so instead I confirmed my 50yd zeroes on paper, then switched to steel at 100.
That Springfield 2020 has promise for a cheap competitive rifle.
A note on the CZ VPC, first time running the Eley Contact after a direct switch from CCI SV. Came home and removed a bit of lead and carbon, so that one will be tested again. Point was to show what these rifles are capable of with this ammo and my own somewhat limited abilities.
I don’t feel I’m shortchanging anyone if I loan out the Springfield at one of our events.
IMG_1635.jpeg
IMG_1632.jpeg

Reactions: Big Phish and P&Y