• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

The guy that's always right behind or ahead of Leograndis at any big PCC match, most recent IPSC Shotgun World Shoot champion, probably the second best 3 gunner in the world currently. Legitimately a good guy in my experience, not sure why he gets on the fake division hype train.
He can EABOD

Good video, fair review. How many rounds before the match? Not a knock but always 200 rounds of ball in a new (or used) semiauto. I got the impression he shot fresh out of the box, but doubt that he did.

Kind of disappointed in his fit and finish problems. I doubt it was just to get the first batch out. SA likes MIM, so far no problems with MIM parts for Bull's Eye since mid 90's.

Caspian was making a double stack not that long ago....now I can't find one on their site ?
Had one I guess its been like 7 years ago since I've seen another one. ended up just selling it because I kept getting frustrated with lack of compatibility in parts etc.. was a great no frills gun though but went back to just shooting a glock 34till this year finally.

How many rounds before the match? Not a knock but always 200 rounds of ball in a new (or used) semiauto. I got the impression he shot fresh out of the box, but doubt that he did.
I do not believe in pistols needing a break in period. They need to work right out of the box. That's one of the reasons why I don't buy 1911s and instead buy modern duty-grade handguns that do.

Kind of disappointed in his fit and finish problems. I doubt it was just to get the first batch out. SA likes MIM, so far no problems with MIM parts for Bull's Eye since mid 90's.
I'm not a sintered metal expert, but it is possible that surface roughness requirements might have been relaxed by Springfield to allow suppliers to meet a cost target.

I do not believe in pistols needing a break in period. They need to work right out of the box. That's one of the reasons why I don't buy 1911s and instead buy modern duty-grade handguns that do.

I'm not a sintered metal expert, but it is possible that surface roughness requirements might have been relaxed by Springfield to allow suppliers to meet a cost target.

Kinda like getting a suit off the rack vs getting a tailored suit?

MIM is a process with a wide range of outcomes - anything from crap barely suitable for toys up to components for engines and transmissions that have strength and dimensional requirements well beyond that required for firearms. It all comes down to cost.

i bought two Atlas Gunworks (and a Laugo) . The erebus and the artemis rds (40). After you handle these guns hard to get excited at this

MIM is a process with a wide range of outcomes - anything from crap barely suitable for toys up to components for engines and transmissions that have strength and dimensional requirements well beyond that required for firearms. It all comes down to cost.

Yep but you can't convince idiots (like almost everyone in the S&W forum) of that

Reactions: phlegethon
i bought two Atlas Gunworks (and a Laugo) . The erebus and the artemis rds (40). After you handle these guns hard to get excited at this

The different price points of the pistols you mention and this one make the comparison irrelevant.

Reactions: Islander
While I'm sure they are nice, no way in hell I'd drop $6,300 on one of those. :oops:

This SA is going to be an affordable option for those who might want to get into a 2011.

A review from someone who has nothing to gain by sugar coating anything. I know him personally, that's how I know.

Not impressed

We need more reviews like this.

Its not bad--being rough is a fixable issue--yeah it would be better if it came out right in the first place, but a good trigger job and some filing and you are on your way. Of course, most people hate this kind of thing, but with 1911s and 2011s you are gonna fuck with the gun. Its how they roll. (Especially in competition)

Definintly a disappointment to hear, but when the entry level Limited USPSA gun is basically a 3400 Gun from STI/Staccato, a little work is worth that 1700 price difference.

Or just buy a CZ TS, everyone will mock you for not having a 1911 Frame, but your gun will work (see also Glock)

Question: I'm probably dumb for asking. If an atlas or stcatto or what ever is $3k+

Is it dumb to get the prodigy and have a Smith give it a little love? (I have absolutely no clue what a smith would charge for this)

So you end up with a smooth 2k gun (or what ever it would be after the smith)

Or would this be a lipstick on a pig situation?

I always cringe when people talk about needing to change rules so new guys don't show up and get put in open only to get their dicks stomped in. New guys will get destroyed in any division. That's where we all start, it's just part of the progression.
LOL I shot open in my first USPSA match because I had a light on my G34. Whether I shoot Open, CO, Limited… I don’t care, I’m just trying to beat my previous scores.

Question: I'm probably dumb for asking. If an atlas or stcatto or what ever is $3k+

Is it dumb to get the prodigy and have a Smith give it a little love? (I have absolutely no clue what a smith would charge for this)

Stacatto and Atlas aren't in the same class. I've owned recent STI's(renamed to Stacatto) and while they may have been nice custom 2011s a long time ago. They are more geared toward mass production and aren't hand fitted and tuned. I'm willing to bet you could get a prodigy(as long as SW has some QC) to look and perform much like a Stacatto with some work but not close to high end 2011s.

I'm willing to bet you could get a prodigy(as long as SW has some QC) to look and perform much like a Stacatto with some work but not close to high end 2011s.

The issue is that high end 2011s give you no advantage in USPSA or IDPA compared to a mid level 2011 that runs.

They both will have accuracy to spare for what is needed, so the extra money is better spent on training and/or practice.

Unless you just like to look down on the poors......who might just out-train you and beat you.

Not if you're trying to bring it up to the same level of finish as these more expensive guns. You might as well start with a better base. If you just want to clean up the trigger and make sure everything runs smoothly, yes worth it. You will still be in for way less than a Staccato or one of the other higher end guns. Even if you swap out all the trigger and ignition parts with high quality components and let a smith give you a trigger job, you'll still have a lot of money left over.

Reactions: moosemeat
The issue is that high end 2011s give you no advantage in USPSA or IDPA compared to a mid level 2011 that runs.

They both will have accuracy to spare for what is needed, so the extra money is better spent on training and/or practice.

Unless you just like to look down on the poors......who might just out-train you and beat you.
That may or may not be true... Same way people are winning matches with Leupold and NF scopes but people are still buying ZCO and TT scopes. If you can afford nice things then buy them if you want. If not then don't. I never said you need an Atlas or other high end 2011 to win a handgun comp.

Last edited:
Would something like a cylinder & slide kit or one of the many forged trigger kits be compatible?
I would go into buying one with the idea of replacing a few mim parts ie. trigger and maybe extractor and spend some time with some stones and lapping compound but I like to work on my own stuff.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/1911DI

Depends on what you are trying to do. Many people did this with the cheap RIA double stacks. They take a cheap gun, make it run well, compete with it for a while, then want to move to a "real" 2011. Then they try to sell that thing and lose a ton of money.

Same with dumping money into cheap cars to make them fast, same with trued rem 700s, same with homebuilt ARs vs factory. If you are never going to upgrade, you are perfectly fine. If you want a nice 2011, get a nice 2011. If you want a cheaper limited gun, get a CZ Tac Sport.

I was just thinking that back when STI had a large variation of models and ranged in price from $800-$2500 they hit the sweet spot from kinda nice to really nice and offered something for almost everyone, plinking to competition. There didn't seem to be enough room in the market for something like this to come out and succeed. Granted, that's been a few years ago, but it seems that STI really screwed up by cutting models, now Staccato is here. None that I've handled or shot seem to compare to the older STIs and certainly not to my SVI.

Depends on what you are trying to do. Many people did this with the cheap RIA double stacks. They take a cheap gun, make it run well, compete with it for a while, then want to move to a "real" 2011. Then they try to sell that thing and lose a ton of money.

And what's worse they don't do any better with their "real" 2011

Yep but you can't convince idiots (like almost everyone in the S&W forum) of that

To be honest, there are a few manufacturers that didn't exactly cover themselves in glory when making the transition to MIM. But yeah, given that industry has been successfully making stuff like connecting rods and differential side gears with PM for more than a quarter-century, let's maybe not automatically assume that such parts are inferior.

See also $400 Geissele triggers:

super-select-fire-sopmod-_ssf_-trigger-existing-web--image-.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest, there are a few manufacturers that didn't exactly cover themselves in glory when making the transition to MIM. But yeah, given that industry more than a quarter-century successfully making stuff like connecting rods and differential side gears with PM, let's maybe not automatically assume that such parts are inferior.

See also $400 Geissele triggers:

View attachment 7950006

LOL

But MIM sucks. The S&W forum boomers told me so.

Nope. Its a decent idea. Even I fall under that "You gotta have a 2011" mentality when there are a TON of good options. Its Herd Mentality. You can be competetive with a Glock (I can't remember but someone runs limted Glock in top 5). Like I mentioned, I run a Rock Island--with a trigger job I am at $1100. Runs fine. Does it look like a pretty SVI? Nope. But my guns get used so the coating comes off, they get dusty, muddy, wet, etc...

When I bought a Shadow 2 for production, I did not immediately jump classes (I also imeddately dropped the default springs and put in a extended firing pin). Yup, it was a lot nicer gun than my M&P. I still shot shitty--but I looked so much more classy doing it!

Its Action Handgun Shooting--accuracy standards are stupid easy--its about SPEEEEEED. The fit and finish of an SVI (6-8k gun) may be great but it translates to ZERO points on the course.

Also I've seen more than a few high end guns shit the bed. Buddies 9mm major SVI Open never worked right. NEVER! Still sold it for some stupid price cause "SVI" on side. This isn't to dis on SVI, but to make a point that gun operation should take precedance over "fit and finish" Who gives a shit if your gun is gold plated with 0.0001 tolerances if if can't go 2 rounds w/o puking.

(BUT OMG THAT HAMMER IS PURPLE SWIRL COLORED!!!!)

Edit: the CZ TSO (Tactical Sport Orange) was at one time 1700 and every bit as good as a top end 2011. Unfortunatly, CZ jacked up the price, but its still a steal compared to high end 2011s. Plus Dawson Precision sold Compeition Ready Glocks for Limited. I think package was like $700. Thats a lot of extra cash for training, hookers, and blow.

Reactions: 308pirate
I do t plan on shooting anything competitive. At least not regularly. I did just move so if I find somthing semi local to play around who knows.

I'm just gonna be shooting steel at home.

This thread affirms my decision to sell my custom CZ S2 and run a Glock 45. Both are accurate enough to get hits, one is better for logistics and I’m not seeing an appreciable difference when shooting. Even if the CZ was a more pleasing handgun.

Shooter skill matters more than the gun.

@308pirate every firearm gets broke in, even bolt action rifles get a break in until it settles in. It has nothing.to do with 1911's. It has to do with function and reliability. Screws, pins, springs, etc.. After break in then you know what, if anything, needs attention.

PS: how many times do you need to load a Glock magazine so you don't fight to load it to full capacity?

PS: how many times do you need to load a Glock magazine so you don't fight to load it to full capacity?
I haven’t noticed it. Magpul brand Glock mags suck though. Factory Glock mags haven’t been as issue, especially if you use an Uplula loader.

Reactions: 308pirate
I think my break in period was age 19 - 25.... feel like I could use some replacement parts.....

My glock mags are still kind of a dick for the last 2 rounds and it's been 13 years.

Heard staccato mags work in these

They'll try again next year.
I saw a bunch of posts from guys like Froelich recently tagging USPSA and promoting Limited Optics like it was a real division. Apparently pretending is the first step towards getting what you want.
They already have a “Limited Optics” division, it’s called Open. 😆

@308pirate every firearm gets broke in, even bolt action rifles get a break in until it settles in. It has nothing.to do with 1911's. It has to do with function and reliability. Screws, pins, springs, etc.. After break in then you know what, if anything, needs attention.

Breaking in guns is fudd lore. Just like "breaking in" or "seasoning" barrels.

None of my three CZ P-10s have needed a break in period. Nor either of the two P-07s I've had. Nor my P-09, or M&P9, nor either of the Glock 17s, nor my Glock 19. They just worked like they're supposed to from the start.

That's what I expect of every firearm I buy, and is one of the reasons why I don't buy 1911s.

I've never seen a Glock magazine which needed to be "broken in" to fill up to capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makinchips208
That's what I expect of every firearm I buy, and is one of the reasons why I don't buy 1911s.
Neither my Atlas custom or PT Honcho required a break in. Maybe just don't buy shitty 1911s?

That Atlas is a champ. I was shooting the Nordic Trigun. Stage was in sand and dropped my mag (no belts, had to carry everything). Picked it up, shook out sand, slammed it into metal grip, 0 malfunctions.

I’ve never really understood the concept of “break in”. Granted, my experience is limited vs. many on here.
Though I’ve seen many that didn’t savvy the concepts of decent mags, decent ammo, and a little lube. New gun or otherwise.
YMMV…..

Neither my Atlas custom or PT Honcho required a break in. Maybe just don't buy shitty 1911s?

I don't buy handguns that require the use of a manual safety. That's the other reason I don't buy 1911s.

I was shooting the Nordic Trigun. Stage was in sand and dropped my mag (no belts, had to carry everything). Picked it up, shook out sand, slammed it into metal grip, 0 malfunctions.
The sand pit bay way back behind the clubhouse? That one will swallow mags whole if you're not careful.