• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sprint Car Driver Dies After Being Hit By Tony Stewart

G

A race car driver was killed Saturday night after he was struck on the track by NASCAR star Tony Stewart, according to Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip C. Povero.

During a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, driver Kevin Ward Jr. was spun out by Stewart, got out of his car to show his displeasure and then was struck by Stewart's car, sending Ward sliding down the track, fellow sprint car racer Tyler Graves and witness Adam Dulski told USA TODAY Sports.

Povero confirmed the driver was taken by ambulance to Thompson Health and was pronounced dead on arrival. Povero said his office would not identify the driver until receiving confirmation from his family that they had notified family and friends.

"This is an ongoing investigation of an on-track crash," Povero said.

Povero indicated Stewart, 43, was ''fully cooperative'' and that the incident is not being investigated as a criminal matter.

The sheriff's department said the cars involved were taken to private garages.

"Next is continuing interviews, a continued evaluation of evidence we have, including video, and there is certainly going to be an evaluation of medical evidence when it is collected from the autopsy," Povero said.

Mike Arning, a spokesman for NASCAR team Stewart-Haas Racing, which Stewart co-owns, issued the following statement:

"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating. Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We're still attempting to sort through all the details and we appreciate your understanding during this difficult time."

NASCAR did not respond to USA TODAY Sports' request for comment.

The Ontario County Sheriff's Department confirmed deputies were on the scene and investigating an incident at the track before Povero spoke with the media around 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

Ward, who raced the No. 13 sprint car at the track, started racing go-karts in 1998 at 4, according to kevinwardracing.com.

Coming out of Turn 2, Stewart's car squeezed Ward's car up into the outside wall, turning it around. Ward's car had a flat tire as a result, and he exited the car to show his displeasure with Stewart's move. He marched down the track and was pointing at Stewart's car as he approached on the ensuing caution lap. Stewart's car then clipped Ward, who was run over and thrown a few yards down the track.

"It happened in Turn 2," said the 27-year-old Dulski. "The prior lap, Tony had gotten into him – just spun him, nothing big, just spun him around. The caution came out. He hopped out of the car – the driver of the 13 ... he hopped out to go and yell and point a finger at Tony, typical thing.

"Tony came around ... the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him – I couldn't tell if it was with the front or the back of the car. ... The body made contact with the car and went sliding across the track. It was the worst thing I've ever seen."

Graves, 16, of Bolivar, N.Y., said he "grew up watching Kevin the last couple years, then I made the move to sprint cars. I now race a 360. I've raced alongside with Kevin the past two years. …

"Tony and Kevin were battling. … I believe they got together on the frontstretch, Kevin hit the wall and his tire went down. So he spun between (turns) 1 and 2. He got out of the car after the caution was thrown and began to walk down the track, pointing right at the 14, throwing his hands all around. The last thing I seen Kevin do was put his finger to his helmet."

Graves said he saw Ward caught up under the tire and then launched a few yards down the track. Ward hit the ground and didn't move, according to Graves.

According to Ward's website, he started driving sprint cars in 2010 when he notched five top-five finishes. In 2012, he was named Empire Super Sprint rookie of the year. This season was his fifth racing the Empire Super Sprints.

Stewart, a three-time Sprint Cup champion who suffered a compound fracture of his right leg in a sprint car accident a year ago, had just returned to the hobby he says helps fuel his success in NASCAR. He was scheduled to compete Sunday in a Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen.

In July of last year, Stewart also was involved in an incident at the Canandaigua track. He sparked a multi-car wreck that sent two drivers to the hospital with injuries.

After Saturday night's incident, racing was canceled for the rest of the night, according to the track's Facebook page.

In a later post, the track said: "Canandaigua Motorspots Park will not have an official statement on the accident that happened in the ESS race until tomorrow. Please pray for the entire racing community of fans, drivers, and families. Please be respectful in any comments."

I have no love for NASCAR or Stewart but the driver of the #13 made a dumbass move by deciding to run headlong into oncoming traffic, on a racetrack no less, and paid the price. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

There will be but a few wet eyes when Tony makes the appointment with the brick wall with his name on it.. G-D dirty racers!

It was dark. He was in a dark uniform. The car in front of Stewart almost hit him.
REALLY dumb move on the kid's part.

The race would have been red flagged as soon as the stationary car stopped facing oncoming traffic. Many drivers have done the same thing before. Getting out of their disabled cars to "confront" and display their displeasure with the offending driver.Tony Stewart included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

I think that given a night race and the amount of roll cage and steel protective cage in that car Tony never saw Ward.Ward was only 20 years old with a full life ahead of him. Likely caught up in the adrenaline of a big race and car wreck.

Very sad for everyone.

Last edited:
There will be but a few wet eyes when Tony makes the appointment with the brick wall with his name on it.. G-D dirty racers!

Really? This guy is one of the most prominent names in racing. He's owner of race teams. Few wet eyes? Some kid got his panties in a knot and made a dumb move and got out of a car, in a turn no less. Prayers go out to the family of the driver killed. He had a lot of life left to live. Tragic accident, lets not crucify Smoke

My brother is friends with Tony but I don't know if ANYONE will ever get the full truth of the incident. I had heard on the news that one witness/driver said that "Tony hit the gas when he passed by Ward and that with these cars are built to turn sideways when you hit the gas". If it is proved that Tony was just trying to throw a little dirt on him to say "Fuck You" and accidently hit him, I would think that he could be charged with manslaughter. But being Tony's position in Nascar and being famous, I am betting nothing happens to him. It sucks for the other drivers family for sure and Tony will have to live with that for the rest of his life. Bad situation no matter how you look at it.

My brother is friends with Tony but I don't know if ANYONE will ever get the full truth of the incident. I had heard on the news that one witness/driver said that "Tony hit the gas when he passed by Ward and that with these cars are built to turn sideways when you hit the gas". If it is proved that Tony was just trying to throw a little dirt on him to say "Fuck You" and accidently hit him, I would think that he could be charged with manslaughter. But being Tony's position in Nascar and being famous, I am betting nothing happens to him. It sucks for the other drivers family for sure and Tony will have to live with that for the rest of his life. Bad situation no matter how you look at it.

Impossible to see the real circumstances from this video. It's entirely possible that Tony couldn't even see Ward when this happened as there was a car right ahead of him that appeared to swerve slightly in order to miss Ward.

As for Ward being "spun out", that's racing. It happens to every car and driver sooner or later. Every driver that gets all butt-hurt over being spun out ought to take a moment and think about the times they've done it to others.

It's sad that Ward was killed but he would have been just fine if he'd stayed in his car and waited to "discuss things" with Stewart until both were in the pits and not wearing helmets.

The driver is an idoit. Dark clothes, at night, dirt track, on a turn.

Have any of you ever sat in a sprint car? You cannot see crap out of them.

Have any of you driven a sprint car? Turning isn't the easiest thing in the world either, especially on dirt.

Quite frankly if your going to run out on a turn during a race, in dark clothes, on a dark night, then I have no sympathy for your dumb ass, and I only hope you didn't have offspring.

One Three suffered from the same disease that so many other Americans do - they feel entitled. Mr Ward felt entitled to a position even though he did not control the line, then he felt entitled to have his hissy fit during the race. There is a lesson for all in there.

Is it sad? Sure. Did Mr Stewart do anything wrong? No.

This was the fault of the driver who got out of his car. My sympathies to his family, but what a fucking idiot... and he paid for it with his life. It looked like Tony was behind a car that saw the dude and got out of the way, and then Tony was unable to avoid the guy because he didn't have time to react. Either way, not on Tony, all on the stupid fuck who decided to flex nuts on a dark track in a dark suit. Darwin Award of the Year leader, right there.

Looks like he hit the kid on purpose, listen to the revs.

Sprint cars are designed to turn under power.

Odds are Stewart never saw the dumbass until the last second, thanks to the car in front, and the all black dress in a black dirt background at night.l, quickest way to make the turn is power on and crank it.

Sprint cars are designed to turn under power.

Odds are Stewart never saw the dumbass until the last second, thanks to the car in front, and the all black dress in a black dirt background at night.l, quickest way to make the turn is power on and crank it.

Yeah, that makes sense. I agree the kid was a moron for getting out of the car in the first place. Still sucks though, loosing a life for something so meaningless. I bet that Tony guy feels like shit.

The fool got out of the car, then walked all by himself into yellow flag traffic to do something to someone in a moving car.
Stupid move on his part, cost him his life. If there is anything a guy learns from any kind of four wheel racing, it is this:
STAY in the car until the safety crew comes to assist you out(this is of course exempt if fire or imminent danger are affecting the situation)
Darwin Award goes to Mr. Ward. Had he simply done nothing, he would have been fine

The while situation sucks. Kevin should have never gotten out of the car until safety crews were there. Stewart should have seen him and missed him.

It is tough there have been multiple times where I would check my gauges quickly and not see the track well. Since the track was poorly lit and Kevin wore the black suit and helmet he would be difficult to see if tony was not paying 100% attention to the track.

I think mistakes were made on both sides and unfortunately it cost a life.

I did not know Kevin Jr well, but before he raced at this level his father sponsored me. They are good people and this is a sad situation that hit very close to home.

The while situation sucks. Kevin should have never gotten out of the car until safety crews were there. Stewart should have seen him and missed him.

It is tough there have been multiple times where I would check my gauges quickly and not see the track well. Since the track was poorly lit and Kevin wore the black suit and helmet he would be difficult to see if tony was not paying 100% attention to the track.

I think mistakes were made on both sides and unfortunately it cost a life.

I did not know Kevin Jr well, but before he raced at this level his father sponsored me. They are good people and this is a sad situation that hit very close to home.

How the hell would Stewart have seen him, he was completely blocked by a car until the last second.

Edit, I watched the video again, Stewart had less then a second after the first car that damn near hit the idiot cleared to when he hit the idiot.

Tony Stewart is good, and it sounds like you've done some racing, tell me in a sprint car, with a helmet on, and neck restraints, at night, on a dark dirt track, probably with illuminated gauges, how long do you think it would take you to spot a guy dresses in complete black going probably 40 mph? And then react to miss the idiot, while the idiot is still walking towards you?

Last edited:
How the hell would Stewart have seen him, he was completely blocked by a car until the last second.
He may not have, I don't know I wasn't there. The video I saw it looked like stewart could have seen him. The white 45 car was a bit ahead of tony and may have blocked his view.

Edit, I watched the video again, Stewart had less then a second after the first car that damn near hit the idiot cleared to when he hit the idiot.

Tony Stewart is good, and it sounds like you've done some racing, tell me in a sprint car, with a helmet on, and neck restraints, at night, on a dark dirt track, probably with illuminated gauges, how long do you think it would take you to spot a guy dresses in complete black going probably 40 mph? And then react to miss the idiot, while the idiot is still walking towards you?

I have raced in 4 cyl trucks, then late models, and then NASCAR K&N series (old bush series cars) with full containment seat, helmet on, neck restraint, at night, on asphalt (pretty well lit), with illuminated gauges. If the caution is out I always try to look for people on the track. Never had someone come out of a car after me. There have been times during cautions that I would look down at my gauges and would not have seen anyone, or by the time I looked up I would not have been able to get out of the way. Honestly, I would hope that I saw him well before I got there because I was looking for the cause of the caution. In tonys defense I would probably have seen the spun car and thought nothing of it and then went to checking my gauges not figuring on the driver coming out to confront me.

We can do whole lot of if and but and be no closer to an answer on whether tony could see him. I honestly do not believe that tony saw him because if he did he would not have hit him.

Tony would not have hit him if he would have seen him, case closed.

A hot temper will get you sooner or later.

Thats a fact. Its cost me more than I care to think about.

Fortunately not as much as it cost Mr. Ward.

It's plain and simple. It's 100% the kid's fault. It's sad and tragic but to try and put the blame on Tony is ridiculous. If the kid never got out of his car, never ran down on to the track, never stepped in front of Tony's car, this never would have happened. The car right in front of Tony had to dodge the kid. Are we going to blame him for "almost" hitting the kid too?

TS pinched KW in a corner and KW stuffed his shit into the wall.
TS had a whole lap conceder if TW would be out of his car and looking for a confrontationion as TS went back by.

TS knows for a fact that a driver will get out of a car on a live race track to confront another driver.

TS pinched KW in a corner and KW stuffed his shit into the wall.
TS had a whole lap conceder if TW would be out of his car and looking for a confrontationion as TS went back by.

TS knows for a fact that a driver will get out of a car on a live race track to confront another driver.

Idiot shouldn't have been in a bad position.

Also I highly doubt idiot hasn't done the exact same thing. That's racing.

I immediately thought of this:

OKBABVu.png

Fk hotheaded Tony , he should have dropped to the bottom of the track instead of staying up high ,with his experience you can't tell me he wasn't looking towards the crash scene way before he passed back by it . Hope the only thing he drives next is bubbas cock up his ass In the pen

I can see both sides to this arguement, which will more than likely never be completely figured out.

It is tragic, and unfortunatley will probably have some consequences on racing (i.e. tightening down on rules).

Why would Tony Stewart, championship winning NASCAR driver and owner, give two shits about crashing out and pissing off some nobody in a dirt track Sprint car race in Nowheresville, NY?

He wouldn't.

Which is why thinking he intentionally hit the guy is beyond stupid.

Smoke lives and breathes racing - it is in his blood, its his hobby, his work, his family, HIS LIFE. He might have the reputation of a hothead but the guy isn't an idiot.

Looking back at the video, pone thing blatantly sticks out as a FLAG rule violation here:
As soon as the black car was facing traffic, RED FLAG should have been thrown, stopping any and all racing in position, not, as in this case a YELLOW which should not have been thrown.
Two blatantly stupid things happened. The kid made a Darwin Award winning decision, and the flag man did not throw the correct flag for the situation to shut the track down to prevent such an incident from happening.
This track rule is in place for most sanctioning bodies because some people get out of the car after having a severe enough shock to teh helmet to be walking mess, not knowing what they are doing, or being able to focus on what they are doing. As a driver, the imperative, neanderthal existance move is to get out of the car regardless of where teh safety crew is. In this case, the kid was seeing the racer's red mist and as we saw, made a tragic decision to walk into yellow flag traffic

having pretty much grown up at the race track one of the first lessons i got was dont go on the fucking track when the cars are going dads exact words. That is a run of the mill wreck for sprint cars it would go yellow every one drives around till the push truck gets it started or it goes on the hook. Would have taken no more than another lap from the looks of it kid probably could have kept racing with a quick run through the pits. Bad deal kid should have stayed in car it is hard to see out of the right side of those cars added in the darkness i think tony shit his pants hit the gas to go left and clipped him. But what the fuck do i know i just watched the video and guessing like everyone else.

I don't know sprint car, I do road racing with NASA Texas region. The flag station personal call this person a soft target on the track. The only time you get out of your car when it's on the track is when it's on fire. If it's not on fire you sit in the car until the wrecker gets there.

Ever notice if someone's favorite gets in the wall, the other guy is dirty driver, fag, etc, but when the favorite causes the accident, well, "that's racing."

Ever notice if someone's favorite gets in the wall, the other guy is dirty driver, fag, etc, but when the favorite causes the accident, well, "that's racing."
Ain't that the truth when I was helping it was never my drivers fault we always blamed the other guy

I hate NASCAR and am not a Tony Stewart Fan but can we really compare experience levels? Is it possible the young 20 year old just didn't know how to handle himself? Yes, Yes it is.

He's been racing since he was 5, he should know better, not getting out of the car should not only be common sense, but one of the first few lessons taught as well.

At those speeds, on a Race Track, the drivers are looking for cars, not people, their eyes and brain are reacting to the other cars the track, their car, etc.. I doubt if any professional drivers spend any time practicing "human avoidance at speed". I believe he was shocked to see (in the last 1/4sec) a human standing in the path of his car. I doubt he had any idea who the person was until he was told-it really happened that fast. I don't know Stewart, so I wont comment on how he feels or will feel-how in the hell could anyone make those comments unless they actually knew the man on a close personal plane? But, I'm sure he's sorry the death of a young man, I for one hold him in no way responsible, in fact one could just as easily decide it was suicide.

Freeze frame the video and watch the left front wheel and listen to the engine noise.