• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS Tactical nearly finished

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I picked up this .223 about 2 months ago and had it sitting around for glass and a stock. I know that it isn't a custom by any means, but it is what is and I should be able to wring out some accuracy anyways with handloads. I still have to bed it, which I may get around to doing tomorrow.

I put this together with the intentions of a walking varminter that could be taken to a 600yd range as well without problem. Plus I hope that the wife and soon the kids will be able to shoot it some.
    SPSTac.jpg

Re: SPS Tactical nearly finished

dave, if it is a factory barrel it is 20", and diggler that looks like what I'm building how did you get my idea before me
    wink.gif

Yeah its the factory 20" barrel.

Unfortunately for me with a wife and two kids to feed this is about as exotic/expensive as I can get. It is just the factory barreled action with a Leupy Mk4 0MOA base, and IOR rings, and a Mk4 4.5-14x50 with TMR which I got a heck of a deal on. Although, after reading Terry Cross' post I'm no longer as happy about my Leupold purchase as I was last week.

I appreciate the positive comments. I've got some bullets over here at the house an I'll be starting to work on a load for it this summer after I break it in a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 199thINF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of stock is that...looking for one myself...

Great looking rifle!</div></div>
    It's a McMillan A5

Yep McM A5 with spacer system. Sorry about the crappy pics, once I get out of the field towards the end of the week I'll try to get some better ones. I've been toying with the idea of Alumahyde in OD green on the barreled action and scope. I know that there are more effective coating products/methods out there, but I don't feel like dumping a ton of money into this project just yet.

I just pulled the barreled action and stock apart after bedding it the other day. Hopefully it will turn out to be a shooter. If not, I've always wanted to try out a Kreiger barrel.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Diggler,
    I would recommend refinishing the barreled action in something, be in alumahyde, duracoat etc. The rough, blasted finish tends to rust if you don't stay on top of oiling it. Other than that, my SPS is an f'in shooter.

so is the fore end on the A5 usable in the field off hand or is too wide and set up to be on a rest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is the fore end on the A5 usable in the field off hand or is too wide and set up to be on a rest </div></div>

It's Useable, but it is certainly on the wider side. If you ar elooking for something narrower, consider the A3 or A3-5 (A3 forend and A5 rear)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although, after reading Terry Cross' post I'm no longer as happy about my Leupold purchase as I was last week.</div></div>
    Link? Haven't heard anything about this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although, after reading Terry Cross' post I'm no longer as happy about my Leupold purchase as I was last week.</div></div>
    Link? Haven't heard anything about this. </div></div>
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1119938&gonew=1#UNREAD

Here it is.

Still can't hold a flame to your collection. Its what I can afford to put together though and should equal or beat the abilities of the driver behind it.