• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SPS Varmint 308 with 26" 1-12 twist - 175SMK ?'s

Crook79

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Fort Lawn, SC
I haven't begun to reload for my SPS-V yet but have tried several kinds of factory match ammo. I can't get a decent group with the federal 175gr SMK, and they seem to exhibit a lot of vertical stringing. For comparison, 168gr Hornady AMAX match consistantly yields .6" 5 shot groups for me...Do you think the long throat of the SPS may be causing the bad groups with 175gr? I am debating on whether I should even bother trying to get them to shoot when the 168gr are showing so much greater accuracy.

Re: SPS Varmint 308 with 26" 1-12 twist - 175SMK ?'s

Depends on how far you'll be tossing pills. Over 600 yards, most, it seems, will abandon the 168s due to potential stability issues.

Probably just that factory ammo. I doubt the long throat hurts it at all, lots of people with "deep throat" 700 rifles shooting 175 smk handloads.

Yea probably just not the best combo for your rifle is all.

YOu could still get 175smks to shoot, but it would require some load development to work out the optimal powder charge, and maybe even change the seating depth.

Whatever powder charge fed is using in their 175 GM, isnt the best for your rifle whereas the hornady factory ammo your shooting probably has a better charge.

Load development helps

Listen to Vman. He knows his stuff.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna keep shooting the factory Hornady stuff out to 600 yards and concentrate my load development on one of the longer range bullets(175SMK,178AMAX,and 155 Scenar). Hoping to find a combo that will carry me out to 1000-1200yards.

Just shot a 2.520" group @ 534 yards with my SPS Tac in 20" barrel using the 175 SMK's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen to Vman. He knows his stuff. </div></div>

Haha cheers bro
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shot a 2.520" group @ 534 yards with my SPS Tac in 20" barrel using the 175 SMK's. </div></div>

Gee thats alright in my books! The 175 SMK is a great projectile. For me its a tough choice between the scenars and the 175smk.

Once i get my hands on some new Type 2 .308 alpha mags, If i can manage to feed my long scenars loads from a magazine I will stick with them. If not i will move onto the 175smk, as they are just a tad shorter than the 155 Lapua.

^^^^ I probably going to try out some of the Lapua scenar 155 for long range stuff real soon here. Have you used any ? If yes how you like them?

They are notorious for being awesome!

They are 155grain so for obvious reason are a top choice in palma rifles.

They are very long, given their weight, have a length more common to heavier and longer projectiles.

They have a fantastic BC.

Due to their light weight, yet long build, they yield a large BC on a light bullet that can be fired very fast.

So compare this to the 175 smk... you have a similar bullet in some regards, yet it is lighter and shoots faster. I 155 Scenar can easily get 250FPS more than a 175 smk so you have a reduced lag time, but also bear in mind the 175 bucks the wind a bit better.

The scenar will stay supersonic beyond 1000 yards provided you shoot it at 2900 fps. Also an added bonus is that due to its faster speeds this bullet requires less clicks in elevation so for those that suffer a scope with small internals it may just have some added benefit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^ I probably going to try out some of the Lapua scenar 155 for long range stuff real soon here. Have you used any ? If yes how you like them? </div></div>

In my Remington Tactical the 175 was better. I could get them going 2550 while the 155 scenar was moving along at 2725ish. That was as fast as I could push the 155 before pressure signs w/imr8208. I used varget with the 175. Group size was awesome with the 175, near 1/2" at 100y and just under 1" at 200y. The scenar was shooting about 1" at 100y...

I didn’t play with the seating depth much with the scenar, it may shoot a little better with experimentation.