• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS VArmint Good Place to Start?

Blackmore

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
W. Central NH
I can get a NIB 700 SPS Varmint in .308 for $530 out the door (after rebate). Is this a good place to start a beginner build or are there better options available in that price range? I figure the stock and trigger group can be resold as I upgrade. Thanks.

Last edited:
For the price, there really isn't much better unless you go with one of the Savage rifles.
Typically, a bone stock Savage will shoot better than a bone stock Remington. Remington rifles just have an advantage in the aftermarket support/parts category.

Both will suit you well if you are just getting started.

Oops. Meant to type Varmint. Fixed.

Don't know where "Tactical" came from. Sorry for the switch, Jethro3898

The varmint and the tactical are both good rifles. Look to get about 100fps more from the 6 inches of barrel on the varmint using the same loads. A good stock and a little bedding around the lug, the contact areas around the action screw holes and maybe a new trigger (or spring with tuning if your comfortable with it) are about all one needs as far as upgrades.

I can get a NIB 700 SPS Varmint in .308 for $530 out the door (after rebate). Is this a good place to start a beginner build or are there better options available in that price range? I figure the stock and trigger group can be resold as I upgrade. Thanks.

My no. 2 precision rifle started as a Rem 700 SPS-V with a 26" bbl. I had it glass-bedded in a B&C A5 stock and mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA/MOA scope. It shoots like a house afire. As Jethro3898 wrote, your two best alternatives are a Rem or Savage. I have a Savage 116 with Accutrigger and Accustock in .30-06 that is my most accurate hunting rifle.

FH

SPS Varmint or the ADL Varmint are good base rifles. Chop it and restock in one of the take-off stocks here on the hide and you will come in at a decent price.

Its a great place to start, mine has evolved over the years to where it sits now- a true 1/2 MOA gun as far as I can shoot it. I also sold my stock, trigger group and scope on ebay when I upgraded, you'll get more than you expect (at least I did)

here is how it sits now:

replace the stock quickly though, it truly is a piece of crap. I modified my original to free float it and make it stiffer, it helped but the replacement was so much better

Yep, truly a great platform.
My #1 is remington 700 sps varmint, bell and carlson stock, badger detach magazine, USO 3.2x17.
going on 4000+ rds-still 1/2MOA when i do my part.

I have one in stainless 308 that I just cut to 18" it shot great at 26" but we will see how it does now! The main down fall is the 1-12 twist.

Great place to start, I did the same thing to get into precision shooting. As stated above, ditch the stock... that will be the best bang for your buck as far a upgrades go.

My forst precision rifle was a SPSV .308 It held 1/2 moa out of the box. I bedded it into a PSS take off stock and ran it for years untill last week actually.

I would start with a Savage (accutrigger) side bolt release if you are budget limited and want to do most of the upgrade work yourself over time, it will shoot better out of the box, however the Remington is not a bad place to start either.

The great thing about the Remington 700 Varmint is that you can change things out pretty easily if/when that time comes. Manners stocks as an upgrade would be a good easy step and when you need to rebarrel there are a bunch of good smiths out there.

Personally, if I could know then what I know now, I would have followed the advice of a lot of great folks here. After the rifle purchase I went to the local shop and got an ok Leupold scope. I should have saved my money and gotten a good scope. With the rifle you have and a great scope its hard to see how your money can be better spent other than shooting. A lot.

Personally I think some of the best deals going are found right here on SH. Look at the for sale forums for optics etc. My experience is that most of the members here take good care of their equipment so when they turn loose of it the item is generally in really excellent condition.

Best of luck and have fun

IMHO, the SPS-V is a great place to start. Just to play devil's advocate though: Depending on what you're using it for, the SPS Tactical AAC-SD with the 1-10 twist might be worth the extra $100-150 if you're going to be shooting heavier projectiles. Either way, you can't go wrong. There's a lot of stuff out there for Remington, so if you're still trying to figure out what you like/want in a rifle you'll probably be able to find what you're looking for.

SPS-V is where I started my precision shooting. I also had much help from friends. After a bit of trigger time, lots of dry firing, and even more reading. After I could out shoot the rifle.
I began shooting a GAP on the regular and decided it was time to send my SPS-V off for a face lift. It's now a full custom.

Get that thing, put a decent stock on it, bed it (unless going with a good chassis like McRees or Rock Solid etc), put some good glass on it and shoot the shit outta it!