• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPSTactical project 500/1000 yard RNG RPT 2-15-10

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    Well boys I got addicted to this site and now I am an official owner operator of the above mentioned rifle. In this post I'll tell you about what I have on the Rifle, how it shot the first day out, and where im going with it.

So here it is.
    [img:left]
    30tm6oo.jpg
    [/img]
    Remington 700 .308 tacitcal
    harris bi pod
    ken farrell base( i have his rings to ill explain later)
    leupold 1inch rings
    vortex crossfire 2.5x10-50 illuminated scope
    butler creek caps

Overall I thought the gun shot really well out of the box. My break in was down by shooting 1 and cleaning it through the first 5. then I shot and cleaned for the remainder of the first box and after the first box I hardly had any copper fouling at all so I switched to shooting 5 and then clean it for the second box and the third box I shot ten then cleaned. I have 60 rounds down the tube total.

All shots fired at 100 yards
    this was the first three shots that came out(not too bad)
    jzjmlt.jpg
    [/img]

this was by far my best group of the day at just about an inch
    28k6iva.jpg
    [/img]

this is what most of the groups looked like(about an inch and a half)
    ebctqx.jpg
    [/img]

and this is a six shot group that I pushed two flyers way outside from being too exciting about how the new gun was shooting
    2e1dawk.jpg
    [/img]

So for a first day out with the new gun and with my limited long gun experience it was quite productive. Just so you know I shot two boxes of black hills match in 168 grain and then finished with a box of the highly regarded federal gold match in 168 grain and next time out i will try 175's of both brands. Just so you know I didnt see big difference between the black hills and the federal.

So on to the project part.
    I currently have on order a all black Mcmillan HTG stock and a Bartlein #8 with 1x11.25 5r rifling with 6 flutes that will be finished at 20". I just got in the mail my badger detachable bottom metal. When I get all my parts in I will send this whole thing off to William at Louisianna presicion for him to work his magic through the assembly process. At the same time I will be odering a USO ST-10 fixed ten power scope which I will put on with the Ken Farrell Rings I have.

So let me know what you think. Any advise? and simalar experiences?

Re: SPS Tactical range report and project status.....

get the glass and good mount/rings and i would have spent all that money on ammo and some instruction on how to drive that rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So on to the project part.
    I currently have on order a all black Mcmillan HTG stock and a Bartlein #8 with 1x11.25 5r rifling with 6 flutes that will be finished at 20". I just got in the mail my badger detachable bottom metal. When I get all my parts in I will send this whole thing off to William at Louisianna presicion for him to work his magic through the assembly process. At the same time I will be odering a USO ST-10 fixed ten power scope which I will put on with the Ken Farrell Rings I have.
    </div></div>

well damn i was gonna say that my sps shot bout like that out of box. not good. then started getting better after 100+/- rounds. and to get a better stock and that helps alot, but looks like you got some good plans I'm damn jealous. can't even begin to afford a build like that

I think you're off to a good start. While waiting on the stock & scope (if ordering new and waiting) take the time and just shoot, practice and tune that trigger.

I bought my wife the exact same rifle and also put it in a McM M40A1/HTG ordered through JW Precision. I feel it has made it a more consistant rig. The flex in the fore-arm was enough to touch the barrel and cause some fliers. On top it wears a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 M1 LR though. I have an ST10 but it's on my rifle (and for sale).

It really likes 168 FGMM but we also tried Black Hills Match 168 and Remington Match 168 and just didn't get the same results as the FGMM.

DSCN0724-Copy-1.jpg

Stop cleaning so much and start shooting. They will do much better with the right ammo and practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop cleaning so much and start shooting.. </div></div>

Amen... You are cleaning it to death... Just shoot!!

DK

I bought an SPS Tactical earlier in the year for Coyotes..ditched the stock and got a B&C Medalist Varmint/tactical...a Farrell idustries G-Force rail, Burris Extreme rings, a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 scope, and 15 bucks worth of Krylon paint.

The trigger is a very crisp 4 pounds...I will trim it to 2 3/4 pounds like my work rifle.

This rifle shoots like a million bucks..consistently sub 1/2 MOA w/Hornady 168 TAP..even shot a 6 inch group off a bale of alfalfa at 650 yards!

I want to get a Leapold MK4 or Nightforce and a McMillan Stock but can't afford it right now..

I have a Shilen barrel for it but cannot justify any changes right now...hard to complain about one hole 100 yard groups!

here is the badger magazine kit

15i2fwo.jpg
    [/img]

I also spoke with MCMillan today and they are estimating my stock to be done in mid 1-10 and then Bartlien said my barrell will be done mid 2-10. I hate waiting for parts.

Can I have your barrel when your new one comes in? I cant justify or afford buying a new barrel when the factory one shoots .450 or better in a HS with FGMM.

Most of the SPS tactical I have shot all did very well, but that Hogue stock is crap, they are too flimsy in the fore end especially with a bi-pod on there they tend to throw errant fliers as the stock flexes and changes barrel contact points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Species</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I have your barrel when your new one comes in? I cant justify or afford buying a new barrel when the factory one shoots .450 or better in a HS with FGMM. </div></div>

I wish my factory SPS barrel was shooting like that!

ok ill bite. nice rifle. make sure you post pics when all done. im currenty building one myself.
    In my posession;
    MCM a-5
    Badger m5
    Harris bi pod

In the mail;
    Bartlein barrel 5r 11.25

need to buy;
    rem 700 short action
    trigger
    base rings and scope.( I actually have a MK 4 I will use untill I can afford another.)

Nice rifle. I've got the SPS-V in .308. I put it in a McMillan A4 stock w/ DD Ross BM and plan on ordering a Schneider barrel for it soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Species</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I have your barrel when your new one comes in? I cant justify or afford buying a new barrel when the factory one shoots .450 or better in a HS with FGMM. </div></div>

I wish my factory SPS barrel was shooting like that! </div></div>

Play around with the loads alittle, I have two that will do better than that.

My sps is shooting great. I was lucky to get 1moa with factory stock with fgmm (double bagged). I dumped that and put it into a aics. Had a few tweeking issues with tourqe but got that resolved. Anyhow, I lightened up the trigger and went up some weight on bullets after noticing it shot as well with federal fusion 180 grain as it did with fgmm 168's. I am now shooting 175 black hills. Took it out yesterday(almost perfect conditions) and without a rear bag off bipod shooting 1/2 moa. Even let the rangemaster shoot a few and he had them touching. To be honest all I care about is the cold bore shot. Yesterday it was dead nuts. On other occasions its been all over. I will keep shooting and checking that before I do any other work or upgrades. By the way glass is leupy 6.5-20 MK 4 has about 200 rds through it and its dirty as hell. cleaned once.

1 piece of advice...invest in some reloading equipment, when you get the custom put together you will be able to use it to its full potential. Ammo is expensive, reloading will pay for itself quickly if you shoot a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 piece of advice...invest in some reloading equipment, when you get the custom put together you will be able to use it to its full potential. Ammo is expensive, reloading will pay for itself quickly if you shoot a lot. </div></div>

Plus, you wouldn't wear a suit that wasn't tailored to you, so don't shoot ammo thats not tailored to your rifle. Factory has its pluses but handloads shoot lights out.

In my experience with sps: With the "beautiful" factory stock don't use the bipod, put the rifle on a sand bag, it will shot better.

BYE

Nice pop gun. This is the way I started but with SPS vermit. Of course, time on the trigger did the most for me and I shot cheap ammo for the first couple hundred rounds until I got fairly consistent (also making brass bones), I then went to GMM and was amazed how tight she shot.

As far as accessories, Rifle Basix trigger gave me the most help. It brakes crisp every pull unlike the XMark.

My barrel did not settle down until about 300 rounds. Then it shot nuts. I did not break in, I just shot it and after over 1200 rounds with 3 cleanings, she will still hang in the .5moa size.

I lucked out with my Rem 700P also, came out of the box shooting under 1 MOA, which was sweet. Can't wait to be able to dump some money into it like you and tighten up those groups.

I went back out to the range today for rounds 61-120. This time I decided to run some Black hills 175 grain ammuntion and from what you will see below I shot my best group to date with the gun.

Here she is sitting on the bench waiting for her work out to begin

21b8189.jpg
    [/img]

I put up a regular target and then covered it with shoot-n-c pasters. Everything in red is what I used to get on target and as you can see by the holes in red circles It started about 8 inches high from the 168 grain zero and 3.5 inches right from the center of the center paster.

2ivtpe.jpg
    [/img]

this is the best group of the day.

vhuutc.jpg
    [/img]

second best of the day

2mdkpdx.jpg
    [/img]

Another great day at the range for sure. Only 10 more weeks before I get my stock at which time I will put up a report on how well the gun shoots in the stock before bedding. Once that is done it will be sent off to LAP for tuning and barrel install.

In the mean while stay tuned I may go back out to the range berfore then for a little more practice.

sorry, but did you try it without the bipod shooting with the hogue stock?

and can you post smaller pics. scrolling back and forth looses effect.

It does and does not matter that much. I have two in shitty houge stocks that both will shoot at the very least that well. I'd venture to say that the shooters ability to hold the rifle still with the shitty stock as more to do with the inherant acuracy slump than it touching the bbl. It would be difficult to actualy nail down the cause with all the veriables involved. The fact is thats about par for the sps's I've seen and shot.

I recommend taking the online training here on the hide also. Just sign up, pay the ridiculously small fee (for the great info you get) plus you cant watch it over and over.

Also a good bipod (like the atlas) was a big plus for my shooting over the harris (ill never go back)

I use a rear bag, but shoot off the atlas everytime.

reloading is good, but the inital investment is not cheap. Until you get everyhing you need, im sure you will find good deal here on the hide on some good match grade stuff.

I cant belive Bartlein said Feb for your barrel. I would just order one from GA precision or a Brougton from APA if you are dead set on a new barrel. Im sure it would be less then a 3 mon wait. GAP

just made me a Bartlein and it took 3 weeks from start to finish.

Rangermac,

I have only shot this rifle off the bipod in the pictures. I will shoot a couple of groups off of a bag next time I go out to see if it makes a difference. And I will work on shrinking my pictures a little for you.

Beenja,

Thanks for the training information here on the site and regarding your bipod experiences. I have noticed that the harris isnt as sturdy as I was expecting it to be. Besides Accushot can you tell me who the other high quality manufacturers of bipods are. Bartliens lead time is long, but for me its ok as they build the barrel I am assembling the funds for gunsmithing. I have my stock being inletted for a #8 barrel does gap stock those?

Flyboy,
    Thanks for contibuting to my thread.

As always I make a plan to do something and once in the process I get more ideas and then next thing you know my plans change faster than a womans mood.

So here is what I am contemplating:

plan 1: continue as planned.

plan 2 thoughts: Reloading equipment seems to be next on my list of stuff to aquire as an enhancment to my current shooting stuff. So with that being said heres what I may do, I'm thinking that I may hold off on installing my bartlien barrel (on order ETA mid feb) and in the mean while I would take my rifle and have the action trued, then have a new chamber cut in the original barrel, have the barrel set back, then add a Surefire muzzle brake, a tac ops knob, and then buy reloading equipment.

If I go with plan 2 I think I can get into reloading faster and in turn I will save money on ammo. Not only that but it add another level of performance changes that may help another hide brother down the line. I do plan on finishing the rifle with a the new barrel and the whole deal though (or do i sell the trued barreled action keep the stock and get a surgeon RSR action for the new barrel mmmmmm).

If any one could tell me about there experience with any brake or specifically the sure fire I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Don't spend that money twice. If your gonna go through the process of having the action blueprinted, and the bbl set back you might as well get the new barrel. It really wouldn't cost much more. My suggestion is replace the stock, by reloading equiptment, and do the online training. That won't set you back nearly as bad and it will all be used in the end anyway. You'll be supprized at the acuracy that is coming outta these factory remmys. By the time you send a couple thousand down range, you'll have a much better Idea of what you would really like to do. Oh, and every chance you get, shoot with people that have the nice things you want so you can get a better look at them.

Good luck.

There has been a lot of good advice given and you are still on the right track though. I feel by the time your McMillan shows up the you will have had plenty of practice / trigger time and know what she really likes to eat.

From personal experience I would skip the action and barrel work only by the fact that your rifle appears to have the potential to be a good shooter to begin with. If it wasn't grouping at all and the chamber was in a bad way then I would go for it. Otherwise just keep practicing.

Also as mentioned above the Hogue stock will give you fits especially when shotting from the bi-pod. When you have a chance to shoot from bags play around some and set the bags as far back as you can. Then push and pull things around and pay attention to how much the stock flexes and how little it really takes to touch the barrel.

I found the X-Mark trigger in my wifes rifle to be very easy to tune. By the time I was done I feel it is as good feeling at the 40X trigger I had on my rifle. I'm not sure if all SPS-T's come with the external adjustable trigger or if it had anything to do with the final product but her trigger is awesome now. It takes a few minutes of tinkering & fiddling but was well worth it.

Adding the muzzle brake has helped some with managing the recoil for my wife as the rifle doesn't weigh a lot but it has added some bark. The me it isn't bad as I have shot next to my wife at the range and the muzzle blast isn't to bad but it does deflect more noise. It's all managable though. There is lots of debate about brakes on other threads. When I took it to a shoot last month I was sure to pick a position on the end of the lane and between strings asked the guys if the brake was an issue and got no complaints in return. So I guess everyone has an optinion if it's really a problem or not. It also depends on the enviroment too, loose dirt on the ground will cause a stir but on the concrete and plush grass where I shoot it's a non-issue.

Todd

good luck. I think with some trigger time and better bipod (or sand bags) you will see the groups get better

I finally got around to cleaning my rifle from the last outing at the range so I thought I would post a cleaning update for all the new kids. When I bought my AR a few months ago a buddy said get some sweets and run pacthes through it till the blue is gone. Thats all he told about cleaning. Well after my first trip to the range I spent 4 hours cleaning with the all mighty sweets with no hope it was ever going to come clean. Well I was using a brass brush that was leaving copper all over the barrel every time brushed it, two dry patches it looked good so I would try one more brushing and sure enough more copper. So another freind told me how to really do it and within 15 minutes he had it spotless. So here is what I have learned and hopefully for those of you who are like I was a few months ago this will help.

This first picture is of my cleaning supplies: I use a dewey rod and jag, pro shot bore guide(in the action)and precut patches, Sweet's 7.62(watch your eyes kids, this stuff is powerful), Mpro 7 cleaner and lube.

n4v31g.jpg
    [/img]

So the next picture is of a series of patches from start to clean. Starting on the left the column in yellow is sweets 7.62 the top was the first patch. After sweets I use two dry patches to which are designated by the orange box. After the 15 patches I didnt see much blue on the patches which indicates copper fouling so I decided to move on with Mpro7 cleaner to make sure I got all the carbon out, these patches are designated by the grey box and each wet patch was follow by two dry patches. after those 9 patches I run one more wet patche of sweets just to confirm that there wasnt any copper hidding under the carbon and as you can see there is a slight blue tinge to that patch so two dry ones and its done. The patch in the green patch is covered in oil to protect the bore during storage and I just run that straight through the bore guide and slowly push it all the way through.

So as far as steps go.
    1. push sweets till the second dry patch comes out clean no blue.
    2. use mpro or carbon buster to get all the black out.
    3. check again with sweets
    4. oil it

idyvf9.jpg
    [/img]

Lastly is a pic of my small parts kit. This little box is so handy I thought it may help any of you looking for something similar. I bought this tray at harbor freight and it stays in my range bag all the time.

6ozrqh.jpg
    [/img]

looks like a good start on the cleaning supplies. I think you may be obsessed a little to much with cleaning or I am missing something.

But more too you if that is what you like or need. still working on the picture size?

I would not say obsessed, just different views on what a clean rifle is.

IMG_1516.JPG

My Kryloned SPS...a definate shooter!

Rangermac,

thanks for watching my thread. In regards to your comment about my cleaning regiment I may be a little obsessed but let me explain maybe it will make sense to you. First and foremost when I get to the range I like my shit to shine, if its clean there is no reason it shouldnt work, and if it doesnt than I know its not from being dirty. Next, ammunition that is called none corrosive is still corrosive. Take a piece of steel, empty a 308 shell on to it and light the powder on fire. If you leave the residue there for a few days and then wipe it off you will notice where the burned was that rust has set in faster than in any other part of the steel. This is from the oxidizers in the propellant. Look at the first patch I ran down the tube from my picture above you can see a redish material on the patch which is basically iron oxide(rust). I do not like that stuff sitting in my bore especially when Im trying to squeeze every last tenth of an inch of performance out of the gun. And last but not least, My dad used tell me if you use my shit put it back how you found it. I used to borrow (more like steal) his guns to take to the desert and when i got back I had to clean them before I put them away. If i didnt he would know I had used them, and that meant big trouble.

Anyway im not at all saying what you are doing is wrong but I cant see how leaving it dirty is better so i just clean them.

I treid to change the picture size in paint and obvioulsy it didnt work any one know what other programs i can do it in?

Thanks

+10 for sweets.

that stuff is pretty hardcore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rangermac,

thanks for watching my thread. In regards to your comment about my cleaning regiment I may be a little obsessed but let me explain maybe it will make sense to you. First and foremost when I get to the range I like my shit to shine, if its clean there is no reason it shouldnt work, and if it doesnt than I know its not from being dirty. Next, ammunition that is called none corrosive is still corrosive. Take a piece of steel, empty a 308 shell on to it and light the powder on fire. If you leave the residue there for a few days and then wipe it off you will notice where the burned was that rust has set in faster than in any other part of the steel. This is from the oxidizers in the propellant. Look at the first patch I ran down the tube from my picture above you can see a redish material on the patch which is basically iron oxide(rust). I do not like that stuff sitting in my bore especially when Im trying to squeeze every last tenth of an inch of performance out of the gun. And last but not least, My dad used tell me if you use my shit put it back how you found it. I used to borrow (more like steal) his guns to take to the desert and when i got back I had to clean them before I put them away. If i didnt he would know I had used them, and that meant big trouble.

Anyway im not at all saying what you are doing is wrong but I cant see how leaving it dirty is better so i just clean them.

I treid to change the picture size in paint and obvioulsy it didnt work any one know what other programs i can do it in?

Thanks

</div></div>

Search on here. You'll find plenty of compelling evidence as to why cleaning can be worse than not.

In the end its still up to you.

little triva for you boys.

who is happier than a puppy with two peters.

I am. Mcmillan called last week and said my stock is done and it shipped out today. Keep your eyes peeled for a report this week on my new mcmillan black M40 A-1 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cc987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    IMG_1516.JPG

My Kryloned SPS...a definate shooter! </div></div>

I noticed your position on your rifle. Try laying straight behind the rifle and you maybe pleasently suprised on how much more control and accuracy you get. For more on that check out Lowlights training "Shooting with a bipod". With the postition your in now Ill bet you get alot of bipod hop.

I heard the ups driver a block over, and I got that warm fuzzy feeling . 20 minutes later a knock on my door and there stood an angel with long white box, Mcmillan was two months early. Im pumped.

Open the package and the stock was nice and secure. The paint is excellent no issues so I decided to put it together. The pillars that came with my badger mag kit dont fit in the holes drilled by mcmillan but I havent tried to massage them into position with hammer or anything I firgure ill let W. Roscoe do the final fitment. The screws badger sent were to long as well but im not sure if they will work once the pillars are in. Anyway with out further ado, heres my girl with her new stock and mag kit.

v2zm1x.jpg
    [/img]

I posted some thoughts earlier about which way I was going to go with this from here and I'm 98% sure im going with the original plan. I called bartlien and my barrel is not going to be ready till end of Janurary.

I will be taking a trip to range to see if there is much difference in accuracy between the hogue and mcmillan stocks and I will post a range report then.

Also I took the rifle out of the case today and notice some surface rust forming on the bolt handle and then on the firing pin shroud. I though it may be the factory coating and then i noticed a little of the same rust on the scope base. Any ideas how I got it?

Thanks for watching and contributing to my thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">notice some surface rust forming on the bolt handle and then on the firing pin shroud</div></div>

I get the same thing on my SPS. The factory bluing is worthless. Just buff it with some 0000 steel wool and keep the bolt coated with the best oil you got.

sorry, but this is not exactly part of the thread. I was wondering where u got that butt stock ammo holder and what they are call. Ive been looking but only can find the neoprene one without the zipper

DSCN0724-Copy-1.jpg
    [/quote]

Re: SPSTactical project& range reports 11-24-09

Well I went out to the range over the weekend and put another 60 pills down range and it was an awesome day.

As it sits rifle is in my Mcmillan Htg or M40 stock with badger bottom metal and no other modifications as of yet.
    Here are the two best groups I shot.

This one is a little under a half inch maybe 15/32's(thank you all in advance for telling me I need a micrometer)
    2sbpf7l.jpg
    [/img]

This next one is a little over a half inch maybe 9/16's
    jb2vww.jpg
    [/img]

Most of the other groups of the day were more consitent at about 7/8-1". I am super happy with the performance of this gun as it sits right now. But I still have parts on order and an appointment with Wroscoe (well not really a scheduled one, but more like as soon as I get my barrel from Bartlein)
    Speaking of Bartlien, I spoke with them this morning and they seem to think it will only be 2-3 more weeks before my tube is ready.

So keep your good peeled for the next update.

Well boys Slowing moving along.......

Here is the latest.

Barrel should be done any day. I got a new pelican case and the most exciting part, I ordered a USO ST10 with all the bells and whistles.... ill keep you posted

Nice!! I pick up the new SPS on Thursday and I have a Jewell trigger, MCM USMC Spec A4, Badger M5 and a USO ST-10 on order and should have everything put together by the end of Feb. Can't wait to get out and shoot. Found a good deal on some Federal Gold Match 168gr SMK and BH 175gr, so I need to shoot!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    This one is a little under a half inch maybe 15/32's(thank you all in advance for telling me I need a micrometer)
    </div></div>

Got a scanner?

http://www.6mmbr.com/ontargetsoftware.html

About as accurate as most will need.

deantargetx600.jpg