• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Spuhr Mount, Oil on Rail (Base) ?

Walt K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Clinton Twp. MI
Hello Members

Just got my first Spuhr mount. Reading the instructions it states " Apply a light coat of oil to the rail before attaching the mount."
What is the deal with that? Never hear of such a thing. Does anyone actually do that? Comments?

the idea is if you torque the base clamps down and everything is dry...the clamps can bind/stick unevenly, and even tho you apply torque to the base clamps, the clamps might not be fully gripping the rail properly if they bind before hand

if its oiled, it allows the clamp claws to slide and align without binding unevenly

buddy of mine asked hakan, and that was the response he got...they tested oiled vs unoiled different types of mounts, and the unoiled showed potential shifts when encountering impacts in the mounts tested

Last edited:
I always spray Hornady OneShot Gun Cleaner & Lube across the bearing surface of the picatinny rail before I attach any mount for the exact reason @morganlamprecht has outlined. Hornady OneShot does not leave an oily residue to collect dust or creep out later on.

Reactions: W8RZ