• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SPUHR vs. RRS mounts

SPUHR is known as one of the best scope mounts I know of. Really Right Stuff makes some nice tripods and now they are getting into the scope mount game. The RRS mounts look nice and are a premium price. How do the RRS mounts stack up to the SPUHR mounts?

Prior to RRS, my default mount was Spuhr. While I have purchased two RRS mounts, I have over a dozen Spuhr mounts, including cantilever versions which I use for my AR-type uppers. For evaluation, I swapped out the Spuhr mounts for RRS on my LWRC REPR .308 semi and DTA SRSA1 6.5/.308 bolt action. The LWRC has the hardest recoil in my collection (short of a 12-gauge), and the DTA system is my most accurate.

Fit and finish of the two are neck and neck. Spuhr is finished in matte, while RRS uses a more polished finish. The green bubble level of the RRS is easier for me to read than the white level of the Spuhr (though they offer a green one separately). RRS uses different torx heads for the rings and rail screws, while Spuhr uses a T-20 for both sets. Currently, RRS does not offer cantilever mounts, while Spuhr does.

In terms of retention, both mounts do an excellent job keeping a scope secured within their rings and on 1913 rails. While Spuhr uses 6 screws for each ring (for nearly all their mounts), the RRS uses 4, but both do the job well. I have found that using 15 lb-in for the rings of either system sufficiently holds all my scopes in place; Ive had problems with at least one scope when using more torque, though Ive never torqued rings so tightly that it deforms a tube. One potentially significant difference is the fact that the RRS rings are narrower than Spuhr's. This allows the RRS to fit scopes a wide turret housing or short tube sections between the objective and ocular bells.

Feature-wise, Spuhrs have multiple points on which to mount rails and accessories, while RRS has initially kept their standard offerings simple and clean. Whatever else you intend to attach to the scope mount will determine which brand meets your needs. For 99% of my use, a mount's sole purpose is to secure a scope to the rifle, and found Spuhr and RRS to work equally well.

Overall, I consider both brands as top-tier choices. RRS has not displaced Spuhr for my use, but offers an equally good alternative, and you can confidently buy either (or both). Having performed flawlessly, my RRS mounts have stayed atop my LWRC and DTA.

We have not mounted our rings on that model Schmidt yet, apologies.
For reference if anyone else has one and wants to measure: Inside ring length for Elevation/Windage knobs measures 3.17", total length of the mount is 5.14".

I was doing some measuring of one of my 5-25 S&B's the other day for some other mounts. Measured with certified Brown and Sharpe calipers my measurements are 5.0730" from the front of the illumination housing to the rear of the objective radius and 1.7715" for the turret housing from the edge of each radius portion front and rear. The mount is just a little too long to work with it.

For what its worth and I receive or ask for no free product from Spurh or RRS . I was a little put off a few years ago from Spurhs high prices but after the first one Ive never looked back and any odd ball application including a super high mount for a S&B 5-25 to clear the cadex chassis with a surgeon action, Spurh had a mount in stock to cover my needs.

Not to derail this thread but has anyone used or has experience with ERA-Tac mounts? They have a quick detach adjustable cant one (0-70 MOA). It appears to be well built. Only drawback is the price $620 in Eurooptic.

May I ask, when was this "long before" exactly? Arisaka opened their pages 2014.
Spuhr offered their indexing wedge already 2011, probably even before it.

2014 is THREE years before the RRS leveler in my quoted post. Context is everything.

Uh no man I dont think so and I been in this industry pretty long.

Cool, great post.

The 34mm 1.26" in 0MOA and 20MOA should ship out today. If they do not they will definitely go out on Monday.

The 30mm finished machining as well and going through QC and the anodizing process now.

Also, made our first picatinny mount the other day. I need some suggestions from you guys.
-For a short picatinny, would you like it 12 oclock or 45 degrees for the flashlights and RMR style optics. How long would your ideal short picatinny be for this use. 1, 2, 3 female picatinny channels?

-Longer Picatinny for LRF, 12 oclock of course. What do you guys think on length if you could have it to your dimensions?

Last edited:
Just ordered my 1.26 mount yesterday. On back order, but no worries for me I'm not in a huge rush. I like the Spuhr mounts but am interested to see/use the rrs.

So all of the 1.26" rings shipped and are now in stock! They were shipped with our normal scope leveler wedge included. When you receive it, if the wedge is to small for your turret housings underbelly send me a pm with your sales order number and I will send you out our new one once it is finished. Should only be about two weeks. We redesigned our rings to not need the base portion of the leveler kit, but still offer it for people with other rings that just like our design of the leveler.

Doing a little comparison shopping. Really would like to go with RRS. My tripop, ballhead and vice are bank vault solid. My challenge is meeting the following measurement's. Barrel is a Brux #5 contour sitting in a Manners EH1, Optic although not procured yet will be a 30mm tube with 50mm obj. Don't want to go over one inch.

I think Spuhr is still the gold standard for a tactical/ELR/PRS build, but they are over kill for a hunting rig. I definitely foresee RRS being a bigger player in this segment a few years from now.

We redesigned our rings to not need the base portion of the leveler kit, but still offer it for people with other rings that just like our design of the leveler.

Eh, details?

Also I noticed the website states 20in-lb min torque and 25in-lb recommended torque on the 4 pic rail screws - the manual says 15in-lb still; which is correct?

Eh, details?

Also I noticed the website states 20in-lb min torque and 25in-lb recommended torque on the 4 pic rail screws - the manual says 15in-lb still; which is correct?

15" is correct. I apologies for that error in two spots. I am in charge of the website as long as everything else and miss things at times. I will fix today! All the screws got redesigned to all be the exact same, so 15" across the board.

Thanks to this thread it looks like RRS is in my near future. I've been looking all over for a low 0 MOA mount and all i could find is one from Larue in 1.285. Gonna be real close with a 56mm objective with scope covers on an RPR. Anyone have one on their RPR with a 56mm objective in 1.26 centerline?

15" is correct. I apologies for that error in two spots. I am in charge of the website as long as everything else and miss things at times. I will fix today! All the screws got redesigned to all be the exact same, so 15" across the board.

So what are the current differences in the different 'revisions' of the mount? I picked up a 34mm not that long ago and was planning on a 30mm before the end of the year probably.

So what are the current differences in the different 'revisions' of the mount? I picked up a 34mm not that long ago and was planning on a 30mm before the end of the year probably.

Available are 34mm, 1.5"&1.26" in 0 and 20 MOA
30mm, 1.26" in 0 and 20 MOA

All of the 1.5" look the same on the outside minus a different sized jaw screw on the older ones, and all of the 1.26" look identical to each other. I am getting out some more photos online pretty soon of the 1.26" in 34mm and 30mm.

At a quick glance you wont really see the differences between the 34mm you have an d 30mm if you buy that. The weight relief cavity on the front in back of the 34mm are gone on the 30mm due to shortening the overall height.
TheOE800 In the first picture you can see a slight angle above the RRS logo on the 1.26" installed. That is the redesign for the leveler so you don't need the square base when using our mount. Plus our new leveler wedge is a lot wider so it will not tip easy since you aren't using the base. About half the wedges are in the machine the other half is at anodizing.

EDDK9 this is a picture of our 1.26" 20MOA with a 56mm ATACR on our AX AICS chassis. When I put the caps on they can touch, will be a little better with the 0 MOA.

Hope this answered all questions.

Attachments

• photo71809.jpg
    photo71809.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 102
  • photo71810.jpg
    photo71810.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 108
Got it, you built the ramp angle into the mount for your wedge, instead of perhaps a slot like some other mounts.

Does the leveler system work with an optic such as a Steiner M? The knobs are visually larger than most and don't leave much room on both sides.

Does the leveler system work with an optic such as a Steiner M? The knobs are visually larger than most and don't leave much room on both sides.

The leveler should work on any scope or mount. If using our 1.5" mount you will use the base and leveler wedge. If using our base and wedge with separate rings you put in the two set screws that will firmly hold it against the picatinny and use the slot in the base to guide it level. On the new rings, same operation minus using the base.
http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/Scope-Ring-Leveler

Last edited:
Understood. The problem would lie with the 1.26" 0MOA mount and the knobs covering the base on the Steiner M. I'll take some pics later and post them.

I ran into an issue like this with a Razor 2 and Spuhr mount and you're kinda fucked since the slot is permanently located. With the RRS, I slid the base forwards or backwards relative to the knob for clearance.

I ran into an issue like this with a Razor 2 and Spuhr mount and you're kinda fucked since the slot is permanently located. With the RRS, I slid the base forwards or backwards relative to the knob for clearance.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't get it to work with the 'Ariska' system, but it looks like RRS uses a more low pro approach to their wedge. I reverted to feeler guages, instead.

Attachments

• IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 83
The current mount is 1.285" centerline. The 1.26" will be close...

Attachments

• IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 60
I ran one on my SWAT rig for a few years. It did everything I asked of it and has a very clean appearance. The one thing I didn't like was the clamping plate seemed to not look like it was fit to the rail...like it was kicked out a bit. No problems but just always thought that odd. The luminescent bubble level is a nice little feature (I know, I know...it's a crutch/not on the scope/whatever). The RRS is a very nice mount with some well thought-out features. I don't think you can go wrong, but I like the wider selection of the Spuhr's.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Bringing this back! Who has had some good time on the rrs now? Very interested in one of these two options for my zco. Both offer 20moa which is nice.
I have 3 RRS mounts at this point. All have been tits. No issues. No problems, levels are accurate and my ELR guns have all been winners.