• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Squib load, got it out!

Lol, that hydraulic fluid will give me at least 200 fps I bet. So basically it’s a 6.5 PRC now. 😉

I’ll report back on how she shoots!
Glad you got it. It's happened to many of us and it sure does make your stomach fall out when you realize what it is....

I was taught to look over each round with a flashlight quickly to make sure they all had powder and I didn't miss one, and I still did it.... you can bet I shook the rest and listened.

Reactions: verdugo60
Success!!! Drilled out the back of the bullet very carefully using a collet made out of thick tape. We purged the grease gun of air again and gave it 3 quick pumps and the lead core went shooting across the room! LOL.
I fuking said point it 45deg down angle into a bucket, with some rags in it !! Catches the grease and the stuck bit of lead.

The weird shadow or smudge in your barrel is lead smear. DONT scub the shit out of it. Just a "normal" clean, then you are good to go.

Often relieving the pressure off the core works, which is why you DONT drill it close to size, incase you slip and scratch the rifling.

Well done. Dont do it again

Got out to shoot it and it’s showing promise but not quite as tight as I would like. 5 shot groups between .57”-.81” adjusted for bullet diameter (100 yards). So it’s averaging about 3/4 moa without having finalized load development. I’m glad the barrel’s not ruined! Hopefully I can get it down to 1/2 moa with decent SD’s by a little more tweaking. Not bad for a 12 lb Hunter I suppose!

FAA0BDCF-C32A-47EF-A155-955972ED1114.jpeg
EE8358EA-3EF0-406C-8368-162C1E4100DA.jpeg

Got out to shoot it and it’s showing promise but not quite as tight as I would like. 5 shot groups between .57”-.81” adjusted for bullet diameter (100 yards). So it’s averaging about 3/4 moa without having finalized load development. I’m glad the barrel’s not ruined! Hopefully I can get it down to 1/2 moa with decent SD’s by a little more tweaking. Not bad for a 12 lb Hunter I suppose!

View attachment 7819465View attachment 7819466
Have you done any seating depth work with it yet?

Have you done any seating depth work with it yet?
Not much, mostly powder. My earlier (shorter) rounds actually showed more promise before I stuck the bullet, jumping it might tighten things up a bit. I haven’t messed with seating depth tests much to be honest, have you guys had good luck with those?

Not much, mostly powder. My earlier (shorter) rounds actually showed more promise before I stuck the bullet, jumping it might tighten things up a bit. I haven’t messed with seating depth tests much to be honest, have you guys had good luck with those?
Oh yeah, it's a huge difference. You can either do big jumps in 4 groups or do a ladder with .005 per or .010 per and then dial it in further.

Oh yeah, it's a huge difference. You can either do big jumps in 4 groups or do a ladder with .005 per or .010 per and then dial it in further.
I literally had a note in my data book to do a seating depth test next, lol. I’ll probably try in .003 increments as EC suggests. Will report back here if anyone’s interested.

I’m an idiot. Let’s just get that out of the way first. Doing a ladder test on a 6.5 Creedmoor proof carbon barrel, I didn’t powder the case. Primer shot bullet into lands about an inch and a half from the back of the breach, including chamber. Bullet is a 140 ELD-M.

1. Tried tapping, then ramming it out with a cleaning rod. No luck.

2. Tried a steel rod next. No dice. Really hammered on it (idiot).

3. Tried tight fitting brass rod from the hardware store after soaking in penetrating oil. No luck.

4. Rigged a 5/8-24 fitting into threaded muzzle in an attempt to use hydraulic pressure and blow out with a grease gun. Ruptured 2 grease gun tubes, hasn’t moved.

I’m guessing with the hammering from the muzzle end the bullet has expanded, making it even more tightly stuck.

Any ideas or a smith that could take this on before I send it to PROOF and beg for mercy? This barrel was just starting to show promise and I’ll be really bummed to lose it. View attachment 7816485View attachment 7816486
Not sure how it will work for you if the slug is jacketed but Ive removed jammed .457 cal. lead with the help of a long ream undersized by about 1/8" from Home Depot plumbing department. It drills out the center 90% then you have to chip/tap away the remaining ring. Food grade silicone gel helps protect the barrel and makes everything slippery enough to get the remaining ring out easier. Alcohol will clean out the silicone. I have learned a lot the hard way.

Not sure how it will work for you if the slug is jacketed but Ive removed jammed .457 cal. lead with the help of a long ream undersized by about 1/8" from Home Depot plumbing department. It drills out the center 90% then you have to chip/tap away the remaining ring. Food grade silicone gel helps protect the barrel and makes everything slippery enough to get the remaining ring out easier. Alcohol will clean out the silicone. I have learned a lot the hard way.
It’s out but thanks, might help someone else out that stumbles on this thread.

Jump test. Start way back. Something like 0.075" jump. I bet around 55-62thou jump you find a sweet spot.

Follow a process you agree with. You said cortinas, ... Sounds good.

Have or know anybody with a powerful air compressor? Instead of using the grease gun get a male air adapter for the hose connected and adapt it to the 5/8-24. Fill the void with water and then hit it with air. You need a lot of PSI for this to work. But drilling out the center may be easier if you have a drill press.

Maybe try putting some CLR down the muzzle. Might be able to eat enough jacket to rod it out?
I foresee this approach coming nearer expelling the bullet with a LOT of velocity as opposed to a slow push IMO. YMMV

Another potential- even though the bullet is is out.
Ferric Chloride- test the steel.
Or vinegar-
Given time you will eat the copper away leaving the lead and steel bore.
Review "cold etching copper".

Never had this issue, but glad I read the content in this thread. A lot of helpful info that will come in handy. It's not a matter of if, but when. Glad you were able to "save" your barrel.

Stand the gun up muzzle up squirt a goodly amount of 3 n 1 down the barrel, let sit overnight, tap out with rod with patch on the end . Works for me

I always check with the room lighting when the cases are in the reloading trays and check every case when it's placed in the press. The light mounted to the press makes quick inspection very easy before placing the bullet in the case. Well worth the price

20201023_011003.jpg

I’m an idiot. Let’s just get that out of the way first. Doing a ladder test on a 6.5 Creedmoor proof carbon barrel, I didn’t powder the case. Primer shot bullet into lands about an inch and a half from the back of the breach, including chamber. Bullet is a 140 ELD-M.

1. Tried tapping, then ramming it out with a cleaning rod. No luck.

2. Tried a steel rod next. No dice. Really hammered on it (idiot).

3. Tried tight fitting brass rod from the hardware store after soaking in penetrating oil. No luck.

4. Rigged a 5/8-24 fitting into threaded muzzle in an attempt to use hydraulic pressure and blow out with a grease gun. Ruptured 2 grease gun tubes, hasn’t moved.

I’m guessing with the hammering from the muzzle end the bullet has expanded, making it even more tightly stuck.

Any ideas or a smith that could take this on before I send it to PROOF and beg for mercy? This barrel was just starting to show promise and I’ll be really bummed to lose it. View attachment 7816485View attachment 7816486
I'm scare to death of doing this, and more scared of the consequences if I miss it somehow and put another round through.

I ALWAYS take a flashlight, after charging the shells, and inspect every one for the powder load. Takes not time at all, and calms me. So far, so good, Please, Lord, let it continue!

I'm scare to death of doing this, and more scared of the consequences if I miss it somehow and put another round through.

I ALWAYS take a flashlight, after charging the shells, and inspect every one for the powder load. Takes not time at all, and calms me. So far, so good, Please, Lord, let it continue!
The chances of not powdering, firing, and proj getting stuck far enough down the barrel that you can chamber another round is almost zero.

The primer does not have enough pressure generation to push the proj near on 2" into rifling. You wont be able to chamber another round.

In theory possible, but have never heard of it happening, let alone seeing it.

Even a 9mm pistol wont do it.

The chances of not powdering, firing, and proj getting stuck far enough down the barrel that you can chamber another round is almost zero.

The primer does not have enough pressure generation to push the proj near on 2" into rifling. You wont be able to chamber another round.

I have done it in 308 and 223 and never even had it drive the bullet out the case. I had to pull the bullet to find out, no powder in the case.

Thanks, iceng....... That is definitely reassuring and good to know. I'll keep checking my charges just out of habit now and to save me from embarassment, perhaps, but will worry a lot less. Happy trails!

Reactions: iceng
For anyone interested, I think I figured out how this happened.

I use the A419 funnel system on my Dillon 550. Auto Throw into funnel at station two, bullet in station 3, similar to this photo. H4350 bridged, only dropped a few kernels of powder I'm guessing and so it was more than just a primer that ignited when I fired. That's why the bullet was stuck so good, it was more than a primer. I caught another one that didn't get charged because of this issue and am considering how to address this because it's obviously not good.

10fd8cc4-3aae-4766-a845-cff6ec531514-jpeg.7121744

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Thanks, iceng....... That is definitely reassuring and good to know. I'll keep checking my charges just out of habit now and to save me from embarassment, perhaps, but will worry a lot less. Happy trails!
SO, not to make it hard to sleep, but..... I shoot 308. I hand load. I have light neck tension. 175g, sellier and bellot primer. I have been told "it had to be a mischarge as a primer can't launch the round" Well, in my setup it CAN! The only extra item in my setup is I use MOLY. Perhaps that changes the entire equation?? Anyway, I had my first squib in my bolt gun (~3500 rnds of reload in this rifle). the bullet went 1/2 way (almost exactly) down the barrel. If I was in a competition, I "might" have loaded another round. The good news is, I was on the bench. I heard "Pfummp" instead of "bang". Minimal/no recoil. I am 99.99% sure it was an empty cartridge. I hand weigh EVERY powder charge for the final grain after dispensing to within 1gr on an RCBS unit, so if i put poweder in, it was very close to the right charge. so I waited about 3-5 seconds and when I lifted the bolt, it sprang back into my thumb with significant pressure. My brass is fireformed, perhaps this is the second item that lead to this. I tried a pig on a cleaning rod. that didn't work, but i didn't hit it hard. I bought the boretech squib adapter, put it on my cleaning rod, used a normal size hammer and after 3-4 wacks (more than a tap :) ) it started moving and once moving, it came out quite easily. bore is cleaned, it "looks" ok to the eye (no borescope), so i hope to get to the range again soon.

stuck bullet.jpg

Not in a rifle round it wont. The one I saw in a 357 locked up the cylinder because the bullet didn't make it all the way into the barrel. But a CCI250 wont budge a bullet in a 308. Ask me how i know. :ROFLMAO:

If it drove it halfway down the barrel, there was powder.

I’ve had two no powder loads (both within two weeks of each other to boot) with a 450 in a dasher and a creed and on one the bullet stayed in the case and on the other it moved it an inch or so into the rifling. Both had the base all sooty but the bullets ogive was clean unlike the OPs example

Last edited:
I’ve had two no powder loads (both within two weeks of each other to boot) with a 450 in a dasher and a creed and on one the bullet stayed in the case and on the other it moved it an inch or so into the rifling. Both had the base all sooty but the bullets office was clean unlike the OPs example
thats not soot, its moly.

Reactions: spife7980
we carry in our range kit an anodized aluminum rod just thin enough to go down the barrel along with a wood rod for the same purpose and a dead head hammer for stuck bullets we only needed it one time so far but to help others at the range it's been more than useful .

SO, not to make it hard to sleep, but..... I shoot 308. I hand load. I have light neck tension. 175g, sellier and bellot primer. I have been told "it had to be a mischarge as a primer can't launch the round" Well, in my setup it CAN! The only extra item in my setup is I use MOLY. Perhaps that changes the entire equation?? Anyway, I had my first squib in my bolt gun (~3500 rnds of reload in this rifle). the bullet went 1/2 way (almost exactly) down the barrel. If I was in a competition, I "might" have loaded another round. The good news is, I was on the bench. I heard "Pfummp" instead of "bang". Minimal/no recoil. I am 99.99% sure it was an empty cartridge. I hand weigh EVERY powder charge for the final grain after dispensing to within 1gr on an RCBS unit, so if i put poweder in, it was very close to the right charge. so I waited about 3-5 seconds and when I lifted the bolt, it sprang back into my thumb with significant pressure. My brass is fireformed, perhaps this is the second item that lead to this. I tried a pig on a cleaning rod. that didn't work, but i didn't hit it hard. I bought the boretech squib adapter, put it on my cleaning rod, used a normal size hammer and after 3-4 wacks (more than a tap :) ) it started moving and once moving, it came out quite easily. bore is cleaned, it "looks" ok to the eye (no borescope), so i hope to get to the range again soThanks

Thanks for sharing, and glad you caught it. I've heard multiple stories of the primer squid and shooters being aware enough to catch it and stop. I worry about this because I'm older and my "catcher" is a bit slow at time.........fear blowing a barrel up. As much as I'd like a blown barrel for my collection of crappola, don't want to make my own!

I'm a reloader, too, don't shoot anything I don't load except for the cheaper 223, 5.56, 22LR. 9mm and such. Long ago tried to make it a hard habit to take a flashlight and after charging all of a 50-rack of shells, checking them for the powder loads before pressing in the bullets....... over time I've caught just a couple of empty shells, and always breath a sigh of relief when I do.

Reactions: TC.TURTLECREEK
As others have said, in my experience a primer alone won’t send a rifle bullet into the rifling. It’s just a mild pop and when you pull the bullet it’s smoky.

A primer+5-10 grains of powder will stick it GOOD!

“Shoot it out”. Of course this was a joke and a horribly dangerous idea, bulged barrel at best. But what if you used say 1F black powder? Just like breach seating, only deeper. Fill from the bullet to the throat with powder (assuming it isn’t way down the bore) then chambering a case filled with the same. No air gap, no barrel bulge.

I need to get a rifle I don’t mind ruining to text the theory. lol

As others have said, in my experience a primer alone won’t send a rifle bullet into the rifling. It’s just a mild pop and when you pull the bullet it’s smoky.

A primer+5-10 grains of powder will stick it GOOD!
i just have no real ability to imagine how that would happen in my process. i can clearly understand how i put nothing in a case, based on my process. i wish i was willing to try it again intentionally, but as others have said, i am not. at the end of the day, whether it was primer only or a few grains or a full cartridge with a misfire or....getting it out is the most important element and in my case, with the boretech adapter, it was an easy process, much to my relief.