• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SS HD 5-20x vs Nightforce 5.5-22x

ls1mtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
Fort Myers, FL
Ok, I know right now there is the awesome $500 off deal but what happens when it expires... That will bring the SS 5-20 back to $1,500 and right around the corner at $1,700ish will be the standard Nightforce 5.5-20. I'm talking non zero stop etc. Nightforce,apples to apples do you think the SS will have what it takes to hold it's own against Nightforce? Of course this is all opinion since non of us will have a SS 5-20 in our hands for a little bit except Jon A. and some others that have been lucky enough. So for conversation purposes can anyone tell the future of the SS?

Re: SS HD 5-20x vs Nightforce 5.5-22x

Your question is about 30 days early, only 3 people that I know of can even pretend to have an answer to your questions and they already have. Go see what Jon and Frank have written already and you'll know as much as everyone else.

Now, as for the apples to apples comment, it's not. You can't compare the $1500 SS to the $1700 NXS. The Nightforce that is close in price does not have FFP or an easily adjustable illumination. The FFP Nightforce only has a 15X top end right now, so at $750 or so more for that one at retail it's still not apples to apples.

All reports indicate that the SS will do just fine against the Nightforce, I don't think SWFA is worried.

The real question for JasonK is are you going to sell all your Hensoldts and buy 20 of the SS at the discounted price, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real question for JasonK is are you going to sell all your Hensoldts and buy 20 of the SS at the discounted price, lol.</div></div>

no he will only buy 10 of them but they will only be around for 6 months and then he will be rocking the new latest and greatest. You can' always count on jason to try out the newest products for us and then regurgitate them back to us for sloppy seconds when he is done with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real question for JasonK is are you going to sell all your Hensoldts and buy 20 of the SS at the discounted price, lol.</div></div>

I've ordered two....selling the Hensoldts will come after I have them in hand.

Reports of the few people who have the SS 5-20 leave little doubt that it's a great scope. However, it should be interesting to see what happens with the price of it after the coupons expire.

One can only postulate, but I don't think they can keep it at the $500 discount price for long since it would undercut several of the other SS optics. The SS 3-9 has non-HD glass and is $600. The SS 10x42HD is $800. If you have a 5-20 with HD glass that's only a couple hundred dollars more with a LOT more features, I think it will severely undercut sales of those two SS scopes.

However, putting it at $1500 going forward; well, it will have a bit of competition at that price. Given the amount of SS 5-20 HD scopes that will flood the market at a newly purchased price of $1000, the second-hand market for the scopes will probably be quite a bit less than retail price. It wouldn't surprise me to see SWFA have a regular sale on the 5-20 HD at around $1299 or so. There doesn't seem to be much competition in that price range for a scope like this. When you get up to $1500, however, people will be comparing it to new and like-new NF, even if they are a SFP optic.

If we were talking a 2.5-10 optic, I'd be inclined to agree since there's not much missing from an SFP optic in that range. However, in the +10 magnification range it's harder to compare FFP to SFP scopes and think of it as an apples to apples comparison. You can't range at 13.4X with an SFP unless you are a math genius, but anyone can with an FFP.

And even if that is a less likely use, there's always the more useful ability with an FFP scope to use the reticle to make shot corrections. As long as people are comparing only FFP scopes, the SS 5-20 will be pretty competitive even @ full price. In that range, with those features, there aren't many competitors...a couple IORs, maybe the Vortex Razor.

In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class. </div></div>

He was talking about the Vortex Razor glass I'm pretty sure not the PST series. The Razor glass is HD glass as well if I'm not mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class. </div></div>

He was talking about the Vortex Razor glass I'm pretty sure not the PST series. The Razor glass is HD glass as well if I'm not mistaken.
</div></div>
That's my understanding. I did a long read through all of lowlights posts in the group buy thread and he specifically mentions it in one of his posts that it's the razor not he PST glass he's refering to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class. </div></div>

</div></div>
That's my understanding. I did a long read through all of lowlights posts in the group buy thread and he specifically mentions it in one of his posts that it's the razor not he PST glass he's refering to. </div></div>

Thank you for the clear up!!

Guys like you need to learn how to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys like you need to learn how to read.
</div></div>

Excuse me... show me where he said it then hot shot!!! No need to be a dick! Sorry my search fu isn't as good as yours and I didn't find it in the 3 different SSHD 5-20x posts that are over 16 pages! Would you rather me post a "What scope should I get?" post?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys like you need to learn how to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the video that Jon A made he says that the glass of the SS is on par with Vortex and others in it's class but at the full price of the SS at $1,500... it's a long way from the Viper PST class. </div></div> </div></div>

That was uncalled for as it was just a simple clarification that needed to be made. You should have just not replied rather than crap on his thread.

It was Frank that posted his video, not Jon A. And, Frank posted after the video that he was in fact referring to the Razor...