• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ss media vs ultrasonic

Stainless takes ur chamfer away so be careful seating ur VLDs as they may get bitten if you forget to put ur chamfer back on. But I don't even use my ultrasonic much anymore at all. Stainless tumbling is just as easy and does a better job.

I used an ultrasonic for the first time last weekend...hated it! Took a few warm cycles to get it done. Yes, it cleaned well but had to replace water/cleaner a few times for batches and had to keep coming back to reset timer. Can't speak to SS media but I am definitely picking my normal tumbler over ultrasonic from now on.

I use SS as well. I wash them 3 times, once initially before depriming, then after sizing and trimming, then a quick 10 minute tumble after chamfer/deburr just for good measure. It's time consuming but my brass looks like new every time. If I chamfer and deburr when I resize it will round the edges and eat my Berger jackets a bit, hence the last tumble.

I used an ultrasonic for the first time last weekend...hated it! Took a few warm cycles to get it done. Yes, it cleaned well but had to replace water/cleaner a few times for batches and had to keep coming back to reset timer. Can't speak to SS media but I am definitely picking my normal tumbler over ultrasonic from now on.

Which ultrasonic cleaner model do you have? I like mine from bullets.com works great, I set the timer to 50 min and im done. I put it in a food dehydrator to dry out and then load it up.

Used to use a sonic cleaner it works decent doesn't clean primer pockets worth a flip. Just got the Frankfort arsenal stainless tumbler and it's awesome! Alittle loud but I set it over night and then turn it back on for like 15 minutes the next morning to stir up the water in case the dirty water settled then I wash it all of good. Like mentioned before I do another short tumble after sizing and chamfering usually don't even use he pins just tumble it to get the lube off the cases. I'd definitely choose the stainless steel over the sonic cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Hornady Magnum ultrasonic cleaner. I run five 15 minute cycles stirring the brass around each tme for even cleaning. My solution consists of a heaping teaspoon of Lemi-shine and two capfulls of the Hornady concentrated cleaner in 3 quarts water. Necks and primer pockets come out clean and cabon free, but not shiny. Follow up with a submersion in rinse water and shaking each case free of excess water. Then a trip through the induction annealer which finishes drying the cases all the way.

I can see the apeal of SS pin tumbling as it is a set and forget process, albeit for 2-3 hours for most folks.

I've done both, and I no longer own an ultrasonic. The ultrasonic routine I followed required changing the water multiple times and didn't clean primer pockets well at all. The SS setup I now use is very simple and straightforward, and it leaves the cases looking like new.

Stainless.

fetch

Attachments

• photo48804.jpg
    photo48804.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Stainless, I can clean 200 pieces of 260/6.5 creed/6creed size cases in an hour.
Separate the media and lay on a towel.
Clean as new.
A splash of lemon shine and a squirt of dawn dish soap.

R

Not to hijack the thread, but what's the best SS tumbler to get?

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Stainless, I can clean 200 pieces of 260/6.5 creed/6creed size cases in an hour.
Separate the media and lay on a towel.
Clean as new.
A splash of lemon shine and a squirt of dawn dish soap.

R

Based on your 1hour clean results, I might just try pins+tumbler if my ultrasonic ever gives up,

Had a couple vibratory tumblers. Now have a Rebel 17 kit from STM and kept one of the vibratory. I deprime the brass, do a quick swipe of the primer pocket with the pocket truing tool to do a gross cleaning then toss them in the stainless for 2-3hrs. Rinse 3 times, anneal if its due then do the sizing and trim. Run it thru the vibratory to get rid of the sizing lube and such then load.

I've had'm all. The only one I've ever gotten rid of was the ultrasonic. If I "had" to only have one? Stainless hands down. You'll figure out all the nuances in short order.

I use SS for my bulk .223 and pistol brass but for precision rifle I prefer to leave a little carbon on the inside of the necks. Seating bullets on squeaky clean necks isn't near as consistent as necks with some carbon on the inside. I recently bought some used brass that had been cleaned in SS and lubed the bullets wth graphite and seating was still hard. Think I'll try lubing those necks with some one shot and see if that works.

I tried ultrasonic but it seems to leave the cases tarnished looking. I wondered if it was degrading the metal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I bought one of the harbor freight US cleaners just to see how it was. Glad I did not go expensive because between running multiple cycles, changing out water/cleaner, rinsing brass then air drying, it was a pain.
I also agree about the carbon on case necks...a little makes seating much smoother. Throwing in tumbler with walnut/polish and returning 2 hours later still working for me.

There's no "inherent" advantage from one cleaning to another, just a different set of processes you have to do.

IE reply above said follow up your SS tumbling with chamfers.

Ultrasonics disadvantage would be case capacity.

I would like to get an ultrasonic machine in the future for my parts like dies, bolts, etc.

+1 on the rebel 17. Really nice. Everything is super over the top thought of. There's cheaper out there. But this is designed specifically for reloading. It really does a nice job. It's in its second generation so many improvements made it a lot better I guess. I only have the gen 2 so I can't really give experience in the first gen.