• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Staball 6.5 loads.

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
I've got some staball 6.5 powder to play with. The rifle is a R700 in 6.5 cm. Hornady brass, CCI large rifle primers and Hornady 140gn ELD-M bullets. Overall length is 2.8 inches. I started at 40gn and worked up to 44gn in .5gn increments. My best group was at 40.5gn. Has anyone else tried staball 6.5?

Last edited:
I've got some staball 6.5 powder to play with. The rifle is a R700 in 6.5 cm. Hornady brass, CCI large rifle primers and Hornady 140gn ELD-M bullets. Overall length is 2.6 inches. I started at 40gn and worked up to 44gn in .5gn increments. My best group was at 40.5gn. Has anyone else tried staball 6.5?
I've loaded it but haven't shot it. 43.8 is book max for my 147 gr eldm. I started at 42 i think, then went up in .2 increments. I loaded a ladder test for my chrono but haven't had time to put the new barrel on and shoot it.

Just got 2 lbs since 4350 and RL16 are running low. RPR with 140ELD in Lapua brass and was going to start at 41 to about 44, so ill be following.

Your COAL is 2.6” with 140ELDs?
Non-SAAMI chamber?

went yp to 43.6 saw a few decent loads with 6.5 stabal none were where I wanted to be speed wise even up to 43.6 gr But at slower than 2600 i got some nice groups even if not all of them had great looking numbers . I did get confused by the numbers when I switched neck tensions went from 3 thou to 1.5 and to a .5 as I did the sd's got worse and speeds dropped I have to try this again when I get the chance over all if you can work with a slower speed it's not a bad shooting powder but not my favorite powder of the bunch we were able to get . best of luck to you and your loads .

Reactions: Jscb1b
@8pointer uses 43.8 with his 140gr Manbun loads.
Very good shooting load.

I used it in my old barrel at 44.0 and it worked great.

Tried it in my 6-BR with 105 Match burners. Got 2815 with a 26" barrel.

Used the same cases with the incorrect neck bushing that increased neck tension by a huge amount.
Accuracy was the same, but velocity went up to 2880.

Totally crazy response from the powder. Seems that it might prefer to have higher neck tension which will create an earlier peak pressure and give more velocity.

It would be fun to play with a pressure test barrel to verify this.

@8pointer uses 43.8 with his 140gr Manbun loads.
Very good shooting load.

I used it in my old barrel at 44.0 and it worked great.

Tried it in my 6-BR with 105 Match burners. Got 2815 with a 26" barrel.

Used the same cases with the incorrect neck bushing that increased neck tension by a huge amount.
Accuracy was the same, but velocity went up to 2880.

Totally crazy response from the powder. Seems that it might prefer to have higher neck tension which will create an earlier peak pressure and give more velocity.

It would be fun to play with a pressure test barrel to verify this.
Staball is awful I would recommend anyone considering using it stop. Just stop. It's a a marketing gimmick don't fall for it guys. Please don't buy.

Staball is awful I would recommend anyone considering using it stop. Just stop. It's a a marketing gimmick don't fall for it guys. Please don't buy.
Guess I will load another test series with a different powder before I head to the range then in case the 6.5 staball doesn't work so good.

40gn
20210930_173028.jpg

Reactions: DubfromGA
My 26" barrel puts 41.gr out at 2690 fps @ 850' elevation.
140gr Bergers

I will run the 40.5gn over a chrony. I'm not seeing pressure at 44gn. I wonder if stepping up in 0.2gn would get me to a high node.

I will run the 40.5gn over a chrony. I'm not seeing pressure at 44gn. I wonder if stepping up in 0.2gn would get me to a high node.
Only one way to find out. I might increase where I stopped with my chrono test though. Can't remember where I stopped

Your development will be based on your goals. You wanna chase faster than chase it.
We have no say in that.
My only advice is the chronograph...
It's a pretty good tool for development but you already know that.
I pulled my last information on Staball development and added the picture.
I use 3 round groups but you get the point.
@ 41. Grains printed .1566 moa group.
Yesterday I fired 2 more groups over the chronograph just to post you some updated information.
At 6 rounds the s/d was 4.5 and velocity at 2684.5.
If you compare it to the original development chart those numbers are holding strong through 7 reloads.

Keep good information and it will serve you well.
Shoot safe.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_055035232~2.jpg
    IMG_20211001_055035232~2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20211001_054904316~2.jpg
    IMG_20211001_054904316~2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: themightytimmah
aaaaaaaand looking at those pictures you can't see shit. Lol
Sorry, I tried.

Guess I will load another test series with a different powder before I head to the range then in case the 6.5 staball doesn't work so good.
Sorry I thought my sarcasm was thick enough and maybe caught the tag of my name in the post above from shooting buddy. Staball has been fantastic for me across multiple rifles. I was merely echoing so much of the insanity on the early Staball threads that went insane down the rabbit hole of meaningless arguing for the sake of arguing. 'But how does it shoot?' was rarely answered. I've shot so many 8lb jugs of it thousands and thousands of rounds it in temps from the 40's to 90's(South Florida) in barrels from 22" to 26" out to 2k yards. I'm currently getting 2785 out of a 26" with 43.8 and 140 hamBerger Hybrids. I pretty much sit at a mile and it's fanfreakintstic for me so I'd say have fun with it and give it a shot. Had I listened to half the garbage in the early release posts I'd of never even bought any, but luckily a buddy convinced me to try it. I run 43.8 and have zero pressure signs I merely stopped there b/c it was my tightest group in the .3xx range. Sure I could likely squeeze more velo and keep SD/ES/gropus, but It's not going to change the day for enough for me to mess with it. No trickling and I drop within .02 when I occasionally do some test drops. I resize, deprime and prime in one cycle, wipe off, chunka chunka chunka 50 cases and seat to hard jam....yup hard jam and shoots like a mofo. Literally my load dev on newest barrel was do a quick pressure test walk up to where my powder measure was set. Shot 2 each 5 shot groups and swung out to 1k and waterline was absolutely perfect. Done.

Last edited:
Your development will be based on your goals. You wanna chase faster than chase it.
We have no say in that.
My only advice is the chronograph...
It's a pretty good tool for development but you already know that.
I pulled my last information on Staball development and added the picture.
I use 3 round groups but you get the point.
@ 41. Grains printed .1566 moa group.
Yesterday I fired 2 more groups over the chronograph just to post you some updated information.
At 6 rounds the s/d was 4.5 and velocity at 2684.5.
If you compare it to the original development chart those numbers are holding strong through 7 reloads.

Keep good information and it will serve you well.
Shoot safe.
Thank you for your response. I was getting hung up on speed. 75 to 80 fps more don't mean nothing.

Sorry I thought my sarcasm was thick enough and maybe caught the tag of my name in the post above from shooting buddy. Staball has been fantastic for me across multiple rifles. I was merely echoing so much of the insanity on the early Staball threads that went insane down the rabbit hole of meaningless arguing for the sake of arguing. 'But how does it shoot?' was rarely answered. I've shot so many 8lb jugs of it thousands and thousands of rounds it in temps from the 40's to 90's(South Florida) in barrels from 22" to 26" out to 2k yards. I'm currently getting 2785 out of a 26" with 43.8 and 140 hamBerger Hybrids. I pretty much sit at a mile and it's fanfreakintstic for me so I'd say have fun with it and give it a shot. Had I listened to half the garbage in the early release posts I'd of never even bought any, but luckily a buddy convinced me to try it. I run 43.8 and have zero pressure signs I merely stopped there b/c it was my tightest group in the .3xx range. Sure I could likely squeeze more velo and keep SD/ES/gropus, but It's not going to change the day for enough for me to mess with it. No trickling and I drop within .02 when I occasionally do some test drops. I resize, deprime and prime in one cycle, wipe off, chunka chunka chunka 50 cases and seat to COAL. Literally my load dev on newest barrel was do a quick pressure test walk up to where my powder measure was set. Shot 2 each 5 shot groups and swung out to 1k and waterline was absolutely perfect. Done.
Yeah I totally missed that. Glad you eared that up for me. I was going "well, how the heck am I going to find another powder again", I guess I can try accurate 2025 ".....

I was actually waiting for the "send me all you got for proper destruction..." line.
I haven't bought that much of it yet because I didn't know if it would work but it's one of the powders I can get my hands on a good amount of so I'm sure hoping it works well for me. I hope it work for 6cm too but between TAC, Accurate 2025, imr 4064, and the 6.5Staball, I think one of em should work ok.

Yeah I totally missed that. Glad you eared that up for me. I was going "well, how the heck am I going to find another powder again", I guess I can try accurate 2025 ".....
I'm sorry sometimes I forget the sarcasm meter doesn't always work as well unless you are in front of someone. I think it's worth a try I've had tremendous success with and and so has buddy.....if not send to me for immediate destruction!

I have 10 pounds, the shit is GOING to work.
Yeah I totally get that. I almost bought an 8lb jugs today without even knowing for sure that it will work for me... I'm afraid once I know it will work, I will go back and there won't be anymore to buy. I settles for a new Nosler book today....

I am going to run the 40.5gn load over a chronograph tomorrow. I'm also shooting a new test series out of a different 6.5. SicVic is right, I don't need to chase FPS.

I'll be watching for the numbers you post.
Always fun to see what others get.

Speed has its place but if it doesn't fit with the type of shooting that you'll be doing primarily than it just becomes kind of a waste in my opinion.

I've worked up some hunting loads in my 18" Cross with StaBall. Pretty satisfied with the accuracy and velocity overall, RL16 is probably still my favorite 6.5 powder, but StaBall is coming in a close second.

IMG_20210309_073215613~01.jpg
IMG_20210523_222514429~01.jpg

IMG_20210628_080727353_HDR~01.jpg

Reactions: DubfromGA
Is it possible this thread is solely for those that couldn't get H4350?

🙋‍♂️
Considering I was using StaBall long b/f there were any kinds of powder shortages not at all due to availability. In point of fact sold 16 lbs of 4350 to shooting buddies and swapped a half jug for half jug on remaining once I switched. For me it was super easy....better velocity with no pressure signs all the way up to max charge and no trickling. Oh and less expensive? Yes please. Sometimes you get lucky and powder works for ya.....so far it's been money in RPR, Bergara and now Proof 26" stainless.

Last edited:
Is it possible this thread is solely for those that couldn't get H4350?

🙋‍♂️
Nah, I dropped H4350 for RL16 during one of the earlier shortages and found it superior in all aspects. I did start using StaBall more because RL16 has been gone for over a year, and StaBall has been regularly, albeit not constantly available in spite of all the supply chain disruptions and foreign production restrictions that jammed up my favorite Alliant powders.

Reactions: Halfnutz
This is all good to hear. I started with Staball due to availability and gave up on finding 4350 so I haven't even tried it.
4350 is a great powder too so I wouldn't *not* try it if you can. You never know it might have some smidge of magic for your barrel that is better than Staball....ya just never know til ya try.

4350 is a great powder too so I wouldn't *not* try it if you can. You never know it might have some smidge of magic for your barrel that is better than Staball....ya just never know til ya try.
If I run across any I will for sure. Last year I was pretty fortunate to have a local place have a bit of Staball so I stocked up.

Considering I was using StaBall long b/f there were any kinds of powder shortages not at all due to availability. In point of fact sold 16 lbs of 4350 to shooting buddies and swapped a half jug for half jug on remaining once I switched. For me it was super easy....better velocity with no pressure signs all the way up to max charge and no trickling. Oh and less expensive? Yes please. Sometimes you get lucky and powder works for ya.....so far it's been money in RPR, Bergara and now Proof 26" stainless.
I'm pretty dang happy with what I'm seeing g so far with staball. 43.3 - 43.7 groups well and only 9 fps different in that .4 gr range. No pressure signs.

Here is my Staball load that I shot today, COL is 2.821 with 44 grains of staball, didn’t get a chance to chrono but will next time, it’s was great when it comes to accuracy ! 4 shot group In pic below

Attachments

• 7177BD13-C4DD-4B18-9448-2CA12DAA24F4.jpeg
    7177BD13-C4DD-4B18-9448-2CA12DAA24F4.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I’ve been using 43.3 gr of staball with 147 eld-m for a few years now with great results in my SP10. Just started playing with 135 a tips and 140 eld so don’t know a good load for those yet though.

I’ve been using 43.3 gr of staball with 147 eld-m for a few years now with great results in my SP10. Just started playing with 135 a tips and 140 eld so don’t know a good load for those yet though.
That's exactly the load i shot today. I'm about to do a little seating depth test. Trying to figure out the best way to do that actually.... I plan to go shoot out to 600 tomorrow and check dope and put it in my kestrel. Don't know how many of each depth I should make , but I want to have at least 40-50 rounds to shoot tomorrow