• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

StaBall Match Testing - 77gr Reloads, Chasing mk262

Western Powders published load data claims 62,145.

Used the softer 7 1/2 instead of mag primers to watch for any signs of pressure during work up but none in two different barrels.

The Labradar stats were read at the muzzle...my other chronographs set @ 15 feet would reduce the velocity somewhat. I'll dip into the memory card and see what the loads did @ 15 feet.
7.5’s are hard as hell and can be subbed for magnum and semi auto primers.

No, but I was expecting to see some well before the max load...probably won't stay at max but was curious to see what Labradar would show...

The REM 7 1/2 are tougher and hotter than say CCI 400 more like the 450’s maybe hotter. They have same cup thickness as 450’s which is I believe is .025

I just loaded up some test rounds with StaBall Match, since 8208 is not available. I used new prepped Starline brass with a 77gn SMK and CCI 400 primers. I started at 23.4 gn going up .2gn until 25.2 gn. Now I get to take of the 1-8 NX8 and install my trusty 6.5 x 20 Nikon varmint scope so I can shoot groups. The Nightforce covers to much of the target to test loads.

I just loaded up some test rounds with StaBall Match, since 8208 is not available. I used new prepped Starline brass with a 77gn SMK and CCI 400 primers. I started at 23.4 gn going up .2gn until 25.2 gn. Now I get to take of the 1-8 NX8 and install my trusty 6.5 x 20 Nikon varmint scope so I can shoot groups. The Nightforce covers to much of the target to test loads.
You should be right in the ballpark between 25.2-25.8

Reactions: MJF
In the quest for a Mk262 duplicate load, I am playing around with the new Wincheste, and since 8208 XBR is impossible to source StaBall Match powder. Early reports indicate that it is very temp stable (less than 0.82fps per degree of F), which is unusual for this type of powder structure.

The two guns being used for the test have the following barrels and recoil systems:

1. PRI Douglas 16" Mk12 Mod H, mid-length gas system, Geiselle 42 carbine buffer spring, and H3 buffer.

2. CLE Bartlein 18" Mk12 Mod O, rifle-length gas system, Sprinco green rifle spring, and Noveske A2 buffer.

Both guns are shot and chronographed suppressed with a Surefire RC2, with data captured on Magneto Speed V2.

The goals for this powder:
1. Fast, able to get mid 2750fps in winter temperatures

2. Temp stable, so that those of us in NH and similar states can use the same load year round without pressure issues in the summer or extreme velocity swings.

3. Easy to source, compared to something like 8208 XBR

4. Accurate is a must. I have slower Varget loads and good 8208 XBR loads that shoot 3/4 MOA out of both guns.

Bonus Goals:
1) Consistent metering, ideally to run from a Dillon 650 powder dispenser versus RCBS Chargemasters or similar

2) Low gas blowback, similar to 8208

As testing begins and continues, I will report progress here in the thread.
Ok, So I have a similar interest in these loads. Did you notice your SMK seemed a bit crunchy even at 24.6gr? I did a load ladder about a week ago with some 77gr Nosler CC, didn't notice if there was any crunch, but now I do notice it. I too didn't notice any over pressure signs, and my velocities were around what you were getting. This time around I'm trying 75gr Hornady hpbt, 77gr Nosler cc, and both 77 gr SMK and TMK.

Last edited:
Crunch? Coming from a Black Powder shooting sport, crunch is good. 😁

Seriously, the target will tell. If the groups are good and pressure signs are acceptable, run with it.🤘

I’m dealing with some new bullets that don’t have big money backing, so load data is pure Wildcatting. The target, base of cartridge, and chronograph are what I’m watching. Right @Gingerman? ❤️ The Hammers!

Ok, So I have a similar interest in these loads. Did you notice your SMK seemed a bit crunchy even at 24.6gr? I did a load ladder about a week ago with some 77gr Nosler CC, didn't notice if there was any crunch, but now I do notice it. I too didn't notice any over pressure signs, and my velocities were around what you were getting. This time around I'm trying 75gr Hornady hpbt, 77gr Nosler cc, and both 77 gr SMK and TMK.
Def crunch at 24+ gr with varget or 8208. Not as much with StaBall. I find the ball powder like a bit of compression.

The CLE chamber has a shorter freebore than the Wylde chamber. I suspect the Wylde chamber would be more tolerant of higher-charge weights prior to pressure becoming a problem.

Def crunch at 24+ gr with varget or 8208. Not as much with StaBall. I find the ball powder like a bit of compression.
Thanks, I double checked the charge weight just to be sure I didn't mix some numbers up. I will chrono and check cases.

Reactions: NHPiper
So I've tested up to 25gn of StaBall Match and so for my gun likes 25gns. I was having a hard time getting used to the 4lb RISE trigger compared to the 15 oz Jewel it replaced. Overall I like the StaBall. My best group was .590 and the worst was .840. Velocity average was 2659 fps. This is a CLE 14.5" upper with a fluted Krieger and the CLE chamber. I'm going to load up to 26gns and give them a try. I'm not really chasing velocity, mainly accuracy. My load with 23gns of 8208 runs 2687 fps, so not much faster with the same accuracy. This gun is a hammer at 400 yds. I need to get out to a longer range.

I ran x15 of the loads through a 12.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel and got decent velocity, just under 2492, SD 19 fps, with no pressure signs. Pretty interesting. Not the best SD but would work on a gas gun for 500yds and in.

Last edited:
I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong with this powder but I can’t get it to group at all.
I'm having the same issue. Velocity and SD are great, but accuracy is mediocre to poor through my three precision oriented ARs. They're all lasers with Varget and 8208. Planning to do some more load development to see if I can improve.

The Staball does seem to work great in a .223 bolt gun that I have.

Reactions: NHPiper
I'm having the same issue. Velocity and SD are great, but accuracy is mediocre to poor through my three precision oriented ARs. They're all lasers with Varget and 8208. Planning to do some more load development to see if I can improve.

The Staball does seem to work great in a .223 bolt gun that I have.
I understand this is what I’m getting with 75 BTHP, hornady brass, CCI 400s. Just for reference. This group is with Frontier 75 match with the same gun, same range trip.

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpeg
    IMG_7188.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7161.png
    IMG_7161.png
    759.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-07-14 13:26:16.309580.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-07-14 13:26:16.309580.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 63
It's interesting to see folks winding up in the 25.2gr range for this powder with gassers, as I wound up in the 25.1gr range in my bolt gun running Norma brass and 75gr ELDs long. Might have to play around in that range with ARs as well. I'm really digging this powder in my bolt gun, just like the 6.5 version in .30-06 and Creedmoor, a not insignificant factor being that I can actually buy it when I need to.

I wonder if folks having trouble getting it to shoot as well as stuff like 8208 or ARComp might have better luck turning their gas down some. My SFAR is gas sensitive with that silly 4 position block and trying Staball Match in it, it was pretty apparent that I'm getting higher port pressures than AR-Comp for similar speeds. Earlier unlocking might be affecting accuracy if you've got your rifle set up for something like 8208.

I started playing with Staball Match in my 223 gasser and 308 bolt after reading this thread and have also had weird issues. So far doing charge weights from 24.4-25.4 with 223 and 77gr SMK has produced the smallest group of about 1.5". On the other hand built a 308 load with 168 RDF's, 46.3gr, 2.8" COAL, 2802 with ES of 11 (descent) shot .3-.4" 5 shot group. Shot a rifle match with temps in high 80's to low 90's and 2 stages in gun opened up and couldn't hit anything after first 2-3 shots. Then halfway through the match I had 2 primers pop and stuck the ejector back so I put the rifle up.

223 is using CCI 41's and 308 was using CCI 250's as they were more consistent getting good ignition with large case fill. I will be switching the 308 over to CCI 34's but I don't want to cut into stash of BR-4 and BR-2 for my primary match guns.

The bullet has exited the barrel before the bolt begins to unlock.

Has the bullet exited the barrel before any dynamic responses to a different pressure pulse entering the gas system can possibly have an effect on the barrel + gas system + BCG assembly? It's been a while since my materials and dynamics classes, but I'm not that confident that it has.

That said, I haven't worked through that engineering analysis myself though, maybe you have. Subjectively my over gassed rifles have tended to shoot better with the gas dialed back some. For folks who are having accuracy problems with Staball in known rifles, maybe it's worth turning the gas screw a bit before counting the powder out.

Last edited:
Back-pedal much?

back-pedaling.jpg

Pedantic much?

You got me, I should have said "Larger area under the pressure curve in the gas system, earlier in the cycle". Foolishly I thought "earlier unlocking" might get the idea of turning the gas screw down across, more succinctly.

To the real point though, have you done any of your accuracy tests with a rifle over gassed, turned the gas down and re-tested with the same ammunition (All things equal, maybe an ejection pattern change from 1 to 4 o'clock)? I'd be interested to hear your results, but I don't think the implication that there's no accuracy impact to gas tuning, simply because the bolt hasn't unlocked before the bullet leaves the barrel, is particularly sound from a mechanical systems viewpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: PappyM3
To add some additional data points, I did some initial load testing with StaBall today. Rifle is an 18" CLE Wylde rifle gas MK12, OCM5 supressor, LC uniformed brass. Temp was 50°. Five round groups as follows:

25.0 grains:
2702 fps, SD of 10
.55 moa

25.1 grains:
2721 fps, SD of 8
.80 moa

25.2 grains:
2721 fps, SD of 11
.80 moa

25.3 grains:
2716 fps, SD of 18
.58 moa

25.4 grains:
2740 fps, SD of 27
1.39 moa

No pressure signs on any of the charges. I did notice when I was loading them that 25.4 grains was starting to crunch, which is probably why I was getting erratic velocity at that charge weight. Looks like I'll focus some more development around 25.2 and possibly play with seating depth a bit.

The groups all opened up some on my second go-round when I pulled the magnetospeed off the gun, but that may have been me.

Overall the powder seems promising. It meters nicely out of my Uniflow, but is filthy compared to 8208xbr, so I'm not sure that it's converted me. Nice that it's at least available.
Old thread obviously, but please confirm that this is regular Staball & not the Match version?

Thanks.

MM

You're right. By "regular" Staball, I meant 6.5 Staball, of course.

Many thanks for the correction.

MM

Reactions: PappyM3