• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I toss them in a vibratory with corn cob and wet the media with water, Dawn, and lemishine. I spray the media down out of a old windex bottle. I only use the SS media for cleaning after firing the brass at the range.

TN-MadDog:
I would call Thumlers and direct them to this post of you drum wabbling. I have seen lots of Model "B" in action and that is the first time I have seen one run like that. Looks like your drum is out of sqaure.

Email them that link to you tube and I am postive they will make it right.

Terry

Tumbling to remove sizing lube should work. I don't do it because I don't want to have to dry the brass twice. You might have to increase the dish detergent a little. Dawn is really good for cutting grease and oil.

Terry, just curious but in the picture you show of your brass at the beginning of this page it appears you didn't deprime. Were you just in a hurry?

This was a bunch of PPU brass I picked up off the range. It had a red primer sealant and for some reason the Lee decapping die would not puch them all the way out! So, I tumbled them all clean and just ran them thru the Dillon and pulled the decap pin out as far as I could! I always decap prior to running my brass but this was a excpetion.

New poll results as of 1/6/2001 at 5:00pm EST

1-6-2011poll.jpg

Picture of said brass prior to cleaning:

DSC01363.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I wasn't rinsing enough, but that wasn't the case. Right now I don't have any discolored brass as I took the discolored brass and ran them through my vibratory cleaner. When I resize and clean my .308 Nosler brass I will post a pic after I clean and let them dry.

Or I might do some on my crap FGMM once fired brass and see what I get tonight. </div></div>

Are you getting all the media out completely before you dry them? The only time I've had really dramatic bronze looking discoloration was when I had some media left in one of the cases while the batch was in the dehydrator. I'm guessing there's some reaction if you leave them sitting together in a moist environment too long. </div></div>

Yeah, all of the media is out. I use a RCBS media separator filled with water to get all my media out.

I just put a small batch in to see if I can replicate the brass discoloration after it dries.

Understand. I could the red sealant around the primers. Thanks for the reply, and all your efforts to help everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I toss them in a vibratory with corn cob and wet the media with water, Dawn, and lemishine. I spray the media down out of a old windex bottle. I only use the SS media for cleaning after firing the brass at the range.

TN-MadDog:
I would call Thumlers and direct them to this post of you drum wabbling. I have seen lots of Model "B" in action and that is the first time I have seen one run like that. Looks like your drum is out of sqaure.

Terry </div></div>

My thumler model b runs just like that out of the box....

Let me know what you find out if you call thumler, I might do the same tomorrow morning.

same here.

My drum wobbles all over as well. I don't much care if it isn't going to hurt anything.

Just pulled my new high-speed model B out of the box; I'm running it empty for break-in. She's a real beauty.

Drum runs perfectly straight and true --- I'd send it back if it wasn't. The Tru-Square company always had a good reputation for complete customer satisfaction in the past.

Ran my first batch of .223 this morning, 2nd is tumbling now...this is the only way to clean brass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bacarrat:

Did you replicate that discoloration?

Terry </div></div>

You know once I say that, the brass comes out perfect. I think, but I am not sure, is that when I let them dry on the plastic loading trays, it will air dry with no marks since the brass is not touching one another. I don't know.

Next time it does it, I will post some pics. Or maybe I will try 2 different drying methods. One in the loading trays and one batch in the plastic loading bins.

Just FYI, I ordered some media from the STM guys, assuming they and Suasponte's guy were one and the same. I got my media, in a reasonable time frame, and it works like everyone says--one big difference in this media, or possible difference batch to batch maybe is that it is NOT magnetic, the batch I got is NOT magnetic. This defeated a portion of my intended SOP, which would have used a magnet for pick up/clean up during the seperation process--no go on non-magnetic obviously.

I hope we continue to learn from this thread, and maybe new ones as well, on better methodology for cleaning such as this, and better types of media etc. Thanks to Suasponte for his support in that regard.

One addendum: Last night on a whim, I reweighed my Lake City brass that I had tumbled and it lost one whole grain of weight per case after tumbling with stainless steel... I guess I left a grain of burned powder residue and tumbler dust in them using corn cob media in my vibratory tumbler. Anyone else see similar results?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aerodynamic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One addendum: Last night on a whim, I reweighed my Lake City brass that I had tumbled and it lost one whole grain of weight per case after tumbling with stainless steel... I guess I left a grain of burned powder residue and tumbler dust in them using corn cob media in my vibratory tumbler. Anyone else see similar results? </div></div>

This was copied from the Media for tumbling thread PG #5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yotefever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been throwing a 7-08 case in with all the loads I've done the last few days and the case still weighs the same according to my RCBS digi scale. It has about 30 hours of time in the tumbler so far. It looks more like it's gold plated not polished brass. </div></div>

I did the same thing with a 308 Hornady match case for about 6 months! Every load I tumbled It was tossed in with it. I did not loose any noticable weight in that time period so I quit doing it.

Terry

I was not saying that I lost case material, I think that I was <span style="font-weight: bold">assuming</span> that the corncob media had cleaned the inside of the case as well as the outside. Even though they had been tumbled in the vibratory, the stainless steel pulled a lot of crud out of them.

Yeah, I have had lots of guys say that they had brass that they thought was clean until they tumbled it in the SS media! Many guys have retumbled all the clean brass they had to a new standard. LOL!

I had guys pm me saying that they had retumbled every peice of clean brass that they had. Some said that they was shocked at the black water that came out of the Clean brass they had!

Terry

Since my SS media hasn't come in the mail yet, just for fun I tumbled about 100 dirty .40 cal with <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> the Lemishine, cold water and a squirt of Dawn for the solution. After only 45 minutes, I dumped the tumbler and was amazed at how much black water came out. The internal case surfaces were already 85% clean! For me, wet tumbling is the only way to fly.

There are numerous combinations to try here. Dawn dish detergent is meant to produce lots of suds, but laundry soap is just the opposite. I'll try that next. The Lemishine will always be a constant.

Does anybody have a code for the hobby warehouse? Or someplace cheaper to get the model B from? I tried 'online' but it doesn't look like that one is valid anymore, and any others from around the holidays are expired now as well. Thanks...

Still, the only thing I hate about this method is that it peens the case mouths. I have to chamfer inside to cut off that peened edge after every tumble.

Killer Penguin, I agree, I have the slower model Thumler, and after about 4 hrs, not only are a lot of the cases peened to the point of needing chamfering again, MANY were deformed as if I had ejected them 15 feet out onto concrete.

I always clean before sizing, and although I typically use the Forster bushing bump die if at all possible, and it will open the mouth back and size it down at the bushing, BUT, I have had to go back to using the expander in these dies, which for several rifles I never did previously.

I think these pins are probably close to, if not AS light as you could go with wet tumbling, or else they would be too bouyant to mix with the cases well in the water mix...

but I am really interested to see if someone with knowledge of the vast amount of tumbling media available to industry, comes up with the right product to clean all the carbon form inside the case and the primer pockets such as this method, in a DRY system.

I'm still pissed that the pins I got from STM are NOT MAGNETIC!

Hope my other order from Mark comes in soon.

How can stainless pins NOT be magnetic? ... and if you magnetized them wouldn't they clump together?

Are the ones STM sells not stainless... or a junk pin or something?

First it is not unusual for many types of stainless steel to be non-magnetic. Second, Terry has made it clear that he has nothing to do with Stainless Media website, and that the pins his contact supplies are magnetic.

Third if you guys are getting that kind of peening on your case mouths you need to change something. I've never seen a case damaged at all and have to look really hard to identify any peening which mostly just makes the case mouth look like new unfired brass.

You need either more water, less brass, or perhaps more or fewer pins. Something is not right with your process. If you list what you are doing, how much water, how much brass and caliber, and how many lbs. of pins, then Terry or somebody else might be able to help you adjust your process.

Something is definitely not right. There is too much slamming around some kind of way in your process. You might consider finding a round sealable container that will just fit inside the Thumbler. That might take some of the banging around out of your process, but I still think something isn't right.

If I don't have to trim then I don't have to chamfer after cleaning, so the tiny bit of peening is of no effect in my process. I don't have a Giraud which does it all at once.

KP, the STM pins work OK as far as I can tell, but they are NOT magnetic.

Seawalker, I have a lot of experience in industrial applications for parts finishing, tumbling, both wet and dry, vibratory tumbling, and variants of both. I don't think it's unusual to see the case mouths as I am. I expected some case deformation, this is TUMBLING, not cyclonic vibration, which is much gentler, as is the media I (most) use in that type of case cleaning (really just polishing to me).

Having said that, I have followed the recommendations specifically. 1 Gallon Water, about 1/2 tsp. Dawn Dishwashing liquid, 1/4 Teaspoon--or a skoche more of Lemishine, the full 5 lbs of pins, and 100 cases. This 'mix' fills my Thumler to about 1 1/2" from the top of the rubber drum.

I will continue to monitor my procedure, but this being my third batch, I will add that every single case I cleaned (350) was chamfered and deburred prior to tumbling, specifically to see what the results of the process was. It is not an inordinate amount of deformed cases, I think it would be similar or perhaps even more if the pins weren't present BTW.

I will also say that I attempted seating a bullet by hand into every case after cleaning, prior to sizing, and a lot of them had been peened inward such that it was discernable. Any sizing operation with an expander and you would probably not even feel this, and if you didn't have an expander in your sizing operation, I doubt you could discern a difference very often during bullet seating.

I love the virgin brass look though, and despite there being a lot more case handling than a typical dry process, I like starting with cases with all the gook gone out of the inside of the case and the primer pockets as well as the outside.

I'm running 5lbs of media.
50-75 308 cases
1 gallon of water
2 tbl spoons of soap
1 9mm case of lemishine

I'll run for 1.5hrs to 2.5hrs.

Seawalker, I guarantee you I'm not the only one seeing the peening, so why don't you detach your emotions from the conversation and something positive could be gained yes?

The peening is such that it WILL scratch the jacket on scenar's and 175SMK if I do not hit it with the chamfer tool prior to seating.

I contacted giraud and am using the 50bmg cutter on all calibers, which has a softer radius instead of the sharp knife-edge cut of the standard cutter. This helped and removed the "rolled edge" but the peening is still there.

It also takes place with 22-250, to a lesser degree, and 338LM to a greater degree.

fish301, I'm not questioning your knowledge of metals, industrial processes, etc. I'm sure you know a whole lot more than I do, but I do know the results that I have don't mirror what you are getting. Unless many of the guys who have posted for 25 pages over the past year are deliberately misleading everyone, then it isn't what they are finding either. I don't believe you stated the caliber which could make some difference.

I still think that something is causing you to have too much slamming around. Maybe you need more brass or more pins to leave the cases less room to bang around against each other. That is the reason I mentioned trying a smooth container which could help to smooth the tumbling effects that could result from the angled insides of the Thumblers.

I'm thinking maybe some of these guys who have used it longest can help make better suggestions that might work for you. We're all trying to learn and help each other. Some things work and some work better, and of course some not so well.

The pins not being magnetic would make them a real pain in my opinion as it is almost impossible not to spill or drop some occasionally. Picking them up without a magnetic would be a real problem.

I have cleaned some real nasty brass, still only took 45min. to be gold shiney. No need to go more than 1hour. Jim

I'm seeing the peening here too. Very little with the .308 or smaller (6mm BR, Dasher, .223 Rem, etc.) but more noticeable with the .338 LM. Even on the smaller calibers the mouth really needs a quick hit with a chamfer tool at a minimum. Not anywhere near what I got with ceramic media, but still a bit.

I think my Thumler's Tumbler is one of the 'slow speed' models. I fill it with 5lbs of media (purchased through Terry's contact), one hundred .308 Win cases (or 50 .338 LM, 100 6Br, 100-200 .223 Rem, etc.) and filled to within 1" of the top with water. Add dawn and lemishine and tumble for 2-3 hr depending on how dirty / have they been cleaned this way before.

m, it seems like you are seeing a progression as the cases get heavier. Which makes me think it isn't the pins hitting the cases but the weight of the cases falling and banging into the pins and maybe each other. What do you think?

Is it possible that using a little less water and more pins and cases could dampen the falling effect that might be causing this.

Try more water, less air space so if it's underwater for most of the time it should be cushoned.
Also less noise and rattle, almost a constant "swish"

As for stainless, we use stainless eating utensils at our house. The same ones for 12 years that have not rusted. I put a magnet to them once, and NO magnetic attraction.

I'm sure many of you can try the same thing. I guess the source's (not STM, the <span style="text-decoration: underline">original</span> source) pins have a higher iron content. But, they haven't rusted yet after about a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try more water, less air space so if it's underwater for most of the time it should be cushoned.
Also less noise and rattle, almost a constant "swish" </div></div>

I tried this.

It put me over weight, and did not change the outcome.

KP, have you tried less water and more brass to keep the weight at 15, but minimize the amount of space the cases have available to slam around?

Yes. Peening was worse.

The cases took FOREVER to get clean as a result of not enough media to brass ratio, or so it seemed.

KP, sorry but I don't remember if you said what caliber and how much brass you have been using?

I really don't have any better suggestions to make. It doesn't appear that I can help you with the problem. Maybe somebody else will come along with some better ideas.

You can always go back to whatever you were using before, and probably sell the thumbler and media without losing much on your investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seawalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always go back to whatever you were using before, and probably sell the thumbler and media without losing much on your investment. </div></div>

There you go getting emotional again. Why is it that whenever someone has a negative comment about something... people take it personal?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stainless tumbling is the best there is as far as I'm concerned</span>, so why the hell would I want to sell my shit and go back to ultrasonic?

I'll agree on one point, you are definitely not going to be able to help me. You aren't even reading my posts as is obvious by your questioning what caliber and how much brass.

Sit down, shut up, and let the guys that don't have such a heavy emotional attachment find a solution to this problem please.

Now, it's my belief that virtually everyone is having this peening problem to some degree or the next. Some just aren't noticing it. I've seen people do the dumbest shit at the reloading bench, and didn't notice it until I pointed it out. So just because some don't complain of it, doesn't mean its not happening.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Some facts: </span>
The larger the caliber, the worse the peening. I'm not sure if this is due to the cases weighing more or the case mouth's being larger.

If I uses a standard cutter on the giraud, I end up with a NASTY rolled lip on the case mouth. The sharp edge created by the giraud is rolled inward on the entire circumference of the mouth. If I use the 50bmg carbide cutter, the edge is not so sharp, and thereby does not roll as bad, but it is still there.

Thinner cases get beat up worse than thick cases. Winchester peens worse than lapua or LC LR.

Unless I hit the case mouth with the chamfer tool, it WILL and does scratch the jackets on match bullets. This is plainly visible by the copper shavings at the case mouth after seating the bullet.

KP, didn't realize I was getting emotional as I don't have any investment other than my own involved.

I'm satisfied with my process and results.

Best of luck to you in figuring out what to try next.

Not that it makes any difference but the reason I didn't see your post on the cases and caliber was because I was responding to fish301 and when I posted it was 7:09 and started the top of this current page. I had no way of knowing that you posted the final post on the previous page at 7:07 just two minutes before my post. I never saw your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for stainless, we use stainless eating utensils at our house. The same ones for 12 years that have not rusted. I put a magnet to them once, and NO magnetic attraction.

I'm sure many of you can try the same thing. I guess the source's (not STM, the <span style="text-decoration: underline">original</span> source) pins have a higher iron content. But, they haven't rusted yet after about a year. </div></div>

Not all "stainless steels" are non-magnetic. Ferritic SS is, austenitic is not (in general)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoVa birdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not all "stainless steels" are non-magnetic. Ferritic SS is, austenitic is not (in general) </div></div>

Link about stainless steels. I had to look up "austenitic".

Seawalker, the cases I have tumbled so far with this process are 308 and 280 AI. the necks are thinner on the 280 AI brass, and it definitely shows more peening/deformation than the 308 cases.

As for previous posters, I don't think anybody is misleading anyone, I just don't think most notice or feel it is worth mentioning. As I said before, I expected some of this type of deformation--based on experience--to this type of part (brass case) and don't think it to be unusual, and there are lots of variables that will impact this effect--as an example, age of brass since being annealed, thickness of neck on given cases, and of course length of time in the process.

I will also second what KP has said, if I use my Giraud, I can get a case mouth so f'd up, that I have to retrim,for me just re-chamfering if not enough to remediate the case to my satisfaction.

This is a GREAT method for cleaning cases. I remain optimistic for developments in a DRY system that achieves comparable results, and I believe that if truly skilled experts, e.g. industrial process engineeers could specifiy a proper size and type of media that will perform as corn cob or walnut in terms of weight and ease of seperation, as well as achieve the results of removing residue from inside the case and from the primer pockets, we would really have a great option--I think it's doable BTW.

One poster on another forum has indicated to me that he has come upon such a mix of media, but the sizes I have been able to find for the type of media he describes, would not be able to function inside the case and in the primer pockets, so thus far, I have not been able to find a media that will perform to the level of this process in a dry application.

It is interesting how certain things in technology come slowly to the shooting sports community--i.e. affordable remote video target monitoring, simplified case annealing etc. I feel this process is the next level of tech in case cleaning, but think there are more options to come, hopefully utilizing existing 'standard' equipment, like vibratory bowls,and dry media seperators, which are simple, easy to use and readily available at a low cost.

I dislike the amount of case handling needed with this process, but LOVE the results in terms of the actual cleaning of the cases, and getting magnetic media from Mark will help in my SOP--but the amount of case handling is a lot more for me than with ultrasonic or typical vibratory operations. (which again--to me--is really exterior case polishing, not cleaning, as there is no 'real' cleaning of the inside of the case or the primer pockets).

The application of this type of process to brass case cleaning is a good step forward IMO, and may be where economics and practicality stop for some time before there is a better/easier method brought forward, but we will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I toss them in a vibratory with corn cob and wet the media with water, Dawn, and lemishine. I spray the media down out of a old windex bottle. I only use the SS media for cleaning after firing the brass at the range.

TN-MadDog:

Terry </div></div>

My thumler model b runs just like that out of the box....

Let me know what you find out if you call thumler, I might do the same tomorrow morning.

</div></div>

I finally got around to calling Thumlers today. I spoke to a very nice lady. She said if it was bothering me that she would send me a new one. She also said that they would take care of it if it caused any problems later on. I decided to just keep using it for now as long as it didn't cause any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....As for previous posters, I don't think anybody is misleading anyone, I just don't think most notice or feel it is worth mentioning. As I said before, I expected some of this type of deformation--based on experience--to this type of part (brass case) and don't think it to be unusual, and there are lots of variables that will impact this effect--as an example, age of brass since being annealed, thickness of neck on given cases, and of course length of time in the process.... </div></div>

I agree with that post. If you go back and look at all the pictures posted in this thread, you will see some pics with peened case mouths. I am seeing it on my Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I don't know if it will cause any problem.

I also noticed that the new Hornady brass looked the same so they must be using a similar process.

I just finished processing a bunch of new brass and ran them through the vibratory cleaner to get the lube off them. Looking at them closely (with a magnifying glass) showed some dings on the case mouths after about 30 minutes.

Not saying it is a problem. But there is no doubt that it occurs at least with some brass.

I really like how well it cleans the whole case inside and out including the primer pockets and will keep using it.

I did take some pictures to post but they didn't come out real all that great. If anyone wants to see them, I will post them.

Joe

I tried it and works great for me. Did notice a little peening on the sides of the cases, but not enough to worry about.

Sent PM to Terry for the contact. It took a while to get through the whole thread but it was worth it. Fantastic information!

I just finished my second batch with the SS media and had some questions for those of you getting the peening on the case mouths.

1. Is the rolled edge on the inside or the outside of the case?

2. Are you sizing and/or chamfering the case mouths before tumbling??

3. How many pieces of brass in the tumble??

On my first batch of .30-06 lapua brass, I didn't get any rolled edge at all.

However, there were only 12 pieces of brass in the tumble.

This second batch of brass I had a total of 33 pieces of brass and I did get a rolled edge on the outside of the cases.

Tumble time for both was 4 hours. (Probably didn't need to go that long, but I had other stuff to do)

In addition to more brass, I sized my case necks in the second batch with the lee collet die as I was depriming. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, which is why I asked the questions above. The case necks also didn't get as clean than the brass that wasn't sized. Not sure if the collet pressure made the carbon more difficult to come off.

Too many variables to really make any conclusion for me. But something was different from batch one and two that made the rolled edge on the case mouths...Maybe I just need less brass, or don't size before tumbling. I'll experiment and keep the variables to a minimum and report back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished my second batch with the SS media and had some questions for those of you getting the peening on the case mouths.

1. Is the rolled edge on the inside or the outside of the case?

2. Are you sizing and/or chamfering the case mouths before tumbling??

3. How many pieces of brass in the tumble??
</div></div>

1. It is hard to tell, looks even inside and outside.
2. Fully prepped, fired, cleaned.
3. 80 for four hours.

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass.

Pics (not really good but maybe you can get the idea.

New unprepped and unfired:-----------------------

Casepeeningnew_edited-1.jpg

Fully prepped brass once fired:----------------

Casepeeningpreppedfired_edited-1.jpg

Cleaned:-------------

Casepeeningpreppedfiredcleaned_edited-1.jpg

I'm wondering if the prepping before tumbling, (meaning trimming and chamfering the case mouth) makes it more fragile because they're essentially thinner and more susceptible to the peening.

have you tried tumbling first, before the prep to see if the peening is the same??