• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I'm wondering if it isn't the softer brass that Hornady uses.

Try tumbling with Hornady brass and some other, harder brass (Winchester, Lapua).

Inspect them all and report the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if the prepping before tumbling, (meaning trimming and chamfering the case mouth) makes it more fragile because they're essentially thinner and more susceptible to the peening.

have you tried tumbling first, before the prep to see if the peening is the same?? </div></div>

I started prepping my case necks after tumbling, figuring that the freefall to a flat surface covered by the pins was causing the peening. It works well for me, YMMV.

I size and prep after tumbling.

Poll results as of 1/15/2011 5:00pm EST

1-15-2011poll.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Is the rolled edge on the inside or the outside of the case? <span style="color: #CC0000">Inside</span>

2. Are you sizing and/or chamfering the case mouths before tumbling?? <span style="color: #CC0000">Makes no difference.</span>

3. How many pieces of brass in the tumble??
<span style="color: #CC0000">Different for each cartridge. Whatever 2lbs equals.</span>
</div></div>

I haven't noticed any brass deformation with the SS, but I run my Thumler with water to 1/2" under the top. None of my 25-20WCF brass (which is notorious for fragile necks) have shown any damage. All my brass is deprimed before tumbling, and no problems so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if it isn't the softer brass that Hornady uses.

Try tumbling with Hornady brass and some other, harder brass (Winchester, Lapua).

Inspect them all and report the results. </div></div>

I have some Lapua 308 brass that I will try out this week. See how it does.

I am also going to try reducing the amount of media that I am using by about half and see if that makes any difference.

Some one else mentioned water levels in the drum. I am filling mine to with in about 1/2 inch also.

As far as the prep/cleaning sequence, I am prepping, loading, firing, cleaning, in that order.

Edited to add: It is the Model B high speed.

Joe

I am reposting this due to several PM's asking this.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Niether myself (Suasponte/Terry) or Mark are asscoiated with STM (The Banner Add on the Hide) or via google</span>.</span>

If you are posting a PM for contact info for Mark and you recieve a PM from anyone other than me (Suasponte) it is not Marks contact info, or it is someone reposting Marks info without his permission.

I have had several guys say that CRjeeper is responding to request for contact info with STM's contact info. This my friends is not Marks contact info, as several of you have found out.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeeto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody have a code for the hobby warehouse? Or someplace cheaper to get the model B from? I tried 'online' but it doesn't look like that one is valid anymore, and any others from around the holidays are expired now as well. Thanks...</div></div> Bumping this up in case anybody knows of one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vnvet72</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Immorteq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beware of Hobby Warehouse for the tumblers. They confirmed the tumbler had the 3000rpm motor and sent me one with the 1550rpm motor and refuse to replace it. </div></div>

Those people are an F'n Joke. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST.

Buffalo Arms.com Ordered mine and arrived in two days. NO BS'n good folks in Idaho..

Just my 2 guys. </div></div>

I have had several people complain about said company!

No complaints with Buffalo arms or Cablea's.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have had several people complain about said company!

No complaints with Buffalo arms or Cablea's.

Terry </div></div>

Cabela's was who I chose, they answered every question and even called to ensure that I had gotten EXACTLY what I wanted.

If you were going to tumble a small batch, say one fourth as many cases as full, how would you change the process, if any? One fourth the media? One fourth the time? Something else?

I dont change anything based on how much brass I put in. I dont even time it, i just load it up and let it spin and when i get around to it, take them out. If they arent done, I close it back up and let er rip again.

I see the case mouth 'peening' in my ss cleaning routine. I'm guessing that the peening is caused by the case mouths banging eachother other than it being caused by the stainless media.

I always resize and trim my brass (Lapua .308) after cleaning and the peening is a non-issue for me as it is gone after trimming.

The one thing that the peening makes difficult is measuring correct neck tension. If the inside of the mouth is not sufficiently chamferred, the measured neck tension will be greater than it actually is because of the extra material bulging on the rim of the mouth. Once this material is removed, the measured neck tension will be normal. Took me a little while to figure out why some of my cases were measuring .005+ neck tension.

Another thumbs up for Stainless Media, been using it for a while with great results!

Figured I would throw some pics up of my latest drying setup, it is pretty cheap & easy to make, and works well.

I made it out off a standard steel mailbox, which I picked up at Walmart for about $8. The heat / drying source is a small space heater that I also picked up at Walmart for $15. The drying trays are made out of 1" aluminum angle and screen which I picked up at the local home improvement place for about $10.

BoxTraySideAng.jpg

BoxTrayInsideRear2.jpg

BoxTrayInside.jpg

Tray.jpg

BoxHeatSide.jpg

I cut a hole in the back of the mailbox to match the size of the opening on the heater / fan. I then drilled some random holes in the mailbox for airflow. I also drilled some holes to allow me to put some bolts in to act as supports for the drying racks to sit on. To make the drying racks, I just cut the angle to dimensions that fit inside the mailbox. I then drilled holes in the corners and attached them using a small bolt. I then stretched / laid out the screen over the frame, and then attached it to the frame using small bolts. I also wrapped some duct tape around the edge of the screen and frame.

Each tray will hold about (50) .308 cases, so you can dry about 100 pieces total. It will usually dry them in about 30 minutes.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Does anyone have any thoughts as to drying the brass in an oven? I finally did my first batch yesterday (excellent results!!) and put the brass on a porcelain tray, set the oven to 170 degrees for 30 minutes, left the door open about two inches, moving the brass around every ten minutes as to not leave water marks. Would the heat from the oven have any affect on the brass?

So I'm loading some .45ACP yesterday and my Dillon RL 550B was not acting right. On the up stroke, I was have to pull hard to get the brass to release from the powder funnel. I call Dillon and explain to them what is happening and their response was, "Your getting your brass too clean." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The fix for this is to put a little Imperial wax on the outside of the powder funnel. They said this will never happen with rifle cartridges.

I took the powder funnels out of mine and polished them with #0000 steel wool and some flitz metal polish. Have not had any appear to stick on the up stroke. Polish the end of your expanded/powder funnel and see if that does not take care of it.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Byzantine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any thoughts as to drying the brass in an oven? I finally did my first batch yesterday (excellent results!!) and put the brass on a porcelain tray, set the oven to 170 degrees for 30 minutes, left the door open about two inches, moving the brass around every ten minutes as to not leave water marks. Would the heat from the oven have any affect on the brass? </div></div>

No need to go the oven routine. In fact, no need to anything other than what I mention below for best results:

Here's what I do and it works in 10 minutes or so:

After rinsing out my brass and toweling them some to get most of the water out, I will put my brass back in a bucket of 91 or 99% alcohol and stir them a bit and then bring them out. The alcohol evaporates within a few minutes and all is dry.

No need for any fancy drying contraption or method. This works, works well, guarantees your brass will be perfectly clean, and is fast. Do not use 70% alcohol. Use 91% or 99% found in your grocery store. I use 99% for everything around here.

Wondered about using alcohol in the process in place of the water, but at that high of a concentration it would obviously be a fire hazard. I am also sure over time the alcohol would break the rubber gasket down.

Never thought about just using it in a "rinse process", guess I am going to have to give that one a try!

Thanks,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wondered about using alcohol in the process in place of the water, but at that high of a concentration it would obviously be a fire hazard. I am also sure over time the alcohol would break the rubber gasket down.

Never thought about just using it in a "rinse process", guess I am going to have to give that one a try!

Thanks,
M Richardson </div></div>

Capt- Btw... The alcohol rinse is not done in the tumbler. I just use a small plastic pail and give them a good stir. After that, shake them out and let them dry. Try it, you'll like it.

PS - Are you the same Capt on SP?

Roger, clear on not using the alcohol with the tumbler.

If by SP you mean Snipers Paradise, would guess that is me.

Not sure if we shot together at any of the Rendezvous?

Thanks,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the powder funnels out of mine and polished them with #0000 steel wool and some flitz metal polish. Have not had any appear to stick on the up stroke. Polish the end of your expanded/powder funnel and see if that does not take care of it.

Terry</div></div>

Yes, terry is correct. The expander on the funnel needs to be super smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger, clear on not using the alcohol with the tumbler.

If by SP you mean Snipers Paradise, would guess that is me.

Not sure if we shot together at any of the Rendezvous?

Thanks,
M Richardson </div></div>

We haven't shot together at the Rendezvous. I am a good friend of Vern and another Vietnam Veteran. Go by 'Hawker' on SP.

I got my media today, and have a batch of 9mm in the tumbler right now. I checked after 1 hour they were cleaner than overnight in walnut.

I'm new to this type of case prep. So I would like to know for those of you with experience with 308 cases....trim and champfer BEFORE or AFTER the tumbling process?

Thanks for your input

Left a pretty decent size load of 9mm go over night. Probably 6-7 hours total. All I can say is WOW.

Another believer here. Just pulled my first load out and dried it. This was WCC04 223 brass that I had previously prepped with walnut media. 100% difference. I agree about the trimming after tumbling since it does burnish the mouths. I'm not gonna re-chamfer these but will definitely tumble first next time.

My greatest fear lies in missing a piece of the wire and sending a stainless steel barrel destroyer to the hinterlands. I kinda developed a triple check. Only had two pieces out of 200 that had wire stuck in the flash hole.

4 hours later (pick the SS tumbled vs. the <span style="font-weight: bold">new</span> corn cob tumbled):
7178c1d8.jpg

Crappy iPhone pic, but you can see the difference easily.

One issue......... I've been tumbling 223's. The insides of the brass are shiney clean but the inside of the necks are still dark. I'm tumbling for 6 hours and this is really the only complaint so far with the 223's. May not be an issue with brass with bigger necks.

I've tumbled .223, 9mm, 45cal, and 308. I usually use 2 tablespoons of dish soap, a teaspoon of Lemishine, and tumble overnight (tumbler outside on back porch). To dry, just rinse the cases in clean water, shake them out, and throw them in a cardboard box lined with a towel. I get hardly any water spotting, and the cases are dry overnight.

5400493176_5289e6c4bc_b.jpg

Final questions......

I lay the brass on aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and set the oven to 175, leave them in about an hour. When I pull them out there are are marks the length of the cases on the cases and on the foil where it looks like wax melted off. Could it be that the Imperial wax is not getting totally removed?

Also on the water spotting issue, I can pull one batch out of the tumbler with no spots and one batch with spots. Is there something I'm missing here?

I may quit messing with the oven route after reading the last couple of posts.

I like this method a heck of a lot more that walnut shells but inconsistancies kinda irritate me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentVectorX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've tumbled .223, 9mm, 45cal, and 308. I usually use 2 tablespoons of dish soap, a teaspoon of Lemishine, and tumble overnight (tumbler outside on back porch). To dry, just rinse the cases in clean water, shake them out, and throw them in a cardboard box lined with a towel. I get hardly any water spotting, and the cases are dry overnight.

5400493176_5289e6c4bc_b.jpg
</div></div>
You sure those aren't gold? Man those look good.
Nice job..
...SmokeRolls

Could it be some source of galvanic reaction between the brass and foil with the water acting as the bridge?
If you need brass dried that fast, you should have tumbled them yesterday.
I like the 99% alcohol idea about displacing the water and quick evaporation so you can use you brass quicker.
Right now it -30,-39 with the wind so I just might spend the day inside and tinker with stuff.....

REELDOC:

I have had guys comment about marks being left on the brass when drying theom on Non-stick backing sheets and also Alum foil.

As for water spotting. I always toss my brass out on a big beach towel and roll them around in it before tossing them in the drying box. I also pick them up like a little baggie in the towel and shake them for about 30 seconds to get out any excess water. I have found this works best for me.

Also, are you measuring the soap and Lemishine amounts you are putting in each batch? Depending on how hard your water is the soap amounts can vary from what other people have posted. 1oz of Ivory diah soap and a 40S&W case of lemishine works best for me at a 2-3 hours tumble.

From reading what you are doing it sounds like you are sizing prior to cleaning. Reverse this process, clean your brass then size. I use RCBS case lube on a pad for sizing. This case lube is Water Soluable and comes off real easy in my Vibratory with corn cob and a few squirts of water/lemishine added.

Terry

I'll try the towel.

Heck, I thought I was going to be able to eliminate the vibratory cleaning all together. I guess that there was a small amount of Imperial left on the previously prep'd brass even after vibratory cleaning which might have heated up in the oven. Also, since I really don't need to use the brass the same day (I bulk prep my brass once or twice a year at the most, I keep a lot of brass on hand) I'll let it air or sun dry like Humpy does.

I measured what Humpy gave me: 1/2-3/4 oz of soap (I'm using Dawn but I'll switch to Ivory) and 7cc of Lemishine. If the RCBS case lube is water soluable why wouldn't it come off in the tumbler so you wouldn't have to go through two operations?

I really like the results from the tumbler but I hate the thought of two operations. I'm gonna have so do some pondering to get it down to one operation.

I am drying using the alcohol dip some one mentioned in this thread. It works great. After removing media and rinsing in my Frankford Arsenal media separator. I turn the rinsed brass in the empty bucket to remove some more water.
Then dump in large tupperware bowl with 2 pints of rubbing alcohol. I put the lid on and shake it around. Then I poor the cases and alcohol through a strainer catching the alcohol in another tupperware bowl.
Then I dump the brass out on a large bath towel. I roll it around until outsides are dry. Then dump them in an empty tupperware container. Shake them so most will be facing mouth up.
I then sit them under a vent since the heat is running almost constantly here. They dry pretty quick this way. I just let them sit until the next batch is tumbled. I will post pics of how much I have tumbled over the weekend.

I have done my first few batches, and my water is too hard. At first I added only 1/4 tsp of lemishine, and the primer pockets were good, but not perfect. The inside walls of the case weren't super clean, either. With hot water, double the lemishine, and Dawn soap 30cc I am squeaky golden clean.

Now, I need to figure out a better way to dry them all. Can I just leave them on a towel and wait a couple of days? I'm not in a hurry. Will the water (even the tiny bit clinging in the flash hole) eventually evaporate, or do I need to dry them more aggressively?

Where about's did you pick up your alcohol, and what concentration is it?
You can leave them in a towel,but this time of year I leave them in my sifter and put'em over a heating dust in the spare room.
It's -30 here this morning like it has been for the past week or so,and the furnace run's quite often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where about's did you pick up your alcohol, and what concentration is it?
You can leave them in a towel,but this time of year I leave them in my sifter and put'em over a heating dust in the spare room.
It's -30 here this morning like it has been for the past week or so,and the furnace run's quite often. </div></div>

I picked up the alcohol at the local grocery store in the first aid section. I got the highest concentration they had. 90 something percent.