• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

The alcohol method will be fastest, but you have to beware of the alcohol eventually getting waterlogged.

Depending on how hard your water is, spotting will/may occur if you don't dry the outside (shouldn't be a problem with the alcohol method). Like most, I put them in a towel and get the outside dry rolling them in the towel.

Once the weather warms a little more,(depends on your location) you can dry them easily in the sun. I just put them in the back of my truck in a box. They will dry in less than an hour. I found a cat litter box at a yard sale that has a plstic insert that is just right to hold the necks of a couple of hundred bottleneck cases. I just put them in neck down and put them in the back of the truck so the sun will shine on them.

In the winter, I use the same litter box and put it in front of the exhaust fan on my ice machine in the shop. I turn the ice machine on and let it run and blow overnight. Next morning cases are perfectly dry. Of course there are many examples here of homemade driers with light bulbs and fans that will work equally well.

I am continuing on the learning curve with my SS media process, and I don't recall seeing feedback on this in the thread, although I must admit, I've read it twice, and some of it has turned to mush in my head! I am going to try and post some pics, but I just finished about 60 Nickel plated cases (270 WIN) along with 15 or so plain brass cases. I have the slower model Thumler. After just shy of 2 hours, I looked at my cases--just beacuase...they weren't all clean inside yet, but looked pretty good, and there were no depostis on the outside of the cases.

Let them go another hr and 45 minutes, and when I pulled the cases out (stopped process at that time) the nickel plated cases had black rings around them at the expansion ring area and the edge of the shoulder. I am wondering if this is from carbon redepositing on the case, or maybe from the tumblers liner????

Nickelplated270CasesandregularcasesPic2.jpg

Nickel270Caseswithringpic1.jpg

The black rings are pretty eveident in the pictures I think, and interestingly, the plain brass cases show none of this....hate to tumble in corn cob after all the stainless effort...Hmmmmm

Fish301:

I have tumbled lots on Nickel 45's and never had any issues. However, I only tumbled Nickel with nickel cases. Never mixed nickels with regaular brass. Segregate the Nickels and re-run them! It does look as if you have carbon rebonding to the cases.

Terry

Also, play it safe and run just your media with soap and lemishine for a hour or so as a cleaning cycle. Then make sure to rinse them very well. Make sure your media is not caring bonded carbon to the next batch.

Terry

Terry, thanks brother. I didn't think about co-mingling nickel vs plain--will try without. I have been super picky about keeping the media clean, it rinses crystal clear, and I've done that every batch so far--only about 7 or 8 batches so far, rinsed every time....I'll try some of these nickel cases solo and see what happens.

Thanks again Terry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where about's did you pick up your alcohol, and what concentration is it?</div></div>

I picked up the alcohol at the local grocery store in the first aid section. I got the highest concentration they had. 90 something percent.</div></div>

91% is the minimum you should use. 99% is the best. I get my alcohol at Safeway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentVectorX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've tumbled .223, 9mm, 45cal, and 308. I usually use 2 tablespoons of dish soap, a teaspoon of Lemishine, and tumble overnight (tumbler outside on back porch). To dry, just rinse the cases in clean water, shake them out, and throw them in a cardboard box lined with a towel. I get hardly any water spotting, and the cases are dry overnight.

5400493176_5289e6c4bc_b.jpg
</div></div>Wow those look nice!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's Safeway?
Drug store or supermarket?</div></div>

Yes, Safeway is a grocery store. You can buy the alcohol in most grocery stores and pharmacies. Do not buy the 70%. Buy 91 or 99%.

Some very dirty 9mm.
DSC_0155.jpg

Some LC 5.56 some of it was tarnished brown to black.
DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

I'm trying to make up my mind which media separator to get. I want
to get a good one that will last, but will also work well for this application.

Anyone use the Dillon manufactured ones for this ? I've got the collander
type. Anyone use that ?

thanks ! Chris

I've been using somethign called a EZ strainer. It's used to strain diesel fuel. I got it from ebay for 5.00 I think.

It works great, large enough I can just pour all the contents in to the sink, let the water run and I can empty out my cases and rinse the media and cases at the same time.

Then I just leave the media in there to dry for a few hours, pour it back into the tumbler.

as far as the cases go, I put them upside down in an mtm cartridge holder to dry. Next morning they're all dry inside and out.

Thanks for posting pictures guys! I still enjoy seeing results everyone is getting.

New poll results as of 2/5/2011 @ 8:30pm EST

2-5-2011poll.jpg

Terry

Every time I pull the lid off my Thumler's tumbler after another batch of brass, I suddenly feel sorry for the guys that bought non-magnetic stainless media.

Make sure your SS media can be picked up with a magnet. If not, you're in for a hell-of-a-lot more work.

I do have the magnetic media, but haven't had to use a magnet yet?

I am thinking about fabbing up a lid for the thumler with a strainer built in. Would only be good for draining, and rinsing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doctorxring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

I'm trying to make up my mind which media separator to get. I want
to get a good one that will last, but will also work well for this application.

Anyone use the Dillon manufactured ones for this ? I've got the collander
type. Anyone use that ?

thanks ! Chris

. </div></div>

Been using the Dillon. Very happy with the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about fabbing up a lid for the thumler with a strainer built in. Would only be good for draining, and rinsing. </div></div>

I already have a prototype made and in the testing Phase right now! Was not planning on posting anything until I got one to Mark for his review and comments. Waiting on my buddy to get a few more cut on the CNC to get to a few guys for testing.

Beleow is the prototype, I unbolt my solid lid for tumbling then bolt this one on to strain and rinse. So far the design seems to be working up to my expectations.

Strainerlid.jpg

Terry

I was on the same track except a metal lid with metal screen like a colander/strainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about fabbing up a lid for the thumler with a strainer built in. Would only be good for draining, and rinsing. </div></div>

I already have a prototype made and in the testing Phase right now! Was not planning on posting anything until I got one to Mark for his review and comments. Waiting on my buddy to get a few more cut on the CNC to get to a few guys for testing.

Beleow is the prototype, I unbolt my solid lid for tumbling then bolt this one on to strain and rinse. So far the design seems to be working up to my expectations.

Strainerlid.jpg

Terry </div></div>

Count me in for one of those Terry! That is a great design IMO, would help simplify things a lot in the 'pour off and seperate stage' as well as the rinsing of media only process.

Great concept.

Looking into a few design changes to reduce the CNC time. Possible long slots instead of hundreds if tiny holes. HAve a call into my buddy to make one up and test it.

Terry

Ran two batches today and got to use my new Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator Kit

It was a huge improvement over getting them out by hand. It did a great job of getting the media out of the cases and also gave the cases a good final rinse. After dumping the water out of the bucket, gave them another good spin and it got most of the water out.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran two batches today and got to use my new Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator Kit

It was a huge improvement over getting them out by hand. It did a great job of getting the media out of the cases and also gave the cases a good final rinse. After dumping the water out of the bucket, gave them another good spin and it got most of the water out.

Well worth the money in my opinion. </div></div>

TN-MadDog:

I suggest doing the following modificatioon to it. Watch the video of what I did, I basically put a piece of 1" dowel rod thru the trunions.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHL8w7aWyl4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHL8w7aWyl4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

I have seen that video before and may do it eventually. It works pretty good as is.

Thanks,

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about fabbing up a lid for the thumler with a strainer built in. Would only be good for draining, and rinsing. </div></div>

Strainerlid.jpg

Terry </div></div>

When do you think these will be ready for sale on the website? If it's soon, I'll wait a bit before placing my order for the entire SST medium system...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: speedjunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When do you think these will be ready for sale on the website? If it's soon, I'll wait a bit before placing my order for the entire SST medium system... </div></div>

These will not be available on the website as I (Suasponte/Terry) nor Mark are associated with STM.

At the current time there is no Plan to sell these!

If there are any memebers on the Hide with Flat Bed CNC capabilities please PM me.

Thanks

Terry

Terry:
I use the Frankford separator with your mods. I usually give it a couple of spins one way, then a couple in the opposite direction. Repeat this a couple of times and lift the 'brass cage' out of the water. A couple of shakes to drain the water back into the bucket (along with any wayward pins), dump onto a bath towel prior to an hour or so in the case dryer and they're good to go. I've been preaching this method on a few other forums as well as linking to this thread. I hope that eventually all of the dusty reloaders will follow the light sparkling off of our immaculate brass and be redeemed. I can dream, can't I? ;-)

Wayne

Wayne:

I still use the FA setup all the time. It is very effective at seperating the brass and media. I pretty much do the same as what you wrote. Spin one way about 10 times, then reverse the spin 10 times. Pull it out of the water and bucket and give it a few good shakes and dump them out onto my beach towel. Roll them around in the towel till they appear dry and give them a good shake while holding the in the towel like a little baggie.

Still working on a good setup for rinsing. Have that prototype lid above, like it, but love it, No! I still keep going back to my plastic tub with 1/32" holes drilled in the bottom. I just let the water run thru it till clear then dump that into the FA media seperator.

Spoke with another Hide Member today that has CNC at his disposal. I emailed my design and we discussed a few ideas. He had several points of which I knew would probaly not be cost prohibitive. We will keep you posted on this project.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wtsuka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please send media source information. Thanks </div></div>

Contact Info sent Via PM!

New poll results as of 2/12/2011 @ 12:30pm EST

2-12-2011poll.jpg

Terry

Terry,

First time use of the SS media. Oustanding results!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Setup</span>:
* 42ea Norma brass (270WSM) cases, 9th re-use
* Thumler Tumbler - Model B
* 5 lbs of SS media
* 1 Gal of H2O
* 2 Tbsp of Dawn
* 1ea Plastic Bowl, large
* 1ea Plastic Strainer, small
* Kitchen sink

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Time</span>:
* :10 Pre-tumble (ie. media insertion, H2O fill, case placement in tumbler, lid seal)
* <span style="font-weight: bold">:120 </span>Clean cycle (tumbling at 30rpm)
* :25 Post-tumble (ie. dirty water removal, fresh water rinse cases, verify no pins in cases, cases placement on dry towel)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Brass Removal from Tumbler Technique</span>:
* Removed lid and poured dirty water from tumbler barrel into kitchen sink. Careful to retain SS media w/in barrel.
* Fresh water rinse of barrel, followed by another dirty water removal
* Poured brass cases and SS pins into the large plastic bowl. Note, any pins formed against the barrel liner remained in place.
* Removed SS pins lodged within the cases (~16 total), via H2O (faucet drip) and hand agitation, over the plastic bowl.
* Brass cases indivually transfered from large plastic bowl to small plastic strainer, after verifed "free" of any pins w/in case interior.
* Brass cases placed on towel to dry.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Results</span>:
* All cases clean inside and out. Case exteriors and interiors (major diameter) resemble 18kt gold appearance. Slight traces of carbon remained <span style="text-decoration: underline">only</span> on the cases neck interiors. <span style="text-decoration: underline">None</span> of the mouths on the brass cases were shot-peened from the SS pins. Geometry intact.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Editorial</span>:

Believe a 4hr cleaning cycle would have completely cleaned the cases interiors. Prior to using this method, was cleaning brass using hot/cold water, vinegar, and dish soap. No comparison in the results between the two methods. The "fire and forget" aspect of using SS media rocks!. Finally, IMHO the process can be accomplished without the use of FA post-cleaning accessories. However, the use of FA accessories would mostly likely reduce the post-cleaning time if, say, 100 cases were tumbled.

After cases dry, planning to individually inspect/check each case to ensure that no SS pins remain inside.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">In Closing</span>:

Appreciate your insight into this case cleaning technique. I'm certain my shooter buds will be ripping this method soon.

Mahalo

AMOK!

Are you purposely not using Lemishine?

I've done a few batches with Lemishine and water ONLY (no detergent) and was impressed with the results. I feel it's an ingredient that should be used every single time you tumble.

Has anyone tried a smaller rotary tumbler than the Thumler model B? I picked up a Scott-Murray tumbler for free this weekend. The diameter of the bin seems to be the same as the model B (9 1/2"), but it is only 4" deep. It is less than half full with 100 pieces of 308 brass.

This is the same tumbler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWWRIDXbZRY&sns=em

I was thinking I would just try it to see how well it works before buying a Thumler. I may have to just clean 50 at a time. How full are your bins when you add your brass and media?

RC,

Wanted to try the first batch WITHOUT Lemishine. Planning to add Lemishine on all subsequent cleaning cycles IOT obtain the ultra-clean results inside & out.

The journey continues.....

Fantastic stuff!!

These stains wouldn't come off in the dusty old cleaning method

IMG_5779.jpg

Needless to say...Im happy with the results

IMG_5775.jpg

Distilled water, 2 tbsp Dawn, splash of Lemishine, 4 hour tumble.

I have a couple of questions to the more experienced users. Will tap water change anything? And will brasso react with lemishine, if not what kind of mix do you recommend?

Depending on how hard your tap water is, it may increase the amount of spotting that you get when drying. Rinsing well and drying the ouside of the cases by rolling them in a towel will eliminate much of the spotting that could occur from chemicals in the tap water.

Best not to use brasso on cases, and you shouldn't need it with this method anyway.

I can't wait to try this. Please PM me the contact for the magnetic Stainless Steel Media.

M1Amen

<span style="font-style: italic">"Will tap water change anything?"</span>

No. The tap water in my home is so full of minerals that washing your car and not drying it immediately will damage the paint and glass. The Lemishine kills much of the bad effects of hard water, so I've never had to use distilled water. Distilled water costs money, too!

After tumbling, I drop my brass into a quart-sized, alcohol filled container. I swirl it around a little, remove the brass and let it air dry on a paper towel. Perfection!

Can somebody comment on how this process helps with reloading in comparison to simply tumbling the media in corn cob. I know it gets the brass cleaner and it cleans the inside, but how does this effect performance or the ease of reloading?

It seems like people have been reloading for over a century and not had any problems with the insides being dirty. The only thing I can think of is that pressures might be lower in the cartridge because the fouling from previous shots is not taking up case space.

Do you guys seem to get more reloads out of your brass when you do it this way? Has it led to any increases in accuracy over regular tumbling or is this more or less a cosmetic thing?

M1Amen

I do it so I do not have to clean primer pockets, it is faster, and cleaner for my reloading area. And it looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it so I do not have to clean primer pockets, it is faster, and cleaner for my reloading area. And it looks good. </div></div>

Yep! And you can toss in REALLY dirty range brass that would otherwise be scrapped to a useful life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it so I do not have to clean primer pockets, it is faster, and cleaner for my reloading area. And it looks good.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M1Amen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can somebody comment on how this process helps with reloading in comparison to simply tumbling the media in corn cob. I know it gets the brass cleaner and it cleans the inside, but how does this effect performance or the ease of reloading?

It seems like people have been reloading for over a century and not had any problems with the insides being dirty. The only thing I can think of is that pressures might be lower in the cartridge because the fouling from previous shots is not taking up case space.

Do you guys seem to get more reloads out of your brass when you do it this way? Has it led to any increases in accuracy over regular tumbling or is this more or less a cosmetic thing?
</div></div>

I don't know if in the end you will get better accuracy cleaning this way. You will get a fresh clean case to start with. The key to accuracy is consistency. Yes you are removing all carbon buildup inside the cases, and getting the primer pockets clean in one step. So it can't hurt. Most of us do it for the easy of cleaning. And a clean cases is the first step to accuracy.

Cory

I like the knowledge that I am running completely clean pieces of brass thru my dies and expanding mandrels.

Check.

Motivated w/ SS media process due to a) "fire & forget" cleaning protocol, b) resultant core-cleaning of cases PRIOR to annealing, c) shelf-life of SS pins, and d) dual-purpose aspect of Tumbler (eg. Case Cleaning para mi, Rock Tumbling for my kids)
cool.gif