• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Hi,

I'm new here, but a regular on several other forums.

I just read this entire thread (and several) others, and I'm convinced that I want to start cleaning my brass with stainless steel media.

I'm hung up on buying a rotary tumbler.

I know that the Thumler will last forever, but I'm not excited about spending $175-180 for a rock tumbler that I'm not going to use for anything else.

I've seen the homemade tumblers here and elsewhere, and I'm wondering why I can't just use a basic cement mixer, like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-cubic-ft-compact-cement-mixer-91907.html

This costs $176 (delivered to my door), about exactly the same as the Thumler Model B, which is barely 1/10th as large.

Please advise,

If the mixer has a rubber liner it might be OK. The Thumlers have a heavy rubber liner and don't leak.
My cement mixer (chicom made) leaked until I ran a bead of calking compound around the base.
I have seen Thumler Bs on ebay go for 90.00 several times in last year.
A guy was telling me the other day he got a drum at a gun show for Thumlers for like ten bucks ! ! ! !

Terry, could you start another poll which compares the SS media against the corn cob/walnut media. Not everybody has used the ultrasonic cleaners. As far as removing the brass from the tumbler I just place the tumbler in the laundry sink, put the hose from the faucet into the tumbler and turn on the hot water. In about two minutes the water runs nice and clean, reach in and remove the shells, making sure there are no pins inside, lay them on a towel, cover and roll them then let them dry.

QUOTE: <span style="font-style: italic">"I'm wondering why I can't just use a basic cement mixer."</span>

You'd need a huge amount of SS media to properly fill the barrel, and that's gonna' eat up quite a bit of cash.

Terry, Please send me the contact info for the media and any other items you have decided to sell.... I'll stick with the original! Thanks. Semper Fi! Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know that the Thumler will last forever, but I'm not excited about spending $175-180 for a rock tumbler that I'm not going to use for anything else.

</div></div>

Bimmer

Just stump up for the $180 and never look back. I spent a good deal more importing one to the UK and don't regret it one bit. This system works!

OK, I'm completely sold on this.

First, thank you for the responses about the cement mixer.

I'm not so worried about it leaking — it'll be easy enough to caulk or plasti-dip the seams.

I'm not so worried about the volume of stainless steel media required, either — buying 10 or 15lbs instead of only 5lbs of media would be well worth it if I could clean 2x or 3x as much brass at once.

I can hardly bear the thought of only being able to tumble 2lbs of brass at a time, and I really like the idea of owning my own cement mixer.

One more note: it appears that Lemi Shine really IS the key to shiny brass, and it's just citric acid with fragrance added.

Using citric acid to clean cases is not a new idea, see here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572

I don't mean to cast doubts on the stainless media — it still seems like a great idea to me — but it's not the media shining up the brass as much as it is the acid (note that the guy on castboolits is shining his brass by simply stirring them in citric acid for a couple minutes: no tumbling for hours, no media at all).

It seems that the point of tumbling brass with citric acid is really just to keep the solution agitated and covering all the brass — this helps explain why the regular Thumler seems to work as well as the "high speed" model.

I'm not a chemist, but there are several posting in that other thread, and they green light using MUCH higher concentrates of citric acid (2 tspns/quart = 8 tspns/gallon = 1-1/3 oz/gallon).

And as inexpensive as Lemi Shine is, it's more expensive than pure citric acid, see here:

http://www.qcsupply.com/540923-citric-acid-410-gm.html

This is going to be fun,

Bimmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can hardly bear the thought of only being able to tumble 2lbs of brass at a time, and I really like the idea of owning my own cement mixer.
Bimmer</div></div>

If you are that worried about the amount of brass you can process due to weight restrictions, check out http://www.potterymills.com/products.html . They have tumblers that will handle way more than two pounds. However, do not buy their barrels as they will not produce results as good as the Thumler barrel. The Thumler barrel's hexagon shape plays an important part in keeping everything tumbling around inside.

I purchased the smaller tumbler on that site and a Thumler barrel. It might be a little more expensive then the Thumler Tumbler but I don't have to worry about weight. If I could do it over, I would purchase one of the bigger units and the Thumler barrel from the start.

Bimmer, I was using the ultrasonic with lemishine and dawn before I got the tumbler and ss media. The ss media and thumbler does a lot more than just keep the solution agitated.

The ultrasonic kept it all agitated too but the brass was not nearly as shiny nor were the primer pockets as clean. The pins definitely make a difference in cleaning and polishing the brass.

There are a lot of bigger tumblers listed on e-bay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...they green light using MUCH higher concentrates of citric acid (2 tspns/quart = 8 tspns/gallon = 1-1/3 oz/gallon)." </div></div>
Yes, that's what I've found out --- <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Don't be stingy with the Lemi."</span></span> The original "one .40 cal shell volume" of Lemi per load wasn't enough for my high mineral water. I've been adding one full tablespoon per Thumler load and even with shorter tumble times (2 hours), it's a beautiful thing when that lid comes off. Also, if I open the lid and don't see any soap suds, I up the soap level a little next load.

I've been tumbling this 1958 copper penny with a variety of brass for at least 25 hours as a test for erosion. I really can't detect any wear yet, so I'm going to keep tumbling it til' it shows some.

PICT1375-1.jpg
PICT1368-1.jpg

vdub and Seawalker, it's not the small capacity of the Thumler that puts me off as much as the price. I know that there are bigger rotary tumblers out there (including the Pottery Mills models), but they cost even more.

I'm not ALL about bang for the buck, but it's hard to spend $175+ on a Thumler when I could get a bona fide cement mixer for the same money.

RollerCam, don't take my word on this, but somebody over at Castboolits said that Lemi Shine is only 25% citric acid (per the label). If that's true, then you could use several ounces of Lemi Shine and still have a relatively mild solution.

AFAIK, if the Lemi Shine is clouding brass at higher concentrations, then it's probably because of the other ingredients, not the citric acid.

I tumbled a 308 case in with every batch for about 3-4 months and there was no noticable weight change!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: manual</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Terry, could you start another poll which compares the SS media against the corn cob/walnut media. Not everybody has used the ultrasonic cleaners. </div></div>

I don't think that is really needed. The only method close to the SS media's results is Ultra Sonic.

However, if you want to know. Start the poll and ask what you want!

I assume What you want to poll is >>> "<span style="text-decoration: underline">Does SS media clean as well or better than Walnut/Corn cob in a vibratory tumbler"?</span>

Terry

Walnut or corn cob in a vibratory or a Thumler type tumbler doesn't even get into the category of cleaning brass that the SS media and liquid are in. Ultrasonic gets close, but is very picky about the power of your ultrasonic device, and the chemical solution used, and IME does not do as good of a job in the polishing department on the exteriior of the cases.

Ultrasonic also has a tendency to etch the cases causing them to loose 'lubricity' (probably a pooor choice of wording) but often referred to as being 'too clean' and therfore sticking in some parts of the reloading process

Typical vibratory 'cleaning' isn't really cleaning at all IMO, but simply polishing. There is very limited removal of carbon from the inside of the case, and the primer pockets are cleaned minimally at best, if at all.

I don't think there is any comparison to be made really, this method is next level in terms of cleaning. As I've stated before, the really interesting development will be when an appropriate media is developed/discovered that will give the SS media/liquid solution results, with the use of typical Corncob/Walnut processes, e.g. Vibratory Units and Media Seperators, in a dry process

Hi all,

I just tried the hot water and citric acid method from Castboolits on some old .40 S&W brass that was already "cleaned" by tumbling in walnut media but still pretty tarnished on the outsides and full of carbon on the insides.

The citric acid really softens up the grunge — I can see it flaking off the inside of cases — but sitting in a plastic bucket doesn't do much to remove it. You guys were right about the media being essential.

I quickly tired of stirring, and then figured out how to convert my Midway 1292 to a wet tumbler with a couple 5-gallon buckets. We'll see.

I've run around 4,000 pieces of 223 and 308 now.

First, I think the Thumbler needs leveling legs(other than cardboard), needs bearings instead of nylon bushings and more quality control on the container rims. It is a good piece of equipment but for a few bucks more it could be a lot better.

Second, I've found that Dawn and Ivory work the same and about 8cc of Lemishine is optimum. More or less didn't make a noticable difference.

Third, I found that if I load it when I get home from work, tumble for an hour and leave it overnight I only have to tumble for about 5 hours to get them clean.

Lastly I use empty pistol ammo holders with and stand the brass base up. I put them in front of the AC unit in my shop and leave them for about 24 hours and they're dry.

All in all I think it is a good system but I still will to try and make it a one step system that will do everything including removing case lube.

A few comments for my first post here.......I suspect there are a lot of people like me that love the ease of website ordering ....& I have to encourage those, to do this the "super secret way"! ..... I have a feeling this is kinda the way my grandparents did business .....& I don't think I would have ever experienced that had I not started an account here just to send a message to Terry....that process was an absolute treat!
I have always said that I could count on one hand the number of decent, genuine human beings that I have met in my life...after my brief conversation with Mark, I Felt like I had met another...
I Received my 15lbs of SS media about a week ago......I received my cement mixer yesterday.....mine was $161.99 shipped.....and I'm thinking that once I get it assembled....I will try to insert something like a 5gal plastic water cooler bottle inside it to reduce volume......?
I will experiment to see what fits....that seems to be the way to remedy some of the issues raised through out this thread....? looking forward to any thoughts....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brycer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A few comments for my first post here.......I suspect there are a lot of people like me that love the ease of website ordering ....& I have to encourage those, to do this the "super secret way"! ..... I have a feeling this is kinda the way my grandparents did business .....& I don't think I would have ever experienced that had I not started an account here just to send a message to Terry....that process was an absolute treat!
I have always said that I could count on one hand the number of decent, genuine human beings that I have met in my life...after my brief conversation with Mark, I Felt like I had met another...
I Received my 15lbs of SS media about a week ago......I received my cement mixer yesterday.....mine was $161.99 shipped.....and I'm thinking that once I get it assembled....I will try to insert something like a 5gal plastic water cooler bottle inside it to reduce volume......?
I will experiment to see what fits....that seems to be the way to remedy some of the issues raised through out this thread....? looking forward to any thoughts.... </div></div>

Agreed. Terry and Mark are good people, and I think the product is better (I can't imagine doing this with non-magnetic media).

Thanks Guys for the kind words, and I know Mark appreciates them also.

I have had lots of PM's from guys saying that they talked so long with Mark that the battery on the phone died. Well that is typically what happens when I call and talk to him. Lots of guys have siad it was worth it just to talk with him. Mark is for sure good people, and I am happy to call him a friend.

New poll resilts as of 2/23/2011 as of 5:30pm.

2-23-2011poll.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brycer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I received my cement mixer yesterday.....mine was $161.99 shipped.....and I'm thinking that once I get it assembled....I will try to insert something like a 5gal plastic water cooler bottle inside it to reduce volume......?
I will experiment to see what fits....that seems to be the way to remedy some of the issues raised through out this thread....? looking forward to any thoughts.... </div></div>

Please post photos and updates of your cement mixer setup and how it works for you. Lots of guys asking sbout them.

Your input and personal experiance with it will be helpful to those looking at going the mixer route.

Thanks.

Terry

WOW- I think this is my FIRST post!!
blush.gif

I have been following along on this subject for quite a while and decided to take the plunge. I have an old MidwayUSA vibratory tumbler that I have always used and been happy with, BUT, on the nasty, grungy range brass it left something to be desired.

About six montsh ago I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and it was better, in some ways. Plus, I like being able to use it for other things; tools, dies, trigger groups, old, greasy military actions. I have used the vibratory for other things too, but not as much.

But now, "The Model B"!! I didn't realize how big it was going to be. I have a small rock tumbler, but the 15 lb capacity wasn't registering.

It seems very well made; solid. I am sure the drum and base could be made of thinner(cheaper) materials, but they are not. This thing is built to last!

I have contacted Terry and fired off an email to the media supplier. I am waiting for his response and looking forward to getting started.

In the mean time, I thought I would let the Hide in on a little secret...

One of the things that I keep seeing on the threads, and indeed was a concern of my own, is the price for the Thumler's Model B. As many have said it is somewhat, or even quite expensive for what it is. Solid? Sure. Durable? Sure. Quality? Sure. $170.00? WHAT?? That's a lot of...(insert favorite food, beverage or bullet)...

BUT- what if I told you you could get it for $120.00?? YEP! I am not sur how I came across it; I don't believe my google-fu to be any better than anyone elses', but I found these online, brand new, for $120.00!!

This place is in Kansas City- I live in central Iowa. I placed my order late Monday afternoon(the 21st) got the shipping information Tuesday at 11;am, and the package was sitting at my door when I got home tonight!! That was FAST!!

It came well packed- the motor was tight in a small box, packed inside the drum. The drum was in the bottom of the box, the base in the top separated by a peice of heavy cardboard with heavy carboard spacers and packing all around. Not a scratch on it. Plenty of instructions, parts lists and other literature to go with it.

I am NOT a salesman. I am NOT affililated with this company. I just couldn't believe the price, the fast shipping and the quality of packing and product.

I actually found the site a week or so ago but thought I should shop around and saved the link. When I saw what the prices were everywhere else <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">I tried to go back and it wouldn't come up. Just a blank page. When I went to look at their Thumler's tumblers the Model B wasn't listed. I panicked! I kept trying for a few days and it finally came back. I am wondering if they were out of stock or something.</span></span>
Anyway....... The link follows- if you have been on the fence becasue of the cost, this might just be what you needed.

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Thumlers-Tumblers-Model-B-Rock-Tumbler?sc=75&category=-175

wink.gif

wantone, I think some of guys here have had some bad experiences with Hobby Warehouse. They have been selling the model B and advertizing it as having the more powerful and faster motor when in fact it has the slower and lower powered motor on it. Chances are you'll never know the difference in the way it cleans, but HW misrepresenting the product is not good.

Checked the link and they say product is out. $120 is a lot cheaper than they were 6 months ago at HW. Seems like they were around $155 back then. For $120, I'd go with it even with the slower motor if available, and I needed one. Glad I have mine already. Thanks for the update.

Ordered mine from there yesterday...I guess I may have bought one of the last ones.

Was browsing some sites that sell the rotary tumblers. One was Diamond Pacific which sells some of the high $$$$ tumblers. I came across this statement in their catalog regarding the correct use of rotary tumblers:
"Most important, you must load your barrel to about three-quarters full, regardless of material, and including fillers, abrasives and water. A load that is more or less than three-quarters full WILL NOT produce proper tumbling action." Directions I received from the Stainless Steel Media website were to fill the barrel almost to the top with water. This seems to go against the advice of Diamond Pacific. However I did receive good results filling the barrel to the top. What have others found regarding the level of water and media in the barrel?

PM'd suasponte about media.

Been searching the thread for the 'recipe'or 'secret sauce'
I see Lemishine is that all that is being used?
Thanks

I missed out on the sale at Hobby Warehouse also. I heitated and then went back to find they are gone.
But in my searching I found several reports about a family lawsuit and other issues on some RC car website.
Might be best if we stay away from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most including myself use Dawn dish-washing liquid and Lemishine. </div></div>

I also add 1/2 teaspoon of Creme of Tartar.
Seems the small amount of acid helps with the cleaning process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rover31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I missed out on the sale at Hobby Warehouse also. I heitated and then went back to find they are gone.
But in my searching I found several reports about a family lawsuit and other issues on some RC car website.
Might be best if we stay away from them. </div></div>

What does that have to do with buying a tumbler?

Terry, can I get the info for your SS media source please? Thanks for your time and contributions.

V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vossman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, can I get the info for your SS media source please? Thanks for your time and contributions.</div></div>

Check your PM's

New poll results as of 2-26-2011 at 9:00am EST

2-26-2011poll.jpg

Terry

I was going to start with the ultrasonic method but the reports of this method makes me want to skip over ultrasonic. The only thing keeping me from using SS media is the fact that I'm reloading for 6.5mm cases! Of course mine would be the only case size this awesome media won't work for
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rover31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I missed out on the sale at Hobby Warehouse also. I heitated and then went back to find they are gone.
Might be best if we stay away from them. </div></div>

What does that have to do with buying a tumbler? </div></div>

Well if you have been following this thread a few peps posted about the great sale at HW for the T Tumbler.
I was responding to a post about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .260Ackley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to start with the ultrasonic method but the reports of this method makes me want to skip over ultrasonic. The only thing keeping me from using SS media is the fact that I'm reloading for 6.5mm cases! Of course mine would be the only case size this awesome media won't work for
frown.gif
</div></div>

I've run three batches of 6.5 Creedmoor without any problems. I think that I had one piece of media wedged in the mouth of a case but that was it. Seems to work fine.

Got some of the guys in on the Stainless steel media and check out the case dryer one of the guys is using. I have one of these for my dryer. It is for drying shoes.
06dcb509.jpg

Yep, I have had several guys tell me that they are using the Tennis shoe dryer rack for that. Several other guys are using food dehydrators.

New poll results as of 3/2/2011 at 5:00pm EST

3-2-2011poll.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got some of the guys in on the Stainless steel media and check out the case dryer one of the guys is using. I have one of these for my dryer. It is for drying shoes.
06dcb509.jpg
</div></div>

You must be rich to run that to dry brass!
I just leave mine in the sun for a couple hour's to dry.
But not this time of year. it was -39 with the wind chill this morning, and I was out shoveling for a couple hour's.

I saw some dirty coins laying around the other day while I was tumbling. Thought I would give the stainless steel a test and see how they would turn out. About hour and a half later. New Money!!

Before
M1270007.jpg
M1270004.jpg

After
M1300006.jpg
M1280015.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But not this time of year. it was -39 with the wind chill this morning, and I was out shoveling for a couple hour's.</div></div>

After rinsing my brass and toweling them to get the excess water off, I rinse my brass one more time in a 99% alcohol bath, shake them off, and within 10 minutes, everything is clean and dry. The alcohol evaporates quickly and the job is done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But not this time of year. it was -39 with the wind chill this morning, and I was out shoveling for a couple hour's.</div></div>

After rinsing my brass and toweling them to get the excess water off, I rinse my brass one more time in a 99% alcohol bath, shake them off, and within 10 minutes, everything is clean and dry. The alcohol evaporates quickly and the job is done. </div></div>

I plan on trying that method on drying, but right now it's a little cool to reload in my unheated shed.
It was -25 here last night, -35 with the wind this morning.
That's -7F and -30F for you guy's south of the border.

Just finished my first batch using the STM. The results are fantastic. Very easy to use and IMHO, less messy than traditional corn cob or walnut media. I'm guessing that in the long run, it will actually prove to be a money saver since you'll be saving the purchase price on the corn cob/walnut media and the STM is virtually a lifetime product. Great stuff.

Not meaning to break up this topic but...

Question on the Thumbler tumbler...mine doesn't turn as fast as the new ones. Will the stainless still work in mine too or do i need to get another one?

By mistake and being a cheapskate I ended up with the inexpensive model Thumblers AR-1 and honestly it works great and I only use half of a bag of SS media to tumble 50 or 100 6BR cases and in a couple hours using the suggested formulas it's all shiney new looking.
Honestly I worried that the aggressive reticulated steps in the larger tumblers would peen my match grade brass and hoped the smooth drum on the el cheapo unit would be gentler and it probably is but still gets the brass looking better than new.
Appreciate the heads up on this method it's quick and my method is to tumble for 2 hours (have to experiment with even less) then pick out the brass from the drum and run warm water gently into the drum to rinse the media and thats it about 5 minutes work. If your a New Yorker type like me and impatient a quick rinse in alchohol (recycle the alcohol) and your golden.

The Thumlers Model B (30RPM) is showing on the HW site for $119 again, I saw it this AM.

V

Terry, could you pm the info for media please?
I noticed someone mentioned an issue with .260 brass, is that right?

thanks
mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: graywolf.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, could you pm the info for media please?
I noticed someone mentioned an issue with .260 brass, is that right?

thanks
mike </div></div>

PM sent!

I clean 260 brass and shake them out under water and have not noticed it to be any different than cleaning 223's.

The only brass that I have that can be a pain in the ass it 22 hornet.

Terry

New poll results as of 3-5-2011 at 12:00pm EST

36-5-2011poll.jpg