• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/caarnie/DSCF9890.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/caarnie/DSCF9891.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/caarnie/DSCF9889.jpg

DSCF9891.jpg

DSCF9890.jpg

DSCF9889.jpg

I leave the belt loose when im not using it since it did stretch over along time which is the reason for the two fat orings in the pulley.You might have to put a third smaller diameter one in the center first before the two fatter and larger ones that you can see in the photos.Arnie

Iteresting fix Arnie. I figured that is what you did, but a picture says it all. Thanks for posting them. Lots of guys on and off this thread for info and that is a big help for guys that have belts slipping. A trip to you local hardware will get it back up and running.

Thanks

Terry

I'm finding I'm not liking the cement mixer as well as I thought I would.
The problem is the media will go to the bottom(big end)and the brass stays up front and doesn't mix well because of the slant you have to have on the mixer to keep the water/brass/media from dumping out.
Now, if you could seal the front and level the bucket, it would probably work just fine.
Borg

A couple of people on FCSA have used the cheapo harbor freight ones, removed the blades inside and put in some rubber and plastic strips and bars at an angle to force agitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of people on FCSA have used the cheapo harbor freight ones, removed the blades inside and put in some rubber and plastic strips and bars at an angle to force agitation. </div></div>
BTDT, I started with 4 strips of poly 3/8 in high.
Works great with enough agitation, but cases climb to the opening, and media stays to the bottom.
Like I said, if you could use it level, it would work good, but then you'd lose all the water/cases/ and media out of the opening.
Now, you could put less (500) 308 and get a little more level, but I want to do at least 1k at a time.
Borg

I was just thinking. If a guy had a lathe he could make a larger diameter pully which would tighten the belts up and make the drum run faster.
FWIW the black rubber belts never held up long with me but the clear plastic ones have yet to have a failure.

Leaving the belt untensioned when not is use is a wise move as well.

For the ones who's brass tarnishes pretty fast out of the tumbler, try this.

After they are fully rinsed of soap, put them in a small bucket with hot water and a pinch of Lemi-shine. Let that sit for 15 minutes or so, take them out and dry as usual.

This is what I do and it woks fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the ones who's brass tarnishes pretty fast out of the tumbler, try this.

After they are fully rinsed of soap, put them in a small bucket with hot water and a pinch of Lemi-shine. Let that sit for 15 minutes or so, take them out and dry as usual.

This is what I do and it woks fine. </div></div>
I will try that today.
Thanks!

Allied Armory I noticed another variant of Lemishine at Wally World and it appears to be some kind of final treatment?????

Anybody got any idea what this is for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Allied Armory I noticed another variant of Lemishine at Wally World and it appears to be some kind of final treatment?????

Anybody got any idea what this is for? </div></div>

What is it called? I would like to give it a try.

Terry

OH MY GOD.this media is the shit.any serious reloader beginner or old timer is a fool if they wast there time using any other method.quit wasting time doing it any other way.customer service at STM was stellar shipping was beyond fast.look at garage sales ,auctions,the tumblers are there to be found folks if you dont have the money for a new one,picked up my model b at garage sale for 20.00.sold my utrasonic to buddy for enough to buy stm media.thanks STM for your help my brass is finally clean.
monty long

It is also called Lemishine but has different description for what it does. I don't recall exactly but I got the impression it is for a rinse cycle.

I messed up today. Had some scuzzy 30.06 cases and I put 1 oz of soap in and Lemishine and went to town thinking I would be back in four hours and pull them out. Well it was 9 hours before I got home and could get them out and the soap had broken down and all turned gray/bronzy colored so I drained water, resoaped them and ran them another 3.5 hours and they are now "new" looking.

Today just hasnt' been my day. Found out my fan clutch and electric fan have both quit in Durango and I don't understand why. It only has 194,000 on it so in the morning it will be fun fun fun fun getting that clutch knocked loose. I just hope I can pull the fans without pulling the entire shroud assembly ! ! ! ! Really messes up my reloading time as I also have to zero a rifle at 200 and 300 tomorrow for a match Saturday.

The good news is I got Wally World to carry Arizona Green Tea w/ splenda which will come in handy at match Saturday.

***NOTE***
For those of you that are having your brass coming out shiny but then tarnishing within minutes of it coming out of the rinse bowl.
Add Lemishine to the rinse water.
Putting Lemishine in the rinse water works great!
Perfect shine and zero tarnish.

Dr. Phils note is correct. I played with this a little since having a few guys talk about it. Giving your brass a quick swim in a lemishine bath then rinsing will take care of this issue.

A bucket with a gallon of water and 40S&W case of Lemishine did the trick for me. Then I tossed them into plain tap water to rinse.

Good observation and post by Dr Phil. It works.

Terry

This topic needs more pics! haha

Here is my review and my results of Stainless Steel Media.

Batch of Lake City .223 cases. Not yet fired, but Annealed and pretty dirty from the factory:

Here is what they look like with a quick rinse of tap water straight out of the tumbler:

And here is the finished product, after drying:

I was definitely a non-believe folks. I bought this whole setup with the thought "Hey, I've got a return policy on all this stuff, so what do I have to lose?" This is the best cleaning method period. I will be using this exclusively for the rest of my reloading days.

Just for information's sake, this is my method.
-Add brass and SSM to Model B
-Fill with HOTTEST water from tap, 1" below top
-Add 2 tablespoons of Ivory Dish Soap
-9mm Case of Lemi-Shine (Plus whatever sticks to my fingers haha)
-Tumble for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours
-Empty as much water as possible, then rinse out as much soap as possible
-I have a Frankford Arsenal Media Separator that sits perfectly into a big kitchen bowl, I dump everything in that, SSM falls into the kitchen bowl.
-Throw the clean brass into a colander (check/shake each case), dump the kitchen bowl of SSM through a VERY fine strainer (pins cant get through)
-Rinse the brass in HOT water, dump them on a towel and just rattle the towel around (Tip from Terry! Thanks Terry!)
-Put em on a cookie sheet, throw on the dryer rack for 10-15 mins, and finished!

It sounds like a lot, it really isn't. The kitchen utensils I use hit me about $10 total. The entire process (after tumbling) takes 20-30 minutes. It is a bit more hands on then old corncob/walnut tumbling, but how can you argue with those results? And in all, it actually takes LESS time than the original methods to get MORE clean.

My Hornady tumbler with Corncob and Flitz would run 6-9 hours, and the cases were not 1/3 this clean. So while it does require a little more hands on time to do, the actual cleaning time and results are a drastic improvement.

I've done maybe a 1/2 dozen load's in the past couple week's and have noticed something.
Water temp doesn't matter.
I use water right out of the garden hose that's almost too cold to drink.
I rinse with the same water,on the lawn making sure I don't loose any pin's.
I then re fill the tumbler with that same icey cold water.
But I do drop the brass onto a towel and tumble back and fourth for a total of 30 time's to make sure the outside's are dry.

^^^ "almost too cold to drink" and "icey cold"? The high temp here today was 107! I wish water like that was coming out of the faucet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ "almost too cold to drink" and "icey cold"? The high temp here today was 107! I wish water like that was coming out of the faucet! </div></div>

Move to Canada!! & the health cares Free!!
eek.gif

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ "almost too cold to drink" and "icey cold"? The high temp here today was 107! I wish water like that was coming out of the faucet! </div></div>

Move to Canada!! & the health cares Free!!
eek.gif

Terry</div></div>

I may have to do that, but I'm sure I would get stuck for life in Montana or Wyoming on the way up there!
smile.gif

I've noticed that a change in dish detergent has had an effect on the cleaning. I recently changed (as I'd ran out) and noticed after 4 hours only 90% of the primer pockets clean (leaves a ring of primer residue right in the corner) and also the cases have tarnished.
No good me saying which brand as you won't have it in the US but the one that works is a lemon based detergent. I am using Lemishine too. Not really bothered about the tarnishing but the primer pockets not cleaning up urks me!

I used to haul trailer's out of Goshen Indiana and deliver them across Canada.
I've driven Montana,the Dakota's Wyoming,Idaho.
All great state's, with nothing as far as the eye can see.

Was a Wal-Mart today to get more Lemishine when I saw a new rinse agent made by Lemishine! So, What the hell give it a try.
lemi-4.jpg

I used a 1/2 Teaspoon of it along with 1 1/2oz of Ajax Lemon dish soap.

lemi-3.jpg

Well, i will have to say that it is the same result as the regular powder type. Three hour tumble get good as new brass.
I rate it as good as the tried and true Lemishine powder. So, if you cannot get the powder but have access to the Lemishine Rinse it's just as good.

lemi-2.jpg

lemi-1.jpg

Terry

Anybody figured out or had problems with nickel brass turning black? I did a load of 9mm nickel brass, and it is partially stained black. I feel like I'd done some in with a batch of regular brass before and it came out fine.

I've had nickel sneak into my regular tumbling's and it has alway's come out changed in some way, usually not for the good.
If I do nickel brass it's all by itself and for an hour long.

Make sure your media is clean! Run just your media with the Soap and Lemishine for 1-2 hours and rinse well.

Also, as stated by Zuke. Run nickel seperate from regular brass, and keep the tumble times dowm to 1-2 hours.

Terry

Tried the Lemi-Shine Rinse in my rinse bowl in place of the regular.
Did not get as good a result.

I will try to use the rinse agent in the tumbler and use the powder in my rinse bowl on the next batch to see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry and Hummer...

Just wanted to say thank you again. </div></div>

Your welcome!

Terry

New poll results as 7/19/2011 @ 7:00pm

7-19-11poll.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">First let me give credit to the original poster of this.

"dryflash3" from AR15.com</span>

I had similar knobs but they was too large in diameter to work without hitting the rollers.

This modification to the Thumlers is a must have as far as I am concerned. I originally repalced the cheap wing nuts with better ones from Home Depot. However, this beats the wing nuts hands down. A true must have for the Thumlers owners.

1/4" Anti Vibration Nuts

They are $0.71/ea and you will need six (6) for your Tumbler, and don't forget the S&H.

Knobs.jpg

Tumblerw-knobs.jpg

Here is a video of the tumbler running with the Knobs.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylRGXfgEkxw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylRGXfgEkxw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Once again thanks to the OP dryflash3 for this info. Unlike some, I give credit where credit is due!

Terry

I just noiticed on McFeelys site that they have $1 S&H today on all orders shipped to the lower 48 states.

So 6 knobs shipped to your front door today will be $5.26!

Pretty damn good deal.

Terry

Sorry everyone, but I'm going to be a naysayer on this one.
wink.gif

I've got something even better than $30 for 5# cleaning media.

I performed this just this morning after reading this thread before breakfast. Here are the steps that I took.

1) Extra fine corn cob media in Thumblers Tumbler. - <span style="font-weight: bold">$4 for 15#</span>

2) 2 oz. of Flitz Tumbler Media Additive - <span style="font-weight: bold">$6 a bottle (lasts me a year)</span>

3) 45 minutes in the tumbler with 1/3 of a drier sheet cut up into @ 1" squares.

This was brass that an Ammo Handler at Ft. Bragg sent me a couple of weeks ago. If you know military range brass from a M249 ... you know dirty.
wink.gif

Think I'll stick with my recipe. It's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. Work smart ... not hard. I think I'll stick with the corn cob and Flitz Media Additive. All SS media is doing is reinventing the wheel. Also, I don't have any wet cases to dry out like those of you who use water and LemiShine.

milsurp223.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmtyndall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody figured out or had problems with nickel brass turning black? I did a load of 9mm nickel brass, and it is partially stained black. I feel like I'd done some in with a batch of regular brass before and it came out fine. </div></div>

I have run nickel brass along with my regular. Always have come out perfect.

5698418883_abc9c3b6d7_z.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry everyone, but I'm going to be a naysayer on this one.
wink.gif

I've got something even better than $30 for 5# cleaning media.

I performed this just this morning after reading this thread before breakfast. Here are the steps that I took.

1) Extra fine corn cob media in Thumblers Tumbler. - <span style="font-weight: bold">$4 for 15#</span>

2) 2 oz. of Flitz Tumbler Media Additive - <span style="font-weight: bold">$6 a bottle (lasts me a year)</span>

3) 45 minutes in the tumbler with 1/3 of a drier sheet cut up into @ 1" squares.

This was brass that an Ammo Handler at Ft. Bragg sent me a couple of weeks ago. If you know military range brass from a M249 ... you know dirty.
wink.gif

Think I'll stick with my recipe. It's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. Work smart ... not hard. I think I'll stick with the corn cob and Flitz Media Additive. All SS media is doing is reinventing the wheel. Also, I don't have any wet cases to dry out like those of you who use water and LemiShine.

milsurp223.jpg

</div></div>

Insides and primer pockets clean?

Those knobs are a great addition! I have changed my wing nuts over to nicer ones, but would love to get my hands on 6 of those anti vibration nuts.

Rooster, that brass looks nice, but honestly I have no problem with using water. It comes out of the tap, and dries off just as easily when you use alcohol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those knobs are a great addition! I have changed my wing nuts over to nicer ones, but would love to get my hands on 6 of those anti vibration nuts.

Rooster, that brass looks nice, but honestly I have no problem with using water. It comes out of the tap, and dries off just as easily when you use alcohol. </div></div>

I totally disagree!
It dries a heelofalot quicker with the alcohol dip.

Hello.. I'm having some problems trying to find the right formula to get this going..

I'm using 5 lbs of pins + 25 pcs of .308win brass + tap water filling the drum (1 - 2 " from the top) and I'm adding a 9mm case of lemishine and 2 soup spoons of dishwashing detergent.

So far, without varying those variables, I tryed (always using tap water):
Filling the drum with hot water + rinsing in hot water
Filling the drum with hot water + rinsing in cold water
Filling the drum with cold water + rinsing in hot water
Filling the drum with cold water + rinsing in cold water

Tumbling time is 3 and a half hour.

Brass is as shinny as it can be when I open the lid.
It remains shiny while I'm getting the dark water off the drum.
Once the water comes clean from the drum, I start picking the brass one by one and leaving it on a glass bowl with tap water flowing for about half an hour, shaking a little bit every 5 minutes or so.
Brass is still shiny here.
When I end the washing and remove the watter from the bowl, immediately a lot of marks start to show up.
What am I doing wrong?

Also, the brass is shiny as new when it is underwater. But I never get shiny inside necks.

Tap water is around 7 pH. Maybe 7.2 or 7.3... but I'm pretty sure it's very close to 7.

If I put the clean and marked brass on the bowl with water + lemishine, in a couple of minutes, all the marks are gone but after washing them the marks reappear.

I'm running batches of less than 30 pcs of brass.

Thanks!

Try to use cotton gloves to handle your brass.

I had the same issue before.

Add Lemi-Shine powder to the rinse water.
(See post toward top of page)

I add the Lemi-Shine powder to the water in the tumbler after I rinse all the black carbon water and soap out.
I also have a bowl full of water that I put the brass in after I remove the cases from tumbler.
(It takes me some time to shake out all the pins.)
I add Lemi-Shine to this bowl of water too.
All water is as hot as my hands can stand.

Do this and the brass will stay as bright as when you first opened the tumbler.

Just for confirmation:

Do you use hottest tap water to wash the dark water and soap out of the drum while the brass is still in there?

Once the water comes out of the drum clean, you pick the brass and you drop it in a bowl full of hot water + lemishine?

And then what?

Do you wash the lemishine on the bowl? If yes, do you use tap water to do this? Or distilled water?

I will try using cotton gloves. I've also seen fingerprints marks on the brass.

Hot water makes hotter brass which speeds up drying time, but I never use hot water and get great results. As soon as I rinse the brass, I put it in a towel and roll it around. I then take each piece of brass out of the towel to be sure it is dry by wiping with another towel. Brass stays with the bling and no discoloring.

For my cases, I put them neck down in a cat litter box that has a plastic grate that fits necks up to 270 cal. Place them in the sun or a suitable drying apparatus and wait for the inside to dry. I found the litter box at a yardsale for $2, but Walmart has them for around $18 new. I'm sure some other holder could be made to work well up through the bigger calibers, but this allows air to flow though from the primer pocket to the case mouth. Any water inside the case doesn't get out on the case while drying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Insides and primer pockets clean? </div></div>

Primer pockets are as shiny as the outside, but why does the inside need to be shiny?
crazy.gif

Sorry, but I'm not that anal about my brass. I reload my brass a maximum of 10X on most cases, and have never worried about what the insides look like. Stains INSIDE the cases don't make them shoot any better or worse. I can't see the inside when they're loaded ANYWAY.
wink.gif

I'm sensing a lot of O.C.D. shooters and reloaders.
laugh.gif

Thank you guys... I ran another batch and I've got much better results following your suggestions.
I'm also being very picky with all the steps. Hopefully this way will allow me to duplicate the procedure and get the same results.

Here is my procedure...

1. Add the pins to the drum, then the brass (30 x 308 winchester cases).
2. Fill the drum with very hot tap water (leaving about 2" between water surface and lid).
3. Add a 9mm case full of Lemishine while stirring the water to prevent the Lemishine from seating on the brass at the bottom of the drum and possibly creating marks.
4. Add a tablespoon of liquid dishwater detergent.
5. Close the lid and tumble for 3 hours.
6. Open the lid and wash the drum+pins+brass under hot tap water, several times, removing all the dirty water and detergent bubbles.
7. Once the water is coming crystal clear out of the drum, I fill it again and start picking up the cases shaking them underwater to remove the pins inside. I drop the cases one at a time in a glass bowl filled with hot tap water.
8. Now the brass has no marks and it's very shiny, but the color is a little like "yellow gold" instead of "white gold". So I fill another bowl with cold distilled water and 1/4 9mm case of Lemishine and let the brass soak for 10 minutes.
9. I wash the brass on another bowl with clean distilled water.
10. I pick the cases, one at a time and without letting them get in contact with the air, I wash them again under hot tap water and very quickly I dry them with paper towels.

Here are the results:

Before:
30 Remington cases, once fired, .308Win, about 20 years old, with the necks very rusted:
brass1.jpg

After:
brass4.jpg

This is a picture of a "whitness case".
The dark half is the brass as it came out of the tumbler. Perfectly clean, but still a little dark compared to the results seen on this thread.
The clear part is after 10 min soak in Lemishine + distilled water and a quick dry with paper towels:
brass5.jpg

This two pictures shows the marks I was getting before getting help from this thread:
brass2.jpg

brass3.jpg

And finally a comparison between new, never touched and never fired Lapua brass (to the left) and one of the cases cleaned with the new procedure. I hope my brass doesn't turn darker with time.
brass7.jpg

brass6.jpg