• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft stalking silently ?

Re: stalking silently ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wear some of these and they'll never here you coming

ClownShoes.jpg
</div></div>

Are those for sale?

sorry about that. Google up native American foot ware, if that is no help search custom made goods ect ect. If i find someone who will do them for you i will get back with you. crow hop

^ thanks MM
there are some real good responses here thanks guy really appreciate it

those clown shoe's look pretty good think I could rock them out on the town to ..
duel purpose I like that

. Dave

I have not been able to read every post however I don't think anyone really knows how to do it.
The way I was taught in the forces was to point the toe down first and then slide any leaves or twigs forward out of the way , then place the rear of the foot down . You do this when the stalk is getting close to the place where you will take a shot. It's too tiring to do for extended periods of time .
However it is very stealthy in dry leaf and twig covered ground .

There was a movie staring Tommy Lee Jones who was teaching a form of knife fighting, any how he wore some kind of cover over his shoes. Looked like heavy duty shoe covers that are worn in surgery.Truth or fiction i do not no but with the right material it would work. Sort of like putting a couple of pair of socks over your shoes.

Fiction . The noise in stalking comes mainly from the weight of your body pressing down on dry leaves and twigs . The leaves crunch and the twigs snap . Get your foot under the litter first before you put the weight on your sole and it is much quieter. No matter what kind of cover you have on your boots it does not change the downwards pressure and could be worse as the material might catch on sticks and cause more noise not less .
I know it works because I have used it in combat. The Army does not bother to teach things that don't work.

Have you guys seen the vibram fivefinger shoes lol? I wore some squirrel hunting this weekend... they are usually my boat shoes, but i figured Id try them out for something else, and they were pretty sweet hah.

They arent warm, but it wasnt cold out... tacticool moccasins!

Developing these new skills will require extensive time in the woods and often altering ones diet. Eventualy you will be required to produce a bowell movement. You will want to do so quitely and thus naturally consider using your fingers to disallow the inevitable fluttering sound made by your ass.
Don't do it! That's nasty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a movie staring Tommy Lee Jones who was teaching a form of knife fighting, any how he wore some kind of cover over his shoes. Looked like heavy duty shoe covers that are worn in surgery.Truth or fiction i do not no but with the right material it would work. Sort of like putting a couple of pair of socks over your shoes. </div></div>

The moccasins featured in The Hunted (Tommy Lee Jones, Benecio Del Toro) were made by www.catskill-moc.com/. The combatives sequences were modeled after the Sayoc Kali martial arts, with Tuhon Tom Kier and Raphael Kayanan as technical/fighting consultants on the set. Note: Tommy Lee Jones' character in reference to tracker skills was based on Tom Brown, Jr.

I've trained with Tuhon Tom Kier in edged weapons, sticks (rattans), and H2H. He's GTG!

<span style="font-style: italic">The Hunted</span> was one of the dumbest movies I ever saw. While those guys were flintknapping and forging the knives they used for the final battle, I'd have snuck up behind them, and bashed their heads in with a big stick.

Miyamoto Mushashi, the greatest swordsman of Japan and founder of the Nito ryu, lost only one dual - to Muso Gonnosuke, armed not with a sword, but with a 4-foot length of white oak.

Can't explain it, but some people are just "black" - next thing you know their beside you & you never saw or heard them coming. I used to be described that way.

Also reminds me of that episode on Seinfield where Elaine made the guy carry TicTacs at work...

I know what you mean. Some people are light on their feet and move quietly . Most don't . As you get older your balance lets you down and you don't move so silently as you once did.
However experience makes up for youth in a lot of important areas but I would rather be young and experienced if I could .

Actually, what lets down many people as they age is the muscle tone in their quadriceps, a perfect example of "use it or lose it." But balance can be worked on as well - which is why you see elderly people in China doing tai chi, and very well at that.

I pad around the house in socks. Every once in awhile, I'll sorta materialize next to one of the cats and they'll whip around in surprise. It's unintentional, and one of these days I'm probably going to end up getting rather soundly clawed.

Greg

I agree good muscle tone and strength is all part of your balance . However over muscled people are clumsy and heavy . That does nothing for treading lightly . Slim and fit without over pumped up muscles is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree good muscle tone and strength is all part of your balance . However over muscled people are clumsy and heavy . That does nothing for treading lightly . Slim and fit without over pumped up muscles is the way to go. </div></div>

Agreed. I weigh 165lbs. at 5'10". I am the quietest person in the house, routinely and unintentionally sneaking up behind the wife and daughters(who all sound like the approach of an armored division when coming down the hall on their heels). Sneak up on the GSD's for fun, usually touch them before they know I am there. Stalk my deer, and have been known to walk up on a flock of turkeys more than once. Probably the result of spending a LOT of time as a kid with an uncle who is an expert hunter and who did not tolerate noise or unnecessary movement well at all. I doubt I would maintain my ability to move smoothly and silently if I were to gain 20 pounds or so, even if it were muscle. Better to be a whip than a club in most cases.

Best use of the skill recently? Went out the front door one night, round to the back, opened the locked gate, shut it, and slithered to within a foot of my 14y.o. daughter, who was on the back porch swing having a phone conversation with her new(and first) love interest.
grin.gif
I stayed there for about ten minutes until she hung up and went inside, still unaware. No valuable intel gained, which was a good thing.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Country said:
Better to be a whip than a club in most cases </div></div>
Thats very clever I must remember that line.
This thread reminds me of a training exercise I did in the Army . It involved a group of enemy at a night camp with sentries and we had to clandestinely , crawl , stalk , whetever as close as we could without being detected. Ultimately we were supposed to silenly take out a sentry .
As the exerscise started I decided to hang back and see what others achieved and how the enemy group operated. I quickly realised that they had all the advantages because . 1/ They knew we are coming . 2/ They had done it many times before and new every hiding spot in that area.
The mission statement was just to move in as silently and as secreted as possible and take out a sentry. No mention of how far to move in and where the sentry had to be . So with every soldier just getting nailed by the instructers way before they got close . I decided to change the rules of the game. I found a real good hiding spot and camoed myself with leaves and brush and waited and waited until every other soldier was captured. Eventually the instructers started yelling out orders to give up , because they all wanted to go home I guess. However in the end they started serching for me as I could hear them talking , saying " he might of got bitten by a snake or had a heart attack" . Eventually an instructer came right near to my hide and I nailed him .
They were yelling at me and jumping up and down about the rules of the exercise and all this crap but I just kept saying " Mission accomplished Sir !!"
The exercise was just to give some experience at night time sorties and no soldier had ever nailed an instructer sentry before. Later I was told that they were fairly impressed but they would never say so to me. Sometimes when the odds are all against you , you have to change the rules of the game so to speak.

My wife is as quite as a caterpillar wearing sneakers walking across damp moss. Scares the crap out of me sometimes. On the other hand when she is angry abt something the neighbors can hear her walking through the house. Thank you AMOG! for the great info. MM

hunting this week with my oldest son i noticed he sounds like a bulldozer walking in. he doesnt hear so well due to ear surgeries so im sure thats part of it. tried to get him to walk on the train track rail we were walking down instead of the gravel. he couldnt do it. i think quiet walking has to do with many things but 2 of them are balance, and the ability to really hear oneself.

There is really some good info here. I would add one thing. I notice when an animal wants to move quietly, they really pick up thier feed and do not drag them. Also, I have never seen a guy who was hard of hearing move quitely. I was much quieter at 155 than 190#. That was 15 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i think quiet walking has to do with many things but 2 of them are balance, and the ability to really hear oneself. </div></div>

Balance, Feel, and Hearing yourself, has alot to do with it. Knowing what to, or not to step on, helps as well. Everyone has to start somewhere, and hunting with your father is the best first step.

Hunting, preferably bow-hunting is a great way to improve stalking and fieldcraft. When you can see and identify 95% of all game before they see you. You are getting better. By that i mean see and identify a deer before it is looking at you. Deer and other game will often be looking directly at you without identifying you, or determining that you are a threat.If they are looking at you when you first see and identify them-you've lost.

By lost i mean a "game" of stalking. Obviously you may still be able to successfully conduct a stalk on that animal, or shoot it directly.

To see 19 out of 20 deer before they see you, use binoculars. You need to be alone(not yapping away with your hunting buddy). You need to move very slowly, i.e. 10 yards/minute or less depending on the terrain, tree cover. Typically glassing 50% of the time at ranges from 50 yards and beyond. Combined with examining every potential hiding place.

Phil1: Concur 100%.

Glassing game with binocs IOT "see them, before they see you" is the edge. IMHO, Deer (and other ungulates) "sensor suite" consists of (in order of decreasing range): #1 smell, #2 sound, and #3 vision.

Trad Hunters typically use $$ to minimize #1 and technique/tradecraft to control #2. However, the key is #3 as you eloquently stated above.

I find the use of binocs especially critical with archery (from tree stands) in the woodland environments of NOVA. Harvest success rate is exponential if YOU image the game 1st.