• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standing shooting bench?...

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
Haven't really seen many standing shooting tables, but my little at home range would be much more well suited for a HIGH table.

If anyone has pics / plans / input about using standing shooting benches please enlighten me

I haven't found much on the matter, but maybe my Google fu is not up to snuff

Might want to look at higher grade tripods.

Guys are shooting very well off those.

bench wise, consensus saysyou should be squared up behind the table not using one if the “cut outs” on the side because it sacrifices position.

so really a good shooting bench has become a rectangle or U shape with the shooter inside the U squared up to the target

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Have a good tripod but looking for a complete table to leave up permenantly and have room for stuff like the labradar.

Want to also build it wide enough for two shooters

Last edited:
Reactions: brianf
Couldn’t you just look at any seated shooting bench, pick one you like, and put longer legs on it?

Couldn’t you just look at any seated shooting bench, pick one you like, and put longer legs on it?
This was basically my initial though but most of them are designed more around having a chair and wondered if people found standing tables better to just be squared off completely and if they had any experience with a certain height being a good standard for various builds

Figured someone might have a range or personal bench that they built for standing shooting vs maybe shooting from a bar stool height seat

Perhaps the question is more ridiculous than I give it credit for given your reply though....

Build a simple square top at about 42-48” high. Minimum 3’ to allow enough room for bipod and rear bag. Build it out of cinder blocks and pour concrete for the top if you want it 1st class.

Reactions: Stoweit
The heavier, the better. I've shot off of flatbed trucks that were a pretty decent height. I think right below sternum level would work best, that way you can lean over it a bit and really get behind the gun. The only down side is that after a day of shooting, my chest was always sore from leaning on the bench. It did help to kind of load into the bench like you preload a bipod.

I like the standup shooting position, it somehow seems like more of a hunting scnario! I stood up a 55 gal barrel, filled it with sand then poured a concrete top on it 4" thick. its solid as heck, Im 6' tall and it works great for me, backpack or bipod. 18$ in concrete!

Reactions: PlinkIt
even if a table has cutouts, i don't use them as i don't feel like i am able to "get square" like i want to...jmo.

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said
If you lived closer, I could make you one of these:

Mk I version:

P2aTazv.jpg

Mk II version:

v8YI8uh.jpg

I set them pretty high, but not quite standing height. I'm 6'4", so most shooting tables are too low for me.

Reactions: PlinkIt
Is the goal to be able to shoot standing, or just to get elevation to clear terrain? If the latter, I'd build an elevated platform with steps to climb up and shoot prone off of it. I can't shoot prone off the ground at my personal range. I have a couple of normal benches, but if I want to shoot prone I back the truck up, drop the tailgate, and shoot from the bed. It gives me enough elevation to see the targets over the grass, etc. I've considered building a platform for a nicer solution (can't feel wind changes very well inside the truck bed).

I primarily use a Stukey shooting bench https://www.stukeysbenches.com/ When I was shooting and sighting in lot of my big bore stuff prior to African trips I found that I could more comfortably take the recoil standing up. To that end, I modified the legs for this bench to a stand up design. I simply contacted them and got the parts and fittings (minus the pipe that I sourced locally) for a new set of longer legs. I had them welded and powder coated just like the other set. It worked great.

This little potting table I built in my side yard. You don't need plans for something like this. Make it as tall, deep and wide as you want.
Potting Table.jpg

A forward-mounted 2X2 rail, secured, makes for an excellent stop for bipod load. This position is every bit as stable as prone.
Best if it is movable fore and aft as not all bipods are located the same distance from the shooter's rear elbow support.

Attachments

• 2019 July 17_18 Davis Const APRC (108).jpeg
    2019 July 17_18 Davis Const APRC (108).jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 79
A big wooden cable spool works well and they come in a variety of heights and widths. You can typically get them free from underground utility contractors, electric co-op's, telephone companies, etc.

The empty spools from the electric cables are the best quality for a wooden reel. Phone companies sometimes have steel reels which you may have to pay for.

If you don't want round, bury 4 posts in the ground, cut to desired height and build a platform on top; or attach a heavy pallet.

Frank posted this photo in a random thread a while back and I saved it for my future reference. I especially liked the idea to use a “bench-dog” type system to be able to move your bipod rail forward and back based on the shooter and rifle needs.
Yes, I have a Pinterest. Stop laughing, it allows me to find photos in situations just like this. 😂

1611310732517.png

sit or stand it rises to what ever height you want it to . add stops or locks to the wheels and you could lean against it without it budging the move it where ever you want .
sort of raised
1611310919305.png

even if a table has cutouts, i don't use them as i don't feel like i am able to "get square" like i want to...jmo.
I'm still working on the square behind the rifle thing... I was pretty much thinking square top so I can just square up behind the table
Is the goal to be able to shoot standing, or just to get elevation to clear terrain? If the latter, I'd build an elevated platform with steps to climb up and shoot prone off of it. I can't shoot prone off the ground at my personal range. I have a couple of normal benches, but if I want to shoot prone I back the truck up, drop the tailgate, and shoot from the bed. It gives me enough elevation to see the targets over the grass, etc. I've considered building a platform for a nicer solution (can't feel wind changes very well inside the truck bed).
Little of both... Want to practice standing and clear vegetation. I currently have a rather large shipping pallet up on cinder blocks to get myself a prone platform that I can also sit on a bucket behind. And wanted to add another location in a different spot with the table.
We had also been using the truck bed to shoot from up until this year and setting up the huge pallet
This little potting table I built in my side yard. You don't need plans for something like this. Make it as tall, deep and wide as you want.
View attachment 7531771
I pretty much used this same idea with a secondary heavy shipping pallet to make my first attempt at a standing table
A forward-mounted 2X2 rail, secured, makes for an excellent stop for bipod load. This position is every bit as stable as prone.
Best if it is movable fore and aft as not all bipods are located the same distance from the shooter's rear elbow support.
I love this idea
Any insight how you guys are locking it down but having it able to move?...

If you don't want round, bury 4 posts in the ground, cut to desired height and build a platform on top; or attach a heavy pallet.
This is pretty much the direction I am thinking
Frank posted this photo in a random thread a while back and I saved it for my future reference. I especially liked the idea to use a “bench-dog” type system to be able to move your bipod rail forward and back based on the shooter and rifle needs.
Yes, I have a Pinterest. Stop laughing, it allows me to find photos in situations just like this. 😂
I gotta read more about what a "bench dog" is... As I guess that's how y'all are holding the cross board but letting it move?

I thought Pinterest was a joke until my wife started getting recipes off there... Then I ate chicken bacon wraps, chicken & bacon on a toothpick covered in brown sugar and chili powder... It's like meat candy! Pinterest is Herby accepted

Last edited:
Reactions: Anb618
I gotta read more about what a "bench dog" is... As I guess that's how y'all are holding the cross board but letting it move?

I thought Pinterest was a joke until my wife started getting recipes off there... Then I are chicken bacon wraps, chicken & bacon on a toothpick covered in brown sugar and chili powder... It's like meat candy! Pinterest is Herby accepted
“Bench dog“ is a woodworking term. Refers to the holes cut into a work surface, usually used to clamp down your work material. In this case, someone drilled holes in the shooting bench to allow the shooter to set up a bipod loading strip at different distances from the shooter. Easily movable for different rifles/shooters to use.

Love my Pinterest. I’ve found some great wild game recipes there, and plenty of other cool stuff.