• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Star Trek (with out the BS)

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    Being a border line trekie, I made the pilgrimage to the first showing and took my wife along. I can’t be real objective as I was raised on the tail end of the original Star Trek and of course followed The Next Generation and Voyager.

If you’re a fan you are going to love this movie, if your not it will still make for great sci-fi viewing.

Gone is the old way of filming. This is not like the others that where filmed and could easily pass for weekly episodes but in feature length. They spent some money and did it right. With updated special effects, sounds, large open expanses and strong characters, Trekie’s should enjoy this. I thought they did an exceptional job making a younger version of Spock and believable crew. You will not need to see anything before viewing this one.

I don’t want to spoil anything for those who have yet to see it so I will stop there...

Re: Star Trek (with out the BS)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you’re a fan you are going to love this movie, if your not it will still make for great sci-fi viewing.

Gone is the old way of filming. This is not like the others that where filmed and could easily pass for weekly episodes but in feature length. They spent some money and did it right. With updated special effects, sounds, large open expanses and strong characters, Trekie’s should enjoy this. I thought they did an exceptional job making a younger version of Spock and believable crew. You will not need to see anything before viewing this one.

</div></div>

I am a classic scifi fan, love the old bw movies of the 50s and their superb effects. Star Trek got its start from Forbidden Planet, one of my all time favorites. I think that is one of the reasons trekies love it so much, the effects. Trouble with Tribbles & Devil in the Dark so classic Star Trek.

Not that making an 2 hour long TV show would make money in today's huge budget and saturate the senses with special effects sells movies, I am just a Simple Man.

Yep, i grew up watching star trek, shatner, nimoy.

I never got into the next generation, or the other crap.

The star trek movies with shatner, nimoy were good as well.

i was a bit apprehensive seeing this movie, but to my shagrin, it was well thought out, well acted.

I especially loved the "green chick" that shatner was ready to mount.

as it has been stated, "captian kirk will fuck anything, even green bitches"

It was cool that they put this nostalia in the movie.

and Ohura was fuckin HOT!

i didnt know Spock was hittin that!

My only question is why (spoiler alert), when he leaves, Pike would assign the first officer role to a cadet (Kirk). Didn't he have any other officers on board?

Saw it last night. VERY impressed. It's been a LLOOONGGG while since I was actually excited to see a movie. This was one and I was not dissapointed.

I didn't grow up with the original. I cut my teeth on the 'next generation' and thereafter. I even liked the last show that covered how the first starship got started (can't remember the name).

Highly recommend.

Oh, Terminator is the next one I am going to have hit opening weekend!!

I grew up with the originals. I am going to see it.

(Nathaniel, I have used that name a time or two over the years. Recently I found the last original JFC to complete my set. Some good reading.)

Agree..will see tne new movie. Liked the classics, but then:
    Don't forget that Star Trek Voyager gave us 7 of 9... or Geri Ryan
    very hot...Maybe someone can post some pics of her??? Jack out there?
    smile.gif

I have never seen any of the follow ons - only the originals. My main purpose in seeing this movie is to see if Shatner's character overacts. Only Shatner pulled it off. That sissy red head guy in CSI Miami is a butt pirate that tries to do it but cannot pull it off. Only Shatner can over act. The CSI MIAMI guy got his deputy ass kicked by a 3.5 foot tall Stallone Rambo in Rambo I and cannot live it down. His over acting and over drama is fake. Shatner, in a series where adult people stood in a studio room, with pegboard around them filled with flashing lights, really believed he was the Captain of a Starship.

I cannot wait to see it. I hope I like it. (age 45)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is why (spoiler alert), when he leaves, Pike would assign the first officer role to a cadet (Kirk). Didn't he have any other officers on board? </div></div>

Spoiler alert!

Remember the recruitment scene in the bar. Pike new his dad and James Tiberious' background.

I liked it. It did screw up the old timelline but by itself was pretty damn good.

Although It did have a bit of a James Bond JR feel to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. To me, it was fresh and exciting. The soundtrack was outstanding - a mix of Superman and Godzilla; especially when the Romulan starship took center stage.

I can't wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray so I can put my Denon AVR-2807 and KEF 3005's on "warp".
    cool.gif

44 yr old trekker

Went to see it today. A really good movie with a little different twist from the original series. Great action packed film. I really don't care for many movies but this one was worth my money. I would recommend it to all ages.

I have to admit, Uhura gave me a boner, but the whole Uhura/Spock thing really bothered me. This is the definition of "GEEK"!

I hope they don't throw any gratuitous sex/love/romance into "TJ Hooker-The Motion Picture"

Saw it on IMAX yesterday. I've watched Star Trek since I was old enough to remember back in the early 70's, and while I found some of the scenes in this new movie a bit campy and the new time line interesting, I think they captured the spirit and made it palatable for today's short attention span kids.

+1 on the McCoy character. Spot on!

McCoy was a funny dude.... I need to go see it again on Imax.

The concept of alternative realities, is a good ploy, to make alternative follow on movies.
    they don't even have to make sense in sidereal time.
    I can see the new young Kirk, meeting Shatner, ala Back to the Future: "good grief, Spock, I'm an asshole in the future?!"
    This is an enjoyable movie, the actor that played Kirk, did NOT try to channel Shatner, but did give a little homage to him with a couple of his posturings, in the captain's chair.
    Doc (Bones), and Scott were absolutely great, although Scott's side kick I could do without.
    As to why Pike appointed Kirk rather than a Star Fleet full officer, there weren't any, except CDR Spock. Like in another movie, the Enterprise lifts with a cadet crew, un-commissioned.
    He appointed Kirk rather than CDR Spock, because he assigned CDR Spock as Captain, the only Star Fleet officer available.
    Gawd, I sound like a Trekkie Nerd.
    That's enough for now, until more have watched it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S

I didn't grow up with the original. I cut my teeth on the 'next generation' and thereafter. I even liked the last show that covered how the first starship got started (can't remember the name).

</div></div>

First Contact

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thumper_6119</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S

</div></div>

First Contact </div></div>

Or the series, Star Trek: Enterprise w/ Capt Archer

Saw it with the sweet wife last night and we both really enjoyed the movie. I would highly recommend it!

I am looking forward to seeing this one but cannot seem to find the time. Is young Jim overdramatic?

There were some huge fights in my house watching the original Star Trek. I had to cut some serious weight after football season so that I could wrestle at 167 lbs. I would come home from wrestling practice and have half a head of lettuce and 2 ice cubes. Then, tired and nearly delirious, I would tune into Star Trek. Whenever Kirk was hit by a laser beam and took 12 minutes to go down, I would howl. All of the actors, adults, realized they had a good gig on a TV show but were actually in a studio room with pegboard around them, and the pegboard was painted and covered with blinking lights to give the impression that they were on the bridge of a starship.

But not Mr. Priceline! Shatner really believed he was a Starship Captain! (Kind of like that guy down in Texas that really believes he is some kind of captain and that he can kick ass!)

Thie original series cracked me up beyond belief. My dad, home from work, would lower the newspaper and watch for a moment and not see the same humor that I did. Not at all... This would lead to questions about drug use, when in fact I was suffering from starvation, and then followed with some screaming and gnashing of teeth. I think this is what started my problem with laughing at inappropriate times. It drove my drill instructors crazy.

"Do you find something funny, private?"
    "Sir, yes Sir."
    "Moutainclimb"
    "Still think it is funny?"
    "Sir, yes Sir"

Watch some overdramatic overacting here, in The City On The Edge of Forever.

"Spock...I....believe...I...am in love...with....Edith Keeler..."

I didn't own a TV during the TJ Hooker years but he came back even stronger as the incredible Denny Crane.

Go see the movie. It is well done and you will enjoy it. If you want even more enjoyment, cruse around the trekkie forums and watch the geeks argue about minutia on the show. THAT is funny.

Oh, and I was alot like you, laughing at the most inapproriate times in boot camp caused me more time in the pit than I cared to.

Like the time we were snapping in at the barrels in that long boring week prior to live fire at the range. My name is called, so I jump up and start running to the drill instructor. In my eargerness to please the DI's with my speed at following their commands, I failed to make a complete safe weapon. So I am running around with the mag still in.

Of course the screams from the other DI's could be heard all over Pendleton. I look down and immediately realize what I had done...and started laughing quite loudly. I had fully realized that my ass was grass at that time and nothing was going to change that, so why not let a little chuckle.

Yeah, next was lots of mountain climbers and bends and thrust in ankle deep sand...

Those were the days...

Entertaining movie. If you're a picky die-hard fan I have no idea if you will like it. If you're looking to fill a couple hours on saturday night with some action, explosions, and space stuff it's just the ticket... I enjoyed it.

Saw it last night - exciting, fun and visually stunning. But is it just me or did the plot totally blow? My personally favorite gaping hole was, ironically, the black hole that destroys shit, destroys some more shit, then two ships chase each other through it, then it destroys some more shit. Ah, singularities are not wormholes nor are they selective. And time traveling too much these days just feels like really sloppy writing (yes, I'm looking at you "Lost"). All of the old Spock stuff just made me cringe - so unnecessary, especially when the first 40 minutes or so were SO good!

Karl Urban did a great job as Bones - totally nailed his mannerisms from the show, regardless of lines.

Not a trekki not a big fan of star trek at all but the movie is pretty good. Picked it up on DVD

=== SPOILER ALERT == KNUCKLEHEAD ALERT ==SPOILER ALERT KNUCKLEHEAD ALERT ===

How bad was this POS. Well, lets see...

In the last seen all the ships go to EARTH. There the drill starts to bore into the planet EARTH. And then? Well after using one DROP of red matter to destroy Spock's whole planet by turning it into a black whole. Spock uses 500 gallons of red matter to turn the bad boys ship into a HUGE black hole...RIGHT NEXT TO EARTH. How close? They were d-r-i-l-l-i-ng!

Need more?

Old Spock is marooned to watch in shame as his whole frigging world in destroyed (black hole). Poor guy, he just can't get off the ice planet...until Yound Kirk comes, then? Well then Spock takes him to meet Scotty where they now can beam anywhere in the universe at new record breaking faster than light speeds, literally beaqming on to a warping Enterprise. In other words, Spock is now an idiot.

Need more?

Consider this...the same moron that wrote LOST, wrote the script. Need I say more?

POS.

I thought it was a fun movie.

I liked the idea of Pike in the wheelchair. I thought it was cool how they tied that aspect into the movie.

Spoke making a killing on ol'girl...I thought that was funny. I also thought it was funny Kirk did not have enough game to make a steal.

I will buy the movie on DVD.

-Al

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cuban Croc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was a fun movie.

I liked the idea of Pike in the wheelchair. I thought it was cool how they tied that aspect into the movie.

Spoke making a killing on ol'girl...I thought that was funny. I also thought it was funny Kirk did not have enough game to make a steal.

I will buy the movie on DVD.

-Al
    </div></div>

maybe,but them babys wont have pointy ears HAHAHA!
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">=== SPOILER ALERT == KNUCKLEHEAD ALERT ==SPOILER ALERT KNUCKLEHEAD ALERT ===
    In the last seen all the ships go to EARTH. There the drill starts to bore into the planet EARTH. And then? Well after using one DROP of red matter to destroy Spock's whole planet by turning it into a black whole. Spock uses 500 gallons of red matter to turn the bad boys ship into a HUGE black hole...RIGHT NEXT TO EARTH. How close? They were d-r-i-l-l-i-ng!</div></div>

Wrong. Spock takes his craft to warp speed and the Romulans follow him away from earth.

The wifer and I went out last night to see this for my birthday. I grew up watching Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager. I've also seen the original movies countless times. I consider myself a fan, albeit not a die hard fan.

For me the movie was good. I enjoyed the idea of an alternate timeline and thought the acting was decent. Scotty cracked me up, but then again I'm a fan of Simon Pegg as it is. The acting from the rest of the crew from was decent and enjoyable. I'd see it again.

Alternate timeline was VERY well done, especially considering how easy it is to totally screw up a film by introducing time travel. The Vulcan time travel technology is now gone, and no more Vulcans to replicate it. They did a good job tieing lose ends up. Now there is a new Star Trek, for a new generation. They get to tell their own tale. I like it.

I rented it today, BlueRay, wow this was a great movie, I'm going to buy the BR-DVD, two thumbs up.

I am not a big fan of the Star Trek stuff but due to this being done by the same guy who writes Fringe every week I will not miss it! Looks good.

Bought it, just finished watching it.

Yep.

Just yep.

Oooohhhhh, YEP!

Greg

PS Uhhh...

Ohnoooomommieeee, and a gag reel TOO...?

...And sufficeth to say, no gerbils were hammered (err, harmed) in the utterly catastrophic destruction of Vulcan...

Good flick. I liked the way they referenced and incorporated the stuff from the older movies, but giving this new one it's own flavor. Am a fan from the old 60's shows.

SY

I watched it late Sat. night without disturbance and the sound cranked to theater quality on my old Bose. Despite some plot flaws, I loved it. The Doc was certainly the best, but it was funny to see a young Kirk so bent on starting fights and chasing tail. Would I see it again? Yes. I also find it interesting to see the one-world federation so easily acceptable in Sci-Fi but contested on the ground. It begs the questions whether subliminally it is being suggested or that deep down our psyche accepts that this is what we move toward...

Being that it ended well after midnight and my pulse was racing, I simply put in another movie that I wanted to see and made it an all-night movie night.

liked just about everything about it except i thought that the enterprise could have been looking more like the original series ship, i hope they do several other movies with the "young crew" or even another tv series based on the young crew.

thought it was very well written, lots of action, and they didn't ruin the whole star trek franchise by going "too far out there"

it was neat to see the relative "full of piss and vinegar crew" compared to the more refined mature crew of the original series and the movies.

the backgrounds of each were interesting, and stayed true to the character.

i liked the way they left it open to bring new possible movies and maybe a series out of it.

ahora - wow

Been a Trekker since the beginning. All of the series were outstanding, with <span style="font-style: italic">Enterprise</span> being my favorite spinoff, and <span style="font-style: italic">Voyager</span> my least.

Very simply, this movie ROCKS!

3-4 more? Hell yeah! Can't come soon enough to please me.

Greg

Loved it. Bought it! I hated the character Skyler in Heroes, but if you get that out of your head, the guy does a great job as spock. Looks just like a younger version of the green blooded
    hobgoblin!

i can't get enough of this movie I think I have seen it 10 times the first week i bought it. I like how they made the alternate universe to essentially have their own story line.